Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Just awful. Plain and Simple. II

Vatter
Vatter
✭✭✭✭✭
I just don’t understand. Why does this game crash every 30 - 40 mins while in Cyrodiil? The game either crashes to a crash report where it asks what i was doing and to send it in to help “diagnose” the problem or it crashes to my desktop with a message saying “the elder scrolls online has unexpectadly quit."
Why has this STILL not been fixed? When will I get an answer from customer service other then “We are escalating this issue.” Then I never hear from them again. This is how my last 3 interactions with customer service have gone.

1.put in ticket #10 or 15 (can’t remember.) I get a response asking for me to run a diagnostic from the client and email it to representative so he can “escalate” it. I do so, and get an email the next day saying, “If we do not hear back from you your issue will be considered resolved. Sent in report again. No response.
2. Put in another ticket a few days later. No response at all this time. Not even an email.
3. a week later I put up a forum post about how god awful this games performance is. a ZOS employee sends me a PM asking for the email address associated with my account. I give it to him and get a response back that he is going to “escalate” the issue. haven’t heard a word since. However a funny side note the moderator posts on the forum that they are in contact with the OP and the he’s closing the thread. Yet have received no help. thread name - “just awful. plain and simple.”

Obviously the fan boys post saying that the problem is on my side and there’s something wrong with my computer or that Macs are not made for gaming and what did I expect. I have never had a problem running any other MMO and I’ve check my computer over and over and over. It’s NOT on my side. Here are some games I have had no trouble running.

Lord Of The Rings Online
World of Warcraft
EVE online

Never once did any of these games crash. SO to make absolutely sure without a single doubt I erased my hard drive and reinstalled my OS. ESO and My operating system are the only 2 things on here. Crash, Crash, Crash, Crash just like before. My hardware is not overheating either. This is clearly 100% the game.

My specs are-
iMac OS 10.9.4
intel i5
4 GB ram
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB
500 GB Hard Drive (450 GB free)

I’ve paid to play this game to its fullest potential not beta test it for the console. When will we be compensated for this and when will this actually get fixed. OR I would settle for “We have absolutely no idea what is going on or how to fix it. We really don’t care either. But thanks for your money. Oh and by the way you can change to the console for 20 bucks.”

How about kissing us first next time.
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're better off posting in the tech support section to be honest, not here. You already know the type of replies to expect here.

Hope you get it sorted.
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, those are some pretty weak specs... Have you checked if your RAM is almost at 100% just before the game crashes? If there's a resource monitor equivalent for mac.

Might be your machine is just too weak, might simply be because it's a mac.
    Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
    {EU/DC}
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [ MAC RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ]
    Operating System: Mac® OS X 10.7.0 or later
    Processor: Intel® i5
    Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 5770 or better
    Memory: 4GB Ram
    Storage: 60GB
    Media: DVD-ROM

[ MAC MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ]
    Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo
    Video Card: Intel™ HD Graphics 4000, NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 6490M or better
    Resolution: 1024X768 minimum display resolution

He meets the recommended specs.
  • Vatter
    Vatter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rodario wrote: »
    Well, those are some pretty weak specs... Have you checked if your RAM is almost at 100% just before the game crashes? If there's a resource monitor equivalent for mac.

MAC RECOMMENDED SPECS:
    Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7.0 or Later
    Processor: Intel i5 processor
    Memory: 4 GB System RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 60 GB free HDD space
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, ATI Radeon HD 5770 or better.

as you can see, I have above recommended specs to play this game. Those are the specs SUGGESTED by the company.
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loco_Mofo wrote: »
    [ MAC RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ]
    Processor: Intel® i5
    Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 5770 or better

[ MAC MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ]
    Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo
    Video Card: Intel™ HD Graphics 4000, NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 6490M or better

He meets the recommended specs.

Recommended specs usually mean you can play on minimum-medium details and it'll run kinda stable. That is if there's nothing else running at the same time. But as we all know, macs aren't for gaming anyway.
    {EU/DC}
  • pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO
    I haven't experienced any of the issues you do and if others haven't either than it's the problem with your system. In that case you need to contact technical support and let them know of the issue and check whether you have all the latest drivers and system updates.

The other games you're running are all 7-13 years old and have significantly different system requirements from what you'd expect from ESO.
    Edited by pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO on July 25, 2014 6:29AM
    "Do you want the book or not? Then go whack some people with Wabbajack!!"
  • david271749
    david271749
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're better off posting in the tech support section to be honest, not here. You already know the type of replies to expect here.

5a2e5be6a2.gif
  • ferzalrwb17_ESO
    ferzalrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rodario wrote: »

Everyone crashes out in Cyrodiil at some point if you play long enough. Some more than others. A lot of users with powerful PCs (not Macs) crash constantly in PvE. There are a lot of technical issues with this game for certain hardware and some for all hardware. That's to be expected with any game made for these platforms but the awful customer service is not.

