Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Gameplay and Champion System Questions for ESO Live

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Hey everyone!

During our next ESO Live show this Friday, December 19th, we’ll be spotlighting the upcoming gameplay changes and new Champion System, and will be explaining what you can expect once this system is available in Update 6. This special presentation will include the following:
  • Gameplay Changes
    • Removal of Overcharge
    • New buff and debuff categories
    • Changes to AoE caps
    • New ways to generate Ultimate
    • Armor and ability changes
    • How Synergies will work
  • Champion System
    • Overview of the new system
    • How the system works, and why we chose this path
    • Changes to the system since the announcement at the ESO Guild Summit
    • Transitioning from the Veteran System to the Champion System
We’ll be taking questions from the Twitch chat room live, but in case you can’t join us, feel free to post your questions in this thread and we’ll do our best to answer as many as we can!
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Milf_Hero
    Milf_Hero
    ✭✭✭
    ahhhhh, some INFORMATION! I like it. I like it a lot. Been eager to hear more about the new system and this big mix up I've been waiting for. The Milfster will be watching this one indeed. :smiley:

also... FIRST COMMENT! awesome! lol. :wink:
    Edited by Milf_Hero on December 17, 2014 8:27PM
    You name it, and ill kill it.
  • Rumba1
    Rumba1
    ✭✭✭
    What happens to the level rating of Armor now currently rated above level 50?
    Do all VR levels of armor get reduced to 50? Can all level 50 toons then use these old (yet unbound) sets of armor?

What happens to the number of recipes my characters know after the provisioning update? Do we get some sort of pro-rated recipe list?
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. When is champion system phase 4 coming?
    2. How are you going to handle gear progression?
    3. Are Veteran Ranks just getting replaced by Champion Ranks?
    4. Will they be based, on how many points you've put into the passive tree?
    Edited by Bloodfang on December 17, 2014 8:33PM
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patch 1.6 adds the champion system but the level cap is still V14 and armor stays the same.
    Patch 1.7, the level goes back to L50, what happens then with the current armor sets?
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we expect the Champion system points to be "generically good" for a character across the board like "+1% armor" or will there be class/build specific passives like "nightblade vanish lasts .5 seconds longer" or "increase armor penetration of daggers by 1%".

Is the "tentative" plan to release the final phase of the champion system before Wrothgar/Murkmire?
  • nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am worried about NB class skills. At the moment NBs actually benefit from having their magicka based class skills use weapon crit. With the new system will you change skills like Ambush to stamina or will it now use spell crit?

If it is the seconds then I fear it will hurt NBs a lot.

Edit: Since medium armor give stealth bonus, stamina bonus and weapon crit bonus, then it makes little sense that the stealth armor would not benefit NB sneak attack abilities.
    Edited by nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO on December 17, 2014 8:58PM
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any PVP or AVA specific options within the constellations? If so, what are some examples?

What are the Alliance Rank requirements for the new Alliance War skills included in the update?
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You had stated a while ago that a goal of 1.6 was to let you fulfill the role of your choice. I took this to mean that Templars would have better DPS options, Dragonknights would have better Healer options, etc. Was I interpreting that right? If so, how do you plan to accomplish this? Via class skill changes? Via the Champion System?

How will the removal of softcaps affect this? Right now, Tanking is one of the most balanced roles in the game. You can be an effective tank in just about any armor and just about any class. Some classes are better than others, but the difference between best Tank class and worst Tank class is nowhere near as stark as the difference between best and worst classes for DPS and Healing.

Light armor tanks can use spells to buff their armor, put up damage shields, etc. Medium armor tanks can more easily evade damage, can have great stamina regen to block and dodge roll all the time, etc. Heavy armor tanks have the hardiness to just stand there and take a beating. This is one of my favorite aspects of ESO. You have real choices and real variety in style to be a Tank. A Nord Dragonknight in heavy armor and an Imperial Templar in Light Armor can both tank effectively, but will have to take very different approaches to tanking. Will the removal of softcaps just turn Tanking into, "Put on heavy armor and hold block." Any class can put on heavy armor and hold block, so I suppose that is role balance of a sort, but cookie cutter and not much fun.

