Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

v1.3.3 - Mac Client - Crashes as much as ever.

Kiljaz
Kiljaz
✭✭✭
Zenimax, I've been hearing from you for a while that you had a fix for this that was going into v1.3.3 and that its a top priority. So what happened?
  • Karikin
    Karikin
    ✭✭✭
    seriously? i'm still downloading the patch, but if thats true its not acceptable that it is taking it this long for them to fix this large of an issue for a large part of their player base.
  • Amylar
    Amylar
    ✭✭✭
    You mean 1.3.3 patch did not solve the issue ?
    [
  • GFBStarWars
    GFBStarWars
    ✭✭✭
    so no improvement in any way to the mac client?
    p.s.:im playing on eu so will test tomorrow
  • ZOS_UlyssesW
    ZOS_UlyssesW
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, all. We've moved this thread to the Mac Technical Support section. Thanks!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Kiljaz
    Kiljaz
    ✭✭✭
    I put it in general for a reason... people rarely even look here.
  • Stash
    Stash
    ✭✭
    Mac client memory leak is definitely not fixed. I just tried PvP, and sure enough, the client crashes at around 3.9GB of virtual memory. I can get a few more minutes out of PvP with settings at low or off than with textures at medium and view distance turned up a bit. Still, client seems to crash after 20 to 30 minutes of PvP, regardless of graphics settings.
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, all. We've moved this thread to the Mac Technical Support section. Thanks!

Well, at least that worked.

In all seriousness. How did this fix that passed testing ever have any credibility? I feel for Jessica who has to face the players while devs NOT fix stuff. Going on 6 months now? You guys get 10 - 20 crash reports per day from me.

What is the revenue hit that has to occur before top priority turns into action? I'm not resub'ing until this is fixed and I'm gonna flood you with /bug.

-Jeth
    Edited by Jeth on August 5, 2014 2:30AM
    -Jeth
  • Kiljaz
    Kiljaz
    ✭✭✭
    Customer Service just responded to my help ticket with a list of minimum requirement specs... when I'm running a top of the line computer with 16g ram, dual video cards, solid state drive etc..
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    Kiljaz wrote: »
    Customer Service just responded to my help ticket with a list of minimum requirement specs... when I'm running a top of the line computer with 16g ram, dual video cards, solid state drive etc..

Do you feel serviced? I'm running 2014 hardware with 32 GB of RAM and 1TB SSD.

-Jeth
  • PrinceBoru
    PrinceBoru
    ✭✭✭✭
    No problems on my Mac.
    It ain't easy being green.
  • bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aw cmon ZOS, almost got my second char to max VR, I'm running outa stuff to do, let me pvp
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
  • IKilled007
    IKilled007
    ✭✭✭✭
    PvE: still fine.
    PvP: worse than before. Crashes every 20 min, tops.
    The only substitute for victory is overkill.
  • Stash
    Stash
    ✭✭
    PrinceBoru wrote: »
    No problems on my Mac.
    Have you tried PvP yet? I can PvE all I want with no crashes, regardless of graphics settings, PvP however crashes after about 30 minutes of play.
  • NickWindust
    No better and arguably worse for me after 1.3.3. I got the error 2 min after logging in after today's Guild fix. I was just standing still in the Evermore bank. The memory leak is as bad or worse than ever as well.

Oddly enough, I only have this problem on my MacBook Pro laptop. I don't have the problem on my PC gaming rig (knock on wood) at home, even though plenty of other PC users have this problem.

I play a lot on the road, so I wonder if it a router/server latency issue. If so, that may explain why it happens across platforms, configurations, and OS's. The bug may simply be the result of a time out call (maybe residual of testing/debugging code) which means the fix would be simple. Just increase the length of the time out wait time by an order or magnitude or more.

I also wonder if a cost-benefit analysis has found that it would cost more to find and fix this bug than the loss in revenue due to loss of the relatively small percentage of players plagued by this bug.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also wonder if a cost-benefit analysis has found that it would cost more to find and fix this bug than the loss in revenue due to loss of the relatively small percentage of players plagued by this bug.
    Given that they continue to release fixes to live versions ever since beta including this week in Update 3 1.3.3 specifically for the Mac client this is not the case.

The Mac gaming market is a small percentage indeed (around 5% of PC market) but they still committed to developing a native Mac client over four years ago and continue to do so. There are a lot of pressures I am sure on resources especially with an upcoming console release etc. but it is a large development team and each is part of that effort as a cross platform development.

