Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How many Add-Ons do you use?

Swampster
Swampster
✭✭✭
I was tinkering last night, and was pretty amazed/shocked at how many add-ons I'm running for me to get the information I want on screen, and how I want my UI presented... I was using 26 Addon-ons.

While addons can be great, I'm a little bit concerned about how much reliance I have to have on them to make the game playable/enjoyable for me. Most the addons I'm using are incorporating things that I feel should already be in the UI, or at least a toggleable option to turn it on or off.

While so far I've not really noticed any negative impact on the game, other than the occasional error pop-up (usually after an update).. the problems start to arise when the addon authors move onto other games, and for me it becomes an issue when I'm left with a less than acceptable UI that I've grown accustomed to when addons become out-dated and no longer function.

So, how many are you guys using? Is my 26 particularly excessive.. or are there others out there totally reliant on addons to mould the game into something they can play?

What are your favourite must haves?
Swampriel - Nightblade (Archer Build) - Ebonheart Pact - Veteran
Swampess - DragonKnight - Eboheart Pact - Lowbie Faceroller
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just 2 and only got them 2 weeks ago -- research timer and displays what I get from auto loot. Don't need or want any more of that. I do not really *need* the research timer.
    Edited by k9mouse on August 11, 2014 11:57AM
  • Kvasir Silverpaw
    Kvasir Silverpaw
    ✭✭✭
    Using 8. Favorite is the one that tells me what ive sold since ZOS is too dumb to add it into the mail I get sending me my coin.
  • Nathano
    Nathano
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't use any addons. I really like the minimalist UI of the game which is a nice refreshing change from other games where half the screen is blocked with bars and counters etc :smile: However I wouldn't object to more UI options as long as they are turned off by default.
  • Jagath
    Jagath
    ✭✭✭
    I use a dozen or so depending on the toon i use. I have a couple craft specific add ons i only use on my crafter etc. I try to use as few as possible to avoid any issues but I like FTC and ZRminimap. FTC has a lot of additional features that tell you what loot has dropped and your research timers etc. For the others i use a lot of the more popular ones like skyshards, lorebooks, treasure map, and advanced filters.
    Edited by Jagath on August 11, 2014 12:03PM
  • ebondeath
    ebondeath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had 5, but 3 of them are no longer working without updates, so I guess I'm down to 2. Time to go shopping for replacements.

Active add-ons:
    - SkyShards
    - Lorebooks

Inactive add-ons:
    - Archangel (shows exp gained and xp bar)
    - SocialIndicators (marks friends/guildmates with various tags and shows guild ranks)
    - Mundus Map (shows mundus stone locations and what buffs they give)
    Edited by ebondeath on August 11, 2014 2:05PM
    ╔═════════════⌈Alannah Corvaine⌋══════════════╗
    Rise, rise! To freedom, rise! Arise, ye Breton sons and daughters.
    Ride, ride! To freedom, ride! Truth and glory to the brave!
    ╚═════════════⌊VR 12 Breton NB⌉══════════════╝
  • Zabalah
    Zabalah
    ✭✭✭
    I use 34 and usually turn off about 10 of them if they only serve occasional use. As of the last patch, I get error messages popping up telling me that my addons are approaching the limit of memory the game can support. I hate the UI in this game and find it totally lacking. It's really frustrating to come to rely on an addon and then discover that it breaks on patches and the author has split to unknown cyberspace.

I'm about ready to learn how to program addons for my own peace of mind.
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    These are my MUST HAVE:

- Advanced Filters (to find anything, inventory is kinda big to search for things, especially with bag upgrades)
    - Research Assistant (because I don't like comparing every piece I find with notes on what I have and what I need)
    - SoftcapInfo (BECAUSE, though since 1.3.3 I have problems reaching any cap other than armor/resist ones, so it's no longer such a must)
    - Skyshards (because I don't like "exploring" the same zones on my 5th character)
    - Lorebooks (same as above)
    - Borrower and Lender (shut up, NPCs!)
    - Foundry Tactical Combat (because I like seeing damage I deal, and the damage done to me.. and my own buffs and duration of DoTs I put on target - since they don't show up on default healthbars.. who am I to count 2-3 dots/debuffs in my head? lol)

