The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Sorta takes the fun out of it...

Phinix1
Phinix1
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Knowing that only farmers and exploiters and cross-faction server-hopping guild cronies get Emperor.

After watching my own guys rack up 200k AP within the first hours of the campaign while even the most active legit players are at 30k, watching them cap keeps with the walls all at 100%, watching a bunch of reds they brought over as alts sit there and let themselves be farmed, you realize, there really is nothing to shoot for.

The community is its own worst enemy. They have reduced the reward of skilled devoted play to whomever has the most guildies to farm.

Cheap.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play the game not the players eh ?
    /shrugs
    What can be exploited will be exploited.....only zos can fix that.
    Players will win at any cost....if you let them.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on September 30, 2014 1:05PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After watching my own guys...

You know there's a command for that in-game, right?

It's "/report"...

But I only partially agree. I may not get Emperor (probably never will) but I'm enjoying the game regardless. So does it really takes the fun out of it as your title imply?

Nah, man. Not really.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
    Options
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all know who the real emperors are.

Whenever I see the "Former Emperor" title, I target that person immediately. Why? Because there is a 98% chance that it is not legitimate, and I enjoy killing noobs who like to flaunt the title.
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all know who the real emperors are.

Whenever I see the "Former Emperor" title, I target that person immediately. Why? Because there is a 98% chance that it is not legitimate, and I enjoy killing noobs who like to flaunt the title.

I don't.

Where do people catch up on these "shaming gossips"? Reddit?
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
    Options
  • madfeldoreb17_ESO
    Well, some want it all and especially, now! In a way or another..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE

I have to say I'm a very newbie on this ESO still, one reason being I'm a slow leveler (and not that much playtime) and only visited Cyrodiil a couple of times sor far. That is also why I'm not exactly sure what the emperor farming is and stuff like that, though what it has sounded to me so far, is pretty silly way to play and I don't like it at all. Isn't the whole purpose to actually fight for the victory and price it can give? Isn't the best part when you have challenges, even fighting against all odds or something? And finally (one day, maybe...) reach your goal - or if not, have fun while trying. Not getting things the easy way with explanations like "hey everybody does it and we need it... in a way or another. We can do it if it is possible". etc. shrug.

Ah but then again, as said, I don't know that much yet. I need to play a lot more to see what it actually is and what does it mean.

Cheers...
    Edited by madfeldoreb17_ESO on September 30, 2014 6:11PM
    Options
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Knowing that only farmers and exploiters and cross-faction server-hopping guild cronies get Emperor.

After watching my own guys rack up 200k AP within the first hours of the campaign while even the most active legit players are at 30k, watching them cap keeps with the walls all at 100%, watching a bunch of reds they brought over as alts sit there and let themselves be farmed, you realize, there really is nothing to shoot for.

The community is its own worst enemy. They have reduced the reward of skilled devoted play to whomever has the most guildies to farm.

Cheap.

Being #1 in AP is easy. Just play solo, and do everything you can to maximize your AP. And spend a good 12-16 hours a day in the campaign for the length of the campaign.

You don't need to exploit and 200K AP in the few few hours of a campaign is nothing. I haven't seen someone get emp who didn't legitimately earn their AP since the First campaign (Where a guy actually *repaired* his way to emp by spending over a million gold on repair kits).

Edited by Ezareth on September 30, 2014 6:57PM
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
    Options
  • Famemonster
    Famemonster
    ✭✭
    I just try to kill people. I don't care about AP. It took me months to figure out why people wanted AP. I guess for the emperor title is what I figure.

The game is more fun when you play just for fun.

If I cared about AP, titles or whatever, I guess I would join one of those guilds then. Why can't you just do that?
    Edited by Famemonster on September 30, 2014 7:11PM
    Famemonster NB - Famemonsterx DK - Famemonster X DK - Mindblasterx Templar - Emi Takai Sorcerer
    Options
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The community is its own worst enemy.
    This is true. A lot of our requests to ZOS could be accomplished voluntarily from the community. For example, exploiting past a gate to steal a scroll is not an involuntary action. This occurrence could end right now by volition from the whole of the community without a single action from ZOS.

A bad thought may be involuntary, but acting on that thought is voluntary. ZOS has a responsibility to maintain a good game, but the community has a responsibility not to trash it for everyone. Both ZOS and the community have a part in making and maintaining a valuable game.
    Edited by Armitas on September 30, 2014 7:28PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
    Options
  • SeltzerDuke
    SeltzerDuke
    ✭✭✭
    Eh, nevermind.
    Edited by SeltzerDuke on September 30, 2014 9:01PM
    Options
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should just remove the Former Emperor buffs completely. As with many other things in ESO, it was a nice idea right up to the point that actual people came into play.
    Edited by Lava_Croft on September 30, 2014 8:41PM
    Options
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like many of their methods but there will always be those 20-30 guys playing way more than any normal person could and finding creative ways to get ahead on their AP counter.
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    They should just remove the Former Emperor buffs completely. As with many other things in ESO, it was a nice idea right up to the point that actual people came into play.
    Former emperor buffs really don't make a difference tbh.
    Edited by Dudis on September 30, 2014 8:48PM
    Options
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dudis wrote: »
    That's another good reason to remove them.
    Options
  • Lfehova
    Lfehova
    ✭✭✭✭

Or, since it gives no significant advantage, leave it in.

Why leave it? Cause it gives pvpers a carrot to chase, and a reason to keep playing this game.
    Characters: Hovaling/Lfehova/Hova-kun/Hovalicious
    Class: DK/DK/Sorc/Templar
    Guild: No Mercy
    Alliance: Daggerfall

Characters after rename: BROVALING/Baka-kun/Brovalicious (Lfehova is now a retired DK and spends his days crafting)
    Options
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lfehova wrote: »

Why leave it? Cause it gives pvpers a carrot to chase, and a reason to keep playing this game.

but like you said... its not that big... so how does it give them a carrot to chase?
    Options
  • darkdruidssb14_ESO
    darkdruidssb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Cheap.

Actually this is almost every online game ever that has a scoreboard. Hell this is how a lot of "top tier" PvE guilds beat content before anyone else. If there is a way to cheat the system or bypass something... do something easier with good rewards.. then it is in human nature to exploit the crap out of it for personal gain.
    Options
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheap.

Being #1 in AP is easy. Just play solo, and do everything you can to maximize your AP. And spend a good 12-16 hours a day in the campaign for the length of the campaign.

You don't need to exploit and 200K AP in the few few hours of a campaign is nothing. I haven't seen someone get emp who didn't legitimately earn their AP since the First campaign (Where a guy actually *repaired* his way to emp by spending over a million gold on repair kits).
    12-16 hours a day? LOL, really? Even I had that much time to play, I wouldn't squander it on this game. It's just not healthy.

Options
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    Columba wrote: »

Cheap.

12-16 hours a day? LOL, really? Even I had that much time to play, I wouldn't squander it on this game. It's just not healthy.

And that's why you're not Emperor.

I managed to stay in the top 20 on EU Thornblade for the first 3 days or so by playing 4-5 hours a night with some good action. After just a week there were 3-4 guys that were already millions ahead.

Since then I play probably an hour per night on average and I'm at least still in the top 100 on my faction.
    Edited by Dudis on September 30, 2014 11:36PM
    Options
  • jkirchner71ub17_ESO2
    I suspect I know EXACTLY where this happened as I was in this campaign grabbing a Dolmen I was missing. Couldn't help but notice someone mention earning massive AP at Kings. Now knowing the nature of it and if it is true :(.
    MAIN
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Torroch, VR14 Orc DK Rank 22, Officer in Maelstrom
    Once again looking for an organized PvP guild to join - viva la Venatus

NON-PvP Alts
    Ebonheart Pact
    Torach, VR12 Orc Sorcerer, GM House of the Tamriel Ten
    Torrach, VR8 Orc Templar, House of the Tamriel Ten (older brother of Torach)
    Options
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not called farm war for nothing.
    Edited by RedTalon on September 30, 2014 11:59PM
    Options
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And spend a good 12-16 hours a day in the campaign for the length of the campaign.

Which confirms to me it has nothing to do with skill. You must be an unemployed layabout that will probably die of a pulmonary embolism from all the sitting to get Emperor.

12-16 hours A DAY? That isn't skill or dedication, it is INSANITY.

Funny most people with the "Former Emperor" title seem to be among the easiest to kill. It is just a grind fest. I wouldn't be surprised of people are having their guildies play their accounts while they sleep.

And yes, there IS massive AP farming and noob exploiting going on.

Yesterday in NA Haderus, there was a guy with an auto invite macro spamming chat all day to get people to join a farm at Kings. He basically sat there stealthed by the breech at the outer wall doing nothing for at least 6 hours (I went back and checked several times), getting free AP while countless noobs scurried about directionless.