5a2e5be6a2.gif

Thank you, sir! You've just made my day :smiley:
  • Adrastes
    Adrastes
    ✭✭✭
    i think i found your problem. you have a mac.
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost forgot to bring this to your attention:
    PC-Master-Race-Gif.gif
    Edited by Rodario on July 25, 2014 6:37AM
    {EU/DC}
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

5a2e5be6a2.gif

Haha I can't stop watching
  • Ecco
    Ecco
    ✭✭✭
    I am not experiencing any of the problems you mention, nor are any of the others in this thread. If many players were experiencing your problems, it would be all over the forums and gaming sites, reviews, etc. But they aren't. As much as you would like to deny it, this means that the problem is on your end. Period.

"Recommended specs" mean the bare minimum for crappy play, and they keep it low enough to make the game marketable to as many players as possible. But the truth is, those specs suck and your machine is just weak enough that it is hitting more problems than most. Something about your configuration and setup contribute to the problem in a way that doesn't happen with all of those (very old) games that you mention that don't have such problems.

Finally, you're playing a game on a Mac. Macs are always going to be second class citizens in gaming, get used to it or get a PC gaming rig. Every game is designed to run on a PC, and then maybe it will work on a Mac, too. Sort of. Hopefully. This is the tradeoff you make when you buy a Mac and get whatever advantages there are for having a Mac. Offhand, I can't think of any, unless you like spending more money and having fewer software choices, not to mention all the headaches that come with trying to make PC games work.
  • Vatter
    Vatter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ecco wrote: »
    I am not experiencing any of the problems you mention, nor are any of the others in this thread. If many players were experiencing your problems, it would be all over the forums and gaming sites, reviews, etc. But they aren't. As much as you would like to deny it, this means that the problem is on your end. Period.

"Recommended specs" mean the bare minimum for crappy play, and they keep it low enough to make the game marketable to as many players as possible. But the truth is, those specs suck and your machine is just weak enough that it is hitting more problems than most. Something about your configuration and setup contribute to the problem in a way that doesn't happen with all of those (very old) games that you mention that don't have such problems.

Finally, you're playing a game on a Mac. Macs are always going to be second class citizens in gaming, get used to it or get a PC gaming rig. Every game is designed to run on a PC, and then maybe it will work on a Mac, too. Sort of. Hopefully. This is the tradeoff you make when you buy a Mac and get whatever advantages there are for having a Mac. Offhand, I can't think of any, unless you like spending more money and having fewer software choices, not to mention all the headaches that come with trying to make PC games work.

I'm not quite sure if you understand the difference between minimum and recommended specs and there are what? 9 people on this thread. I think you don't see the threads as much because most of people experiencing them have quit. I bet if you go back in the posts you'll see a lot of threads about it.
  • Mondo
    Mondo
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have a Mac you should be rich. Go buy a real Gaming PC. Stop whining
    Im not the Hero you need, im the Troll you deserve!
    - Survived the WoW Pre LK Rogue Forum "Come at me Bro" -

L2P = Accept that DK is OP and stop complaining
    Vatter wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure if you understand the difference between minimum and recommended specs and there are what? 9 people on this thread. I think you don't see the threads as much because most of people experiencing them have quit. I bet if you go back in the posts you'll see a lot of threads about it.

You haven't been on these forums enough. If there were something wrong with the game, for example it were crashing in Cyrodiil - there would be dozens of active topics with such discussions. Since there aren't any at the moment I can only conclude that it's only yourself who's experiencing this and you should fix things on your side.
  • Akiainavas
    Akiainavas
    ✭✭✭
    We all know that the Mac client has some issues, especially with memory leaks etc. But to be honest - the first thing I would do is upgrade your RAM. 4GB is not enough for big PVP fights.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mac client seems to have big problems with performance and stability, and it looks as if the developers are not handling that situation well.

So, your problem is largely due to your choice of platform, but I would say the fault is with ZOS for not giving enough love to one of their two current platforms.
  • Guppet
    Guppet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is with ZOS, for saying it runs on Macs. The box should just say "if you have a Mac, give it a try, meh"
  • bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its the memory leak that still hasn't been fixed
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
  • Guppet
    Guppet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its the memory leak that still hasn't been fixed

Memory leak combined with minimum ram is the issue. Upgrade ram or wait for the leak to be fixed.
  • guybrushtb16_ESO
    guybrushtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Obviously the fan boys post saying that the problem is on my side and there’s something wrong with my computer or that Macs are not made for gaming and what did I expect. I have never had a problem running any other MMO and I’ve check my computer over and over and over. It’s NOT on my side. Here are some games I have had no trouble running.

Lord Of The Rings Online
    World of Warcraft
    EVE online

Never once did any of these games crash. SO to make absolutely sure without a single doubt I erased my hard drive and reinstalled my OS. ESO and My operating system are the only 2 things on here. Crash, Crash, Crash, Crash just like before. My hardware is not overheating either. This is clearly 100% the game.

If you think three programs running on your machine means a fourth one not running must be irrrefutable evidence for it to be 100% faulty, clearly you have absolutely not even the slightest idea of what you are talking about.

I do not mean to defend teso here, it certainly has it's problems but that statement is completely devoid of any foundation.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not mean to defend teso here, it certainly has it's problems but that statement is completely devoid of any foundation.