Everything else I have is optional and I don't even care to download new versions, I just shut them down if they stop working.
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a total of 12, but other than my alchemist toon, most of them only use 10.
    • AI Research Grid - Easy to see what each character has researched, and is currently researching.
    • Alchemist - Streamlines what components can be combined to get the most out of discovering their traits (though I should probably remove this as I've probably learned all traits for all ingredients)
    • Foundry Tactical Combat - Provides a lot of useful information, but I mostly use it for the better UI than the default.
    • Greymind Quickslot bar - Makes drinking potions and using the quickslot mechanic easier (exponentially easier).
    • Lootdrop - Nice to see what I've looted when Auto-Loot is turned on.
    • Lorebooks - Much easier to find all the Lorebooks since they're shown on the map.
    • Lost Treasure - Marks a red X on the map when you find a treasure map. Also pops up a mini view of the map while you're looking for that elusive dirt pile.
    • Potion Maker - Shows me the best options for mixing potions.
    • Research Assistant - Nice to know at a glance that an item in my inventory has a trait that I have not researched yet.
    • Skyshards - Shows all skyshards on the map.
    • Sous Chef - Sous Chef will work through your cookbook, and then whenever you look at your inventory, loot or bank, will mark Provisioning Ingredients with the Provisioning Rank of any matching recipes that you know (I, II, III, IV, V, VI). If you mouse over the ingredient, Sous Chef will let you know which recipes use that ingredient, along with how many of that recipe you can make with your current inventory.
    • TiEmote - I'm an Emote junkie. Clicking from a complete list, or an optional custom list, is so much easier than trying to remember them all and having to type them out.
  • Slaunyeh
    Slaunyeh
    ✭✭✭
    I use none. Mostly out of stubbornness, because gosh darnit, the ability to mod should not be an excuse to have a lackluster default UI.

But also, and probably more importantly, because I tend to get really reliant on these things, and then something breaks. Or a new patch invalidates something. And I don't want a bouncy gameplay experience like that.

So I prefer to go it without.
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    Zabalah wrote: »
    I use 34 and usually turn off about 10 of them if they only serve occasional use. As of the last patch, I get error messages popping up telling me that my addons are approaching the limit of memory the game can support. I hate the UI in this game and find it totally lacking. It's really frustrating to come to rely on an addon and then discover that it breaks on patches and the author has split to unknown cyberspace.

I'm not sure whether it works or not, and I guess it depends on how much RAM your PC has, but I'm guessing probably more than enough... so if you looking in one of the .ini files that's within your Elder Scrolls Profile (it's inside your Docs folder by default) there's a setting for the amount of memory the game will allow for addons. If I remember correctly it was set at 8Mb or something on mine (I'm not at home to get the proper filename). I changed the value and upped mine to 128Mbs, now whether that works or not.. no idea, but I've not had any memory errors as yet.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP raises a great point. Right now I'm using about 20 addons. Of those, probably about 3 or 4 are what I'd consider of vital importance for me to enjoy the game properly. As mentioned, the type of addons I'm thinking about are the ones I'd consider should be part of the standard UI anyway.

Advanced Filters
    Shopkeeper
    Radar Minimap

There are others that I like, but without those three, I actually feel lost when I play. Almost like I'm playing without one of my senses or playing a lesser game. In the case of Shopkeeper and Radar at least, they were created to fill a gap left by an out of date addon or alongside it perhaps. When these addons go out of date and someone doesn't pick them up and continue the progress, what will the future of ESO look like for me? Perhaps that's a bit selfish, but if the addons don't get continued support through the life of the game, I get a lesser product at some inevitable time in the future when the creators simply move on.
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    My must haves are, by 'must have' I mean I'd really struggle to enjoy the game without..

FTC
    Azurah - Interface Enhanced
    Greymind Quickslot Bar
    Awesome Info
    Lootdrop, Continued (All in One)
    Wykkyd's Quest Tracker
    NoFade
    RMM - Radar Mini Map (beta MiniMap) + Additional Skin Pack.
    SoftcapInfo

Then a whole assortment of tweaks, ui, tooltips and utilities.. just to improve the experience for me..
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall, I feel almost all the addons are just cheats and takes away from playing the game. I refused to use any more addons besides my two (see 1st post). I love the min UI! I have played the game over month and half without any addons what so ever. Only reason I got the lootdrop to show what I get from auto loot.

