The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Copy your character from LIve server to PTS server

LPabon
LPabon
I'd like to be able to test some of the crafting in the test server and i noticed none of the templates have any abilities added to the crafts so I was thinking it would be nice to take one of my live toons that have crafted abilities and see how they will interact with the new content. Not just so for crafting but why not be able to test your live toons the ones you will be playing with and know how they play and what to expect to test them with upcoming or new content
Like a cyclone, imperialism spins across the globe; militarism crushes peoples and sucks their blood like a vampire.
  • indigoblades
    indigoblades
    ✭✭✭
    The ability to copy ur char is best or a LOTs more TEMPLATES next. Anything to allow more PTS testing is better than the what is available now.

Now, the ability to do meaningful testing on PTS is very Lacking. It is no surprise to me each 1st day major release is riddled with bugs due to lack of testing. After it is tested a week to 10 days in LIVE with paying subscribers, the major releases become at least as good as the previous rev. So i have no doubt ZOS can fixed bugs, just there is a hole in the testing part.

Templates, ability to copy or more options in PTS char creation would provide REAL testing with all the free PTS testers, this would stamp out lots of theses bugs.

Rev 1.10 and Rev 1.20 took 2 weeks to mature and both where very buggy. My hope is this is improved.

I am not sure at all of the mechanics of 'copy your live char to PTS' .... i think most char data is on the LIVE and PTS server and i dont know if those servers are connected. Maybe a third app thats more of tool, than a polished app could be used to allow char copies. I would be happy with that. Also i am sure the community would figure out how to use it if wasn't perfectly polished initially.

I knew skyrim console and mods very well but ESO is my first MMO, so any other people with more MMO experience please chime in if u have good ideas on how allow better testing on the PTS.

It would be nice to hear constructive ideas vs whining because the end goal is better testing before major releases, which will in the help ESO retain subscriptions which helps everyone.
  • Auric_ESO
    Auric_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    They know it's best to be able to copy your character. They haven't either developed the feature or it has issues. The made the templates as an interim solution. Yes the list of templates isn't complete.

The pts and production server clusters use different account stores (probably databases) and the process to copy data between databases isn't ready yet.

They will have to have it eventually to copy from na/eu to console server clusters. It's just not there yet. This was the first time we were given access to pts. Not everything is going to be perfect for a while
    "The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit." Morihei Ueshiba
  • indigoblades
    indigoblades
    ✭✭✭
    Auric_ESO wrote: »
    They know it's best to be able to copy your character. They haven't either developed the feature or it has issues. The made the templates as an interim solution. Yes the list of templates isn't complete.

The pts and production server clusters use different account stores (probably databases) and the process to copy data between databases isn't ready yet.

They will have to have it eventually to copy from na/eu to console server clusters. It's just not there yet. This was the first time we were given access to pts. Not everything is going to be perfect for a while

Thank You for the information and that sounds good if it is happening. At least more templates and soon is much better. Maybe i am in the dark but i havent seen any official ZOS response on more templates or other ways to do more testing on the PTS.

I was never in the closed beta testing so this is my first experience with the PTS. I do know that during my semi-open beta testing there was a beta PTS back then so they have had sometime to work on this (~ 6 months since the end of Feb). I haven't seen any Zos response for more ways to test more char configurations, so i assume the priority for this may be low. That is why i have been posting about the ability for the public to test more configurations.

My hopes are its priority is raised. whether it is thru templates, Char copies, more adv char creation options is not as important to me, i just hope something is being done to improve the state of a few minor templates now.

I assumed coping from one server to another is complex and needs to be thought out carefully. I assume no char info can be sent to the client pc in such a way that it could be hacked (to prevent cheating and modification). i know that is complex. That's why i asked those with more MMO experience than me to comment on this or at least comment enough to at least get better templates if that is all that can be done in the interim.
  • LPabon
    LPabon
    In my experience its as easy as copying and pasting a data table didn't they already offer copying your pc toon to console anyway. At least an official ZOS response would be nice.
    Like a cyclone, imperialism spins across the globe; militarism crushes peoples and sucks their blood like a vampire.
  • inf.toniceb17_ESO
    inf.toniceb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Star Trek Online have this feature and i gotta say its very useful for testing not only new content but also new builds and skills. It would actually be great to be able to see how skills would perform before spending skillpoints on them.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Being able to copy your live character to the PTS is something we'd like to add in the future, but it's going to take some time.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Mujuro
    Mujuro
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Until we're able to copy from Live to PTS, will you fix PTS templates to include max crafting skill and researched traits, as well as include crafting materials in inventory and/or personal bank? I ask because we are unable to craft and test different gear sets, and it's been abundantly clear that the ZOS QA team hasn't been testing them adequately (hence the numerous bugs relating to crafted sets and traits not working properly).
  • Alannaofmars
    I agree that we need someway to be able to test all the crafts. I don't have the time to level up characters in crafting for the pts nor do I wish to farm materials to build gear for testing only. It would also be really nice if one of the templates had ALL of the acheivements unlocked so we could test all of the colours! :smile: just couple new templates would allow much more complete testing.
  • Sasky
    Sasky
    ✭✭✭
    It would also be really nice if one of the templates had ALL of the acheivements unlocked so we could test all of the colours! :smile: just couple new templates would allow much more complete testing.

What'd be even better is if they let you preview locked colors
    Sasky (Zaniira, Daggerfall Covenant)
    Addons: AutoInvite, CyrHUD, Others
  • Zury1001ub17_ESO
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ no templates are working on PTS right now! all invalid template no matter what you choose besides the "none"