The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

My Eyes!

Pele
Pele
✭✭✭✭✭
What's with the bright flashes of light after quests and other achievement points? I did not mind at first, but I'm now closing my eyes or looking away when it happens as it actually caused pain.

Has ESO embedded subliminal messages in the light or did someone actually think blinding players was a good idea?
  • RianaTheBosmer
    RianaTheBosmer
    ✭✭✭
    I can see how that would bother a lot of people. It doesn't bother me because my monitor is adjusted for the game but they need to tone that down a lot.
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go outside? Joke aside, it does not bother me and my screen. Is there not a epileptic warning etc somewhere, I think it is:p
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pele wrote: »
    What's with the bright flashes of light after quests and other achievement points? I did not mind at first, but I'm now closing my eyes or looking away when it happens as it actually caused pain.

Has ESO embedded subliminal messages in the light or did someone actually think blinding players was a good idea?

Conspiracy theories are not allowed on these forums :) /joke.

The one at Molag Bal really hurt my eyes, say no more cause of spoilers. They should prolly add in some setting to tone it down or remove it.
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    The flashes occur when you change instance and yes its annoying as hell. i quickly talk to an npc so it goes away and if there is none simply look away. In daylight it doesnt bother me much, but at night i like to play with little illumination and it can become painful.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some options that might help:
    • Check your monitor/video controls for ways to adjust screen brightness.
    • Use more ambient light near your computer to reduce the contrast.
    • Use a physical screen filter.
    • Adjust the in-game video settings such as "Bloom".

I haven't encountered anything in the game that hurt my eyes, but for those with sensitive eyes there are ways to minimize or avoid issues.
    Edited by tinythinker on May 17, 2014 12:29PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your monitor is so bright that it hurts your eyes....?
    Seriously? and you think this is something someone else needs to fix?
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • skeletorz_ESO
    skeletorz_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Censorious wrote: »

Exactly. I truly fear for the next generation.
    Edited by skeletorz_ESO on May 17, 2014 12:32PM
    “If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.” -- René Descartes
  • KariTR
    KariTR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to back up the last two posts, the issue is at your end OP (and others with the same complaint).
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bhakura wrote: »
    The flashes occur when you change instance and yes its annoying as hell. i quickly talk to an npc so it goes away and if there is none simply look away. In daylight it doesnt bother me much, but at night i like to play with little illumination and it can become painful.
    So that's what's happening. Thanks.

@tinythinker - Good tips. I'll check out the Bloom setting.

Censorious wrote: »
    Nowhere in my post did I ask anyone to fix anything. It is not my monitor as I can play the game just fine except when the flashes occur.

Dear god, I think some folks just reply to threads to fly off the hinge.

KariTR wrote: »
    I have to back up the last two posts, the issue is at your end OP (and others with the same complaint).
    Yes. I am keenly aware that the problem lies in my eyeballs' inability to withstand the bright flashes, but thank-you very much for the reminder.
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    i kinda like the effect, its like my reward crack. but as others said, try turning down some graphic options to mute glow effects, not sure if the game has the capability to do that but you can adjust your monitor contrast a bit. I dont see the devs muting the graphics unless its a trigger for epilepsy

and something else to consider.. there may be some sort of health problem you may be experiencing via your eyes (photophobia), migraines also make you sensitive to light changes and so on.

it shouldnt hurt and I hope you get relief soon
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • KariTR
    KariTR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I am keenly aware that the problem lies in my eyeballs' inability to withstand the bright flashes, but thank-you very much for the reminder.

Considering I have no idea what effect you are complaining about because my gamma is adjusted to the game and therefore I don't get this 'blinding' light you complain of, I respectfully suggest you have a word with your monitor's gamma setting.

ETA: Or you can carry on being blinded and ignore those of us pointing out the source of your issue. That certainly seems to be fashionable these days.
    Edited by KariTR on May 17, 2014 2:09PM
  • karmamule
    karmamule
    ✭✭✭
    I've never really noticed that either, but I have my contrast adjusted up and my brightness down, so nights are super dark, but days still have a vivid look to them. Perhaps that's why I haven't noticed?
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering I have no idea what effect you are complaining about because my gamma is adjusted to the game and therefore I don't get this 'blinding' light you complain of, I respectfully suggest you have a word with your monitor's gamma setting.

ETA: Or you can carry on being blinded and ignore those of us pointing out the source of your issue. That certainly seems to be fashionable these days.

*facepalm*

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach ..."
  • Wildfire7
    Wildfire7
    Soul Shriven
    Dear god, I think some folks just reply to threads to fly off the hinge.

This ^^. So much this.

I have the same issue. Lowering the gamma makes no difference, it still flashes 255/255/255 white and my wife's computer has the same issue. I opened a ticket and if a GM can help me I'll post the results.
  • Misty
    Misty
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhhhh! The dreaded sun burst of pure radioactive white light.

I know exactly what you mean. When this happen I have to look away from my screen, or else I have dots before my eye's for the rest of the day.
    Why are they trying to blind us?
  • Madval
    Madval
    ✭✭✭
    What ? There is a light flashing when we gain a level ? Where ?.. :/
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NVM, didn't spot this thread had been necroed.

@Madval the OP was complaining about the fade-to-white phase transitions.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on June 19, 2014 10:07AM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Madval wrote: »
    What ? There is a light flashing when we gain a level ? Where ?.. :/

Brief curtain of light when we gain a level, and boy do I mean brief, unless you are gaining fifty levels a second it can't hurt your eyes.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Wicked_Wolf
    Wicked_Wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    What exactly is this? I've never seen any flashy light except for when I gain a level. But, that's pretty much an instant thing that's not very blinding at all. What are you all referring to?
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks, this thread had died a well earned death a month ago, why did someone have to necro it?

/sigh
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes they are messages from our master Satan urging you to eat babies.
    Folks, this thread had died a well earned death a month ago, why did someone have to necro it?

/sigh

Ah crap. The thing is that on these forums similar threads come and go so often that I don't even bother with reading the dates anymore. If they are in the first page then I will post.
    Edited by PBpsy on June 20, 2014 10:33PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)