The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Nightblade - Funnel Health bug?

DivZero
DivZero
✭✭✭
Funnel Health doesn't heal the amount it should in nearly 50% of all fights in my case. Made a short video. First pack of mobs: Funnel Health hits target for around 350, i get healed for 90 per tick (expected amount, so fully ok). Second pack of mobs: Funnel health crits target, i get healed for around 30 per tick. Only swapped Ultimate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__oirohha7A
  • subecsanur
    subecsanur
    ✭✭✭
    This has actually been produced courtesy of 1.2.3. It used to be a good source of heals but now its just for DPS :(.
  • Teevesnacks
    Teevesnacks
    ✭✭✭
    I have created a thread about this for swallow souls and recently respecced to funnel health

The best way to avoid the heal reduction that I have found is to use it first and foremost when engaging combat.

If you plan for a long fight, keep tabs on how long it lasts and refresh the heal as it is calculating the affect from the last magicka based damage

Oh and I would highly recommend not taking the soul siphoner skill, from my experience this is causing more problems in that using funnel health/swallow souls first didn't help with the healing reduction

P.s This was occurring pre-1.2.3 but you probably never noticed it
    Edited by Teevesnacks on June 30, 2014 12:38PM
  • Taiminator
    Taiminator
    ✭✭✭
    Experiencing the same thing. Sometimes feel like certain dots can break it. Switching weapon bars using skill on it and switching back to use funnel health seems to always break it. Filed a bug report about it. Hope it gets acknowledged and fixed soon.
    Pact Bosmer Nightblade DPS, Tank or healer
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It seems all abilities to do with siphoning health from NPCs seems to be bugged right now, at least on OUR character's ends.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Wolfshadow777
    Wolfshadow777
    Soul Shriven
    I have tested this bug with swallow soul. This happens when any damage occurs on the mob at the same time or right before swallow soul applies its damage. The game uses that damage to calculate the heal amount instead of swallow soul's damage. Im pretty sure this isn't a broken skill but a unforeseen occurrence resulting from the design of the combat system. I sent in 2 bug reports about this a month ago. I received no reply from ZoS.
  • Soliss
    Soliss
    ✭✭✭
    This bug has been in the game for some time now. Not just in the most recent patch.
  • Mazra
    Mazra
    ✭✭✭
    Would be nice if this was fixed anytime soon.

Did some testing with Funnel Health. The healing part of the ability ticks six times and should heal for 25% of the damage done per tick, so basically the ability should heal for 150% of the damage done.

Just tested it on three deers (sorry, Bambi), using two different addons to track the healing ticks, and I got some pretty interesting results:

Deer A: I hit it for 121 damage and healed 32 health per tick.
    Deer B: I hit it for 121 damage and healed 2 health per tick.
    Deer C: I hit it for 121 damage and healed 69 health per tick.

Deer A healing: 6 x 32 health = 192 health restored ~ 160% of 121 damage.
    Deer B healing: 6 x 2 health = 12 health restored ~ 10% of 121 damage.
    Deer C healing: 6 x 69 health = 414 health restored ~ 340% of 121 damage

I have Soul Siphoner, which is why the healing on Deer A isn't 150% of the damage done.

Edit: I tested it on a third deer (Deer C), and as you can see, the amount healed goes up to 342% all of a sudden, so apparently the bug swings both ways. I'm sure, now that I've mentioned how this bug can make us too powerful, it'll get fixed.

This bug hurts with Funnel Health, because it spreads the crappy healing to two other people, but what's even worse - and this goes for all versions of the ability - is that future attacks with the spell simply reset the duration of the crappy heal instead of overwriting it.

I cannot fathom why this healing ability should be affected by snapshotting. Snapshot mechanics work in an MMO where you have damage meters, alerts, macros, and colored lamps up the wazoo; it does not work in a game like ESO. And not at all with healing.

With the bug, the silly snapshot mechanic, and a couple of unlucky blocks, I've managed to get a 0 health Funnel Health rolling on an entire group. Such value!
    Edited by Mazra on July 3, 2014 2:37PM
  • Devolus
    Devolus
    ✭✭✭
    I have tested this bug with swallow soul. This happens when any damage occurs on the mob at the same time or right before swallow soul applies its damage. The game uses that damage to calculate the heal amount instead of swallow soul's damage. Im pretty sure this isn't a broken skill but a unforeseen occurrence resulting from the design of the combat system. I sent in 2 bug reports about this a month ago. I received no reply from ZoS.

