The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Constant crashes/unknown error disconnects since patch 1.2.3

silent_banshee
I was just wondering if it were possible if somebody from ZOS can let me know if there is any sort of progress being made into the issue people are having with getting dropped. For me it's 'An unknown error has occurred' within a minute of logging on. I had hoped 1.2.4 would do something to ease the problems but so far no joy. Not sure if that's the usual server instability I would experience every patch day to date or if it's the same issue that's been making the game unplayable since 1.2.3.

I appreciate you guys are busy but any information at all would be greatly appreciated, and I haven't seen anything really relevant to this in the developer discussion forums etc.
  • sidekick069
    same issue here. put in many bug reports since thursday night ( at least 30). no responses yet. 1.2.4 has made it even worse for me.
  • silent_banshee
    I stopped giving bug reports after awhile since the exact same issue kept coming up and redundancy/wasted time personally drives me nuts. I've tried a few times since my original post, even downloaded software (WTFast) to improve my connection to the server. The connection did improve but it had absolutely no bearing on the game; I was still crashing despite dramatic improvements in ping etc.

It's annoying to sit here and watch the days left in my subscription dwindle.
  • ZOS_PierreL
    ZOS_PierreL
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Concerning your "unknown error", we would recommend to take a look at this article.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • silent_banshee
    Thanks for the advice! I hadn't seen that post although unfortunately i can't really play wired directly on a regular basis. I'll try those fixes.
  • CptData
    CptData
    Soul Shriven
    Not sure what cases the new random (unknown crashes) in 1.2.4, but I never had 'em before said ESO version. Whatever the dev team did, it changed something to the worse, since the current game isn't running stable at all.

ESO got admin rights, it got OpenGL, it even got tested in WinXP/SP3 mode just to be sure. No cigar, game keeps crashing between 5 and 50 minutes, entirely random. And since it's not related to my hardware but the netcode of the game, the dev team should really, really, really, really, really put some redundancy in that game. A lost packet shouldn't cause an "unknown error". It should get send again. A damaged packet shouldn't cause an "unknown error". It should get send again. And so on. Seriously, guys, netcode should never, never, never cause a game to crash under no circumstances. In worst case, it should simply disconnect to login screen. But neverever crash.

Sorry for rant, but I'm unable to play the game since last patch (1.2.4) Dunno what you did, but the game is no longer in a working condition.
  • DethDave
    DethDave
    Soul Shriven
    I was playing for hours yesterday with no issues. Your patch today broke the game for me yet again. I am really getting tired of paying money for a game I can not play. Try to port somewhere..game lags and I get disconnected. You can't blame it on my computer or internet settings since I was able to play for the past several days without one issue. Please fix your game
  • silent_banshee
    @ZOS_PierreL‌ Oh my god the fixes worked for me! Since the router isn't technically mine and installed to my roommate's PC I wasn't able to go through it and open the ports suggested by the page you linked. However I entered the lines into the command prompt, adjusted/reset my LAN settings, then made sure that both the launcher and eso.exe were both running in compatibility mode for XP SP3 and running as administrator. This seems to have corrected the unknown error problem entirely as I was able to remain logged in for quite some time. So thanks, ZOS_PierreL!

EDIT: For those others experiencing the issue, after I applied all the fixes described above, I ran ESO directly from eso.exe and skipped the launcher entirely. Not sure if this had any bearing on the fact that the game worked but I thought I should point it out.
    Edited by silent_banshee on July 1, 2014 12:46PM
  • transition36
    transition36
    ✭✭
    Same here. I have never had a problem with the game till the patch today.The game will lag then disconnected to the unknown error.Or i just get the login screen till it disconnect with the unknown error .
  • silent_banshee
    @transition36 Try the fixes ZOS_PierreL posted above, they worked for me and I didn't even have to mess with router settings or anything.
  • Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same issue here with me now. Was not even close to this bad until they updated us with the last patch. Again..who knows what they fixed. But we know what bugs they have added AGAIN! They cant seem to release a damn patch without adding new bugs or rehashing old ones. I cant understand why its so hard for them to release a new update without adding new bugs. :/
    Edited by Blade_07 on July 1, 2014 3:40PM
    “Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope.”

• markdoon
    markdoon
    Soul Shriven
    Well i have same kind of issues. When i play the casual part of the game since 1.2.3, the game often crashes, saying data couldnt load. From 1.2.4 , when in alliance war this doesnt happen, but sometimes it gets back to the loading screen for 15 sec then get me back in. And i cant see some of the ennemies around (i know cause i get hit from nowhere :p).
    Before 1.2.3 that could be laggy in alliance war but OK. In 1.2.3, i had so big lag that was just unplayable. In 1.2.4 it's better for me , though there are the issues said above.

Hope helps