Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Delete Character CD

Xnemesis
Xnemesis
✭✭✭✭
I suggested this in another forum but I would be curious to see if people would like to see something like this put into the game. What I have noticed in cities like Wayrest and Coldharbor are bot trains. There is a continuous chain of lvl 3 characters with names like ksjdn spawning into these towns with prison rags. If you follow them you notice they hit a few points of interest and turn in a non combat quest for gold. They then send that gold to the bank and log out. When they log out they delete said character, and reroll a new one to complete the same quest. My idea is to put a 3 day CD timer on the Delete Character function. That way they could only create one new character every three days to abuse this form of botting. In my eyes they would just abandon this method and our cities would no longer be over run with disposable bots. This will not do anything to ease the enemy and node farming bots but it is a step in the right direction. It will still take a combination of changes and efforts to make the situation manageable. What do you guys think yes or no on a delete character 3 day cooldown? I tried to think of a fix that would leave the smallest footprint to legit players, unlike the fix they put in of just removing the quest reward, mind you they found a different quest.
Edited by Xnemesis on May 15, 2014 6:15PM

Delete Character CD 70 votes

Yes
50%
BlackhorneDarkbeerGwarokBouvinJade_Knightblazerb14_ESOXnemesisRustyBladesachimb16_ESO3Naguur86gresiacFoxhuntBlackHordedc1509Scowlergrodareb17_ESOstojekarcub18_ESORunefellAdernathGaretthWhisper292 35 votes
No
50%
Svannaletad11_ESOjhmcclellan3_ESOWhimsyDragonGilcroixGreyleafRaykoXaelBrambleTraisaKendaricHessenTarwinPiedplatSanspoofAldarennRosveenRev Riellefalcasternub18_ESORangerChad 35 votes
  • dc1509
    dc1509
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Indeed ! Delay the character removal. 3 days is totally fine.
    truth is born in disputes
  • WhimsyDragon
    WhimsyDragon
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I don't really think that this is the appropriate solution, as it penalizes legitimate players who wish to experiment with alts. Personally, I've recreated characters a number of times in a short span of time just because I'm very picky and keep tweaking their looks.
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, but on a shorter cooldown. 6 hours would be fine.
  • Xael
    Xael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    NO.
    This is a terrible idea.
    It boggles my mind how people think sometimes...

I mean let's rule out having a GM police the game and ban accounts. Let's rule out having ZOS do anything, let's nerf the gen-pop instead... brilliant.
    I got killed in pvp, nerf everything...
  • Tarwin
    Tarwin
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Xael wrote: »
    NO.
    This is a terrible idea.

I mean let's rule out having a GM police the game and ban accounts. Let's rule out having ZOS do anything, let's nerf the gen-pop instead... brilliant.

I'm going NO and agree with Xael in regards to the comment on taking the onus off of Zen by implementing something that affects the innocent paying customers. I find that unacceptable. Realisticly Zenimax could make all items bind on pickup to help, but who does that affect?

I have faith that there will be a big "wallup" soon, but the Dev's can't talk about it as it would tip off the slave drivers of these gold farms

Fingers are crossed

• Sanspoof
    Sanspoof
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No (more) nerfs and goofy restrictions as means to counter bots, please and thank you.
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    They are already removing quest rewards though. I would much rather put a CD on the delete character function then that. And tbh it would only effect people who already have 8 characters delete one and screw up on that character design and want to delete again. People's biggest complaint with this seems to be if they mess up they would want to change their appearance.... So what if they added a barbershop type feature so you could alter appearance when you want?
  • Traisa
    Traisa
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I don't think that's a good idea. I for one tend to get bored of my characters early on, and by the time I've reached level 8 or 9 I might want to try a new character on a different class/alliance with the same name I used before. If there is a 3 day wait on creating a new character that might risk someone taking my character's name. Lol
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Traisa wrote: »
    I don't think that's a good idea. I for one tend to get bored of my characters early on, and by the time I've reached level 8 or 9 I might want to try a new character on a different class/alliance with the same name I used before. If there is a 3 day wait on creating a new character that might risk someone taking my character's name. Lol