The reality is just that it is a difficult issue to resolve or it would have been fixed a while back. The underlying demands of a modern MMO on a native Mac client using OPenGL and other required APIs is the difference between it and the PC version. Both suffer memory issues but the Mac client has less wriggle room and crashes while the PC client is more able to cope with a lower initial overhead. Plus any platform specific issues.

They continue to work on it and future solutions (64-bit) I'm sure as the fixes out this week show. They may not be the one BIG fix but show that efforts continue.
  • NickWindust
    You misunderstand me. I was not suggesting that this is a Mac only problem. I have been posting on different forums where there are a many Win platform users who are complaining about this bug. i just ran across this Mac forum today. I just think it is interesting that I have this problem on my Mac but not my PC (Win 7).

My comments about cost-benefit were meant to apply across the board and were not intended to suggest that the developers are specificaly neglecting the Mac client.

In fact, the entire reason I immediately bought and subscribed to EOS was that they had taken the effort to have a Mac client from the outset, even thought I have never played any of the other games in the Elder Scrolls series. So I will be very disappointed if I will not be able to play ESO on my Mac in a reliable manner.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In fact, the entire reason I immediately bought and subscribed to EOS was that they had taken the effort to have a Mac client from the outset, even thought I have never played any of the other games in the Elder Scrolls series. So I will be very disappointed if I will not be able to play ESO on my Mac in a reliable manner.

As to "reliable", it strongly depends on the type of activity you choose to do in game; actions that require the exchange of lots and lots of graphical assets will deplete available memory faster, and thus crash the client earlier (e.g. PvP zergs), while PvE questing outside of bustling cities can yield up to 4 or 5 hour gaming sessions (after which I'd need a break anyway ;)). YMMV.

I'd rather prefer to have a rock-stable Mac client too, but then again, who doesn't? A big consolation is to see the continuing work and effort they put into it, update after patch after update. I've known other studios which threw the towel or quietly abandoned their Mac endeavors. More often than not, for companies it's very much a question of HR expertise they need to find in the first place, then attain and then again retain. It's not as easy as it sounds, because Mac developers with a matching set of skills and experience don't grow on trees.

But it's a growing market out there, and those who see it want to tap it, too. And being a gaming customer myself, an interesting game having Mac support is almost certainly on my radar. Yes, there's always Windows in Boot Camp as an alternative, but it's only better than nothing. ;)
  • Yandros
    Yandros
    ✭✭
    Up until last night my PVE experience was fine where I could play for 6 hours straight with no crash. PVP I am lucky to get 20 mins top (no change after new patch). Last night however I was getting crash to desktop over and over mostly when just interacting with the bank or the new guild stores.

it only started after the new guild system was opened back up. before that.... no problem in PVE or just being in town.
  • PrinceBoru
    PrinceBoru
    ✭✭✭✭
    PrinceBoru wrote: »
    No problems on my Mac.

Please strike this from the record.
    I now am having constant issues with losing control of my character.
    Combat seems to trigger this reliably.
    My eagerness to play ESO is waning because of this.
    It ain't easy being green.
  • Volla
    Volla
    ✭✭✭
    Yea pvp still crashes every 20 - 30 min. Sad to say but mac team sees incompetent to fix the memory leak in Cyrodiil.

So you ESO team said that you were fixing mac client and if it whent through the testing you will release it. does this mean you haven't been looked into the pvp part yet?

How long can we ETA to Wait for a fix?
    or are you even working on a fix ?
    kinda start to lose my faith in you guys....
  • Lenny
    Lenny
    ✭✭✭
    Kiljaz wrote: »
    I put it in general for a reason... people rarely even look here.

That is also why they move it :P - it keeps people from knowing that ESO has mac problems ;)
  • Lenny
    Lenny
    ✭✭✭
    Volla wrote: »
    Yea pvp still crashes every 20 - 30 min. Sad to say but mac team sees incompetent to fix the memory leak in Cyrodiil.

So you ESO team said that you were fixing mac client and if it whent through the testing you will release it. does this mean you haven't been looked into the pvp part yet?

I just started using MAC client again after 1.3.3 released - but man, I have a PC as my main! If I was depending on MAC for my main client I would have left permanently by now, so sorry for all of you guys!
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lenny wrote: »
    Volla wrote: »

I just started using MAC client again after 1.3.3 released - but man, I have a PC as my main! If I was depending on MAC for my main client I would have left permanently by now, so sorry for all of you guys!
    Before necroing out of date threads checking latest threads will show you that the issue was addressed in the recent patch update.

See this thread here acknowledging ads much for instance here.

In fact it was addressed in 1.3.3 but an new memory issue was introduced across PC & Mac clients which was fixed in 1.3.4.