The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Shadow Mundus Stone Working?

Worstluck
Worstluck
✭✭✭✭✭
Tried out the shadow mundus stone and it seems to be working. I saw a definite increase in my critical strike damage versus not having any mundus stone effects.

Would this be worth using now over the thief stone, if you already have around 50% crit (spell or physical)?
Worstluck - Breton Nightblade "Some of us refused to bow. We knew the old ways would lead us back to having a kingdom of our own."
―Madanach
Elfluck - Dunmer Dragonknight "When I will walk the earth again, the Faithful among you shall receive your reward: to be set above all other mortals forever. As for the rest: the weak shall be winnowed: the timid shall be cast down: the mighty shall tremble at my feet and pray for pardon."
―Mehrunes Dagon
Deadluck -Imperial Templar "Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour"
―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
  • forthewinn2
    forthewinn2
    ✭✭✭
    PTS Patch Notes v1.2.2
    Combat & Gameplay
    General
    • Mundus Stone buffs are now working properly again.

@Worstluck do you have any data/numbers on its current % crit damage increase?
  • Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just did a quick test. VR12 Nightblade template. 7/7 medium armor. I equipped one Dagger and used heavy attacks against a VR10 Sabre Cat.

362 w/ No Shadow Stone
    374 w/ Shadow Stone active
    Worstluck - Breton Nightblade "Some of us refused to bow. We knew the old ways would lead us back to having a kingdom of our own."
    ―Madanach
    Elfluck - Dunmer Dragonknight "When I will walk the earth again, the Faithful among you shall receive your reward: to be set above all other mortals forever. As for the rest: the weak shall be winnowed: the timid shall be cast down: the mighty shall tremble at my feet and pray for pardon."
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    Deadluck -Imperial Templar "Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour"
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
  • forthewinn2
    forthewinn2
    ✭✭✭
    Alright so some basic math here
    362*1.033=373.946
    so that means your crit damage is increasing by around 3.3%

lets assume you are a caster with 50% crit chance
    0.5*3.3=1.65 so your overall damage is increasing by 1.65 %
    now the thief mundus stone gives 5% crit chance this will increase your overall damage output by 2.5 %(because crits do 150 % damage) .

Basically under most circumstances The Thief mundus stone is better than the shadow, unless of course you're going for a big stealth opener and trying to burn down your enemy in 3 seconds for pvp.

So generally I would have to say pick The Thief mundus stone, unless of course you have a crit chance of 76% or higher at which point The Shadow mundus stone will provide a greater overall damage boost than the thief.
  • OkieDokie
    OkieDokie
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it supposed to give 5%?

Anyway, the total damage per 100 attacks will be very close, it is not a significant difference.
    People keep saying they heard of a friend of friend of friend of their neighbors that plays a NB and can catch up with dks and sorcs and this guy just never shows up. He would be a rock star if he existed.
  • Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright so some basic math here
    362*1.033=373.946
    so that means your crit damage is increasing by around 3.3%

lets assume you are a caster with 50% crit chance
    0.5*3.3=1.65 so your overall damage is increasing by 1.65 %
    now the thief mundus stone gives 5% crit chance this will increase your overall damage output by 2.5 %(because crits do 150 % damage) .

Basically under most circumstances The Thief mundus stone is better than the shadow, unless of course you're going for a big stealth opener and trying to burn down your enemy in 3 seconds for pvp.

So generally I would have to say pick The Thief mundus stone, unless of course you have a crit chance of 76% or higher at which point The Shadow mundus stone will provide a greater overall damage boost than the thief.

Thanks for the math @forthewinn2 !

Yes I had assumed it would be 5% at least. I am not sure if there is anything about that NPC, my gear, or skills that could affect the crit damage bonus of the Shadow Stone. I should probably test on different NPC's, as I am pretty sure many of those VR1-10 NPCs are still borked.
    ―Madanach
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Worstluck wrote: »
    Just did a quick test. VR12 Nightblade template. 7/7 medium armor. I equipped one Dagger and used heavy attacks against a VR10 Sabre Cat.

362 w/ No Shadow Stone

This is without wearing any items with divines trait, correct?
  • Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worstluck wrote: »

362 w/ No Shadow Stone

This is without wearing any items with divines trait, correct?

Yes. If I remember I was naked except for some jewelry. I didn't test anymore though. It's definitely worth testing this stone on live to see if it's working.
    ―Madanach
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
  • FifthofNovember
    FifthofNovember
    Soul Shriven
    I use a Vamp Night blade, melee dw. I have found that with the increase in attack speed critical damage seems to be doing better. I don't have exact figures, but i start with a shadowy disguise opener, then surprise attack morph. I had the numbers for it but can not seem to find them. With night mothers gaze armor bonus ,hundings rage, 7/7 medium armor, precise, and three assassination abilities slotted, its seems to be doing more with the shadow. Just my experience without hard math evidence i cant prove it. I would also assume with the new sets coming out a 75% crit chance threshold should be easier to obtain.