The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Issue I thought of over the weekend.

• luckyjoemcb14_ESO
    luckyjoemcb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ayelids are not snow elves. the guy in dawn guard is a snow elf, or Falmer just not a twisted up one.

That said there is one Ayleid alive at this time. But as far as I know he is the only one.

I stand Corected I just read the Last king of the Ayrlids and they were the heartland high elves not snowelves. I was a bit mixed up because I was thining of the Scolar in the Blood moon expansion for morrowind that had you go look for the snowelf Barrow

Ah no worries TES lore can get kind of wonky sometimes , and I get confused alot. :smiley:
    Options
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS / ESO has tons of room for new land (zones) to add on Nirn, plus planes of Oblivion, skill lines and quest lines. I do not want to see the frame of lore to be changed at all, but it is OK to change some tiny parts of lore for game play reasons. If they add flying mounts, stupid mounts like riding bears or spiders, I will quit my sub and run away from this so very fast that it will make Flash and Superman look like that they are ruining in slow-mo speed at their top speed.

The lore did change with the factions teaming up, but they have good logic behind that lore change. I understand why ZOS did that and I can live with that changed.

Also, enchanting craft: instead of using soul stones, they are using rune stones. A small lore change that I can live with. Ten races is more enough and each one has long and deep history to who they are, why they are that way, etc. New races will not have that back ground, thus they will seem to be flat and un-interesting. I want to "know" the races, instead of them being off in la-la land with NO history or background. That is why I do not like Star Wars Lore -- to many nameless and pointless races.

Lore is king and everything else must make sure that the logic of the lore still make good sense.

I am still not a "MMO Player" I am still a single player just so happens that have real people in my game.
    Options
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zenimax has a *little* play for adding new things because TES lore can get a little convoluted. I like what they did with Vampirism, explaining away the differences in ESO's version of Vampirism with a lore book that explains there are different "strains" of the disease, and the one in-game doesn't manifest as having light sensitivity as a sickness, while allowing that others do.

However, the Dwemer's "thing" is that they are a mysterious race, long-gone, and nobody knows what happened. I mean, that is their primary THING. All capital letters.

If ESO were set post-Skyrim you could make a case for re-introducing Dwemer as a playable race, but if you introduce them in the current setting you pretty much make all the lore that comes after irrelevant. The problem with adding the Dwemer is that you'd have to reveal the secrets, and revealing the secrets of the Dwemer would spoil the best part of 'em in terms of story.

(This, by the way, is my only real lore-based complaint about ESO. It shouldn't have been set in prehistory. It should have been set post-Skyrim, in my opinion, because it gives access to all the lore and allows you more room when telling stories. You could easily transplant about 98% of the current game world into a post-Skyrim setting and it would be pretty much the same, but you wouldn't have to worry about screwing up Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim.)

I could see them finding a way to add Falmer, at some point. You could make it work as a "oh we found a pocket of survivors, even though historically they are ultimately doomed" because the Snow Elves eradication and descent into the twisted Forlorn isn't as ingrained as "the Dwemer are gone. They are kaput. They are no more. They are ex-Dwemer" status of Dwemer.
    Options
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First of all, I don't think that an MMO only grows if new playable races or classes are added.
    DAOC had so many races and classes that you just felt totally lost in the end and also wow has that issue now in my opinion.

While you have numbers, they do lack the depth and quality. For me UD´s are still the most lore driven race at wow and I love to RP with those, while Panda´s or Worgen just don't grab me at all. Maybe I am just to old for that, or its indeed the lore which is thin as air.
    When they came everyone went "ya cool", but I kept my UD char or the others from Vanilla.

Besides that, a lot is often just a mirror image of something else. We at ESO have quite a large amount of races if you ask me, ES fans will know this better than me, but what else could we theoretically get and will those be quality or just "niche races" that don't actually have anything to say in the Universe of Elder Scrolls?
    WoW had lore as well, yet the release of Kung Fu panda in some ways threw that out the window. Now, I'm in NO WAYS SUGGESTING that ESO do something as drastic as that. BUT, this is an MMO, MMO's are one of the few genres out there that is living, breathing, changing and constantly evolving i feel. This is a game that takes place long before Skyrim, and the other titles.

Future updates to ESO that I think would enhance the whole game could be,

new factions like Dark Brotherhood, Thieves guild and some dark magic cult (there is one in the ES universe or am I mistaken?). Besides that, our Chars could learn new skill lines like in the sense of housing and trading, crafting furnishings, spell crafting, sailing, taming, social skills ...

Besides that there are definitely a lot more worlds to explore than we currently have, there is a huge gap in the map. While I only played some ES games, I believe there are many more stories to be told, maybe also new NPC´s to meet and mobs to fight.

We only have 8 Char slots anyways, I really think that working with what we got Char wise is more important right now, than just adding something totally new in regards of classes or races.
    Our Chars could later specialize in something, similar to the Morph system already in place, also the marriage system could give a benefit to someone.

Like if you take an Argonian as your husband while being a Breton and you then breed a kid (would this actually work - egg or chicken theory?) ... that child might become a new playable Char, that has the skills of your husband and you and then starts a new adventure itself. Is this actually lore friendly or am I talking silly? :D
    Options
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would it ever be possible or conceivable to play as a Maomer?

Sea Elves are gorgeous.

Edit: I feel like Maomer have a lot to say in the ESO universe. They're in every Dominion land attacking, they want the coasts and they have a long history with at least the Wood and High Elves.

I think they could bring a lot of depth. Where do they come from? WHY do they want all the land? Why do they have a special connection to Sea Serpents? What is their homeland like? What is their ruler like? What is their culture beyond "I want to invade your land, and I'm good at boats."?

Who are these people, what motivates them, what sort of art do they appreciate, who are their heroes sung about in tales of old, what traits do they admire, why do they exist at all, where did they come from, how did they get to be the way they are?
    Edited by Ravinsild on May 12, 2014 4:54PM
    Options
  • Talmet
    Talmet
    ✭✭✭
    There's also the akavri (sp?)

The race that comes from another continent, the for-runners of dragon knights, the blades from skyrim, & the race that almost destroyed the dark elves right before ESO. That continent has never been shown in any TES game & the ESO dev's have stated in interviews it is a possible expansion zone....

Also, there are the other versions/races/sub-types of the khajiit that could be introduced.

hmm...that's something new for AD...the dark elves wouldn't let the akavri join them, so they'd have to go to DC....hmm...what could join the EP that is already in the lore.

OOH! I know, HIST TREES! Yes, we could play as sentient plants that somehow do things with argonians & play some role in argonians reproduction. Come on, I know there would be TONS of people who would want to play as a plant...that can't move, or wear gear, or attack...it'd be awesome!

There, three new races that are already part of lore.
    Options