The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Sorcerers...

P3ZZL3
P3ZZL3
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, me again with another "noob" ish question.

So, I've finally got past the "actual" half way point and achieved level 26. I say it like that, as I suspect getting to level 25 is prob. only achieving 3/5ths of the game as it gets harder going from 25-50.

I made the choice from the very beginning to go Mage/Sorcerer. Wasn't really sure what I was getting into and certainly didn't have a deep understanding/plan on how to build/develop him.

So if I may ask, at this level, what should I really be looking at at this level to look after me for the next 5-10 levels:

1) Armour Type (presently running heavy, about to move to Flax and looking at how to build it with what traits/glyphs).
2) Main Weapon Type (Presently level 26, beech restoration staff, with Intrinsic and Lesser Glyph of Absorb)
3) 26 Attribute points (13 Magicka, 10 Health, 2 Stamina)
4) Skill lines (Can't remember right now as I'm at work but I know I have Clannfear and twilight)

How would you guys look at building it. Where should I put the skills/attributes and what kind of staff build would be strong.

I've got another Char who's a Clothier (level3 clothing - flax, etc) and an enchanter (level3 Runes). I've read a couple of times now I should look Seducer Armour with Magicka runes??

I can deal with enemies of similar level and with the Clannfear, 2-3 levels above, but I still feel a little squishy when there are 3+ enemies to deal with.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Pez
Edited by P3ZZL3 on January 14, 2015 2:04PM
CP561 Redguard | Jabsy Templar | Stamina Build
CP561 Breton | Jesus Beam Templar | Magicka Build Forever!
CP561 Naked Nord | Tanky DK | Stamigicka Build

✭✭✭ Check ESO Server Status Live!: http://eso.webhub.eu/ ✭✭✭
  • facemace
    facemace
    ✭✭
    Well, mages are nearly tied for absolute worst magic damage class. Sorry. If you are only 26 and want to make a viable staff and robe magic caster you may want to reroll as a dragon knight or nightblade. They easily put out 50% more magic casting DPS than a sorcerer.
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    All light armour.
    Destruction staff.
    Get rid of the pets.
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Romulus Prime|VR12|Temp |>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dont listen to him. Sorc are cool, play it if you want. Dont reroll just because top 20 players in the world use dragonknight in raids. If you want to cast spells that cost magicka, you should have light armor. I recommend using 5 pieces of light and 1 medium armor and 1 heavy armor. This is so you level those up as well, without losing too much light armor passive bonuses. Also remember that all spell damage does more damage the more magicka and spell damage you have. So If you have light armor and points in magicka, a weapon like bow wont do much damage, since the damage scales with stamina and weapon damage.

Changes happends all the time in the game. Nerfs, buffs, and changes. I am sure when you hit level 50, things have changed already then.

Edit: Because I forgot to actually answer your question. What I have done with my sorc, is to level up every skill to the morph, then when you are lvl 40+ you should have almost all morphs on your class skill. Then you can do a cheap morph respec and read on the skills and do what you like best. But the pets are not good, I hate them. And detruction staff yes, as the guy above me are saying.
    Edited by OrphanHelgen on January 14, 2015 2:51PM
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • Exstazik
    Exstazik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dont listen to him. Sorc are cool, play it if you want. Dont reroll just because top 20 players in the world use dragonknight in raids. If you want to cast spells that cost magicka, you should have light armor. I recommend using 5 pieces of light and 1 medium armor and 1 heavy armor. This is so you level those up as well, without losing too much light armor passive bonuses. Also remember that all spell damage does more damage the more magicka and spell damage you have. So If you have light armor and points in magicka, a weapon like bow wont do much damage, since the damage scales with stamina and weapon damage.

Changes happends all the time in the game. Nerfs, buffs, and changes. I am sure when you hit level 50, things have changed already then.
    pls link your dps and if it will less than 1300-1400(without EH) then you don't know what means "compare DPS"

• P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've lost count how many threads I've read about the PVP v PVE Sorc nerfs and DK buffs. IF I'm being honest, I'm here to have some fun and play a Char I like. I'll never be top10000, let alone top20...So I'm really not overly fussed.