While I see and hear complaints along the lines of, "You don't need to wear heavy armor to tank in ESO! What awful design!" I actually disagree and consider this a strength of the game, not a weakness! I also find it very Elder Scrolls-ish. I would love to see DPS and Healing become more like Tanking, where it is not so much, "This race + this class + this armor + this weapon is great for DPS," but more of the different race/class/armor combinations can all be great at DPS and Healing, but just have to approach it in different ways.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it! :smiley:
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Tanis-Stormbinder
    Tanis-Stormbinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the changes to Critical Surge if any?
  • Draehl
    Draehl
    ✭✭✭
    Would it be possible to share the general theme/focus of each of the constellations? Obviously the specific bonuses are a work in progress but inquiring minds would love to know! (Especially The Tower!)
    Main: Breton Nightblade "Shadow Cleric" (Sustained Damage/offhealer) 5L/2H - Resto + S&B
    Alt: Argonian Dragonknight (Stam DoTs/Tank) 5H/2M - S&B + Bow
    Alt: Nord Templar Berserker (Rawr) 5M/2H - Dual Wield + Two Hander
    Alt: Altmer Sorceror (Pewpew) 7L - Destro + Resto
  • GorraShatan
    GorraShatan
    ✭✭✭✭
    How will these changes affect item levels and gear? Will we be crafting new gear after progressing several champion levels, or will we just be crafting one set of gear at level 50 and using it forever?
  • Sandmanninja
    Sandmanninja
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do not think "play any way you want" means "My DK will be the best healer!" or "My NB will be the best Tank!".
    I interpret it to mean, "If you want to heal, you can equip a staff and throw some heals out. You won't be the best Healer, but you can heal with you quest or run with a friend".

I feel each Class has something that it's the "Best" at:
    Dragon Knight - Tanking (good CC, native skills work well with armor bonuses for tanking)
    Templar - Healing (has native, staff-less heals)
    Sorcerer - Ranged DPS (has pets for self healing/tanking, single-target power spells and AoE spells)
    Night Blade - (haven't leveled one yet, but I'm sure they're good at something)

Any good game has to weigh/consider what the players want versus game balance.
    There has to be something that distinguishes one class from another (i.e. Sorcerers - only class that has pets, Templars - only class with native heals, etc).
    [Hard Mode Dungeoneers] is recruiting all players of all levels for this new Guild.
    THIS IS A NEW-BUT-GROWING GUILD. We are focused on doing vet pledges, vet dungeons, getting achieves, & doing hard mode bosses.
    Most active GMT+10 (Australia time zone) in the afternoon Mon-Fri and all day Sat/Sun.
    Pst/email for info/invites.
  • Blackmoon777
    Blackmoon777
    ✭✭✭
    question:

Any changes to blocking mechanic in 1.6?
    Edited by Blackmoon777 on December 18, 2014 6:11AM
  • Njola
    Njola
    ✭✭
    Any chance of a crafting restyle option. Eg I get an awesome drop in the Bosmer style but I prefer say Daedric
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not hopeful for this since my last question about the justice system (and others asked the same question) was completely ignored even though it was asked early on in the thread.

But, how about an answer of what will happen to gear that is over level 50 when all there is is level 50. I realize this is not for 1.6, as it's the final phase of the champ system, but honestly, every other question we can better answer for ourselves on the pts in a couple weeks.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Fizzonance
    Fizzonance
    ✭✭✭
    Under the label balancing, there have been rumors about making the Destruction Staff - solely - scale on Spell Damage. Will this happen in Update 6 and if so, will Surge (and it's morph) be changed into increasing Spell Damage instead of Weapon Damage?
    Edited by Fizzonance on December 18, 2014 7:22AM
    ▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ Fizzonance ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    Spellunker - Dunmeri Sorcerer - Ebonheart Pact - [EU]
    Aska Mahdavi - Khajiiti Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion - [EU]
    https://twitter.com/fizzonance
    http://mesmerizingtamriel.blogspot.com/
    http://fizzonance.tumblr.com/
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Quests are not endless and a new zone isn't added for a while. How will players get the XP that they need for the Champion System, assuming they already finished all the quest content in the game and are not interested in dungeon or mob grinding?

Thank you!
    Edited by Audigy on December 18, 2014 7:43AM
  • killedbyping
    killedbyping
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will all spell scaled with magicka finaly benefit from spell damage and spell crit ?
    Will destro and healing stuff finaly give spell damage instead of weapon damage ?
    Will NightBlades finaly get any damaging abilitys ?
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any chance you could address requests from players for a centered third person camera option?
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What kind of passives can we expect? Will we get to see what some of them are?
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will pets from the Daedric summoning skill line become more useful for endgame content?
    Edited by Maotti on December 18, 2014 9:55AM
    PC EU
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest question, will this update be fully tested and released without bugs that ruin gameplay? (that then take weeks to fix)

I'm worried that my game is going to become less fun.