I can confirm this as I tested this theory. Opened with Funnel Health, without any active damage currently affecting the target, resulted in the correct healing done (ex. 184 damage resulted in 52 heal per tick: [Floor_1.15(184*.25)]. I have the Soul Siphoner passive which is where the 1.15 comes into play.

Then I tested by opening with Refreshing Path and then Funnel Health immediately after. My Refreshing Path hits the same enemy type (Sand Serpent in my testing )for 24 damage per tick. My healing received from Funnel Health, used while target was taking damage from Refreshing Path, resulted in 6 per tick: [Floor_1.15(24*.25)]

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ could we get a response/confirmation that this is a known bug and is being actively looked into?
    Edited by Devolus on July 6, 2014 12:13PM
    "The day I start considering people's feelings before speaking my mind is the day my efficacy as a politician comes to an end. When that day comes, just kill me outright, I beg of you."
    -Abnur Tharn
  • Devolus
    Devolus
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ Any response please? It's a pretty annoying bug, as it reduces its effectiveness. But you can also exploit this to grant higher healing than intended. Example: if you can react quickly enough after Banishing an enemy (or any ridiculously high damage ability) you can get then 25% heal off of the 2k+ damage Banish does, so you'll be getting 500+ healing per tick.

So let's say you use Silver Bolts and cast Funnel Health immediately afterwards anticipating a Banish (repeat as you want). When you actually proc Banish, lets say it deals 2,000 damage.

2000*0.25) = 500 Healing every 2 sec for 10 sec = 2500 total healing
    500*1.15 (Soul Siphoner passive) = 575 every 2 sec for 10 sec = 2875 total healing

Obviously this isn't as effective for a healing using just Silver Bolts for Banish proc, but you could spam this healing with say comboing the Assassination Ultimate with Surprise Attack, or like I mentioned any High damaging ability for increased healing. This not how this ability is supposed to work.

And for the record, I am NOT calling for a nerf. I'm calling for a fix to this ability so it works as the description says: Healing based on the damage Strife/Funnel Health/Swallow Soul inflicts, not from whatever damage may be occurring when the ability hits.
    Edited by Devolus on July 8, 2014 3:53AM
    "The day I start considering people's feelings before speaking my mind is the day my efficacy as a politician comes to an end. When that day comes, just kill me outright, I beg of you."
    -Abnur Tharn
  • D2player87
    D2player87
    ✭✭
    An example of how it can be exploited.welou3zg6drt.jpg
    Opening with a stealthed ambush for a crit damage of 19xx. Heals calculated from ambush damage when funnel health used. Heals crit for 1xxx per tick. @ZOS admins this is gamebreaking.
  • Devolus
    Devolus
    ✭✭✭
    D2player87 wrote: »
    An example of how it can be exploited.welou3zg6drt.jpg
    Opening with a stealthed ambush for a crit damage of 19xx. Heals calculated from ambush damage when funnel health used. Heals crit for 1xxx per tick. @ZOS admins this is gamebreaking.

Unrelated to the topic but:

@D2player87‌ How did you get your Scroll bonuses to apply to your addon? (I'm assuming you are using Srendarr Tracker) I am in a campaign that has some of the keep and scroll passives, but the only one that is showing is the Emperorship bonus.
    Edited by Devolus on July 8, 2014 6:20AM
    -Abnur Tharn
  • Devolus
    Devolus
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to do this but I'm going to keep tagging you two until there is a response given regarding this (as the few PMs I have sent on these forums to staff members have been completely ignored).
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ @ZOS_GinaBruno‌
    You can already see the grossly huge HoT you can achieve with this bug, so you know how underwhelming you can get this HoT as well. And as others have mentioned, if you recast while the HoT is still active, it doesn't overwrite the current, it refreshes it. Thus you can maintain that 1k per tick HoT VERY easily.
    Edited by Devolus on July 9, 2014 11:40PM
    -Abnur Tharn
  • IKilled007
    IKilled007
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dude, come on. Finally, FINALLY some bug works in our favor and you try to prioritize THAT for being fixed?
    The only substitute for victory is overkill.
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    IKilled007 wrote: »
    Dude, come on. Finally, FINALLY some bug works in our favor and you try to prioritize THAT for being fixed?
    Have you not been paying attention; they are absurdly quick at fixing "good" NB bugs - its takes them 6 weeks to fix "bad" NB bugs.

• Jarnhand
    Jarnhand
    ✭✭✭
    Well there are about 6-8 buged NB skills, and has been so for months. Does not look like they plan to fix them any time soon...