The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Would you like to see a grid based inventory in the game?

• Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, an optional grid based inventory would really make inventory management seamless
    Razzak wrote: »
    Vikestart wrote: »
    Faugaun wrote: »
    I use an add-on (forget the name off hand) to improve sorting. It breaks the native categories into nice sub catagories. For instance weapons are sub categorized into 1h, 2h, bow, rest staff, destro staff etc.... The materials are broken up by crafting skill, consumables are separated by type, plus there is a grid based add-on, but it seems completely unnecessary to use the grid style.

But then you have to click 2 times to get to the items you want.

With a grid inventory, you'll be able to see and interact with all of the items in your inventory instantaneously, and you can place them wherever you want, so you know exactly in what corner of the inventory bag you ought to look for them.

Sounds faster and a lot more convenient if you ask me :stuck_out_tongue:

I don't think those that are opposed to your idea really do understand what we are talking about. They probably see a grid as something that only presents and sorts things differently.

Possibly... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Here's an example from The Secret World, that I added to the OP as well:
    [revoked image]
    Edited by Vikestart on January 4, 2015 3:33PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think it's needed, the list-based inventory is sufficient.

I don't think those that are opposed to your idea really do understand what we are talking about. They probably see a grid as something that only presents and sorts things differently.

It's certainly possible that we're all as dumb as you're making out.

It's also possible that we all understand perfectly well what is being proposed and why, but just don't personally see a need for it.

It's equally possible that some of us at least are happy with the overall feel of the game as it is, and are tired of all the "change this" and "add that" topics the sole aim of which is to remove the distinctive style of the game and turn it into another standard MMO clone. All these topics do is propose changes because "that's the way other MMOs do it".
    Edited by Tandor on January 4, 2015 2:38PM
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, an optional grid based inventory would really make inventory management seamless
    Tandor wrote: »

It's also possible that we all understand perfectly well what is being proposed and why, but just don't personally see a need for it.

Well, there seemed to be some uncertainty about whether they're order automatically or can be moved around freely to empty cells. That's one of the key points here.

The addon mentioned earlier doesn't give you the ability to do that.
  • fiftypercentgrey
    fiftypercentgrey
    ✭✭✭
    The add-on works 110% and is perfect, customisable and literally everything you described and asked for...
    The add-on is your option.

Which add-on is that?

a few posts above your question:

or:

Some Addons that might help

Inventory Grid View
    Inventory Grid View, updated and all. Works fine.

Advanced Filters
    for item sorting - can work in the guildstore with another addon, too

Crafting Materials Level Display
    displays the level of crafting materials which is damn useful!

Sous Chef
    helps to sort out those provisioning supplies

there are more, of course. Look for yourself at ESO UI
    Edited by fiftypercentgrey on January 4, 2015 2:44PM
    ἀπόκρυφος
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with grid view in this game (and why I stopped using Inventory Grid View addon) is that there are a lot of "similar but different" item in this game with the same icon.

As a result I found I had to mouse-over the icons all the time to see exactly what the item was, thus saving no time at all as the standard view gives you the name of the item without having to mouse over.

So a functional grid view inventory in this game would have to have separate recognizable icons for, say, "Iron Dagger of Frost, with Stamina Enchant and Sharpened triat", and "Iron Dagger of Fire, with Magicka Enchant and Powered Trait".

Right now those icons look exactly the same, hence no time savings. What I would support is the ability to:

1. Open more than 1 window at a time
    2. Inventory that has more lines than it does currently, like two columns side by side
    3. Native sorting options, like the "Advanced Filters" addon.

Edit: even looking at the op's picture from Secret World, you can see in the purple icons at least 4 items that share the same icon as another 4 items. So you have to individually mouse over them to tell what is what. In this case having them all on-screen with full text would provide faster and clearer distinction.
    Edited by danno8 on January 4, 2015 2:54PM
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with grid view in this game (and why I stopped using Inventory Grid View addon) is that there are a lot of "similar but different" item in this game with the same icon.

As a result I found I had to mouse-over the icons all the time to see exactly what the item was, thus saving no time at all as the standard view gives you the name of the item without having to mouse over.

So a functional grid view inventory in this game would have to have separate recognizable icons for, say, "Iron Dagger of Frost, with Stamina Enchant and Sharpened triat", and "Iron Dagger of Fire, with Magicka Enchant and Powered Trait".

