The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Finding a Group"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog post Finding a Group. We hope you found this helpful, and be sure to keep an eye on the ESO Help YouTube channel for future tips and tutorials.
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Neizir
    Neizir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone else see Veteran Rank 13-15?
    Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    I have a fancy signature.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • codybrewer78b14_ESO
    It stinks that they limit the dungeons you can group for by character level. It makes it so you can't use the tool if you are going back to complete dungeons you missed. :(
  • Saltypretzels
    Saltypretzels
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had someone ask me, "Does anyone really use that group finder thing?".

And I said "Yes! You should use it!"

It has always worked for me really well. I use it as well as advertise in general chat and my groups come together pretty fast.
    Edited by Saltypretzels on May 13, 2014 6:54PM
  • bttlsgtmajor_ESO
    bttlsgtmajor_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Neizir wrote: »
    Did anyone else see Veteran Rank 13-15?
    I did... I don't have a VR character yet, but I thought it was capped currently at VR10?

• mrindigo
    mrindigo
    Thank you for posting this tutorial. I still see people spamming zone chat in Reaper's March. Hopefully this helps them to utilize group finder.
    Edited by mrindigo on May 13, 2014 8:11PM
  • Samyaza
    Samyaza
    Soul Shriven
    My issue is that it still has the level limits 5-7, 20-24, 35-37... etc for the group dungeons. It takes away from the possibility to group...

I am a lvl 41 nightblade I am unable to complete solo Valenhelm dungeon (35-37 dungeon). I also out leveled the matching requirements. So I have to sit at the dungeon door and spam.

Sadly to say, I was able after constantly spamming to find a group... and was able to complete all but the last boss which ended up turning out to be impossible. The boss caused graphic glitches... and massive lag. The boss aoe marker was a lie it was able to attack well beyond the area displayed. Also it kept healing no matter who or what we focused on (most of the team was 41!).

Thus with these bugs, the not wanting to spam, and the lack of ease... Seriously remove the limiters.
  • clonednet
    clonednet
    Soul Shriven
    The group tool is nice but i don't use it much because the dungeons i need it for i have out leveled and now i have to look for a group in chat because the group tool is based on my level. When i started playing i didn't know i could run dungeons in other alliance areas so i missed them. Please open the group tool to include all world options that i am allowed to do - current and old. Maybe a check box to include things i have out leveled.
    Breton Sorcerer
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Wabbajack Campaign
    Level 4X
  • RingobloodtheOld
    RingobloodtheOld
    ✭✭✭
    Grouping in this game is horrible, bc of the phasing, cant grp for quests or help Low lvl guild members out, whose bright idea was this.
    Edited by RingobloodtheOld on May 14, 2014 2:09AM
    Server: NA/PC
    Holyringoblood (Altmer) Templer
    Torgrimmer (Breton) Templer
    Ringoblood (Nord) Dragonknight
    Ringobloodtheold (Dummer) Nightblade
  • drogon1
    drogon1
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL. ZOS promoting their group finder tool? I've seen it all.

Prior to max level VR content (where the majority of the playerbase remains), you don't need a group finder tool. Why? Because ZOS decided that you cannot advance your character in dungeons, and therefore removed the xp from it. Thus, you run the dungeon a SINGLE time, then start questing yet again.

For purposes of running the dungeon a SINGLE time, it's easier and more effective to ask in zone chat, which people do already because they are tired of waiting in group finder.

Why are they waiting in group finder? Because the group of players that have never run it before is fairly small, and those pre-VR are the only players using it. As for the group of players that want to run it again to help out and have fun, they are SOL, and come to the forums to complain (like me).

As an mmo'er who primarily plays the group content in the game, I cannot express clearly enough how pissed I am that I paid for 3 months without knowing this inane game mechanic. I will do my research better next time, but how can anyone expect that something so BASIC as dungeon leveling in an MMO would be impermissible in one?

Still /boggled
  • _subjectnamehere_
    _subjectnamehere_
    ✭✭✭
    How about a way to queue for dungeons at a lower level than you?

SILLY, RIGHT? WHY WOULD I WANT TO DO THAT?

Because I missed the dungeons in other alliance territories and want to get a group together so I can go back and do them.

I know...weird. It's either that or I wait until I am a super high level and solo them.
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah VR15....can I have that? Noticed the armor sets are looking a lot better as well compared to VR10. Wonder if any of that is from dyes?
  • kosac
    kosac
    ✭✭✭
    make morphing abilities switchable without respec and we dont need LFG tools... ppl prefer morph in to dps for single play and if they need switch for dungeons.. they dont switch because respec is to expesive and not comfortable... this change can bring in game more tanks..
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How about a way to queue for dungeons at a lower level than you?

SILLY, RIGHT? WHY WOULD I WANT TO DO THAT?

