The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Keyboard quits typing

Greywolf46
Greywolf46
✭✭✭
Intermittently the keyboard does not function when attempting to type in the chat window. Likewise when this happens I cannot mail anything to other players.

The Keyboard functions during combat continue to work properly, but typing commands, chat, or anything else simply does not work at all. The only way I could get typing back was by quitting the game and relogging. That worked, but for only a relatively short time.

This has happened to me this evening twice.
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there @Greywolf46,

Do you happen to have any add ons running? If so, please give a shot to disabling all of them and let us know if the issue persists.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Greywolf46
    Greywolf46
    ✭✭✭
    I am not running any add-ons. I also have not downloaded any. So my version of the game is pristine. I will follow up on this thread if the condition repeats.

Thanks for the quick response
  • Greywolf46
    Greywolf46
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_GaryA mod:

In the last 48 hours I have been online for about 10 hours and during that time the condition of losing the ability to type in chat occurred twice. Interesting thing about it, is that I have to quit the game and log back on to fix the problem; “reloadui” does not work, nor does just re-logging. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason that I can pinpoint to causes or accompanies the failure.

Again
    Thanks for the help.
    Edited by Greywolf46 on November 29, 2014 4:28PM
  • wookiefriseur
    wookiefriseur
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're using a Mac: I have no idea how to help you. Maybe some command key problems.

If your OS is Windows:
    • Did you switch the language ingame (Alt+Shift) or are you using a keyboard language that is for some reason not supported in the game? (like Klingon)
    • Are you using programs in the background that might interfere with keyboard input?
    • Keylogger? Unlikely but who knows.
    • Other 3D-Applications with Keyboard input having the same issues?
  • Greywolf46
    Greywolf46
    ✭✭✭
    Lol. I recently loaded a Polytonic Greek Keyboard application that allows me to switch my keyboard mapping to Koine Greek. It is not supposed to be applicable unless I click and manually switch from “EN”, English to “EL”, Polytonic Greek.

Guess what the key command is to switch keyboards? Left Alt. + Shift. This has to be it.

I will remove that application. It is easily restored when I need it for my Koine Greek class and I will let you know if that stops the problem.

Again thanks
    Edited by Greywolf46 on November 29, 2014 6:13PM
  • wookiefriseur
    wookiefriseur
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the keyboard language is the reason, you might as well press LAlt+Shift every time you run across the problem (sometimes you have to hold Alt and press Shift multiple times to cycle through the languages, depending on how many are installed).

You could also change the default Key combination for the language switch within the tool and within windows (for instance LAlt+Shift+1 for EN, LAlt+Shift+2 for GR and so on).

No need to uninstall your tool, but at least that way you will know if that was the cause.