My second question, has balance been a priority?

There's currently a way to counter almost everything in combat. This new system kind of throws everything up in the air balance wise.

My third question........

The game is beautiful right now with all the different ways you can play and gear.

I'm worried that some of these changes will ruin that.

I'll use an example of an armor buff. I have an ability that buffs armor and then I have another that buffs armor and spell resist, in the old system they would stack, which is beautiful even though they would push into overcharge. If I'm understanding the new system, they would just not work together, which I do not like, one ability would be wasted.

There's a lot of other examples of this... I'm afraid it will too much limit what you can do with your character.

Edited by Domander on December 18, 2014 10:50AM
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will there be a way to 'mass assign' the champion points across multiple alts or will we have to go through each alt and assign the points individually?
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enchanting seems a bit lacking compared to the other crating professions right now - especially weapon enchantments feel rather insignificant. Will there be skills in the champion system that improve enchanting or enchantments in one way or another?

and

Can you give us any update on what you plan to do with current veteran gear once the veteran ranks are removed?
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Lorkhan
    Lorkhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Gameplay Changes
      • Removal of Overcharge
      • New buff and debuff categories
      • Changes to AoE caps
      • New ways to generate Ultimate
      • Armor and ability changes
      • How Synergies will work

wow. gj
  • Lorkhan
    Lorkhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Dragonknights would have better Healer options, etc.
    obvious troll
  • Milf_Hero
    Milf_Hero
    ✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    You had stated a while ago that a goal of 1.6 was to let you fulfill the role of your choice. I took this to mean that Templars would have better DPS options, Dragonknights would have better Healer options, etc. Was I interpreting that right? If so, how do you plan to accomplish this? Via class skill changes? Via the Champion System?

How will the removal of softcaps affect this? Right now, Tanking is one of the most balanced roles in the game. You can be an effective tank in just about any armor and just about any class. Some classes are better than others, but the difference between best Tank class and worst Tank class is nowhere near as stark as the difference between best and worst classes for DPS and Healing.

Light armor tanks can use spells to buff their armor, put up damage shields, etc. Medium armor tanks can more easily evade damage, can have great stamina regen to block and dodge roll all the time, etc. Heavy armor tanks have the hardiness to just stand there and take a beating. This is one of my favorite aspects of ESO. You have real choices and real variety in style to be a Tank. A Nord Dragonknight in heavy armor and an Imperial Templar in Light Armor can both tank effectively, but will have to take very different approaches to tanking. Will the removal of softcaps just turn Tanking into, "Put on heavy armor and hold block." Any class can put on heavy armor and hold block, so I suppose that is role balance of a sort, but cookie cutter and not much fun.

While I see and hear complaints along the lines of, "You don't need to wear heavy armor to tank in ESO! What awful design!" I actually disagree and consider this a strength of the game, not a weakness! I also find it very Elder Scrolls-ish. I would love to see DPS and Healing become more like Tanking, where it is not so much, "This race + this class + this armor + this weapon is great for DPS," but more of the different race/class/armor combinations can all be great at DPS and Healing, but just have to approach it in different ways.

This ^ is exactly everything I want and expected when the first few bits of information the this game was being released. So excited about being what I wanted to be. I think heavy armor is cool. waaay cooler than medium and light. I like killing things but didn't want to wear light or medium. Not a smart idea though because it doesn't work because heavy armor is for tanks that don't kill things. If people wearing heavy armor were never meant to kill things then why have a passive called juggernaut that increases weapon damage? I wanted to back this guy up by reposting his post, because I think its SERIOUS and totally important. Give it to us straight in lay mans terms.

Question: Will the changes you are making or intending to make with armor, skills, and champion system achieve a system where there is more than 1 or 2 ways to be a GOOD DPS/TANK/HEALER? If so, what makes this possible? For example any new/evolved class, armor, skill Synergies that make this possible.
    You name it, and ill kill it.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand that at a later stage, veteran ranks are being removed completely.

My question is, what will happen to my alts that are veteran rank 1, 5, and 7 respectively? Will they all become just plain level 50, same as my veteran rank 14 main?

In other words, is there any point for me to level up the alts when they become max level anyway automaticaly when this change happens?
  • Welka
    Welka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do I know at what time is ESO live tomorrow? Is it only on Twitch?
    Edited by Welka on December 18, 2014 11:26AM