The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Don't quite get why armor glyphs fall short when applied

Caroloces
Caroloces
✭✭✭✭✭
I've noticed this for quite awhile now, but I've never pursued an inquiry into it. But today I got fed up and asked (and am asking) why, why, WHY applying glyphs to (in this case) armor the quantity of enchantment falls short of what the glyph is capable of.
Here's the actual example: I have a Moderate Glyph of Health that adds 70 health. When I apply it to a piece of my equipped armor, the resulting enchantment is that it adds 28 Max Health !
What in blazes is going on here???
  • Resueht
    Resueht
    ✭✭✭
    The enchantment strength is based on the level and quality of the armor. I'm not sure what the base enchantment on the glyph is referring to, but thats why it differs when you apply it.
    If she doesn't know the pain of cliffracers, she's too young for you.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, only the main parts of the armor get the full effect - the smaller ones get a lesser effect.
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only head chest and legs get full enchantment because they're considered large armor pieces. The other four pieces get gimped.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Head, Chest, Legs, Shield = 100% of glyph value
    Waist, Feet, Hands, Shoulder = 40% of glyph value
    Edited by Dagoth_Rac on September 19, 2014 10:23PM
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok. I get it now.
    Thanks! :p
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it should not be this way. if it says it will add 200 health then it should add 200 health.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    it should not be this way. if it says it will add 200 health then it should add 200 health.

There are two views on this (further subdivided on minutia), firstly that we should get what the glyphs says, secondly it's ok because it's a smaller piece of gear.

I personally fall into the second category, but I will say that when we hit the enchant option, the details should be telling us what we are actually going to get, not what it would be on a different piece of gear.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally fall into the second category, but I will say that when we hit the enchant option, the details should be telling us what we are actually going to get, not what it would be on a different piece of gear.

I agree with this. One shouldn't be mystified by a certain mechanic in the game that's not self-evident. I've been playing since Beta and I've never seen any reference anywhere to this particular mechanic. But it does make sense that the smaller pieces of armor should carry diminishing enchantment power. I wish I had known that, however, before I started applying hi-level enchantments to boots and pauldrons, rather than preserving them for chest, legs and head.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that it does. When the enchant box comes up on the left it shows the current item, and on the right what the item will become. The tooltip for the new item shows the actual enchantment type and level that will be obtained.
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caroloces wrote: »

I agree with this. One shouldn't be mystified by a certain mechanic in the game that's not self-evident. I've been playing since Beta and I've never seen any reference anywhere to this particular mechanic. But it does make sense that the smaller pieces of armor should carry diminishing enchantment power. I wish I had known that, however, before I started applying hi-level enchantments to boots and pauldrons, rather than preserving them for chest, legs and head.
    This mechanic has been know since before the game came out. Every guide I read mentioned it.

There are a lot of tool tips in this game that need rewording. Add this to the list I suppose.
    Edited by Gillysan on September 21, 2014 3:01PM
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Head, Chest, Legs, Shield = 100% of glyph value
    Waist, Feet, Hands, Shoulder = 40% of glyph value

Yet everything except gloves/belt take 100% armour ?
    Thanks for bringing this up OP...troubled me too lol.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on September 21, 2014 3:18PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This mechanic has been know since before the game came out. Every guide I read mentioned it.

/facepalm
    Odd that I never picked up on it. But Smacx is correct, hovering over before and after in the actual enchant window does specify that exact enchant values that are given.
    Thanks for all the help on this, though I should have picked it up myself. lol.
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I give you major points for admitting you made a mistake. I was actually expecting an angry reply instead. :D
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    smacx250 wrote: »

I think that it does. When the enchant box comes up on the left it shows the current item, and on the right what the item will become. The tooltip for the new item shows the actual enchantment type and level that will be obtained.

I tried it yesterday, yeah it does do that, whoops.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule