The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Crafting & XP (inspiration) beyond 50

C0pp3rhead
C0pp3rhead
✭✭✭✭
Hey folks, this question is mostly directed towards the moderators/GM's, but feel free to put in your 2 coppers.

I have 50 crafting in several skills, and I'm wondering if ESO's game system records inspiration that I gain, even though I've hit 50. I assume that eventually ESO will implement skill levels beyond 50. If this is the case, I hope that the inspiration I receive from deconstructing armor & weapons will still be added to my total XP in the craft.

For example, my clothing skill at level 50 totals 211,320 inspiration. If I deconstruct armor or finish researching a trait, my in-game skill bar still reads 211,320/211,3200 XP.

If the game later incorporates crafting levels beyond 50, will the XP that I gain eventually count toward these expanded levels? Or is it simply lost? Am I better off transferring certain items to my alts for them to decon? Thx for info & feedback.
"Things which are alike in nature grow to look alike, and the speaking stones have lain a long time lookin' at the sun. Some believe they descend with the lightning, but I believe they are on the ground and are projected downward by the bolt."

Fear my moustache powers.

Tastes-New-Blood - V14 Argonian Templar
Giblets N Bits - V2 Imperial Nightblade
Skruyue N'Alyutu - V1 Altmer Sorcerer
Jolbie Firecrotch - L31 Nord Dragonknight

Vehemence - - Valhalla's Guard
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    C0pp3rhead wrote: »
    Hey folks, this question is mostly directed towards the moderators/GM's, but feel free to put in your 2 coppers.

I have 50 crafting in several skills, and I'm wondering if ESO's game system records inspiration that I gain, even though I've hit 50. I assume that eventually ESO will implement skill levels beyond 50. If this is the case, I hope that the inspiration I receive from deconstructing armor & weapons will still be added to my total XP in the craft.

For example, my clothing skill at level 50 totals 211,320 inspiration. If I deconstruct armor or finish researching a trait, my in-game skill bar still reads 211,320/211,3200 XP.

If the game later incorporates crafting levels beyond 50, will the XP that I gain eventually count toward these expanded levels? Or is it simply lost? Am I better off transferring certain items to my alts for them to decon? Thx for info & feedback.

Based on what they are doing with CP. I'd say VERY DOUBTFUL :)
  • Auricle
    Auricle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I better off transferring certain items to my alts for them to decon? Thx for info & feedback.

Yes. I would say transfer to an alt, for sure.

I honestly don't think ZoS has thought far enough ahead for backlogged crafting XP. The theme of this game seems to be Cart Before Horse, but that only really bothers some people.

• C0pp3rhead
    C0pp3rhead
    ✭✭✭✭
    What seems odd is that it would be very easy to record XP over the maximum. It wouldn't seem ridiculous if my XP bars read something like 295,248/211,320 XP for one skill or another. Then again, my main has 50 woodworking, but still hasn't gotten any of the harvesting, refining, nor deconstructing achievements. By which I mean, I have stacks upon staxxx of stuff in my bank that I harvested & refined.

*sigh*

I love you, Bethesda. I love the Elder Scrolls series. I started playing ESIII back in highschool. What happened to the depth? The thoroughness? The art of storytelling & immersion?
    Edited by C0pp3rhead on January 4, 2015 5:04AM
    "Things which are alike in nature grow to look alike, and the speaking stones have lain a long time lookin' at the sun. Some believe they descend with the lightning, but I believe they are on the ground and are projected downward by the bolt."

Fear my moustache powers.

Tastes-New-Blood - V14 Argonian Templar
    Giblets N Bits - V2 Imperial Nightblade
    Skruyue N'Alyutu - V1 Altmer Sorcerer
    Jolbie Firecrotch - L31 Nord Dragonknight

Vehemence - - Valhalla's Guard
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I have 50 crafting in several skills, and I'm wondering if ESO's game system records inspiration that I gain, even though I've hit 50.

No, it doesn't.

The game doesn't track anything it doesn't need to, and once you hit the cap it doesn't need to. If you are doing writs for the inspiration, then it's wasted, if you are doing them for the rewards, that's a different story. But the inspiration is wasted.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, they wouldn't backlog the inspiration you gained when they raise the level cap on those skills. If they even plan to. No MMO I know who has a crafting system does that and it would make the whole effort of expanding skill leveling a crafting system negligible.
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any system that's placed on top starts fresh. Any system that replaces another should incorporate the old one. ZOS thinks differently about both.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • ashlee17
    ashlee17
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really hope they expand on crafting soon!
    Administrator of More Than Fair Guild- North American Server- Come and Join us for a fun and friendly experience - 480+ members and great trader location- all factions welcome - mail me @ashlee17 in game for an invite.
    Join the crusade for better guild management tools!
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/145742/help-we-need-more-guild-management-tools/p1
    Please comment and support this cause!
  • Sasky
    Sasky
    ✭✭✭
    Consider that there's not even a use for lv50 in several of the crafts. So I guess this gives them the option to keep it within XP learned (require lv50 for the skill) or push it outside and force new leveling.

However, I doubt they'll extend any of the existing crafts anytime soon. Provisioning is undergoing an overhaul in 1.6. They've mentioned spellcrafting as on the plate (which would presumably involve the crafting team). It's also been mentioned they want to add jewlery crafting if they can work it into the roadmap. There will likely be some changes tied to the champion system (post-1.6), but I'd anticipate those to be mostly lateral and not really extending any craft skill.
    Sasky (Zaniira, Daggerfall Covenant)
    Addons: AutoInvite, CyrHUD, Others
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Transfer items to an alt so they gain the most out of it.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • Stonesthrow
    Stonesthrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no reason, except skill points I guess, to not have your alts work on crafting.

You never know when ZOS will make a change to say… Provisioning. Where the best recipes in the game will ONLY be possible with 1 or 2 key ingredients that ONLY come from hirelings and writs. Oh wait, they just restated that will still be the case in 1.6 as well. I have several alts with AT LEAST maxed provisioning with max hireling for just such an occasion.

For example, make 6 stacks of just 3 foods and 3 drinks and all of your provisioning writs are covered on all your Prov level 50 toons for months. Just grab them out of the bank as needed as they are account based, not character. Have received purple and blue recipes I actually needed as reward, a pile of gold and on average you get 2 stacks of 10 ingredients, often at least one stack is of the 62g each matts from grocers needed to make high level food/drink, like Pingus or Imperial Mash.

As far as the 3 smithing, anyone that is at 50 has an advantage when another level of crafting eventually gets added, unless they overhaul the system. You also never know when ZOS decides to make something hireling only in wood, cloth or metal. The rewards from the hirelings can be pretty good as is right now anyway.

• Grapdjan
    Grapdjan
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be most unusual if when they raised the level cap you were granted all over 50 inspiration retroactively, as you'd instantly blast through the new content. I personally am saving a few top tier items with intricate, the rest are going to alts.