Personally, I like the pet. HE runs in and takes initial hit and distraction, allowing me to focus on the other and then the damaged target. Worked well for me personally on a previous lvl29 quest from last night, but hey, doesn't mean it always will :)

I'll work on the Destro staff tonight. If I kit out the light armour and jewlery with magicka buffs, what build would be best for the staff in terms of Trait and Glyph?

Also, which Glyphs for the Armour?

And finally, how should the Attributes be split? All MAgicka or split between Magicka and health?

• facemace
    facemace
    ✭✭
    Well, if that is what you want that's fine. When you said caster I assumed blowing things up and setting them on fire ( which is dk mage) or life drain (which is nightblade mage). I am not against "playing as you like", it was just a fair warning.
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Current meta says all health in attributes and magicka in armor.
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • spryler
    spryler
    ✭✭✭
    facemace wrote: »
    Well, mages are nearly tied for absolute worst magic damage class. Sorry. If you are only 26 and want to make a viable staff and robe magic caster you may want to reroll as a dragon knight or nightblade. They easily put out 50% more magic casting DPS than a sorcerer.

This guy is lvl 26, I doubt he cares about end game DPS that will change in 1.6 anyway. Please answer his question if you are going to post.

--Edited because of below post - removed comment about QQ--

Mostly Light Armor for the passives - you will be surprised how much longer your magicka pool lasts with 5-7 pieces of light armor.

Attributes at END GAME should be all (or mostly all) health, but at your level you can put 10 points into magicka or so and the rest into health.

Enchants on armor should be all magicka. Enchants on jewelry are up to you - spell power, magicka recovery, reduced magicka cost of spells are all good choices for you.

Continue to use your pets, they are getting buffed in 1.6. Besides that you can play around with your class skills and the destruction staff skill. There are some good destruction staff spells that can compliment your sorc skills quite well. As a previous poster suggested, level ALL your skills up until you can morph them. This will give you some experience with that skill and you'll be able to see/use the morphs. Also, Inner Light from the Mage's Guild is a good spell. The extra crit is very helpful as a caster. You already have a skill slot taken up by the pet(s) so this may be less appealing to you.

Good luck, play how you want, Sorcerers are fun!
    Edited by spryler on January 14, 2015 4:43PM
  • facemace
    facemace
    ✭✭
    I was not trying to QQ, honestly. And his question has allready been answered. It was an honest warning, if he's ok with that, which he appears to be, so be it.
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *laughing* Guys guys, it's all good.

I've read so many arguments over the last week about this will be nerfed and this buffed and this will make DK's and NB's even stronger and Sorcs are as useful as a chocolate teacup.... :smiley:

As rightly pointed out, I'm not really to worried about end game. I'm playing for fun and like mages. I'm more concerned about 2 kind of builds. One for when I'm PVE Solo'in and one for when I'm with a buddy in PVE - so I'll start considering the healer role which I'm likely to take more seriously as I level up more and look at dungeons more whilst duelling with said buddy.

Spryler - +1 and thank you. Pretty much answered all of what I was looking for. When you drill down and ask people about points and such, people seem to inadvertent ignore your question and talk about how crap sorcs are :dizzy_face:

What do you think for the Dest staff build for a l26?

• s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Sorc, if you are magicka based, you NEED to be leveling a destruction staff.
  • spryler
    spryler
    ✭✭✭
    First of all there are a million ways to set up your bars. One bar for dps, one bar for healing. One bar for single target dps, one bar for AOE dps. These are two commonly used ways of splitting up your skills. You will have to figure out how you do that for yourself. I will outline the spells.

Destruction Staff skills (morphs are my personal preference only) -

Destructive Touch - This is a great skill because it has a CC attached to it. With fire staff it is a knockback (plus a 4 second stun once morphed). I used this all the time when I leveled. If a world boss can be knocked back, you can usually solo it because of this skill (or others like it). Morph - Destructive Clench.

Wall of Elements - Solid AOE skill. Your only AOE skill in this tree until Impulse. Morph - Unstable Wall.

Force Shock - Your ONLY ranged dps skill in the Destro staff tree. The morph is great because it adds a caster interrupt, so you can interrupt mobs casting at you up to 28 m away. Morph - Crushing shock.

Weakness to Elements - A debuff that you place on a mob or boss. Good for dungeons and raids, not very useful for leveling. Morph - Elemental Drain.

Impulse - Most popular AE spell. These are the people you see running around spamming a ring of red fire around them (if they use a fire staff). Many people replace Wall of Elements with this when they get, some people do not. Morph - either one.

