The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Are surveys from writs currently performing as expected/desired?

EQBallzz
EQBallzz
✭✭✭✭✭
When writs first were introduced they were not performing correctly and were adjusted. Now that some time has passed I'm just wondering if the survey reports are performing in all aspects in a desirable way.

First, is the nirncrux dropping at the desired rate now? Seems exceptionally rare from any node in upper Crag and really not much better from a survey.

Secondly, and more of the point of my post I'm wondering about some of the survey reports like blacksmithing, woodworking and clothing. Why do those two professions yield "random" nodes with lower level material if you did a max level writ? Why would anyone want ash wood when they burned through a stack of nightwood for the writ? Shouldn't the survey report take you to harvesting nodes that match the writ you performed?

I don't get the whole random collection of lower level nodes in Craglorn thing. Alchemy reports always give appropriate level stuff thanks to them being level independent and enchanting seem to always give level 8 or 9 potency runes (iirc) so not sure why the other 3 give these random nodes that don't correlate to the zone or the writ. It sure would help on the high expenditure of crafting mats for writs if the survey reports actually gave all nodes of the same material used for that writ.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As expected? I guess. They all work now. As desired? Not for someone maxed in all crafts. Rewards do not come close to investment in time/resources.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    As expected? I guess. They all work now. As desired? Not for someone maxed in all crafts. Rewards do not come close to investment in time/resources.

I couldn't agree more.....
    NA Server - Kildair
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    I don't entirely agree.

For equipment writs, yes, at max crafting level it's just not worth doing. While leveling it's maybe worthwhile for the inspiration - but only if you happen to be collecting an excess of mats anyway.

For consumables writs I find even at max crafting levels you get more out of them than you put into them. So for consumables I consider the writs to be worth doing.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really meant this question to be posed more to ZOS..as in are they happy with what they are seeing now that the adjustments have been made and also wondering why max level writs produce survey reports that net low level nodes (ash, maple etc.. instead of all nightwood) in upper Craglorn because that makes no sense and further diminishes the worth of writs at max level.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EQBallzz wrote: »
    I really meant this question to be posed more to ZOS..as in are they happy with what they are seeing now that the adjustments have been made and also wondering why max level writs produce survey reports that net low level nodes (ash, maple etc.. instead of all nightwood) in upper Craglorn because that makes no sense and further diminishes the worth of writs at max level.
    ZOS has already said they are looking at changes to writs that reflect craft skill level. When writ first came out, a lot of unhappiness was posted, and ZOS responded.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS have said that writs will be looked at and that there is room for greater reward for master crafters because writs could be modified to ask for specific traits, etc. I look forward to that.

My problem with the current writs is that they aren't balanced. You get the same cash and XP for each writ but the alchemy, enchanting and provisioning writs require minimal raw materials (compared to a writ for 9 nightwood staves that would require something like 35 nightwood nodes).

The balancing aspects are even worse when you consider the potential rewards from survey reports. Alchemy and enchanting reports give back more mats than you used to complete the writ: blacksmith, woodwork and clothing provide far less. Also, as mentioned, why the quicksilver, galletite, ash and mahogany? Not even enough to be processed, just sold as raw.

Then there's the "reward" for provisioning - great, I just received the recipe for the food they asked me to provide...

And finally there's the lack of a minimum reward. Optimistically opening the blacksmithing reward:

"Maybe there'll be a survey report, maybe I'll get a nirncrux... oh, just a garnet" :(
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^ Nicely said. If they increased the min reward on surveys and adjusted the nodes to all be of the same type used in the writ..those two things would go a long way to making the writs more worthwhile but the quantity of mats for the writs probably needs to be reduced as well.