Right now those icons look exactly the same, hence no time savings. What I would support is the ability to:

1. Open more than 1 window at a time
    2. Inventory that has more lines than it does currently, like two columns side by side
    3. Native sorting options, like the "Advanced Filters" addon.

Edit: even looking at the op's picture from Secret World, you can see in the purple icons at least 4 items that share the same icon as another 4 items. So you have to individually mouse over them to tell what is what. In this case having them all on-screen with full text would provide faster and clearer distinction.

I don't think it would be a problem if we could rearrange items as desired, with a lot of empty cells we can move items to.

You would put items that you use regularly in places in the bag(s) so you how what items they are simply based on their location.

Also, I don't see myself haivng so many similar items in my inventory that it becomes the problem you described :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Suffice it to say, a lot of the gear icons in The Secret World are very similar, and some identical, yet I've not had this problem. At least not to the degree that I'm affected by it. It's still very fast.

With the current lists in ESO, you often have to scroll down a long list, so yeah... that's good either.
    Edited by Vikestart on January 4, 2015 3:01PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All these topics do is propose changes because "that's the way other MMOs do it".
    That's not fair at all. There are many changes or additions that would result in a more functional UI for this game, for easier navigation, greater information and give people a choice of how they like their information presented.

I think looking at the game from the perspective of "This is how ZoS made it so it must be the best way" is just as short-sighted and narrow minded as the reasoning you give in your quote above.

There is always room for improvement, and frankly ZoS looks to the community for ideas. Don't take my word for it though, ask them yourself and they will tell you the same thing.
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    All these topics do is propose changes because "that's the way other MMOs do it".

No, I proposed it because I think it's a better inventory system that makes all items more accessible simultaneously and enables better micromanagement of any item group from a simple overview.

I'm used to it from other MMOs, yes, but that's not why I'm suggesting it.
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current UI for inventory, but with advanced filtering works great. The example you provided from TSW is not appealing to me.
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played TSW still have a lifetime pre-order sub. Their grid system was the best around ...I give you that much. I think I completly understand what you are asking but perhaps the reason I don't want it is less clear.

The reason is that an alphabetical list with adequate sorting is already present, functional and (in my opinion) more efficient. I don't have to constantly organize new drops because I just click the category and it is alphabetical. Sorting 100 icons every hour would become annoying....that said there is an add-on for exactly that.

In my humble opinion, low level functionality, ui changes and all similar action should be done through addons while the base ui should be nice and streamlined. Asking the devs to design 2 different inventory systems, and redundant systems for other aspects of the games removes development resources from things much more important: like new content, skill balancing, new features, a justice system....the list goes on...so yeah if I have an improved sort that requires 2-clicks and moving my mouse a half inch and save myself a lot of time in the process....and it allows the devs to develop new stuff .....then that is fine by me.
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    Current UI for inventory, but with advanced filtering works great. The example you provided from TSW is not appealing to me.

Ok, don't know if that's because of the interface style or whatever, but I replaced the image with a photoshopped screenshot of ESO inventory showing what it could look like: http://i.imgur.com/DewVSW2.png
    In my humble opinion, low level functionality, ui changes and all similar action should be done through addons while the base ui should be nice and streamlined.
    What's low level functionality and not is highly subjective, yeah?

Asking the devs to design 2 different inventory systems, and redundant systems for other aspects of the games removes development resources from things much more important: like new content, skill balancing, new features, a justice system....the list goes on...
    Not it doesn't. If you think all the developers work on the same things, you aren't entitled to speak about resource allocation.

UI upgrades won't affect the resources allocated to skill balancing for instance....
    Edited by Vikestart on January 4, 2015 3:40PM
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's low level functionality and not is highly subjective, yeah?

Agree it is subjective
    Not it doesn't. If you think all the developers work on the same things, you aren't entitled to speak about resource allocation.

UI upgrades won't affect the resources allocated to skill balancing for instance....

Disagree.....consider you have 1000 man hours per week of productivity that your budget allows, and said project requires 4 hours to complete then that is 4 hours not being used elsewhere. You start to nickle and dime projects on top of that and very soon it is a large portion of your total man-hours avaliable tied up on useless projects.

I don't think all devs do the same task by any means, I'm saying shrink the UI development team and move the resource to content development. The player community can develop what it wants for ui related stuff (and we as end users probably understand better what the ui needs than some of the devs, simply because we use it more).