I guess you don't understand what I am suggesting then. If you use the Delete character feature you wont be able to use it again for 3 days. So this will never affect those players who still have character slots to fill. If you used them all to reserve names that's fine too. You can still delete your character and create a new one with the save name. You would just have to be sure of your choices because you could not use the delete feature again for 3 days, and if you did screw up your character will still have the name reserved so I don't undertand why you would think you would lose the name. I am not limiting character creation just the delete feature.
  • Runefell
    Runefell
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think three days might be a little much. Maybe once or twice in 24 hours. That would still be enough to help slow down the quest abuse, without affecting legit players too much.
    Rune Fell- Dunmer Mag Sorcerer (DC)~The Adventurer
    Runed Claws- Khajiit Stam Dragonknight (DC) ~The Tank
    Rain Fell- Argonian Mag Templar (EP)~ The Healer
    Dragon Talon- Bosmer Stam Nightblade (AD) ~ The DPS

• WhimsyDragon
    WhimsyDragon
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Traisa has a good point too about hanging onto names! This plan could cause all kind of damage for the real players.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even just an hour might be enough to make the bots look for some other way exploit the game. If you are as picky as I was with creating my character it is going to take longer than an hour anyway.
    In the end though the only way bots cease to be a problem is if the legitimate players quit dealing with the accounts these bots are supporting. Get aggressive reporting them and let new players know what evil $#@&s these guys really are.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Instead of a delete CD I think it would be better to have a reasonable level restriction. Maybe make it 8 levels. So for a L25 quest you need to be at least 17 to take it. If 8 isnt enough then make it 10.
  • Lucius Aquilius
    Lucius Aquilius
    Soul Shriven
    No
    Again we are looking at restricting legitimate players in order to deal with the bots. I would personally find it intrusive as I like playing around with alts and different play styles. Surely there must be a better way to deal with this?
  • lavendercat
    lavendercat
    ✭✭
    No
    im not really sure but i think on balance i would say no. i recently deleted both my nightblades and started again with a templar. it would have been annoying to have to wait to delete one of them. i wanted that feeling of a fresh start right away.

i hadnt noticed these bots. i noticed a few goldsellers in chat, which i reported, and i got a spam email. but mainly i like to make my own chat channel anyway to get a bit of peace and quiet.

its annoying to have people cheating in the game, but it doesnt really affect me so much.

but, i really like the barbershop idea. maybe just for cosmetic details. i think that would be really good :)
    hello :)
  • Milktray
    Milktray
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Do it like EVE Online .. they set theirs to 10 hours, gets rid of the GS for awhile & doesn't penalise the players.

Add in an Authenticator or something like the Coin Lock that Rift has as well, the first you can use to log in, the second locks character & bank inventory, you can't transfer from one to the other, mail etc until you unlock the account.

Since that gets sent to mail & just about everyone has their email on their mobile etc there's no need to switch to browser and check for code.
    ZoS please understand everyone thinks and pronounces things differently, so please add to your 'rules' that things get removed if the Mod doesn't actually quite understand phrasing
  • Scowler
    Scowler
    ✭✭
    Yes
    'Tis a good suggestion. May need adjustment but a brief wait period for character deletion would not unduly distress me.
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Your purpose is laudable, but the method is just plain dumb. With so many different accounts bot-runners own, this form of prevention is just nothing.
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Only if you get the feature to recover your character; this would give us prevention for accidental deletion, as well.

Also, I am in favor of 3 day or longer temporarily until the bot situation gets under control and then reducing it to 1.
    Edited by zhevon on May 19, 2014 2:56PM
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I'd vote for a 3-5 day hold on a character before deleting - I have a constant fear that I'd accidentally hit delete vs play and assume there was a new security feature (I get quite ditsy the later at night I start playing) - poof main gone by accidental stupidity.
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I voted no as once again its interfering with a non cheating players game. They need to address the cheating at the source, players gaining huge amts of gold daily and rare mats, not write in new restrictive code that affects regular players.
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    reggielee wrote: »
    I voted no as once again its interfering with a non cheating players game. They need to address the cheating at the source, players gaining huge amts of gold daily and rare mats, not write in new restrictive code that affects regular players.

