The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

LOL, but its funny, what do i do?

Wing
Wing
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
so I was going to LOL a funny post but then realized that its kind of reserved for downvoting or neg rep, "lol that's stupid" if you will.

so my question is what do I use instead?

I am thinking agree and insightful are pretty straight forward, so perhaps awesome should be the new "that's legitimately awesome or funny" ?

it seems to fit the best, opinions welcome XD
ESO player since beta.
full time subscriber.
PC NA
( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
DK one trick
  • Blud
    Blud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just LOL if it's funny.

It's all you can do. I don't care about LOLs that are just snarky, anyway.

LOL means what you want to it mean. Don't let other people distort the meaning.
    Edited by Blud on December 31, 2014 3:04PM
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone use LOL for mocking people. I use lol only if it's funny.
    Edited by AshySamurai on December 31, 2014 3:56PM
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think you can still LOL if you prefer to LOL. There is no official down vote option. A lot of people do take LOL in the spirit of "hey that's funny".

However, I started using Awesome for posts like you describe because from a previous poll on the issue, I discovered there are also a lot of sensitive people who think LOL is an insult and I didn't want to hurt their feelings.

So Awesome might be the safer bet if you are concerned about that.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just LOL'd you cause I thought your post was funny. We've all been there.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They won't put a down vote option because someone's feelings might get hurt, political correctness and all.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wing wrote: »
    so I was going to LOL a funny post but then realized that its kind of reserved for downvoting or neg rep, "lol that's stupid" if you will.

If I find a funny post to be well thought-out or truly hilarious, I think it has earned an "Awesome" rating. Quick jabs and dirty jokes not so much, usually.
  • MiyaTheUnbroken
    MiyaTheUnbroken
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use "LOL" if the post actually made me laugh aloud. Otherwise I use "Awesome."
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just "LOL'd" you, why? You'll never know...

Dunn dunnn dunnnn!
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use LOL for funny things.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol (pun intended)

I looked at my post before reading the replies and saw the lol's and was like "what did I do?!"
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • Oolou
    Oolou
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using the awesome option instead. If someone's managed to make me smile with their post, it feels just as appropriate to click that.
  • McLukos
    McLukos
    ✭✭✭
    If i laugh out loud at a comment... I use LOL
  • madfeldoreb17_ESO

I am thinking agree and insightful are pretty straight forward, so perhaps awesome should be the new "that's legitimately awesome or funny" ?

Well have to say I've thought a bit about that myself too - even though I do not write much here.
    I guess my opinion would be, if you get replies and "what kind of those are", that counts, not the LOL "votes" etc. :smile:
    I never kinda liked the lol thing in history of "internet talks" but then again, it has come part of it and even if the meaning can be a bit difficult to notice, I do accept that it exists. LOL yeah! Seriously (oh no heh) to me the original meaning has been that something is funny in a good way and, might even actually be laughing like if someone told a good joke or story etc. but yes, it can be considered different here, or is it?
    Some can even add :smile: there like LOL :smiley: Or is it just me?

This doesn't answer your question I guess (from my part that is), but btw. guess what I gave you?

PS. I only have 1 LOL on my profile, feel free to add some more *hint* *hint*

Take care,

Cheers...

Edited by madfeldoreb17_ESO on December 31, 2014 5:29PM
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Well have to say I've thought a bit about that myself too - even though I do not write much here.
    I guess my opinion would be, if you get replies and "what kind of those are", that counts, not the LOL "votes" etc. :smile:
    I never kinda liked the lol thing in history of "internet talks" but then again, it has come part of it and even if the meaning can be a bit difficult to notice, I do accept that it exists. LOL yeah! Seriously (oh no heh) to me the original meaning has been that something is funny in a good way and, might even actually be laughing like if someone told a good joke or story etc. but yes, it can be considered different here, or is it?
    Some can even add :smile: there like LOL :smiley: Or is it just me?

This doesn't answer your question I guess (from my part that is), but btw. guess what I gave you?

Take care,

Cheers...

tumblr_ljkahzoZ671qanb21o1_500.gif
    Edited by DDuke on December 31, 2014 5:40PM
  • jrgray93
    jrgray93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here is a rundown of what each one is for:

Flag:
    - The poster called me a name.
    Quote:
    - I have a legitimate need to post a response to this person in particular
    - I need to smugly modify what (s)he said, to better suit my agenda
    - Reposting 50 paragraph posts is fun
    Insightful:
    - Useful information
    - Absolutely useless information, but I love irony
    Agree:
    - Agree
    - Those sure are words you said, and I like words
    Awesome:
    - Really cool, useful, or funny
    - ZOS staff did a good
    LOL:
    - This is funny
    - You're a complete moron and should drown, no matter your intentions
    - ZOS staff did a bad
    - ZOS posted a fix for an annoying bug, but we must laugh at their mistakes (silly humans)
    Edited by jrgray93 on December 31, 2014 6:02PM
    EP: Slania Isara : Harambe Was an Inside Job
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laugh with them or at them. Pretty sure they know how its intended.
  • Rezzy64
    Rezzy64
    ✭✭✭
    I use LOL when something makes me legitimately laugh... however I will admit that some of the posts that actually make me laugh are in fact meant to be taken seriously.
  • madfeldoreb17_ESO
    Btw. thank you all for the LOLs I got after my post, on my previous one as asked got delivered :blush:

@DDuke‌

Cool pic! :smiley:

@jrgray93‌
    Nice rundown! Almost fully agree but like Insightful option "Absolutely useless information, but I love irony" well... never thought it like that heh. I guess that's true also then or can. How to tell? That's ... we are at the start again?

Cheers...
    Edited by madfeldoreb17_ESO on January 3, 2015 4:29PM
  • Bloodystab
    Bloodystab
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use LOL in both funny & stupid moments.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I used to think LOL meant funny til there was a poll that implied it was used as a negative. Seems since there was no way to denote in the negative, this became the default for disliking a post. Now I use it as....wait for it,,,,,,both funny and negative. Don't really care if some folks have turned standard LOL into something it wasn't intended for, but also agree it's an okay way to dislike. And I don't care if LOLs I get are meant good or bad, they all count towards LOL badge, so bring 'em on! >:)B)
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My only problem with the system is that there is no good way to subvert that stupid Agree button. :#
    It's unbearable.
    Edited by PBpsy on January 3, 2015 7:36PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes bad posts are so bad or mislead they are as funny as if the person was making a joke, even if it was real.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LOL generally means it's funny, so that's what I assume most people use it for.

However, if someone(like the idiot I have quoted in my signature) makes some arrogant or mean comment, I give them an LOL, as I am laughing at their stupidity.

Depends on the situation I guess.
  • themizario
    themizario
    ✭✭✭
    Did everyone get lols but me?
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    there u go ;)
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    themizario wrote: »
    Did everyone get lols but me?

I bestow upon you...

THE LOL OF DESTINY
  • Ahdora
    Ahdora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I'd been using LOL for things I found humorous, and then a friend insisted it was only meant negatively. Clearly others use it to mark something as funny as well, but I'll just start using the Awesome one instead, I guess.
    Heals With Stick, V11 Argonian Nightblade Healer, NA-EP
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait LOL is negative?
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Awesome can be sarcastic as well I guess :-P
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iago wrote: »
    wait LOL is negative?
    Since there is no 'disagree', it's being use for that. No hard and fast rule though. I use it for both. Probably only matters to those with thin skins. I'll take the LOL regardless how it's meant. They all count toward my next badge. Besides, I believe in the old saying: *** em if they can't take a joke. B)>:)
    PC/NA/DC