At the end of the day ZOS only has so many hours of development they can and/or are willing to allocate on a weekly basis to this project. Time spent making a completely unnecessary second bag UI is wasted compared to what it could be used to produce.
  • kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make it an option please ZoS.
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree.....consider you have 1000 man hours per week of productivity that your budget allows, and said project requires 4 hours to complete then that is 4 hours not being used elsewhere. You start to nickle and dime projects on top of that and very soon it is a large portion of your total man-hours avaliable tied up on useless projects.

I don't think all devs do the same task by any means, I'm saying shrink the UI development team and move the resource to content development. The player community can develop what it wants for ui related stuff (and we as end users probably understand better what the ui needs than some of the devs, simply because we use it more).

Regardless, it's still pretty common in MMOs that when a certain part of the team have done the main work for a major update, they might have time to work on some smaller Quality of Life improvements before the update is released.

This could be one of those things they could manage to sneak in with one of the upcoming updates.
    At the end of the day ZOS only has so many hours of development they can and/or are willing to allocate on a weekly basis to this project. Time spent making a completely unnecessary second bag UI is wasted compared to what it could be used to produce.
    What you consider a waste of time and resources might not be what others consider a waste of such.

Which is why that's not a valid point for why it doesn't belong in the game, but I do respect that you don't think it's worth spending time and resources on. :)
    Edited by Vikestart on January 4, 2015 4:11PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not fair at all. There are many changes or additions that would result in a more functional UI for this game, for easier navigation, greater information and give people a choice of how they like their information presented.

Indeed, and the way that ES games deal with that is by the use of addons.
    I think looking at the game from the perspective of "This is how ZoS made it so it must be the best way" is just as short-sighted and narrow minded as the reasoning you give in your quote above.

I'm not suggesting that, I'm simply suggesting that the fact that ZOS do things differently is not in itself a reason to change it so as to be like all the rest.
    There is always room for improvement, and frankly ZoS looks to the community for ideas. Don't take my word for it though, ask them yourself and they will tell you the same thing.

The point being? Check the poll result. There's no clear majority in favour of making this proposed change, in fact there isn't currently a majority for change at all.
  • a.grespinrb19_ESO
    a.grespinrb19_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    An add on exists all ready which is exactly like that
    Been here since the beta
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is it needed?

1) there is an existing system that functions as designed
    2) if you don't like the existing system there are many viable add-on alternatives, including grid designs

Now I don't want it and you do, but in absolutely no way does it fall into the need category.

That said if it is only a want (not a need) then you and I have different opinions. I place a higher priority on new content, new systems, new other stuff. Your priority is on a bag ui, of which there is already an existing bag ui and many alternatives (via the add-on system). I would imagine much of the player base agrees with a prioritization that does not include duplication of something already present. That said I have been wrong before.
  • Layenem
    Layenem
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't even know why this thread exists. You're only going to get told that the UI allows people to make a mod for this, which there are. And before "we shouldn't have to have a mod to blah blah blah..." consider the idea that others don't want grid based and love list based.

This is a non issue.
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    Layenem wrote: »
    I don't even know why this thread exists.
    I'll make a note of asking you first before making a thread. Only things you agree on is a valid topic for a thread, apparently..
    I(...) consider the idea that others don't want grid based and love list based.
    Which is why it would be optional. Noone's taking anything away from you.

Consider the idea that a fair amount of people might want this, as seen in the poll.

Anyway, a forum poll really can't be considered representative for the entire playerbase anyway.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll make a note of asking you first before making a thread. Only things you agree on is a valid topic for a thread, apparently..

My, aren't we being sensitive. All he's saying is that the proposal already exists, in the form of an add-on, and therefore it's unnecessary to ask ZOS to duplicate it.
    Anyway, a forum poll really can't be considered representative for the entire playerbase anyway.

Unless, presumably, the majority supports the poll-maker in which case it's more a case of "the players have spoken" ;)!
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's equally possible that some of us at least are happy with the overall feel of the game as it is, and are tired of all the "change this" and "add that" topics the sole aim of which is to remove the distinctive style of the game and turn it into another standard MMO clone. All these topics do is propose changes because "that's the way other MMOs do it".

If you would stop to think before you made this reply, you could come to the conclusion that I was not painting you dumn. Just as someone who doesn't understand. There is a difference, you know.

Which one?
    I(...) consider the idea that others don't want grid based and love list based.
    Which is why it would be optional. Noone's taking anything away from you.

Consider the idea that a fair amount of people might want this, as seen in the poll.

That's right ... as an option.
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noone's taking anything away from you.

Incorrect, this would be taking time away from developing something else

Which one?

