Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What does Tempering do other then change the name; for example from EPIC to LEGENDARY?

RSram
RSram
✭✭✭✭✭
I upgraded my gear from FINE to SUPERIOR and nothing changed but the color of the temper? I thought that the armor was supposed to increase but it didn't?

So what does upgrading the temper do?
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It increases the item's value and attributes; it does not increase the item's level.

For example, if you have a trait on an item, it increase that trait's base value.
  • BCBasher
    BCBasher
    ✭✭✭
    And the same enchantment will be stronger on a blue than it would be on a white piece.
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the armor doesn't increase?
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The armour rating does increase, the armour level does not.
    Edited by Orchish on August 21, 2014 5:20PM
  • JessieColt
    JessieColt
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you create a Level 50 armor that has +2% Training skill on it, and you upgrade that to a green item, the base armor value will go up and the + training percentage will go up, along with any base level for the enchantment you have on the item.

Same for upgrading it further.

As an example, if your base armor value is 140, going green may take that to 144, going blue may take that to 152 and going purple may take it to 158, etc.

I do not know the exact numbers, those are just an example.

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orchish wrote: »
    agree.gif

It would be nice to have a way to increase (or decrease for that matter) the level of an item.
    idea.gif
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what's the point? In Skyrim you could that a piece of crap and turn it into a legendary armor with increase armor rating, same with weapons.

I didn't notice if the enchantment changed, but I pay more attention the next time I upgrade something, that's a plus.

So if what everyone said is true, then there is no point in crafting gear until I max out at VR because I will be upgrading my gear every time I level up?
  • robeauch
    robeauch
    ✭✭✭
    If the improvement attempt succeeds, you'll you'll have higher armor on the new item. (Or higher DPS on a weapon.) If you successfully improve a white 120-armor chestpiece into a green chestpiece, the green might have 130 armor, for example. So, if you're saying that you improved an armor item from white to green but its armor did not go up, that would be a bug. (But you may want to try recreating it and submitting screenshots. I have never seen that bug happen. Armor always goes up with a successful improvement.)

To your second question: The point in crafting gear as you level is to give yourself better gear than you're getting from quests and mob kills. It's not too difficult to keep your crafting on a par with your own level as you go -- that's one of the nice things about ESO's crafting system.

• RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, then it was a bug then, so the next time I go online, I'll try again and see if the armor increases. The lack of the armor increasing was my main concern.

Thanks everyone for clearing this up.
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just tried upgrading the "Shoes of the Shadow Dancer" from fine to superior, and the armor was 91 before and 91 after. None of the enchantments were raised either. No change except for the temper, so is my character bugged?

My character's crafting level for clothing is level 50. So I just wasted 2500 gold.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RSram wrote: »
    So if what everyone said is true, then there is no point in crafting gear until I max out at VR because I will be upgrading my gear every time I level up?
    A lot of people think that way but i'm not one of them. I replace my gear every 4 levels or so and if i have the tempers to upgrade it at that point i use them.

I made my first legendary axe at level 16. Why? Because i could ...
    ;-)
  • Road2insanity777
    Road2insanity777
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Orchish wrote: »
    agree.gif

It would be nice to have a way to increase (or decrease for that matter) the level of an item.
    idea.gif

This is a VERY good idea and the only way I will resubscribe... I'm not remaking 10 legendary weapons at V14 lol

@ZOS_PaulSage please at least consider this, it's the only idea I have heard that solves the main problem and still allows for the increase in cap to V14. It would have to go into effect BEFORE V14 and would have to be announced soon, but its the best solution I've heard by far.
    Edited by Road2insanity777 on August 21, 2014 10:26PM
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the same enchantment will be stronger on a blue than it would be on a white piece.

The enchantment only gets stronger if it is the original enchantment on a dropped piece of equipment. Enchantments manually placed on the item won't scale with the items rarity.
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The enchantment only gets stronger if it is the original enchantment on a dropped piece of equipment. Enchantments manually placed on the item won't scale with the items rarity.

So if I crafted an item from scratch and add the first enchantment, it can no longer be increased because it isn't dropped loot.

Or if the original enchantment is changed (from either an crafted or looted) item then it can no longer be increased through tempering?

Crafting in ESO is not as straight forward and as logically defined as it was in Skyrim. Too many if, buts, and exceptions to the rules. I been wasting a lot of gold because of these stupid little gotchas! Which is why I posted this topic in the first place.

I just wasted a 78 Health Glyph on a pair of shoes which only gave me 34 health after using the Glyph which already had 34 health to begin with. I wish the crafting interface had a preview of the crafting result.

• alkoriak
    alkoriak
    ✭✭✭
    You only get the full value of the glyph enchant on the large pieces of armor (chest, helmet, breeches and shield). On the other pieces you receive +- 40% of this value. You can see the real value when you are about to enchant and hover the cursor to the item in the right. It would have told you your enchant was +31 health and not 78. It is not wasted anyway since you can't do better anyway :).
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

what everyone has said is true, but your conclusion is wrong.

I regularly craft fresh gear, you can onlly go so far with the drops, and you need your gear to be within about six levels of your current level. Higher quality gear can last longer, but not indefinately.

Also the style of the gear needs to match my characters, I find Imperial Armour looks right for my Templar, while my DK needs Dunmer/Redguard chestpieces to look right. I can do it with other styles, and do, but I like it to look right when I can.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments; I learned a bit more about crafting.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish the crafting interface had a preview of the crafting result.
    @RSram
    The problem is not with crafting the glyph, the problem is that smaller armor pieces only get a small percentage of the glyph value when you enchant them.

When you go to enchant your armor the dialog where you apply the glyph to your armor piece will tell you (before you hit the OK button) how much of the glyph is actually applied.
    ;-)
    Edited by SirAndy on August 24, 2014 7:41PM
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what's the point? In Skyrim you could that a piece of crap and turn it into a legendary armor with increase armor rating, same with weapons.

I didn't notice if the enchantment changed, but I pay more attention the next time I upgrade something, that's a plus.

You can only level up armor every other level, at even levels.

There's overlap between levels and quality. Purple gear will last you through to the next material tier, especially if you can get matching purple enchants. With blue you might need to make a new set halfway through, green, every other level. White is a waste of time, you might as well just wear green dropped armor, it will be better generally.

Veteran gear is another matter. One purple set for Cadwell's Silver, another for Carwell's Gold. I'd save up all my Legendary mats for after that.
    Edited by Srugzal on August 25, 2014 12:33AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In VR I always craft new sets from time to time, higher level items also have better values and you are able to craft better sets as you research.
    crafting a set and temper to green is not a huge issue, neither is blue.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    robeauch wrote: »
    If the improvement attempt succeeds, you'll you'll have higher armor on the new item. (Or higher DPS on a weapon.) If you successfully improve a white 120-armor chestpiece into a green chestpiece, the green might have 130 armor, for example. So, if you're saying that you improved an armor item from white to green but its armor did not go up, that would be a bug. (But you may want to try recreating it and submitting screenshots. I have never seen that bug happen. Armor always goes up with a successful improvement.)

To your second question: The point in crafting gear as you level is to give yourself better gear than you're getting from quests and mob kills. It's not too difficult to keep your crafting on a par with your own level as you go -- that's one of the nice things about ESO's crafting system.

Correction - most crafting professions can keep up with toon leveling - not enchanting.
    Edited by purple-magicb16_ESO on August 26, 2014 2:42PM
    Give 'er eh!