As far as Sorcerer skills I am less familiar.

I know Crystal Shard is a very popular ranged single target spell. The stun is nice and it can be morphed to instant proc.

Surge is ridiculously important. This is how you heal yourself. Get this and morph it to Critical surge ASAP.

Mage's Fury - this is your execute. Never use it when the mob has above 20% health. Morph to Endless Fury since you're leveling.

Magelight, Entropy and Fire Rune (from Mage's Guild) are all possibilities as well. All 3 have very solid morphs IMO.

Hope that helps! Also hope a player with more experience as a Sorc can help you even more :)
  • Layenem
    Layenem
    ✭✭✭✭
    @spryler‌ holy crap dude I thought I was the only one who thought sorcs didn't suck hahaha

PETS ARE GOING TO ROCK!!! (I'll be using the Winged Twilight as a tank... #jusayin)
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Spryler You sir, are a legend. Thanks :) And Layenem - good to meet you :)

So, Fire Staff of Destruction. Level 26. I can get it to Epic. What trait should I use for it? I see a lot about using infused? Also, What Lesser Glyph should I use?

• Castle117
    Castle117
    ✭✭✭
    sadly in Rift, EQ2/1, and a few other MMOs, the sorcerer type class has become a pve only class. the pets are never dungeon or raid worthy (they tend to be the cause of many wipes or dont have the resists to handle endgame mobs).

the industry wants Tanks, Healers, and DPS. Sorcerers should be the answer to the best ranged DPS and rogues melee DPS. the problem starts when they try to balance the classes for PVP and PVE, Raids, and Dungeons, somehow magic users seems to get the biggest nerfs.

i started with a Scorer and read these posts and then deleted it and am running a Templar. for me i can heal, group, raid, pvp, and solo now without QQ.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spryler wrote: »
    First of all there are a million ways to set up your bars. One bar for dps, one bar for healing. One bar for single target dps, one bar for AOE dps. These are two commonly used ways of splitting up your skills. You will have to figure out how you do that for yourself. I will outline the spells.

Destruction Staff skills (morphs are my personal preference only) -

Destructive Touch - This is a great skill because it has a CC attached to it. With fire staff it is a knockback (plus a 4 second stun once morphed). I used this all the time when I leveled. If a world boss can be knocked back, you can usually solo it because of this skill (or others like it). Morph - Destructive Clench.

Wall of Elements - Solid AOE skill. Your only AOE skill in this tree until Impulse. Morph - Unstable Wall.

Force Shock - Your ONLY ranged dps skill in the Destro staff tree. The morph is great because it adds a caster interrupt, so you can interrupt mobs casting at you up to 28 m away. Morph - Crushing shock.

Weakness to Elements - A debuff that you place on a mob or boss. Good for dungeons and raids, not very useful for leveling. Morph - Elemental Drain.

Impulse - Most popular AE spell. These are the people you see running around spamming a ring of red fire around them (if they use a fire staff). Many people replace Wall of Elements with this when they get, some people do not. Morph - either one.

As far as Sorcerer skills I am less familiar.

I know Crystal Shard is a very popular ranged single target spell. The stun is nice and it can be morphed to instant proc.

Surge is ridiculously important. This is how you heal yourself. Get this and morph it to Critical surge ASAP.

Mage's Fury - this is your execute. Never use it when the mob has above 20% health. Morph to Endless Fury since you're leveling.

Magelight, Entropy and Fire Rune (from Mage's Guild) are all possibilities as well. All 3 have very solid morphs IMO.

Hope that helps! Also hope a player with more experience as a Sorc can help you even more :)

I'd just like to point out that Impulse-elemental ring morph adds DoTs that proc critical surge more often than pulsar (only with with flame staff), returning much more HoT. Also Pulsar morph doesn't stack so only one person in a group needs to use it. The rest should be using ele ring due to stacking.

Also Magelight-innerlight morph is not a "possibility" but almost required. 20% increase in spell crit for a sorc? yes pls.
    Edited by Cuyler on January 14, 2015 7:47PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use destro(flame)/destro(lightning) and like most sorcs, the "crushing shock" build.

Destro and resto staff currently scale off of weapon damage and spell crit. This is subject to change in update 1.6 but is the case atm. Therefore your goal should be to max these attributes.