Here's a link to 129 add-on that modify bag functionality:
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/cat20.html
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    My, aren't we being sensitive. All he's saying is that the proposal already exists, in the form of an add-on, and therefore it's unnecessary to ask ZOS to duplicate it.
    No, I found the "no reason for thread to exist" attitude to be offensive. Only because there's an addon for something doesn't mean it shouldn't be made part of the native game.

Besides, the addon doesn't do 100% of the things from this concept, such as allowing you to move items around. That would be very useful.

I've seen this process in other MMOs. Features from addons sometimes get added to the base game. So it does in no way mean it's not allowed to raise a voice for doing so, just because an addon exists.

Addons can suddenly stop being updated and break, and they are not an official feature in the game.
    Unless, presumably, the majority supports the poll-maker in which case it's more a case of "the players have spoken" ;)!
    No, in any case. I made this poll to see what people here think, in general.

It doesn't mean I'm under the illusion that it represents the whole playerbase, not even proportionally.

But you can get a sense of whether there's a "general" desire for something, and there seems to be, even if the small majority is on the "No" side at the moment.

The poll isn't definite in any way.
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noone's taking anything away from you.

Incorrect, this would be taking time away from developing something else

Which one?

Here's a link to 129 add-on that modify bag functionality:
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/cat20.html

What do you think person who designed this UI is working on now? Server code, new graphics, sound effects?
    She/he is working on a completely NEW UI for consoles. That's why we can't get any kind of improvements ot ours.

There is not one add-on, among those 129, that solves what OP is talking about.
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the add on and it works fine.
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's grid layout specific one's

310k downloads updated last in November
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info65-InventoryGridView.html

1k downloads updated in November appears to have a grid display and added sort functionality
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info677-QualitySort.html

600 downloads updated last June
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info583-InventoryGridViewSkinTemplate.html

3000 downloads updated last June, seems to be more TSW style
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info452-Backpack.html

Took me 5 min to find those...and guess what? If you don't like what ZOS or the Add-on Developer community produce you still have the capability to create your own add-on so that it behaves exactly the way you like.

There are plenty of existing options to either improve the list system (I use one add-on for this) and grid style addons. There is no reason to classify this as a needed feature.
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Options are always good. Unless you are shifting through 3,678 channels on TV.
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    SFBryan18 wrote: »

Yes, I find it better than the default inventory, but still, I'd like to be able to move stuff around so I can put weapons over there, and potions over there, and so forth...

The addon doesn't allow you to do that, everything is just sorted alpabetically or by value like before. Not sure if that feature can be added or not.

But still, I don't think add-on dependency for something like this is a good answer. Addon authors come and go, and suddenly that addon will stop working and I'd lose a pretty central feature I'd be used to for a long time.

As such I think it's something that is perfectly valid to suggest to be implemented into the game, despite there being an addon out there that partially offers that.
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's grid layout specific one's

310k downloads updated last in November
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info65-InventoryGridView.html

1k downloads updated in November appears to have a grid display and added sort functionality
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info677-QualitySort.html

600 downloads updated last June
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info583-InventoryGridViewSkinTemplate.html

3000 downloads updated last June, seems to be more TSW style
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info452-Backpack.html

Took me 5 min to find those...and guess what? If you don't like what ZOS or the Add-on Developer community produce you still have the capability to create your own add-on so that it behaves exactly the way you like.

There are plenty of existing options to either improve the list system (I use one add-on for this) and grid style addons. There is no reason to classify this as a needed feature.

Of course there is! If even one of us thinks it's needed, the reason is there. After all, we are not Borg.
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SFBryan18 wrote: »

Yes, I find it better than the default inventory, but still, I'd like to be able to move stuff around so I can put weapons over there, and potions over there, and so forth...

The addon doesn't allow you to do that, everything is just sorted alpabetically or by value like before. Not sure if that feature can be added or not.

But still, I don't think add-on dependency for something like this is a good answer. Addon authors come and go, and suddenly that addon will stop working and I'd lose a pretty central feature I'd be used to for a long time.

As such I think it's something that is perfectly valid to suggest to be implemented into the game, despite there being an addon out there that partially offers that.

There are many add ons that get patched by other authors if the original fails to come back. While we all wish things could be perfect, this is something you can have now unlike some options that add ons can't even give us. Maybe not exactly the way you want, but it really help when organizing you guild store merchandise or marking items as junk.
    Edited by SFBryan18 on January 4, 2015 5:43PM