I guess you didn't see that ZoS took away the quest rewards for a few different quests to combat this then... and you think my idea of a cool down on the delete feature is a bad idea because it interferes with regular players?
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Adoryn wrote: »
    Traisa has a good point too about hanging onto names! This plan could cause all kind of damage for the real players.

err if you delete a character and make a new one with that name how could you lose the name if you cant delete a character for another 3 days... Seems kind of silly when you think about it now doesn't it?
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Traisa wrote: »

Its not a wait on creating a new character. It is a cool down on the delete function. So you could delete your character and then make as many new ones as you want right away up to your max of 8. This would just prevent you from deleting again for three days.
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Xael wrote: »
    NO.
    This is a terrible idea.
    It boggles my mind how people think sometimes...

This isn't the only solution mate it is a suggestion that would allow the devs to take this one form of botting off the list. They still need a bunch of other methods to get the node farming and exp grinding bots. Plus they already nerfed the quest rewards in game which is much more damaging than this suggestion.
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Adoryn wrote: »
    I don't really think that this is the appropriate solution, as it penalizes legitimate players who wish to experiment with alts. Personally, I've recreated characters a number of times in a short span of time just because I'm very picky and keep tweaking their looks.

Only you can hit the create button. If you want to tweak your character tweak away. You also have 8 slots to tweak with until you would even be affected by this. Even then if you want to reroll your 8th slot you could by deleting and rerolling. You would just have to be sure you made the right selections for your 9th character though because that is when the Cool down for using the delete feature would come into play. By then you should be ok though because you have 7 other characters you can actually play the game with.
  • BlackHorde
    Yes
    Buy 2 Play = Active

24hrs / Delete = CRAP - Please Remove It!

Anti - Bots System = Already in Place, don't need a CD on Deleting Characters, unless they add a Shop Item that costs Crowns to allow 1 Delete for 500 - 1000 crowns, that I can handle no problem but many others can't. Removing the Limiter would also bring less drama about this forum issue.
  • SLy_Kyti
    SLy_Kyti
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wowie

Heres a reward for dredging up yet another year old post.
    :#

The dead have risen again.

Master Crafter: Almost all motifs
    GM~ Blades of Old Tamriel NA/AD
    Member~ NZAD
    Member~ Blades of Vengeance NA/AD
    -Tamriel College -Amazing Deals of Nirn-
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlackHorde wrote: »
    Buy 2 Play = Active

24hrs / Delete = CRAP - Please Remove It!

Anti - Bots System = Already in Place, don't need a CD on Deleting Characters, unless they add a Shop Item that costs Crowns to allow 1 Delete for 500 - 1000 crowns, that I can handle no problem but many others can't. Removing the Limiter would also bring less drama about this forum issue.

The CD limit IS the anti-bot system. Well, at least a very large part of it.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Way to go, necroing a thread that's almost a year old. :smiley:

Firstly, there is no "drama" about this feature that's worth speaking of. It crops up from time to time, yes, particularly from people who feel overly constricted by it, but by now the vast majority has learned both about its benefits and how to work with its limitations. No-one has been able to come up with a compelling reason why it should become necessary to remove it, and simply stating that it's "crap" certainly doesn't cut the mustard. On the contrary, with the game now being B2P, an effective way to counteract RMT wrongdoers is now needed more than ever.

Make no mistake, the deletion slot cooldown ist part and parcel of the "anti-bot" system, it does not exist independently from it. Ever since its inception, both bot and spam activity in-game has dropped below the threshold of perceptibility. Its effectivity has been an absolute blessing for the whole community of players (i.e. all of us). Individual discontent with this feature should and can be endured for the greater good of all. Until the time when it eventually gets replaced by a system which is as, or even more, effective, but less restrictive individually.
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on March 20, 2015 11:23PM