Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

what nets you more provisioning inspiration?

Kronosphere
Kronosphere
✭✭✭✭
just wondering i have limited skill points to spend and want to max provisioning. will i get more exp from investing in the skill to make blue/purple recipes? or higher base level of the recipes? (level 30 purple vs level 50 green for example) assuming materials were a non issue. thanks =)
~House Indoril~
Submit to the three, the spirits and thy lords.

• Bazzakrak
    Bazzakrak
    ✭✭✭
    when I have gotten my alts up to 50 in provisioning, I did it pretty early in their career, so not sure this will be 100% viable to you.

I made sure I had alot of materials for them to use making food/drinks, and then 3-4 different recipes that were 1/6, 2/6 and 3/6 in Recipe Improvement.
    I then made up to lvl 20 provisioning with the 1/6 recipes, up to around 35 with the 2/6 and the rest of the way up to 50 with the 3/6 recipe.

Then I did a respec, to get the 3 skillpoints invested in Recipe Improvement and put them into my hireling.

The part that took most time, was aquirering the materials, running around collecting them.
    We're born, we live, we die. And along the way, you do the best with whatever crap you step in :p

I'm stranded all alone in the gas station of love, And I have to use the self-service pumps <3

Post Hoc Ergo Proptor Hoc o:)

Motivation alone is not enough. If i had an idiot with me and i motivated him, then i will have a motivated idiot to do stuff :s
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    The improved Recipes do not have any observable effect on the amount of XP earned from cooking. Mostly, XP comes from making food that is leveled above you. I have found that when I obtain L12 I'm getting the third 'tier' of base ingredients for the L1-L15 region and if I have an appropriate green recipe I sprint to L50 Provisioning by making the recipe's food. I have one character who made Prov L50 by Char L18. My current Alt is at Prov L36 and Char L13. I haven't worked on Provisioning for any other Alts.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Dilly_Waffles
    Dilly_Waffles
    ✭✭✭
    Level of the recipe is the only thing that matters, not quality.

I think I remember it goes something like, but dont quote me on this, 600xlevel is the xp you get
  • alkoriak
    alkoriak
    ✭✭✭
    My main is lv 50 provisionning from a long time ago but I wanted to free him from this duty so I rolled an alt just for that. Lv 4 only and lv 48 provisionning but the most difficult part was finding the good recipes that almost all other alts found already. Don't even care lv 1 recipes (500xp), at least begin with lv5 (3000xp) and try to go to lv 20 provisionning and get a skill point in power. Now you can cook for 12000 xp (lv 20)or 15000 for lv 25 . I didn't test if the skill gourmand gives double xp since it doubles the amount. Same with alchemy but my character was already lv50 when I unlocked it.
  • renton1x1x1
    renton1x1x1
    ✭✭✭
    Getting to lvl 20 is definitely the hard part once i got to 20 i spent one skill point to make lvl 20-30 recipes. After that you can farm ingredients in your faction capital city and buy other missing ingredients- stock, broth and flour from the grocer. I got 6 alts to 48 in the last 2 weeks then going 3/3 in hireling.

Good recipes for getting 20 are worm tart and wriggles in gullet there are also a couple of lvl 10 recipes but these and the lvl 15 are a bit harder to find.

Doing it this takes long and uses more mats but it shows that investing in only one skill point is possible.
    Renton Sc Breton Sorcerer VR14
    Renton Tp Argonian Templar VR14
    Renton Dk Imperial DragonKnight VR14
    Renton Nb Khajiit Nightblade VR10 Vampire

www.alitheso.com Casual Social EU PvX Guild

Ebonheart Pact EU PVP Decimation Elite Azura's Star
    The Traveling Merchant
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/190077/the-traveling-merchant-eu-craglorn-trading-guild

So let me get this straight: You want to ride on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people and beg with him for your freedom. And you're telling me that you're completely sane? - Rimmer - Red Dwarf V - Quarantine
  • ShadowscaleSithis
    ShadowscaleSithis
    ✭✭✭
    My provisioner is only adventure level 10 but maxed at chef. I got to 30+ using basically plump worms. Even in later levels I was still getting decent xp from the worms.
  • Black_Wolf88
    Black_Wolf88
    ✭✭✭
    I just leveled up provisioning on my low lvl alt. I had a huge problem getting to level 20 due to few recipes and them being level 5 or 10. Once I got to 20 provisioning it was quick and easy. had stored up a lot of food materials in the guild bank and easily got to 50 using lvl 20 or 25 food recipe. the recipes at lvl 20 provisioning gives enough xp to quickly lvl to 50.

