Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

My Return and Experience With ESO Post Update 3

Publius_Scipio
Publius_Scipio
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
First I'd like to say that I HAVE RETURNED. I let my subscription go at the end of May, but after seeing the Quake Con panel and read about Update 3 I got the itch to come back.

I just want to say that the game is leaps and bounds improved since May. The difference to someone that stepped away for so long and came back is stark. The game is much more smooth (animations, running around, etc).

- I have not experienced any FPS issue
- I am able to play in Cyrodiil for over 2 hours without game crash. (When game launched I was crashing within 15-30 mins).

Overall I am very pleased with my experience thus far back in ESO. I do believe that Update 3 is the beginning of ESO really hitting its stride and will keep getting better.

I am playing on a late 2013 macbook pro (fully spec'd out).

@Moonraker‌ do you remember me?
  • GFBStarWars
    GFBStarWars
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, which spec do u currently have and which graphic setting do you use, most people are currently crashing.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, which spec do u currently have and which graphic setting do you use, most people are currently crashing.
    Spec as in my Mac? Late 2013 macbook pro with all the options checked off. Don't have any funky programs installed or anything like that. Nothing that would cause conflict.

My game settings I have textures, shadows, and water reflections on medium. Draw distance is whatever the general "high" graphics setting gives you. All the other graphics options toggled on. Vsync is off.

I am in Blackwater Blade Cyrodiil campaign (5 day, non VR). It isn't super highly populated but I was in battles with things flying everywhere and performance was maintained and at least 2 hours no crash.

Also like I said in my OP, I had left ESO and uninstalled everything. I just came back with the release of Update 3. It was a complete fresh game install from the ground up.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Welcome back, @Publius_Scipio‌! :smile:

@Moonraker has gone on hiatus, as he has detailed here.

It's very interesting to know that you've started with a fresh install and don't see any of those issues a number of folks reported having after the patch hit. Some of them can be attributed to addons being out of date and causing FPS issues, but not all. For others, deleting the usual suspects (UserSettings.txt, ShaderCache.cooked) helped matters. But the ultimate litmus test of game stability seems to be a fresh install, which many people shun for various valid reasons.
  • Yshaar
    Yshaar
    ✭✭✭
    Hello and welcome back, I do remember you :)

Very interesting that you are not crashing for 2h in Cyrodiil. I deleted user settings and Shadercache before trying it out, but I have like 5 up-to-date add ons running.

I will test with your graphic settings and will report back.
    I also read that pc users are crashing since 1.3 in pvp, maybe our crashes are related, now that the memory leak is partly solved?!
  • ldwulfub17_ESO
    I do not believe it is the specs as much as the campaign.

I am in the same campaign (Blackwater, non-VR). I have noticed greater stability when the server load is light (which is most of the time). I can play pvp for 1 hr - 2hrs in best conditions.

At peak times (which is WAY light by the standards of my old campaign that was full) and if I am heading into big battles, I still crash.

I am on a MacBook Pro as well. 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 (quad-core), 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Pro.

I actually LEAD a group of 24 players last night for the first time since I got this game. I only crashed twice in ~2 hrs leading it. It is a pain since I have to ask someone to give me the lead back after crashing, but it was a nice experience I could not have had before on prior PvP servers.

As a non-hardcore gamer, the non-VR PvP server is nice. The only problem is that we rarely have enough people logged in to take anything significant down and since most non-VR people are relative n00bs compared to higher servers, we are totally disorganized, using no tools, no specializations, etc.

(Sorry to mix Mac and other game related stuff, but it is relevant as choice of playstyle affects performance and vice versa).
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome back, @Publius_Scipio‌! :smile:

@Moonraker has gone on hiatus, as he has detailed here.

It's very interesting to know that you've started with a fresh install and don't see any of those issues a number of folks reported having after the patch hit. Some of them can be attributed to addons being out of date and causing FPS issues, but not all. For others, deleting the usual suspects (UserSettings.txt, ShaderCache.cooked) helped matters. But the ultimate litmus test of game stability seems to be a fresh install, which many people shun for various valid reasons.
    @Moonraker‌ :( .

Also I would like to add that as a more casual gamer I also play without any add ons.
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First I'd like to say that I HAVE RETURNED. I let my subscription go at the end of May, but after seeing the Quake Con panel and read about Update 3 I got the itch to come back.

I just want to say that the game is leaps and bounds improved since May. The difference to someone that stepped away for so long and came back is stark. The game is much more smooth (animations, running around, etc).

- I have not experienced any FPS issue
    - I am able to play in Cyrodiil for over 2 hours without game crash. (When game launched I was crashing within 15-30 mins).

Overall I am very pleased with my experience thus far back in ESO. I do believe that Update 3 is the beginning of ESO really hitting its stride and will keep getting better.

I am playing on a late 2013 macbook pro (fully spec'd out).

Agreed. Aside from the mac client, I am in the very same position. I cancelled my sub just before my free trial ended, and I just resubbed. A reinstall was necessary, as I had since wiped my pc, and I am experiencing no slowdowns, FPS drops, or bow issues despite extensive use of the weapon.

In addition, I agree wholeheartedly with the improved state of the game. The progress-blocking quest bugs are all but extinct, it runs smoother, the campaigns are far more condensed (empty Cyrodiil instances were very frustrating), and the promise of Spellcrafting, Imperial City and Justice System leaves me with confidence this game is headed in the right direction.

A couple of issues though. I periodically get an error popping up on my screen, "data load" failure I believe. It's just an inconvenience closing it, but it is annoying. That could however be my rig, I've had issues with it outside of ESO. Also, the improved facial animations need to be given top priority, at least for me. The current version is horrible, I cannot quest with a straight face right now.
    Edited by MorHawk on August 8, 2014 2:00PM
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • Karuizawa
    Karuizawa
    Soul Shriven
    With these settings, does`t your fan run like hell ? I do have the same Macbook, but mine is cooking after 10 Minutes.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MorHawk wrote: »
    A couple of issues though. I periodically get an error popping up on my screen, "data load" failure I believe. It's just an inconvenience closing it, but it is annoying.

Out of curiosity, do you run any addons? I don't, and have never seen such an error message. I did see a post of someone who's encountered the same issue, though.
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MorHawk wrote: »
    A couple of issues though. I periodically get an error popping up on my screen, "data load" failure I believe. It's just an inconvenience closing it, but it is annoying.

Out of curiosity, do you run any addons? I don't, and have never seen such an error message. I did see a post of someone who's encountered the same issue, though.

Most of the popular ones, yes. I'll research it later, I want to get my main up to level 20 first.
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Karuizawa wrote: »
    With these settings, does`t your fan run like hell ? I do have the same Macbook, but mine is cooking after 10 Minutes.
    My Macbook sits on a stand (Griffin Elevator for macbooks) which allows air to circulate around it. Also because it is summer I have a normal house fan set on low pointed at the macbook. No issues.

But yes a macbook is not a gaming laptop and in general I would like to see Apple improve cooling on their systems. Of course Apple is all about style, design, and thinness so you can't have a beefy internal cooling system.
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mac? r those the white machines? lol welcome back.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant