Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Update on Cyrodiil Crash After Switching Campaigns

Publius_Scipio
Publius_Scipio
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So for a couple of weeks I was playing in the non VR alliance campaign and everything was running smooth and no crashes. Today I switched to Chillrend campaign (more dense population) and I just had a crash after 30 mins of game time.

Seems there are still some memory leaks to patch.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wow I just went back in there to play and I crashed within 5-10 mins of game time.

Sucks I can't go back to the non VR campaign since my character is now VR.

@Moonraker‌ or @KhajitFurTrader‌ have any comment? Can campaign population cause such a drastic difference with nothing else changing?

Quite unfortunate since I was really enjoying PvP.
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on August 30, 2014 4:00AM
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, I'd say that getting only 5 to 10 minutes out of PvP nowadays has become the exception and is no longer the norm. How long has your client been running beforehand? Does the same behavior occur consistently with a freshly started client?

YMMV with graphics quality settings, and of course player density is still a factor. As I wrote in my feedback on the 1.4 PTS Dev event, crashes still occur, but I was able to get 40 minutes of really intense fun out of a packed PvP event, where everyone was stomping around the same keep.

PvE stability seems to have become more of a non-issue lately, while PvP stability is still a field of continuing improvement. ;)
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I open the client fresh and login. Go directly to Cyrodiil. I just crashed now from about maybe 20 minutes of game time. Seems to be a consistent occurrence after having switched into the Chillrend campaign. Interestingly enough when I was part of the non VR campaign I was playing 4 hours no problem. Also it seems that when I crash the ZOS Crash Reporter hangs up and I have to "force to quit" it. This really sucks because I was really enjoying Cyrodiil in the non VR campaign.

I really hope all of you PTS players are sending in reports to ZOS regarding Cyrodiil crashes so they can continue working on it.

As far as PvE goes, I can play for as long as I want without any issue
  • Aranweh
    Aranweh
    Yep

Mac client is broken a gain. We had about 4 weeks of correct game.
    Specialy in campaigns with many people it's unplayable. Crashs every 10 minutes. I'm so tired to write to the support and report it again and again to have the same answers. The Mac client is still in Beta, definitely. It would be easier to say : guys, forget the mac client and go bootcamp a windows 7, it will never work. One week without maintenance too… is it the problem?
    Hope 1.4 will fix it but for how many time?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I open the client fresh and login. Go directly to Cyrodiil. I just crashed now from about maybe 20 minutes of game time. Seems to be a consistent occurrence after having switched into the Chillrend campaign. Interestingly enough when I was part of the non VR campaign I was playing 4 hours no problem. Also it seems that when I crash the ZOS Crash Reporter hangs up and I have to "force to quit" it. This really sucks because I was really enjoying Cyrodiil in the non VR campaign.

I really hope all of you PTS players are sending in reports to ZOS regarding Cyrodiil crashes so they can continue working on it.

As far as PvE goes, I can play for as long as I want without any issue
    Is it still occurring?

May be worth checking and posting the crash summary if the crash reporter does work correctly to see if it is actually memory related of some other issues introduced in PvP again.

Previously the core memory issue was resolved but other changes to the game engine created other leaks so it required those to be fixed for players to see the improvements in the Mac client properly.

Perhaps they have changed something again to cause memory issues. I can't see how the resolution of the Mac client specific memory issue could be reverted. Much more likely it is some game engine issue effecting all players including PC (they tend to get away with memory leaks more as they have a bigger memory buffer in the PC client)

Going by how quiet it is in this Mac section now it doesn't seem to widely reported so far.

But do report it and bug it also so they are aware. All crash reports that are generated get through now.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Moonraker‌ good to see you! Thought you were gone for good.

Anyways to give an update to this post and answer some of your questions.

- I performed a REPAIR function in the client a week or two ago and strangely it seemed to have improved things. I can play longer, still crash though every so often. But I think I definitely break the 1 hour barrier and no crash.

- Something very peculiar that happens is that when I do crash the ZOS Crash Reporter itself hangs up and I need to "force to quit". The few times the reporter itself did work it was empty! All it said was once sentence, "no crash data available" (or something very similar in nature said).

The "repair" really saved me from serious frustration HOWEVER, there is still definitely work for ZOS to do in tying loose ends up with crashes.