He never spoke to them, never attempted to organize an actual takedown of the keep.

Meanwhile his buddy on the red team who currently tops the boards in points sat their all day picking off these lemmings for massive defense ticks.

Pathetic. Sound like the kind of people that you would want to play with, or that we should encourage by making Emperor about nothing but total hours invested?
    Edited by Phinix1 on October 1, 2014 1:30AM
    Options
  • smee_z
    smee_z
    ✭✭✭
    Am guessing these 2 mentioned are guild mates. Also guessing on this guild, they cannot fight each other 1v1 because of their policy. HOWEVER, they can feed themselves with their own faction allies. This is on a massive scale though. What I have come across was feed their guildie with a faction ally to be ganked and enjoy watching from afar.
    PC NA

Games are meant to be played.

Back in Auriel's Bow 1.0, I have thought that the best way to handicap a faction with the HUGE pop advantage is to temporarily disable their grouping functionality and their ability to fight in 3rd person point of view! Let's see if these do not even up the odds.
    Options
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    So assuming they keep the whole Emperor thing in the game, how would you do it to make "skill" part of the crowning?
    Options
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So assuming they keep the whole Emperor thing in the game, how would you do it to make "skill" part of the crowning?

Something similar to what they did with the "finesse" system in Trials that punished people who were skipping content by giving them worse drops.

Also:
    • Cap the amount of AP you can gain in a day to something that can be done in under 8 hours, to make Emperor mean something other than who can spend the most money to pay Chinese gold farmers to play their account 24/7.
    • Add a separate resource to AP that is only increased through things like mission board turn-ins and actual player kills, so standing there at a keep farm doing nothing can't net you massive defense ticks. Have this be a modifier in the calculation of a final point assessment.
    • Make the purchasing of siege (that costs AP) improve you rank, but cap how much it is able to improve your rank by to the total AP you have gained in the current campaign.

There are probably more ways to improve this Emperor-farming grind-fest but I'm honestly not in the mood to think about it right now.

Maybe later once I've had coffee.
    Options
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This carrot is only obtainable by people who either game the system or have the backing of a guild. As we have all seen, the title has no real value nor does it really add anything to the game besides a rotten carrot.

Make it work the same as the regular PvP buffs. If you are Emperor in a campaign, you deserve buffs. If you are dethroned, you should lose buffs. You are already rewarded with a piece of special clothing and an achievement. Why be rewarded with a permanent buff to your character?

Edited by Lava_Croft on October 1, 2014 1:48AM
    Options
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This carrot is only obtainable by people who either game the system or have the backing of a guild. As we have all seen, the title has no real value nor does it really add anything to the game besides a rotten carrot.

Make it work the same as the regular PvP buffs. If you are Emperor in a campaign, you deserve buffs. If you are dethroned, you should lose buffs. You are already rewarded with a piece of special clothing and an achievement. Why be rewarded with a permanent buff to your character?

Because it makes the have-nots cry delicious tears that sustain me.

Also, there are five things said in this thread thus far that are completely false.

1. Emperor does not take 12-16 hours a day every day to achieve (it can be done in one, at the start of the campaign cycle, you just gotta beat everyone else and be ahead the next time the ring caps)
    2. Emperor farming has not existed since Celarus, and all of us that became emp since those days earned it fair and square, you dont like it, bite me.
    3. Not everyone in the game is entitled to be emperor
    4. The buffs are significant, and deservedly earned via dedicated playing and determination.
    5. Former emperors are not as "easy" to kill as you love to cuddle yourself with saying. Those that make such claims are usually in zergballs of 50 people all ragetargeting one guy they heard of and patting themselves on the back for ERMAGERD I BEAT THE FORMER EMPZORZ... Yeah you and 50 other guys...

Have a spiffy fricken day.
    Edited by Rylana on October 1, 2014 1:58AM
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
    Options
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »
    All credibility lost.

1. Emperor does not take 12-16 hours a day every day to achieve (it can be done in one, at the start of the campaign cycle, you just gotta beat everyone else and be ahead the next time the ring caps)
    Which requires the previous Emperor being de-throned first, so, no.

2. Emperor farming has not existed since Celarus, and all of us that became emp since those days earned it fair and square, you dont like it, bite me.
    Didn't even want to comment. But if you don't call having your guild cronies join as the opposite faction to suicide to feed you AP exploit farming, I don't know what is. That IS happening on a MASSIVE scale, vampirism notwithstanding.