I think you are making sort of the same mistake as the OP by saying that anything short of absolutely waterproof evidence is the same as having absolutely no clue.

The symptoms are that one piece of software crashes constantly, while several other similar applications do not. That is not a 100% solid proof that the problem is with the crashing application, but I would say it is a very strong hint indeed.

Besides, the current Mac client is known to have a bad memory leak, so the conclusion, even though it wasn't based on absolutely solid evidence, is correct: the software is faulty.
  • Vatter
    Vatter
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lord Of The Rings Online
    World of Warcraft
    EVE online

If you think three programs running on your machine means a fourth one not running must be irrrefutable evidence for it to be 100% faulty, clearly you have absolutely not even the slightest idea of what you are talking about.

sigh.....another one who says I do not know what I'm talking about who CLEARLY does not know what he;s talking about. Its not the fact that I was able to run 3 programs that is the " irrrefutable evidence for it to be 100% faulty" its the fact that there is nothing but my OS and ESO on my computer. So let me write that again. My computer is back to "Factory settings" which means that its as if I took it out of the box. Then. Updated it. Then. Downloaded ESO.
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭

You haven't been on these forums enough. If there were something wrong with the game, for example it were crashing in Cyrodiil - there would be dozens of active topics with such discussions. Since there aren't any at the moment I can only conclude that it's only yourself who's experiencing this and you should fix things on your side.

This, basically. There is something specific to the OPs machine and how it's interacting with the program that is causing the game to crash. That doesn't mean there can't be a fix the ESO support provides and all, but the OP really needs to work with support directly. I'd suggest giving them a call. Or send in a ticket and provide whatever the Mac equivalent of a dxdiag is (also include the previous ticket numbers in this new ticket so they can reference them). Be as specific as you possibly can about both your computer specs, what's running when the game is (all programs/processes), and when/how exactly the game crashes.

If it's effecting such a small portion of the community that there are only 1-5 people posting about it on the forums, or online in general, then it's not a problem that's very likely to be addressed with a patch. The hope would rest with contacting support and giving them as much detail as possible.

And no, being able to run three programs is not proof that something on your computer isn't conflicting with ESO. The other programs are not ESO, they aren't going to try and access the same things as ESO, in the exact same way as ESO. All it proves is the 3 other programs have nothing that conflicts.

Updated to add: It's worth adding that the something conflicting could be completely out of the OPs control, but still unique to his situation. I've had issues where certain IP hops to get to a server cause issues (neither my, nor the games fault) or where an ISP flagged a game as peer-to-peer and purposefully slowed the connection speed. To diagnose the issue though, you're gonna have to be thorough, and that takes a lot of work on the customer's part. Having worked in tech support, I know a lot of customers are unwilling to do that part and head in with the mindset that everything is the fault of the company, and the company should fix it.

With computers specifically, that can be impossible. To fix an issue the developers will usually need to replicate it so they can see what's going wrong behind the scenes. If they don't know your specific specs (all of them), they don't know what it is about your machine that's behaving differently than their test machines, and they probably not going to be able to replicate it.
    Edited by Lalai on July 25, 2014 2:31PM
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • PrinceBoru
    PrinceBoru
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play on a Mac.
    No problems.
    It ain't easy being green.
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    @Vatter - We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing such a frustrating issue. Our Mac team has been on the case tracking this one down. We are currently testing a fix for what we believe is causing your issue. If it passes, it will be in Update 3.
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • guybrushtb16_ESO
    guybrushtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

I think you are making sort of the same mistake as the OP by saying that anything short of absolutely waterproof evidence is the same as having absolutely no clue.

The symptoms are that one piece of software crashes constantly, while several other similar applications do not. That is not a 100% solid proof that the problem is with the crashing application, but I would say it is a very strong hint indeed.

Besides, the current Mac client is known to have a bad memory leak, so the conclusion, even though it wasn't based on absolutely solid evidence, is correct: the software is faulty.

I absolutely agree with it being a hint, in fact this is what I would have called it as well. The part I was arguaing against though was the part where they flew into furious nerd rage and jumped to conclusions of 100% certainty which is completely inappropriate.
    Crash, Crash, Crash, Crash just like before. My hardware is not overheating either. This is clearly 100% the game.

At this point, it could very well be anything completely outside the game's control, like incompatible driver updates, hardware problems (memtest anyone?) or that usual third party junk often found on "factory settings".
  • andre.roques.3b14_ESO
    Best course, at this point, is try to see if there are any other Mac users with similar (likely identical) systems and see if they are having the same issues or not. If they are not, start comparing notes to see if there are any overlooked differences that you can replicate on your system. Sorry I can't provide anything more useful. :(
    NA MegaServer
    Alicron AD Altmer Templar
    Caltrinity EP Dunmer Sorcerer
    Brehhanon Moonblood DC Breton Nightblade
  • Slovenian_Gamer
    Slovenian_Gamer
    ✭✭✭
    I have similar problem on PC, but it's a bit different. Everytime I join a large battle, everyone freezes but I can still move freely for around 2 minutes (also can chat with friends) then I get an unknown error has occured message. Could you please reply me? My ticket is [Incident: 140720-001024].