Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Backlash II in Templar/Dawn's Wrath: Does this skill work at all?

Caroloces
Caroloces
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been experimenting with skills in my High Elf Templar Build. Using Tactical Foundry Combat Add-on, I'm finding that enemies don't seem to suffer any damage when I use the Backlash II skill. Supposedly, the enemy "stores up" damage for 6 seconds (whatever that means), and then when effect ends they receive an additional 34% damage up to 756. When I'm experimenting like this I try to cast the spell in isolation from other attacks so I can determine its exact effect. I picked out an innocent guar and cast it on the poor beast. After the 6 seconds was up the guar had 100% of its health retained.
What gives on this skill?
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It only stores up damage if you and your allies actually deal some damage while it's up. If you cast that spell and then sit around looking at them, it won't do anything.
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh. Ok. So I'm not sure of the point of it, meaning if I inflict damage without using it (let's say 50 damage), that's what the enemy suffers when it's inflicted. If I cast Backlash, the enemy "stores up" that damage, and at the end of 6 seconds, suffers the damage. It seems like (if that's the case), then it might be disadvantageous to you because your damage to enemy is delayed by the spell, and the enemy will continue to wallop away at you.
    I think I must be missing something here. Is there some example in which this spell would be strategically appropriate?
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me and some templars in my guild sometimes use backlash to mark targets in PvP.
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • DigitalHype
    DigitalHype
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh. Ok. So I'm not sure of the point of it, meaning if I inflict damage without using it (let's say 50 damage), that's what the enemy suffers when it's inflicted. If I cast Backlash, the enemy "stores up" that damage, and at the end of 6 seconds, suffers the damage. It seems like (if that's the case), then it might be disadvantageous to you because your damage to enemy is delayed by the spell, and the enemy will continue to wallop away at you.
    I think I must be missing something here. Is there some example in which this spell would be strategically appropriate?

The damage you (the player) receives is returned to the enemy. Hence the name "backlash".
  • Forztr
    Forztr
    ✭✭✭✭
    The way it works is you cast it
    The enemy gets a beam of light on them
    For the next 6secs you and others damage target with whatever you got
    When the light goes out the target gets an addition hit equal to 34% of the damage inflicted while light was on.

e.g. you cast, target takes 1000 damage over 6secs, light goes out, target gets hit for an addition 340.

The damage dealt during the 6secs gets applied during the 6secs, it just you get a bonus hit at the end depending on how much you and anybody else did, the bonus damage is capped.
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, thanks, but it seems there are 2 conflicting interpretations: 1) damage u receive is reflected back to enemy. 2) damage u inflict accumulates, and then at the end of 6 secs, a 34% bonus occurs additionally.
    I'll play with this in-game and see what happens.
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interpretation 1 is completely wrong. Interpretation 2 is not an interpretation. That is how it works. You essentially mark the target for 6 seconds. Any damage it receives from any source (your damage or allied damage) is stored and it receives an additional percentage of that damage at the end.
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! I get it now.
  • RangerChad
    RangerChad
    ✭✭✭
    I really rely on the skill, it's awesome. I open up with it, use invasion (sword and board distance closer), and go to town. I use the healing morph so I get some extra health for when things get nasty, typically the mob will die when it triggers its damage.
  • DigitalHype
    DigitalHype
    ✭✭✭✭
    The damage you (the player) receives is returned to the enemy. Hence the name "backlash".

I'm wrong in the above. Nudel is correct. I got my bad information here:
    http://elderscrollsonline.info/backlash

Apologies.

• Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Apologies.

Hey, No problem. I appreciate your trying to help!
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    It works great in boss fights, too. Keep a little magicka to sustain it....
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Apologies.

Also major kudos to you for admitting your error. Not many who would do that on the internet.
  • ozgod22_eso
    ozgod22_eso
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good burst ability that can act as an execute if you time it right.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its a *** awsome ability. Especially the healing morph. Its good in 1v1's as an execute, awsome on bosses to give your team extra dps and a healing pool for melee dps, and awsome for AoE farming while standing in it, using puncturing sweep heal and repentence to keep yourself alive while getring battered. So many uses for this skill. It is the only one I use on EVERY setup.
  • Anazasi
    Anazasi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The skill is good no doubt. The only issue I ever had with it is the healing circle was never big enough nor was it a big enough heal to warrant the use. The non healing morph is best for pvp. That and dark flare will decimate a single target at range.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anazasi wrote: »
    The skill is good no doubt. The only issue I ever had with it is the healing circle was never big enough nor was it a big enough heal to warrant the use. The non healing morph is best for pvp. That and dark flare will decimate a single target at range.
    The heal is actually good enough that it will sustain you in PvE leveling as a tank, even at vr 3. And when tanking boss fights its awsome to keep it up at all times while simultaneously using restoring focus for the additional 15% healing.