Perhaps, but everyone is certainly entitled to a fair chance. Right now only exploiters, guild cronies, and people that do nothing with their life but farm AP 16 hours a day have a chance.

4. The buffs are significant, and deservedly earned via dedicated playing and determination.
    "Deservedly" is debatable.

5. Former emperors are not as "easy" to kill as you love to [blah blah, edit for double digit age requirement]...
    PM me (due to naming and shaming policy) and I will list you the Emps and former Emps I have killed 1 on 1. Sniping noobs corralled into an AP farm for 16 hours takes zero skill.

I'm sure you'll just come back with "yeah, well, those were just bad ones."

Edited by Phinix1 on October 1, 2014 2:34PM
    Options
  • Braidas
    Braidas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, there are five things said in this thread thus far that are completely false.

5. Former emperors are not as "easy" to kill as you love to cuddle yourself with saying. Those that make such claims are usually in zergballs of 50 people all ragetargeting one guy they heard of and patting themselves on the back for ERMAGERD I BEAT THE FORMER EMPZORZ... Yeah you and 50 other guys...

Have a spiffy fricken day.
    much truth here....took me 2 hours on the first Chillrend...tho i've been blessed not being bombarded with tells like that, even if they think it. usually i get very respectful, praiseful tells. that or accusations of some sort of hax0rz ...not that either necessarily hav to do with the title.....
    Options
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fact - I became emp on one toon without being grouped, without using alts (uhh you actually cant even do this btw), without help from friends, and without any of the accusations thrown in this thread.

How did I do it? I outplayed and out APed every player in my faction for three days, off and on playtimes, making sure I was comfortably ahead. PROTIP-grouping actually reduces your AP gain. PROTIP 2-Solo defending a keep/resource/outpost and not calling for help in zone actually yields tremendous returns if youre good enough to hold it. All it took at that point was a ring run (thanks to a guild that was doing a guild event by sheer coincidence, yay)

The other day, I almost got it a second time on another toon (came in 4th place at the time emp was crowned, beaten fair and square with less than 20k AP separating us), again running solo, no guild support, etc.

Ive put in WORK into my attempts, successful and unsuccessful to obtain the achievement. Anyone who has ever worked less hard than me should never be emperor, not even once.

I despise those that farmed celarus, but the fiction that people are farming emp today is completely invalid. Name a single campaign it is happening on, you cant. One campaign has had the same emp for almost 60 days (Haderus), another for 30 (Chillrend). That leaves Thornblade (never has an emp for more than a few hours, and rarely is one ever even crowned), blackwater blade (non vet and extremely hard to cap on because of NPCs being overpowered for level), and Azura which has thus far not shown any promise of being more than a second yellow buff server.

So where is this magic emp farming happening?
    Edited by Rylana on October 1, 2014 2:15AM
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
    Options
  • Braidas
    Braidas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fact - I became emp on one toon without being grouped, without using alts (uhh you actually cant even do this btw), without help from friends, and without any of the accusations thrown in this thread.

How did I do it? I outplayed and out APed every player in my faction for three days, off and on playtimes, making sure I was comfortably ahead. PROTIP-grouping actually reduces your AP gain. PROTIP 2-Solo defending a keep/resource/outpost and not calling for help in zone actually yields tremendous returns if youre good enough to hold it. All it took at that point was a ring run (thanks to a guild that was doing a guild event by sheer coincidence, yay)

The other day, I almost got it a second time on another toon (came in 4th place at the time emp was crowned, beaten fair and square with less than 20k AP separating us), again running solo, no guild support, etc.
    easier now with so few people left in ava and only one major camp, but a small group seriously farming an outpost/resource will outpace any solo player.
    Options
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you an archer by chance? Just curious.

OK, so since this myth is apparently still prevalent that it isn't possible to have alts feed their guild mates AP, let me explain again how this works.
    • Player A (the Emperor farmer) sets his home campaign to Haderus. He is AD faction.
    • Players B through X (player A's guild mates) are also AD, and set their home campaign to Azurah's Star or Lagblade.
    • Players B through X set their EP alts to home on Haderus.
    • Players B through X set up a fake keep offensive and suicide to player A "defending" over and over and over and over and...
    • Profit.
    Bonus points if you let Player A seal you in by repairing the walls. Then just make sure to leave one of your EP buddies alive to rez the others to avoid needing a camp.

If some legit players come along and try to re-open the breech, gank them and repair it fast, while keeping all your turncoat EP suicide buddies inside.
    Edited by Phinix1 on October 1, 2014 2:23AM
    Options