Bar 1(AOE) looks something like this:

1 - Magelight-Inner light
    Toggle on/off. Always have it on. It raises your spell crit by 20% when maxed out. A must have for sorcs.

2 - Surge-Critical Surge
    20 second or so buff to weapon damage. This is another must have for staff users as it will quickly softcap your weapon damage. It cost very little magicka as compared to the benefit and time it lasts.

3 - Weakness to elements-Elemental drain
    This provides an decrease in the enemies spell resistance to elemental damage, which is what you will be using as your primary source of damage.

4 - Impulse - Elemental Ring
    The AOE effect of this skill is obvious. What is not obvious is that when morphed to "ring" the extra DOTs proc the "heals on crit" much more often from the critical surge morph of Surge (only with flame staff). A combination that will help you to be more tanky in the heavy hitting fights.

5 - Force Shock - Crushing Shock

This is the fastest DPS skill available to the sorc due to the elemental damage and how the procs and buffs other skills. More importantly, the "crushing shock" morph disrupts casting enemies. This is an extremely important utility that is needed for most endgame content.

Ult - Dawnbreaker - Flawless Dawnbreaker
    Except for Negate - Suppression Field, the sorcs ultimates utterly suck. Flawless Dawbreaker is a no brainer as it passively increases your damage just by being slotted. Don't use it just keep it on the bar.

Rotation 1
    Toggle on inner light. keep on.
    AOE - Activate Crit surge. Spam Elemental Ring. Repeat
    Single target - Activate Crit Surge, elemental drain, crushing shock, light attack, crushing shock, light attack. rinse and repeat every time crit surge goes down.

Bar 2 (Execute - Single Target)

1 - Magelight - Inner light
    See above

2 - Equilibrium - Spell Symmetry

This will trade health for magicka. Obviously use it when low on magicka. Only use 3 times in a row, any more than that will likely get you killed. Only have on one bar and swap to use it when needed.

3 - Mages Fury - Mages wrath
    This is your execute skill. Increase damage/explosion damage when target <20% health. Basically stay on bar 1 until the enemy is at 20%, then switch to bar 2 and spam the hell out of this spell. Watch health melt away.

4 - Lightning form - thundering presence

I can't tell you how many times this skill has saved my ass. In a raid of 12 people when everyone dies this skill will keep you alive. I keep it on bar two and usually only need during execute phase when bosses enrage.

5 - Force Shock -Crushing Shock

See above. basically always use this skill for sustained damage so keep on both bars. Always weave it with light attacks (i.e. CS, LA, CS,LA,CS, LA, etc)

Ult - Negate - Suppression Field

This is the only reason people want you in raids. It allows you to negate all casters in the area and provides your allies with spell resistance you would normally only get for yourself. Swap for atronach or meteor if not needed at the time.

Rotation 2 -
    As stated before when your out of magicka after using bar 1, swap to bar 2 and use spell symmetry 2-3 times then swap back.

When executing, make sure to activate crit surge on bar 1 before swapping to bar 2 for execute. Then mages wrath, light attack, mages wrath, light attack, rinse repeat when crit surge goes down.

Try and mix in thundering presence every 7 secs if you need to. Crushing shock is used on this bar if the boss spawns adds during the execute phase that requires you to disrupt casters, using only for adds. If any target is below 20% health you should be using mages wrath.

Finally some other skills to think of:
    swap impulse-elemental ring for expert-evil hunter on daedric or undead boss fights that don't require AOE.

swap elemental drain for expert-evil hunter on daedric or undead fights that require AOE.

Just a note:
    This build uses 2 destro staffs. I equip the resto staff just for ultimate generation between fights and have an entirely different heals build. Wykkyd's outfitter will help you swap skills and weapons quickly inbetween fights, use it.