Because I missed the dungeons in other alliance territories and want to get a group together so I can go back and do them.

I know...weird. It's either that or I wait until I am a super high level and solo them.

Don't forget that not everyone wants a high level in group. I would honestly be not that happy if I go to a level 12 dungeon and a level 50 comes over as well. This is what guilds are for in my opinion, the Group tool should be restricted to limit griefing there.

@ ZO

great video, more please ;)
  • Loony1979
    Loony1979
    Im really wondering if all the people complaining not being able to use the tool for dungeons they outleveled know what could be the reason.
    I am one of those people who will leave when a really high toon joins the group.
    For me there is no fun in watching some high lvl play the game for me. I dont want to faceroll dungeons and contribute 2% of the dmg.
    I am glad it isnt possible to get high lvls through the group tool. You should get a guildie and 2 man the dungeon if you cant solo it and not expect game mechanics to ruin a dungeon run for people who do like playing a dungeon with on lvl characters.
  • mariannebogaardb16_ESO
    mariannebogaardb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    It would be nice to have a scaling option for lower dungeons so you can participate in them as high level but with the statts the dungeon is mend for. It would also be nice to be able to do the story quests in a group instead of ending up alone with youre group mate as an arrow. A bit of dungeon xp would be nice as well.
  • kristian.kornumprerb18_ESO
    Plz make dungeon bosses worth some XP! Most of ud would like a little incentive to play the cool dungeons many many times...

Also, plz start advocating something that needs advocating. Even my 6 y.o.niece knows how to use the grp. finder...
  • Origin
    Origin
    ✭✭✭
    wow, it looks amazing!

You can really play with your friends instead of watching them roaming on the map as small white arrows, you can have colorful nice armors and find mobs and bosses to kill in dungeons and get real loot, without tons of random players whipping clean everything in front of you. And there is no bot anywhere and nobody is worried that they will spend all the earned loot paying for the repair bills.

Can I change my subscription to play this awesome game instead? :smiley:
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would use it to do dungeons i skipped but does not work for lower level ones
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has never ever helped me find a group, even when I am the right level.
  • Origin
    Origin
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice to have a scaling option for lower dungeons so you can participate in them as high level but with the statts the dungeon is mend for. It would also be nice to be able to do the story quests in a group instead of ending up alone with youre group mate as an arrow. A bit of dungeon xp would be nice as well.

yes, dynamically scaling the content difficulty up with the number of players and automatic scaling down the player level to the zone / dungeon level could be a feasible solution for several problems in this game, including the play difficulty, invisible friends, loot drops, XP and so on.
  • sonix2003b16_ESO
    sonix2003b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    There is still a major glitch in the grouping tool once you hit the VR level: you can no longer access the last "pre VR dungeon" (Vaults of Madness), although it drops level 50 (=VR1) loot. Blue/purple level 50 items are still better than green VR1 items.

At VR1 in the LFG tool you can only select VR1-3 dungeons, which drop upto VR5 loot.

So maybe at VR1 your gear is still too weak to do the first VR dungeons and it would be nice to farm some gear from a pre VR dungeon (maybe only to get some blue/purple items to deconstruct and get upgrade mats).

Dropping VR5 loot in dungeons labeled "VR1-VR3" also seems "strange". Loot should be useable, if you do the dungeon in the labeled level range.
    Edited by sonix2003b16_ESO on May 14, 2014 6:38PM
  • christopherktomb14_ESO
    christopherktomb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    The grouping tool is too simple as it's utterly a waste of time as it has very limited options. Every time I've used it, the "searching for members" wheel never finds anyone, literally I wait 5 minutes one time and no results were ever returned. EVERYONE I know uses "LFG as it's faster and more reliable than this cheap knock-off.
  • mrkth631b16_ESO
    I used the grouping tool and selected the Damage icon and got brought in as a healer, yes I am a Sorcerer but have no healing skills, and due to this got loads of grief of the others. Will I use this again no in fact sub cancelled atm hoping for a fix, but wont hold my breath. Hope all of you have better luck.
  • curlyqloub14_ESO
    curlyqloub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    One more vote here for removing the level limiter. Or making the grouping tool more robust so you can choose ANY dungeon and separately choose your desired group member level range. I can understand lower level people not wanting some vet rank group member - I wouldn't want that either.

