The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Would you like to see a grid based inventory in the game?

Vikestart
Vikestart
✭✭✭
All in all, I'm incredibly impressed by the user-interface in this game, but I'm shocked that ESO doesn't offer at least an optional inventory mode to show inventory items in grid based bag, possibly with the option to make your own bags and move them around?

Advantages of a grid view:
  • You can place items or clusters of items in specific locations so you know where to find them, always. Gear over here, potions over there, food over there, etc.
  • It's easy to see the rarity of an item, for example if items have border colours based on their rarity.
  • It takes up less space than a list.

Disadvantages:
  • Icons being the main method to identify items, it can be hard to differentiate items if you have a lot of items with the same icon, even though this shouldn't happen to the extent that it becomes a problem. If you have 2-3 items with the same icon, you can very quickly mouseover them for fast tooltips.

Just a quick photoshop mockup of what it could look like:
DewVSW2.png
Edited by Vikestart on January 4, 2015 6:12PM

Would you like to see a grid based inventory in the game? 107 votes

Yes, an optional grid based inventory would really make inventory management seamless
54%
DoxeRonethGidorickEatitappleKorzeLtCrunchTheLawdeepseamk20b14_ESOers101284b14_ESOglakkatkat42DirtySmeegs33kelly.medleyb14_ESOKevinmonHungerCitysheltonrwb14_ESOSorgrimAlphashadoZoLatKamWolfsspinne 58 votes
No, I don't think it's needed, the list-based inventory is sufficient.
45%
Sweetroll-Banditotis67Animal_MotherDrazekOrangeTheCatSeliqueAmsel_McKayLayenems0kr4t3sKhajitFurTraderDucceaalainjbrennanb16_ESORainfeatherUKLukeh ShadyvalefreespiritKitLightningMuizerVegarothZeds7732425ub17_ESO 49 votes
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer lists, in general. Could do with more sorting options though.
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • Spottswoode
    Spottswoode
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an add-on for that.
    Proud Player of The Elder Bank Screen Online.
    My khajiit loves his moon sugar.
    Steam Profile
    Libertas est periculosum. Liberum cogitandi est haeresis. Ergo, et ego terroristis.
    Current main PC build:
    i7 3770 (Not overclocking currently.)
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
    32gb RAM

Laptop:
    i7-7700HQ
    GTX 1060
    16gb RAM

Secondary build:
    i3 2330
    GTX 660
    8gb RAM
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, an optional grid based inventory would really make inventory management seamless
    There's an add-on for that.

Yeah, I saw that somewhere, but I read someting about it being outdated and not working well anymore.

Anyway, I really think it should be a natively supported feature in the game, something as central as efficient inventory management :smile:
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wish there were better sorting options.
    Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
    {EU/DC}
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I won't say no to more options, but I like the list view.
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm, I would like to know why some of you prefer the list view :)

I cannot possibly understand that right now. enlighten me! x)
    Edited by Vikestart on January 4, 2015 11:09AM
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vikestart wrote: »

I'm better at scanning text than icons.
    Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
    {EU/DC}
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An option for a grid based inventory, yes. It would be agreat improvement when I transfer something from my inventory and the rest of the items don't change their position.
    Edited by Razzak on January 4, 2015 11:37AM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rodario wrote: »

Same here. I'm primarily a verbal thinker, transforming text into pictures doesn't come naturally to me. If the inventory is filled with a lot of objects (and obviously it is), then it's much easier to find things on an alphabetical list.
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »

Same here. I'm primarily a verbal thinker, transforming text into pictures doesn't come naturally to me. If the inventory is filled with a lot of objects (and obviously it is), then it's much easier to find things on an alphabetical list.

Well, at least being able to give items a "sticky" status so they stay at the top of the list would be nice :)
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, at least being able to give items a "sticky" status so they stay at the top of the list would be nice :)
    Yes, that would be great. And sorting by rarity so my purple food stays on top. One of the advantages of grid view, no? Finding colored items more easily. This is one thing I miss.
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭

Yes, that would be great. And sorting by rarity so my purple food stays on top. One of the advantages of grid view, no? Finding colored items more easily. This is one thing I miss.

Exactly :P In a grid view, the icons can have border colours based on rarity
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭

That's pretty nice, but I still think it should be a natively supported feature.

You never know when addons stop getting updated and stop working, and this is really a core feature, so yeah... :)

Edit: As the poster below says, items aren't keeping their position with that addon. That's pretty bad.
    Edited by Vikestart on January 4, 2015 12:01PM
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. That's not it. It's not just about how the items are presented. It's more about how they "behave". When I move one item out of inventory or bank, the ones behind (under) it, move one space up. In a grid system, they stay where they are. You basically don't have list of item, like you have now. You can move them from one cell to another and it has no effect on others. With grid system we could arange our items as we want and wouldn't have to spend so much time managing them.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO simple interface was made mostly for new players. You can tweak it as you want. Every player want something different: one like list, other like grid.
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • Breg_Magol
    Breg_Magol
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like the option of a grid system or at least more sorting options ...