just because you can make higher lvl food doesnt mean you need too, as long as you have enough materials to use.
    "The key to immportality is first living a life worth remembering." -Bruce Lee
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put your points into Recipe Improvement to level the fastest.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to be the Debby downer here but seriously dude, you can hit max Provision in a few hours spamming level 20 and 25 Green recipes. If you have few points to spend and only want to max Provision for the moment just make w/e are the highest level Green recipes you know, it's that simple.
  • Siluen
    Siluen
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first 20 levels were a bit of a chore, mainly to find good recipes and materials. I could not really farm them with my veteran 12 character, and the guild stores didn't have much either, I made a level 1 recipe until around level 10, a level 5 recipe towards 20. The progress became quite slow near the end, so you will need quite a few low-level mats. I think it will help you quite a bit if you are able to pick up level 10 or 15 recipes somewhere.

After 20, it was an absolute breeze. Each craft gave a huge chunk of inspiration compared to the previous levels. I don't think I used more than 150-200 mats for all of it (plus the vendor-bought ones) and I got it done in... it couldn't have been more than fifteen to thirty minutes, finding the right vendors included. Just make a higher level recipe whenever you have invested a skill-point for it, and you'll be well on your way!

Altogether you'll be able to level it in a portion of your afternoon, if you can get your hands on mats through a guildstore or something of the sort, that is. :)
    Edited by Siluen on July 30, 2014 2:15PM
  • JessieColt
    JessieColt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get recipes that are red. Any level above your character level will generate a little more xp when you make them.

As someone said, put the points into Recipe Levels, and not quality as you power level. You can skill the blue & purple quality later on. Blue and purple quality recipes usually also require a purchased component to make. And those sell for about 63g each at a grocer. So you will spend more trying to skill up using those recipes than regular green ones.

Most green recipes can be found in trade guilds or in open zone chat for around 30 - 50g.

Also, if you have enough points, drop them into the Chef passive as well. This will boost your output to +4 at max. Meaning at 3/3 skill points in Chef, you will make 4 items for every create. It helps when it comes time to sell those low level ones you are creating while you are power leveling if you cannot use them on any of your alts.

If you create 25 stew at 5g each, (with Chef at 3/3) you will have a stack of 100 items, that is worth 500g minimum just selling it to the vendor.
  • ShadowscaleSithis
    ShadowscaleSithis
    ✭✭✭
    From my experience -- if you get the recipes for plump worms (any of the 3) and have enough of those with the other mat you can level it quite quickly. Just recently went from 31 to 34.5 from only 15 of those made. Also, my main chef made mostly those or the dragon sap recipes to max his level.

Also if memory serves me those are 1/1/ or at most 1/2 recipes no need to put more points into it unless you want.
    Edited by ShadowscaleSithis on August 3, 2014 9:25AM
  • HeroOfEvbof
    HeroOfEvbof
    ✭✭✭
    I have my main at prov lvl 50 and three mules at prov lvl 50. All my mules are lvl 4 still in their soul shriven robes. They ran around enough to get enough skyshards to get a total of four skill points.

Lvl 15 recipes use the same base ingredients as lvl 1. Since you are going to limited on the amount of drippings/thin broth/meal you have, to maximize gain you must use as high a recipe lvl as possible. Green is fine, blue does not give anymore gain over green.

Lvl 15 recipes are hard to buy, so you may end up using all lvl 10. If you are struggling to find enough meal/thin broth/drippings then that is where a skill point may be necessary to bump up to make lvl 25 recipes.

Again, lvl 25 is a huge advantage over lvl 20. Make the most out of those base ingredients. You can still farm these ingredients as a lvl 4 mule. Use guild teleport to get into your factions third zone. Since you are lvl 4, you resurre3ct without using a soul gem. Farm away. There are tons and tons of barrels and crates in towns and in parts of dungeons that have no mobs standing next to them.

I once got my hands on the three plump worm recipes and put all three on a mule. Using 150 thin broth, 150 meal and 100 drippings, I went from rank 8 provisioning all the way to rank 38 and put my points in hireling. This was an experiment and was not truly necessary.

My other mules put skill points in to make lvl 25 recipes and when I was done I respecced them out of that and now they have just 3/3 Hireling.

apud me omnia fiunt Mathematicè in Natura - Rene Descartes