The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Death Stroke changes

CapuchinSeven
CapuchinSeven
✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone tried the changes to Death Stroke on the TS? Feels like another nerf to NB burst damage but I'll hold judgement until I try it.

Does the 20% damage stack with the bonus from Ambush?
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes,

using wrecking blow

did 1k about on base crits

1.3k with just ambush

1.5k with ambush and deathstroke
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
  • Thejollygreenone
    Thejollygreenone
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried the changes to Death Stroke on the TS? Feels like another nerf to NB burst damage but I'll hold judgement until I try it.

Does the 20% damage stack with the bonus from Ambush?

Honestly, I'm still not sure it'll be used in PvE. I haven't been able to make it work in any of my builds.

As to how it works in PvP, yes it's a nerf to NB's burst potential if you relied on overcharging the ability up in the 300s.

But if you're an impatient pvper like me and are throwing the ability out whenever it's available for the heal debuff, then this is a massive buff :)

Buff sustained, nerf burst a bit. That's the outcome of this change it seems.
  • mousekime111rwb17_ESO
    Alright so as an avid PVE'er I can safely say that I will justify taking veil of blades off my bar in favor of deathstroke with 'I'll have shades up 100% of the time don't worry about it, let the nova's deal with the rest'. I'll have flawless dawnbreaker up on my main dps (dw) bar, and deathstroke (soul harvest) up on my aoe/buff bar (bow) Honestly every time I refresh poison injection on a boss I'll pop deathstroke first, swap back refresh twin slashes and go back to mashing flurry.
  • Thejollygreenone
    Thejollygreenone
    ✭✭✭
    Alright so as an avid PVE'er I can safely say that I will justify taking veil of blades off my bar in favor of deathstroke with 'I'll have shades up 100% of the time don't worry about it, let the nova's deal with the rest'. I'll have flawless dawnbreaker up on my main dps (dw) bar, and deathstroke (soul harvest) up on my aoe/buff bar (bow) Honestly every time I refresh poison injection on a boss I'll pop deathstroke first, swap back refresh twin slashes and go back to mashing flurry.

Heh, maybe it would indeed work for someone who's melee primarily and will already be in range :)

I suppose I made my post under the assumption that my build is the opposite, primarily ranged (bow) with 2h as buff/sustainability or aoe bar. Maybe I could still make it work when the situations right, but damn am I not sure.
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes,

using wrecking blow

1.3k with just ambush

Thanks, good to know, it's clearly a nerf but with a sweetener. I'll still be able to burst but I'll need to spend magicka and time to do it (Soul Harvest, Ambush, Concealed Weapon).

Actually this is just lame now, with two classes able to shield and heal themselves back up to full in a blink without ever letting go of block, I do feel a little insulted by yet another change to Nightblades burst.

Maybe I'll just need to be more proactive with it, using it at 50 ultimate rather than building it up to 200 with the old version and that will ease any issues with it.
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes,

using wrecking blow

1.3k with just ambush

Thanks, good to know, it's clearly a nerf but with a sweetener. I'll still be able to burst but I'll need to spend magicka and time to do it (Soul Harvest, Ambush, Concealed Weapon).

Actually this is just lame now, with two classes able to shield and heal themselves back up to full in a blink without ever letting go of block, I do feel a little insulted by yet another change to Nightblades burst.

Maybe I'll just need to be more proactive with it, using it at 50 ultimate rather than building it up to 200 with the old version and that will ease any issues with it.

PTS the Death Stroke base damage is much higher overall.. on pts a base 50 ult is doing as much as a Live with 1000.

its a buff overall..

in spite of the tool tip, its never worked as advertised,... otherwise it would be able to hit for well over 2k instantly with 1k ult.. easily doing 1.5k+ without a crit. right now on live, 500 ult only sees to get 1.1k with a crit... so death strokes effect doesnt work as advertsied. i can only assume it only affects something like the weapon damage multiplier or such...
    Edited by Hypertionb14_ESO on October 28, 2014 5:55PM
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
  • thorspark
    thorspark
    ✭✭✭
    in spite of the tool tip, its never worked as advertised,... otherwise it would be able to hit for well over 2k instantly with 1k ult.. easily doing 1.5k+ without a crit. right now on live, 500 ult only sees to get 1.1k with a crit... so death strokes effect doesnt work as advertsied. i can only assume it only affects something like the weapon damage multiplier or such...

