The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

[Request] Bow Power Indicator / Remove Camera Offset

Haltus_Kain
Haltus_Kain
✭✭✭
Just some food for thought for all the awesome modders out there. I have no idea if either of these would be possible, but...

Bow Power Indicator:
Basically a little slider that shows how much force you'll be shooting an arrow with, for the bow's L-Click attack.

It may just be that I'm not good at it, but I feel like the existing methods of gauging this are not consistent - those methods being 1) watching the bowstring get pulled back, 2) listening for the sound of the string stretching 3) simply holding the key down for a certain amount of time.

The largest culprit appears to be other actions delaying the string pull - if I use an ability and then hold L-Click to draw an arrow, the draw doesn't start until the animation for the previous ability is completely done. On the other hand, I've had several times where the animation for the pull starts up; but then when that indicates that the arrow is ready to be fired at full force, I release it and it hits with minimal impact, as though L-click was only tapped, and not held.

So, a little bar that says YOUR BOW PULL IS HERE - something like this:

WWWWW80 / 100
0% l- - - - - - - - O - -l 100%

...without regard to where the animation is at or anything - but where the game actually thinks the bow is pulled to - would be fantastic!

This would probably be useful for the L-Click attack on other weapons as well, but so far Bow is the only one I've used that actually won't attack until you release the click; swords and staves and such will charge to 100% and immediately fire, then immediately charge AGAIN to 100% and fire, and they'll continue doing that until you release the button. Bows just charge to 100%... and stay at 100%... until you release; then they fire.

Remove Camera Offset

Currently when we zoom out, the camera drifts out to the right, placing our character on the left side of the screen. Call me old-school, but I'd really like if it just stayed centered... I find the offset disorienting.

I've had a few times already where I park my toon next to a doorway or something in a decently populated area; then get distracted by something IRL and turn my head for a sec, in which time someone else parked their character exactly in the bottom center of my screen; then I return my attention to the game and don't realize that the toon in the center of the screen isn't mine, and I press W to run forward, then wonder why *my* character isn't moving, and why *that other guy* just ran into the wall next to the doorframe like an idiot... and then "Oh." /facepalm

So, anyway a mod to fix that would be really awesome!!

I hope these are doable! I know the restrictions on what can and cannot be modified are far more tight in ESO than in previous ES games, but you modders ROCK, so thank you for your hard work either way! ^_^

/salute!

- Hal
Hey, YOU,
Petition to include chat bubbles to ESO - http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/61316/floating-text-chat-bubble-addon/p1

/sign it^^
  • Seerah
    Seerah
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe access to the camera is available, so that option is 99.99% likely a no-go.

I haven't looked into anything about the first reqeust, though.
    Author & Moderator at ESOUI
    My Addons
  • SienneYviete
    SienneYviete
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bow power option would be great imo, being from Australia we get a pretty nasty ping at times and during pvp especially it can be a little difficult to judge your power.
    Delta
    Valheru's
  • Feroc
    Feroc
    ✭✭✭
    They've changed the addon API one or two weeks ago. Before that it was possible to get a cast bar like in other MMOs, that one also showed you the force of your shot. Not possible anymore. :(
  • Rach71
    Rach71
    I'm with you on the Camera thing; when in third person I find myself off target all the time wanting to positioning the bad guy in front of me.

I hope the DEVs see this post and ad an option to center 3rd person.
  • lfacjrub17_ESO
    lfacjrub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    yeah its a REALLY NEED app , until change i had it and its REALLY REALLY USEFULL
  • Ashenar
    Ashenar
    I want to add my voice to the first request. I think having a power indicator for bows would be great.
  • frozin
    frozin
    I completely agree, a bow power bar would be amazing!
  • SeraphSix
    SeraphSix
    I'm fairly certain the bow functions like every other weapon. You either do a normal or a charged hit. There's no power percentage.
  • Haltus_Kain
    Haltus_Kain
    ✭✭✭
    SeraphSix wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain the bow functions like every other weapon. You either do a normal or a charged hit. There's no power percentage.

Then perhaps instead of a slider, maybe a little icon that indicates the exact moment when it transitions from low power to high power?

The core of the problem is that bows fire on L-Click-Release and everything else just auto fires as long as L-Click is held. So, something to bring a bit of balance to the force would be muy bueno! ^_^
    Hey, YOU,
    Petition to include chat bubbles to ESO - http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/61316/floating-text-chat-bubble-addon/p1

/sign it^^
  • hrdndv_ESO
    hrdndv_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The sighting problem also arises when aiming siege weapons. You often find yourself in a tree when you try to aim. Need to be able to get out of the tree.

Aiming the bow is odd since you often hit the target even when you aim at your own foot.
  • SkullboneJunior
    I'm throwing my vote behind the OP. Your revision sounds excellent as well. I noticed on the FTC floating combat text that my L-click bow attacks typically hit for the same high dmg (for example 42hp labeled heavy attack) or one of 2 lower damages (for example 21hp or or 31hp both labeled light attack) during battle. I'd love to know precisely when those damages become available before i release my left mouse button.

I envision it as something as simple as a light, or other icon, that appears on screen each time you press the L-click attack. If it simply changed color or visual in some way once the bow shot was charged to heavy attack status, that would be a tremendous tool for us archers out there.
  • a_thielen_ESO
    please to both of these.
  • keithbzjrub17_ESO
    Center camera would be great.
    My favorite initial attack with my NB is to shadow disguise run up then surprise attack. But, I like to run my character head on to my target, which places my reticule to the right. So after keying my surprise attack just to notice it is not targeted and I have to readjust to target. Or worse is when I intend to hit the target in front of me but since the reticule is off to the right, it targets whoever is off to the right, be it the wrong enemy, a rat, a mammoth, whatever. This basically throws off my planned attack sequence bringing in mobs who where non aggressive and I had no intention to aggro or attacking the enemy with the wrong health or the enemy who I intended to deal with after.
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Bow Power Bar:
    Impossible with the current API. There is currently no event at the start of charging a heavy attack. I guess it was removed because it would have made botting a whole lot easier after the Beta.
    There is a "Damage done" event. That is about all we can tell you. FTC seems to be able tio differentiate between "Light Attack", "Partial Charge" and "Full Charge" with a Bow and you could train your own skill using that information. More is just not allowed within the API.
    Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
    Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
    Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
    Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
    Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
    Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
    Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • Drazhar14
    Drazhar14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes to both of those, OP!