I have done almost all my research with out the research timer, I am not to lazy to check the craft stations to figure the times of the research on my own.
  • Kego
    Kego
    ✭✭✭✭
    Currently, no Add ons.
    Only Add On I would use is a Debuff tracker. Nothing else is needed.
  • Zabalah
    Zabalah
    ✭✭✭
    Swampster wrote: »

I'm not sure whether it works or not, and I guess it depends on how much RAM your PC has, but I'm guessing probably more than enough... so if you looking in one of the .ini files that's within your Elder Scrolls Profile (it's inside your Docs folder by default) there's a setting for the amount of memory the game will allow for addons. If I remember correctly it was set at 8Mb or something on mine (I'm not at home to get the proper filename). I changed the value and upped mine to 128Mbs, now whether that works or not.. no idea, but I've not had any memory errors as yet.

Wow, thanks for that tip... I've looked for an .ini file in my Docs folder but have not been able to find it... only file close to a .ini is addon settings and user settings and both are txt files.
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    t tip... I've looked for an .ini file in my Docs folder but have not been able to find it... only file close to a .ini is addon settings and user settings and both are txt files.

I'll post up the proper filename when I get home

• Zabalah
    Zabalah
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Swampster... appreciate that!
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
    {EU/DC}
  • Mission
    Mission
    ✭✭✭
    Too many to remember how many I use, but most of mine actually get rid of more ui elements..like quest tracking.compass and such.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have 5.

Two of my own that do cosmetic changes, one more that used to belong to someone else but I make sure it still works when things change. One I am testing and will eventually remove after I understand how it works.

The last one is my add-on that spies on the game when I need it to.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    I only have 5.

Two of my own that do cosmetic changes, one more that used to belong to someone else but I make sure it still works when things change. One I am testing and will eventually remove after I understand how it works.

The last one is my add-on that spies on the game when I need it to.

LOL, yeah I imagine it's great when you can write your own instead of relying on other's work! I guess you can incorporate exactly what you feel you need.. :)

• shadowz081
    shadowz081
    ✭✭✭
    -Azurah interface: Prefer the 'classic' ESO style bars.
    -Craftstore: Mainly to keep track of research
    -Foundry tactical combat: To see buffs and damage i am dealing, turn off the resource bars for this one.
    -Outfitter: 3 clicks and I have what i need on, instead of scrolling back and forth through my inven.
    -Recount: The addon should basically explain it self.
    -Soft Cap info: To view soft caps

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craft Store, Sous Chef and FTC. The last I have almost everything turned off, don't want a bunch of text on screen when I play.

The first two are key for me to keep Provisioning and Research straight. I probably deconstructed too many things I could have researched if I had paid attention to what I had done or not done. However, with the Guild Stores, I now just buy what I need to research, it's easier than finding it as random loot.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Zabalah
    Zabalah
    ✭✭✭
    Well here's a thought...

Update the UI to include the functionality that addOns provide.

Then, give options to turn the functionality of individual UI elements OFF.

That way, those of you who prefer a lean and mean and painful UI experience, can reduce the functionality to 0...

while the rest of us can wallow in cheating the game because it has an awesome UI built right into the game! :p

• Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wykkyd's Framework
    Curvy HUD
    PSBT
    Skyshards
    Lorebooks

I may switch out PSBT with FTC as Pawkette has not updated the addon in ages.
    Edited by Tabbycat on August 11, 2014 12:57PM
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • Vendersleigh
    Vendersleigh
    ✭✭✭
    None.
    I enjoy the game not looking at lots of bits of writing around the screen.
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 0 - zero - zilch and have yet to feel the need to use any.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use add-ons, thus I don't get screwed when ZOS break them in an update and the guy who wrote it has long since abandoned the game so no one to fix it.

The game's UI sucks totally but I won't rely on third-parties to fix it.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on August 11, 2014 1:14PM
  • traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero (0)

I tried a few combat ones, and a few frame mods. Didn't like the results, or in some cases how the UI elements looked.

I don't like the "show explorable items on my map" mods for skyshards and books etc. Defeats the point of the items.

I don't have a problem with my inventory or bank, so don't need those...

I might consider a store mod, but there is so little that I need to buy, I don't need really fancy searches... I also don't sell in a store currently.
    Edited by traigusb14_ESO2 on August 11, 2014 1:19PM