Happy Hunting! and here's a link to this build.
    esohead.com/calculator/skills#mMkXeek9cW0mia8A4hI8AIUM8hMj48hMZD8hmKX8LxRn8A4hI8A4fp8AIQH8AIPq8hmKX8NioF8L7JcdoQr6MdoQC6MdoQF6MdoQJ6MdoQK8e7XLaqq6raqT6raqS6Mi4bD6Mi4bU6Mi4bX6Mi4b16Mi4b48v7XMhy3D6Mhx0n6Mhx0y6Mhx0l6Mhx0B8H7Drzwm6MNieh6MNieA6MNieT6MNiey8J7DMNUIz6MNUIc6MNUIi6MNUIN8K7Drkg6Lzuj6rzun6MANRQ6MANRU6MANRW6MANRZ8O7srdeC6rdeF6zAZqS6MA3FN6MA3FA6MA3FL6MA4Cb8P7ardYw6zLp4d6cLncp6cLncn6zLyjz847pzxLCe6cxLDm6cxLDo6cxLDs8zf7zzNbo8zu7zzHfYE6zHfZd8zG7zzHQ3F8zI7zzJIoX6zJIkL8zN7zzJZcY8zA7zzKpUN8zL7zzK4EX
    Edited by Cuyler on January 14, 2015 7:49PM
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because your not max yet I would put all attribute points into health. In endgame content 2600 HP is enough to not be one-shot, so most people will eat some food to buff up and put enough points into HP until they reach 2600 then put the remainder in their choosen resource (for sorc, usually magicka).

Armor:
    If you like pets you should look into the "necropotence" set. But the regular go to sets for most sorc builds are:
    1. Seducer
    2. Warlock
    3. Willow's Path
    4. Twilights embrace
    5. Torugs Pact
    6. Soulshine (just jewelry)

You can get lvl20 warlock gear as 3 jewelry and 2 body for 5 piece bonus. This will actually carry you to ~lvl50 if you need it too. The remainder can be crafted seducer set. This gives you ridiculous magicka regen so you can spam all day long.

Traits:
    Usually you'll want infused on head, robe and legs. Divines on the rest. This is due to the percentage bonus provided by "major" and "minor" pieces of your armor.
    Enchants:
    Magicka on all armor. Reduce spell cost on jewelry.

Boon:
    The thief- for the spell/weapon crit

Weapon:
    as stated destro/destro. use precise trait for increased crit . Use Shock damage enchants to synergize with "disintegration" passive. Don't forget that your weapon can be part of a set too.
    Edited by Cuyler on January 14, 2015 7:45PM
  • spryler
    spryler
    ✭✭✭
    P3ZZL3 wrote: »

So, Fire Staff of Destruction. Level 26. I can get it to Epic. What trait should I use for it? I see a lot about using infused? Also, What Lesser Glyph should I use?

For weapons I would go with Precise for the Crit. Infused is a trait only found on armor pieces. Weapons have different traits. I play a DK fire mage so I have a flame enchant on my fire staff (of course).

Also, you should use The Thief as your Mundus Stone for the extra Crit. The Shadow is another option, but I've heard that unless you're over 50% crit, Thief is better.

Armor traits - 2-3 Divines and the rest Infused. Divines is "bugged" and you don't get hardly any additional benefit above 2-3 pieces. Armor traits like Training and Exploration are useful when leveling up, some people use those a lot. I never did personally.

Thank you Cuyler for a Sorc's perspective. Interesting that you have your bars divided by Execute and non-Execute.
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not used any training as of yet, although my mate I play with has it on his bow and some armour.

I actually kitted out 4/5 Healers Habit, just to see how it went.
    Also made a lvl26 fire staff and started getting used to those with a shock staff as #2 weapon.

Strangely, seem slightly less squishy than with my heavy armour...weird.

I need to get my clothier to Stormhaven to start on the seducer set but a writ is sending me there, so I'll get her over tonight and get cracking :) YEs, I need to learn all the traits but I'm getting there and the sooner I can use a wayrest to get there the better i guess :)

• Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭

This is not true btw:)

• phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My main is a veteran level 10 sorc. I have used pets all the way through the levels. Found them invaluable when dealing with mobs (winged twilight can heal you).
    Mainly use destruction staff (fire staff, which is great for bashing enemy away from you). Also use bow from time to time.
    Swap my skills around depending on the enemy faced.
    All light armor.
    My attribute points are relatively even. 18 Magika, 22 Health, 18 Stamina. Stamina is important if using a bow or silver bolts from the fighters guild, as an example.
    Mainly use storm atronach as my ultimate, very helpful against mobs of 3 or more. Although you will discover certain enemy are immune to the atronach & certain skill lines.
    I carry food to raise my health levels. Buy it from the npc chefs; or you could craft your own if inclined to do so.
    Like any class in this game. You try different skills until finding what works best for you in any given situation.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • facemace
    facemace
    ✭✭
    Spangla wrote: »

This is not true btw:)
    Well, everything I gave seen points to sorcs being more powerful stam than casting. And apparently you can build to tank well too. That said, if there is a high DPS casting build for them I have yet to see it.
    Edited by facemace on January 15, 2015 1:41PM
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cylers post is spot on, can't go wrong with any of that info.