I am another one of many who keeps outlevelling everything b/c I like to explore a lot, and therefore can't even use the grouping tool for the zones I am in, b/c it only gives me the choice for the next level dungeons. e.g.: I'm only halfway through questing in Malabal Tor, but can only select from the Reaper's March dungeons (even though I haven't even been to Reaper's yet). I lost the grouping tool options for the Malabal Tor dungeons within the first day of questing in that zone.
    Edited by curlyqloub14_ESO on May 14, 2014 10:20PM
  • Skeletun
    Skeletun
    ✭✭
    If you want to do a low level dungeon, why not get someone else to start the group then invite you? They can que up the group for the dungeon and leave or stay. With guilds that shouldn't be a problem and if you don't want to go the guild route try asking in general/zone chat.
    I just never repeat a dungeon. Soon as I hit the minimum level to qualify me for a dungeon I complete all 3 and rarely go back. Repeat completion provides very little xp, and the loot drops aren't worth the headaches and cost associated for wipes when in a pug group.
    I'd say give dungeons quests a cool down. Once every 24 hours would allow people to go back at least once more to get another level appropriate blue item for completion and will provide people incentive to return.
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the LFG tool needs a "fix".

1. I DONT like that it throws me into a party with 1 other person to wait for 2 other people to show up.

2. It is WAY to easy for somebody to "screw up" what they are searching for IE
    I used the grouping tool and selected the Damage icon and got brought in as a healer, yes I am a Sorcerer but have no healing skills, and due to this got loads of grief of the others. Will I use this again no in fact sub cancelled atm hoping for a fix, but wont hold my breath. Hope all of you have better luck.
    They PROBABLY selected damage dealer looking for a healer.....you can search ALL DPS in a group or all tanks or all healers the tool allows you to do that. TO ME this needs to be changed which I will get to.

3. The LFG tool SHOULD have predetermined groups IE 2DPS 1Tank 1Healer. The tool SHOULD IMHO work like rifts LFG tool...

You tell it what role you want to play and what dungeon you want to play in then when its ready it tells you it found a group for you what dungeon and what role and ask you if you accept...once accepted you should then be put into the dungeon WITH the group.

As for the rest of the content the tool for the most part works fine.
  • aleister
    aleister
    ✭✭✭✭
    The grouping tools stink. I guess they are better than nothing, but in their current state they are not particularly useful and as a result are probably underutilized making them much less effective than they could be. I've never successfully found a group using the tool. Spamming zone chat is the only thing that half-way works. Even when you get a couple of players in a group they end up dropping because by he time the get into a group they are already off to something else and don't need it any longer. Several times I've had people say things like "whoops, I didn't think this actually worked" and drop from the group.

The main issue is that the search function far too specific for the low population of players in a given zone, much less a given area.
    1. Need to be able to search for a group in any, all or select parts of a zone, not just one particular location at a time
    2. Need to be able to search for a list of selected dungeons, not just one at a time
    3. Need to be able to search for dungeon groups even if my characters is a couple of levels above it. I'd like to finish all of them even if i don't get a lot of (or any) xp
    4. Same goes with group type when/if any large group content is added -- don't limit me to one or the other
    5. The one area where you do need to perform a specific search, quests, you can't
    6. The "Your Group" and "Grouping Tools" tabs need to be merged together so I can see who is in my group already and allow me to search for the needed roles
    7. It would also be nice to integrate a list of potentially eligible players in the zone and in my guild(s)
  • Syn1379
    Syn1379
    Soul Shriven
    I have only used this once, I got a group of 3 people, and we sat and waited, and waited, and waited. Then it matched us up with another tank, so we had no heals. That was the last time I used this thing, it really doesn't work, and when you do get in a group, most of them kick you if you have not been through the content before. Personally the player base seems to be a big issue, sine they refuse to group with you unless you have experience.

Personally I think the overall finder is a joke, it doesn't see people that need a group, and it takes WAY to long to find people willing to group.
    Edited by Syn1379 on May 15, 2014 9:19PM
  • Enderman_Slayer
    I'm going to throw this out there, the grouping tool is simple enough as it is, but it isn't specific enough. I want to find people who are doing what I want to do as well (ie. the quest I'm on or grind in an area where I'm at or players that are actually close to the dungeon that I want to do.) So many times I have found people on the grouping tool that aren't in the same mindset because the grouping tool doesn't allow for specifics. It would be efficient if there was a description for us to be able to more accurately find groups doing the same stuff and weed out the ones that aren't.
    Just finished my new signature......Images are not allowed in signatures. Remove them and save to keep the changes.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    clonednet wrote: »
    The group tool is nice but i don't use it much because the dungeons i need it for i have out leveled and now i have to look for a group in chat because the group tool is based on my level. When i started playing i didn't know i could run dungeons in other alliance areas so i missed them. Please open the group tool to include all world options that i am allowed to do - current and old. Maybe a check box to include things i have out leveled.
    This, make you do low level dungeons, few get angry if they get an VR8 in an level 25 dungeon.

I think many don't know, I don't use the finder much as I is in so many guilds its pretty easy to get guild runs however lots of veterans do low level dungeons they missed.

And loot for all even if out leveled, it will get more to do them for sale or disenchant.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.