It has been working as advertised, but the tooltip is unclear.
    If DS base damage was 500, charging your ults to 1000 will result in a 1300+ damage, not 1800.
    Because base damage is 100%, and can be increased to 275%, meaning a 2.75 multiplier of base damage. Most people think it's a 275% increase, which it never was (read the tooltip with this information in mind).

So yeah, it's a buff in most scenarios. 50 or so ults per kill make it usable a lot.

DK Vet 12 / NB Vampire Vet 7 / Sorcerer Vet 5 / Templar WW - Guilde Les pochtrons
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I'm still not sure it'll be used in PvE. I haven't been able to make it work in any of my builds.

As to how it works in PvP, yes it's a nerf to NB's burst potential if you relied on overcharging the ability up in the 300s.

But if you're an impatient pvper like me and are throwing the ability out whenever it's available for the heal debuff, then this is a massive buff :)

I'm not sure it's even an overall nerf for burst, considering that you'll now be able to pop Death Stroke -> 20% buffed Ambush -> 55% buffed (insert ability) + 4 more seconds of 20% buffed damage.

That will very likely come out to be more overall damage than 300% charged Death Stroke + whatever other abilities.
    Edited by Varicite on October 29, 2014 4:51PM
  • Thejollygreenone
    Thejollygreenone
    ✭✭✭
    Varicite wrote: »

I'm not sure it's even an overall nerf for burst, considering that you'll now be able to pop Death Stroke -> 20% buffed Ambush -> 55% buffed (insert ability) + 4 more seconds of 20% buffed damage.

That will very likely come out to be more overall damage than 300% charged Death Stroke + whatever other abilities.

Yeah, I guess I meant that in the context of looking at death stroke alone.
    Otherwise I totally agree with you that it's overall a buff to burst if used correctly.

It may be over a slightly longer duration, but it'll still be short enough whereas it gains effectiveness when compared to the previous usage.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just still not sure if I'll use it because VoB / Soul Tether are just that dayum good, lol.

I'll have to play around w/ it a bit and see how I can fit it into my bars, but it's always been a bit clunky when I've tried in the past. Of course, right now, its only justifying factor (imo) is the heal debuff.
    Edited by Varicite on October 29, 2014 5:42PM
  • Thejollygreenone
    Thejollygreenone
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just still not sure if I'll use it because VoB / Soul Tether are just that dayum good, lol.

I'll have to play around w/ it a bit and see how I can fit it into my bars, but it's always been a bit clunky when I've tried in the past. Of course, right now, its only justifying factor (imo) is the heal debuff.

I was using it before 1.5 on my 2h bar ;)

So I'll certainly be using after. But that's because I build for a lot of healing debuffs, and am stamina oriented little spell crit, so death stroke will actually crit for me (on targets with little to no impen of course) as opposed to soul tether.

I use VoB on my other bar though so no need for competition there. ^.^
    Edited by Thejollygreenone on October 29, 2014 5:48PM
  • thorspark
    thorspark
    ✭✭✭

Well, the crit generation is big (50 or so per kill) even if you don't use it.
    In PvE, I put it on my AoE bar for ult generation and switch to the other bar for ult use (VoB or Soul Tether).
    VoB can be used as an opener of pack fight (3 or + mobs) EVERY fight with this.

DK Vet 12 / NB Vampire Vet 7 / Sorcerer Vet 5 / Templar WW - Guilde Les pochtrons
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys this is great, information. Good to know it still hits hard and the damage bonus will be great if you can Ambush, Soul Harvest, Ambush, Concealed Weapon/Impale.

If it still costs 50 Ultimate that will be a great Ultimate to have constantly up.