WHOA ~ original idea incoming ~

I just had a totally new idea that's never been discussed before ... what's up with the limited inventory + bank space?

I betcha no-one's ever thought to mention that! :p
    Edited by Breg_Magol on January 4, 2015 12:10PM
  • fiftypercentgrey
    fiftypercentgrey
    ✭✭✭
    Some Addons that might help

Inventory Grid View
    Inventory Grid View, updated and all. Works fine.

Advanced Filters
    for item sorting - can work in the guildstore with another addon, too

Crafting Materials Level Display
    displays the level of crafting materials which is damn useful!

Sous Chef
    helps to sort out those provisioning supplies
    ἀπόκρυφος
  • Lukeh Shadyvale
    Lukeh Shadyvale
    ✭✭✭
    The add-on works 110% and is perfect, customisable and literally everything you described and asked for...
    The add-on is your option.
    Lukeh Shadyvale | V14 Bosmer Templar | Ebonheart Pact | EU Nowhere
    Cyrodiil is only good for fishing.
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The add-on works 110% and is perfect, customisable and literally everything you described and asked for...

Which add-on is that?
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭

It doesn't. It does not allow for items to be freely moved around in a grid, with empty grid cells.... But yeah it's better than nothing.

Still, AGAIN, I think this should be a native part of the game. That addon might not be supported forever and it just is such a central feature that it just ought to be supported natively :stuck_out_tongue:
    Edited by Vikestart on January 4, 2015 12:43PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no need for any change to the way the inventory is displayed, it works fine for me (without add-ons).
  • Wolfsspinne
    Wolfsspinne
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to have a free organizable grid-based inventory just as in "The Secret World".

There you can have one big bag for all your things, or create multiple small bags. You can also give names to the smaller bags. For example you could put all your tanking gear into a bag called "tanking gear" and all your healer equip into a bag called "healer equip" and you'd never ever mix them up again.
  • Bloodystab
    Bloodystab
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate endless scrolling - and this list system is designed with Consoles in mind.

Thanks for addon <3

I can accept lists if they display all needed data like DMG, Armor, Stats etc. But not just name and gold value.

PS: Maybe its just me but i lived when Grid system was common, Baldurs Gate, Diablo, Ultima Online, Anarchy Online, WoW.
    Edited by Bloodystab on January 4, 2015 1:26PM
  • Uomodipunta
    Uomodipunta
    ✭✭
    Yeah, a lot of rpgs use the grid for inventory. I'd like to have it, for some people it's easier to look at images rather than words. There could be a sort of option that lets you switch between the 2 styles...
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the list works fine. Played plenty of grid games either way works.
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    Bloodystab wrote: »
    PS: Maybe its just me but i lived when Grid system was common, Baldurs Gate, Diablo, Ultima Online, Anarchy Online, WoW.

It is common. :stuck_out_tongue: ESO is the only MMORPG I know of that has a list based inventory.

Both TSW and GW2 which are newer MMOs than the ones you mentioned, have grid based inventory!
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use an add-on (forget the name off hand) to improve sorting. It breaks the native categories into nice sub catagories. For instance weapons are sub categorized into 1h, 2h, bow, rest staff, destro staff etc.... The materials are broken up by crafting skill, consumables are separated by type, plus there is a grid based add-on, but it seems completely unnecessary to use the grid style.
  • Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »
    I use an add-on (forget the name off hand) to improve sorting. It breaks the native categories into nice sub catagories. For instance weapons are sub categorized into 1h, 2h, bow, rest staff, destro staff etc.... The materials are broken up by crafting skill, consumables are separated by type, plus there is a grid based add-on, but it seems completely unnecessary to use the grid style.

But then you have to click 2 times to get to the items you want.

With a grid inventory, you'll be able to see and interact with all of the items in your inventory instantaneously, and you can place them wherever you want, so you know exactly in what corner of the inventory bag you ought to look for them.

Sounds faster and a lot more convenient if you ask me :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »

But then you have to click 2 times to get to the items you want.

With a grid inventory, you'll be able to see and interact with all of the items in your inventory instantaneously, and you can place them wherever you want, so you know exactly in what corner of the inventory bag you ought to look for them.

Sounds faster and a lot more convenient if you ask me :stuck_out_tongue:

I don't think those that are opposed to your idea really do understand what we are talking about. They probably see a grid as something that only presents and sorts things differently.