If you are AD, drop me a line. I've just levelled up a sorc and this time around I didn't deconstruct everything. I've probably got some decent gear for a sorc you can have FOC... if your AD that is :wink:
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• WolfingHour
    WolfingHour
    ✭✭✭✭
    P3ZZL3 wrote: »

I wouldn't spend top tier mats with your gear right now since you level so fast that the gear can start to get out dated in a couple of days. Green/Blue is enough.

Best to save those to later stages of the game and spend your money in things that are useful for you right now like horse foodsies, a couple of soulgems and bank/bag space. :smiley:
    Edited by WolfingHour on January 15, 2015 11:20PM
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What???? Stamina sorc close to 300 weapon damage.Highest weapon damage in the game... They easily crack 1100 with a bow.....Most DK's still can't break 1k from any range.. They have to be close and the have to master the timing of the dots....
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I do agree sorcs need something more especially in PvP... They are the best at running in a fight :)
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone who has taken the time to write out long, detailed responses in this thread has given you good advice. Especially @Cuyler , although this part:
    Cuyler wrote: »
    Ult - Dawnbreaker - Flawless Dawnbreaker
    Except for Negate - Suppression Field, the sorcs ultimates utterly suck. Flawless Dawbreaker is a no brainer as it passively increases your damage just by being slotted. Don't use it just keep it on the bar.
    likely isn't very helpful to the OP at this stage. The only reason I say that is that this particular ultimate requires a Fighters Guild skill level of 10 IIRC, and a level 26 is likely very far away from getting to that rank in Fighters Guild. I know I didn't get there until I was VR3 or 4. It's good advice for later, but for now I'd recommend putting Summon Storm Atronach there instead - particularly if you've got Negate on the other bar as @Cuyler recommends. That way you've got a great utility ultimate on one bar, and a decent damage ultimate on the other.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Castle117 wrote: »
    sadly in Rift, EQ2/1, and a few other MMOs, the sorcerer type class has become a pve only class. the pets are never dungeon or raid worthy (they tend to be the cause of many wipes or dont have the resists to handle endgame mobs).

the industry wants Tanks, Healers, and DPS. Sorcerers should be the answer to the best ranged DPS and rogues melee DPS. the problem starts when they try to balance the classes for PVP and PVE, Raids, and Dungeons, somehow magic users seems to get the biggest nerfs.

i started with a Scorer and read these posts and then deleted it and am running a Templar. for me i can heal, group, raid, pvp, and solo now without QQ.

It's true and since I create a mage / sorc in every MMO and played most MMOs, those classes ALWAYS end up:

- Clashing with melee DPS about the numbers casters should pull.

- Nerfed to the ground because in most game they can "blink", "warp", "streak" and similar and the "fair drawback" is to make them suck.

- Nerfed to the ground because they "pew pew from safe distance while we risk in close combat".

- Nerfed to the ground because "we only deal DPS, sorcs should not have any utility and only deal DPS".

End result?

The last game where I played a Sorc / mage with fun, has been Dungeon and Dragons rules based games. This means very few and often ancient games.

Furthermore:

To the guy who argues "who cares I am not a top 20 world player": this is not true. Whereas those extreme performance differences indeed tend to happen with top players, the effects ripple down to "normal guys".

Like in most MMOs, a class doing worse than another, soon gets a "stigma" and its players get classed as second class citizens, to take only when a "first grade class" is not available. Since players are not stupid, after a while many reroll to the "first grade class" therefore the "first grade class" becomes always available and the second class (even if it comes close!) gets ostracized.

This is expecially worse in ESO, because only in ESO you can directly compare classes performing a lot of common skills. A class that can cast crushing shock and deal the same damage of another but it can ALSO intermix additional more damage gets naturally preferred.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At your level, pets are still fine, at least in solo content. The Twilight Matriarch saved my ass many times while leveling. Also, pets split aggro, which can be a big help when you're a glass canon.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle