Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 14
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 14, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 4:00PM EDT (20:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• EU megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236

How many levels ahead can we solo group dungeons?

PharmaChief
PharmaChief
✭✭✭
I am a 24 lvl nightblade redguard playing with weapon and shield skill and siphoning. I am thinking of doing solo Banished Cells which i missed when i was on appropriate level. You think it is possible and if not how long(in terms of leveling) should i wait?
  • class101
    class101
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is possible instead do like everyone else, idle in front of the dungeon to find a group and request in zone chat
  • misterme2011
    misterme2011
    ✭✭
    Not possible as in not allowed, or not achievable? I missed one as well and now I am 8 levels higher than the level 12 that I missed
  • PharmaChief
    PharmaChief
    ✭✭✭
    Not possible as in not allowed, or not achievable? I missed one as well and now I am 8 levels higher than the level 12 that I missed
    No he means not achievable
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I am a 24 lvl nightblade redguard playing with weapon and shield skill and siphoning. I am thinking of doing solo Banished Cells which i missed when i was on appropriate level. You think it is possible and if not how long(in terms of leveling) should i wait?

i went in FG atlvl 45 got my A** whooper
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    you can go in and give it a try but I doubt you will be able to solo it at that lvl. im in your boat, cant find a group for it now that Ive outleveled it, skipped it earlier thinking I could just go back and do it with group finder... :( now i can loiter and spam zone chat till i get a group...for a long long time or wait for fellow guildies to want to do it with me
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Alpha_Protocol
    Alpha_Protocol
    ✭✭✭
    You will have a very difficult time. The dungeons aren't like other mmo's where they become a faceroll after x number of levels.

Go to the appropriate level zone like Auridon, Glenumbra etc. and spam the zone for a group. Shouldn't take long.
  • RangerChad
    RangerChad
    ✭✭✭
    You will learn something from this game, you don't grow extremely more powerful from 1- VR10 in comparison to what other MMOs are like. If you're not careful even being 30 levels ahead of a group of mobs could get you killed. It's something I really like about this MMO, I don't feel like god mode just because I leveled up.
  • PharmaChief
    PharmaChief
    ✭✭✭
    RangerChad wrote: »
    You will learn something from this game, you don't grow extremely more powerful from 1- VR10 in comparison to what other MMOs are like. If you're not careful even being 30 levels ahead of a group of mobs could get you killed. It's something I really like about this MMO, I don't feel like god mode just because I leveled up.
    That is very true. I went in a Stormhaven public dungeon full of goblins and Ogres about 6 lvls lower than me (cant remember name) and got my a** handed to me when i fought against a group of 3 or more enemies
  • Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RangerChad wrote: »
    That is very true. I went in a Stormhaven public dungeon full of goblins and Ogres about 6 lvls lower than me (cant remember name) and got my a** handed to me when i fought against a group of 3 or more enemies

There comes a point when you are about 6 levels above the dungeon that it actually gets harder. When you outlevel the mobs to where they don't give XP, they also won't generate Ultimate. Running one of these dungeons without an Ult is very difficult.
  • bean19
    bean19
    ✭✭✭

If you want to do this, then it is possible, though probably not at your level. There are a few key factors.

This is about Understanding the Numbers:

1. Damage mitigation (armor and spell resist) do not significantly increase from levels 10 to 50 (at least not in comparison to other MMOs).

Here are some numbers from someone who tested armor by comparing the armor number and various Skeever attacks against different levels of armor:

Level 30 Skeever Vs 33 Templar

Armor / Light Attack / Heavy Attack
    560 / 70 / 123 - 15% damage mitigation
    348 / 75 / 132 - 9% damage mitigation
    279 / 77 / 135 - 6.9% damage mitigation
    0 / 82 / 143 - Base Damage (No armor)

So we don't know too much here to really analyze these numbers. What was his max HP? What are numbers for a level 32 templar vs. a level 30 skeever with the same armor? A little more data and we might actually know what these numbers mean EXACTLY and I'm sure the power-gamers who have spreadsheets already do, but I'm not one of them even if I understand their methods.

However, what we can tell by this is that 560 armor mitigated 15% of the damage of a light attack vs. a normal mob. Players report that stacking armor (heavy armor and shield and buffs, etc.) can cause this to reach the soft-cap at about 30% damage mitigation and that it caps out completely at 50% damage mitigation.

We also don't know that this is a straight percentage of damage mitigation or if armor is damage reduction. It could be that 560 armor = 12 physical damage reduction to all attacks (which would benefit higher level players with more armor). Right now, this stat that isn't given a tooltip is just a meaningless number. We know more is better, and more importantly, we know that no matter how high it is, it isn't that impressive. You want it as high as possible, but at the same time, a soft cap that starts at 30% damage mitigation will mean that even tanks won't have impressive damage mitigation from armor. Spell resist appears to work similarly.

Either way, what this means is that even people in Heavy Armor who get to the soft cap are going to get around 30% damage mitigation, which sound like a lot, but really means that they have 30% more hit points. If you have stacked your hit point stat and gone heavy armor, that might be significant to you as 30% of 2000 hit points is 600 HP. . . but then, you could add that much with light or medium armor and the right enchantments. This is the reason you see power-gamers using light or medium armor even to tank in veteran level dungeons. Armor for damage mitigation is currently less than special. If they moved the soft-cap off to starting at 50% and capping at 65%, then this would be something and tanks would be significantly tank-like. Right now, it is not a stat that does well.

TL; DR - The point is, armor and spell resistance are helpful stats always, but won't increase so much over levels as to make lower-level content easy. Lower level things can still kill you. What does increase a good deal are your base hit-points. In addition to the 15 bonus points you get for putting points in this attribute, you gain a good hunk every level. So level 12 creatures who are meant to be challenging for players with ~300 hit points are going to have a much harder time taking out someone with over 1000.

2. Offense - Okay, so damage has gone up significantly. Here is a an example of the Crystal Shards sorcerer (a high damage spell so we can see greater contrast. This is one of the most powerful normal attacks in the game).

Player level: 12
    Skill Rank: IV (not morphed)
    Player Magicka: 481
    Spell Power: 23
    Resulting Spell Damage = 132

Player level: 50
    Skill Rank: IV (not morphed)
    Player Magicka: 1225
    Spell Power: 91
    Resulting Spell Damage = 426

As you add magicka and gain spell power from levels, the power of skills increases greatly. Additionally, you are likely to have more passives and other skills to greatly increase this amount (for example, you might be using Mage's Light from the Mage Guild tree to raise your critical chance with spells significantly). This means that you deal a lot more damage at high levels than at lower ones. Higher level mobs have a great deal more HP to balance against this, but lower level ones do not. As a result, you will kill things MUCH faster.

However, it is important to note that the magicka cost for these skills is also greatly increased, so you will still have about as many casts of each skill before you run out of magicka. This means to be safe you need to kill things very quickly.

3. Conclusion - Kill things fast with AoEs and/or use ridiculous amounts of crowd control.

Levels in ESO don't make you a "god" over lower level content as in other games. Lower level things can still kill you quickly. It may take them 3 times as long, but if you are the only target, then you are getting 100% of their attention whereas you used to only get 25% in a group of 4. . . that had a healer (and if you are a healer, great, but you probably need that magicka (and cast time) to kill things and not heal yourself - plus, you don't need to be soloing these things and could do them when level appropriate to earn gear in addition to the skill point - though xp will still be terrible). This is why characters with amazing AOE abilities do VERY well in dungeons and why they are currently making dungeons not reward decent xp. Otherwise, players would either become healers or raise their destruction staff ability as quickly as possible in order to get "Impulse" unlocked. Then you'd have 3 dps with destruction staffs and a healer swarming every dungeon for faster xp than anything else in the game as well as high chances for good loot. . . especially if the dps are DKs who have the best AoE ultimate in the game and passives that have synergy with fire aoe.
  • Sleep
    Sleep
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you can solo the first group dungeon in each alliance easily at VR1. That's what I did. I was wearing light armor and using a destrction staff with a backup restoration staff at that time. Then you can try the second dungeon and maybe you can solo it too.
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    I was able to solo all public dungeons (not to be confused with solo dungeobs) up to VR5. Once I hit the VR5 public dungeon in The Rift, I found that I could do it, but it was taking far too long. I put together a group and it still took 30 minutes to clear.

Its always better to do them as a group if possible.
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vuron wrote: »
    When you outlevel the mobs to where they don't give XP, they also won't generate Ultimate. Running one of these dungeons without an Ult is very difficult.

Well this explains a lot, I did not know this and this is good information. I was wondering why the hell I don't get ultimate in group dungeon when helping friends out. But seems I have been bit too high level.

Hmm could someone shed some clarification on the actual dungeon types. As people here seem to say public dungeon but to my understanding mean group dungeon.

Group dungeon = dungeon where only your group will be also usually requires group to complete because of difficulty
    Public dungeon = where anyone in your instance can run freely and you'll see each other?
    Solo dungeon = basically same as above but just tells you that it is possible to solo?
    xxxx dungeon = Quest related, only you or your group can enter if in same phasing stage of the quest in question.

Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Syntse

Here are my definitions of the dungeons.

Quest Dungeons - Rooms or locations instanced to a single player where they battle the end boss for some quests. They are usually not represented by any map icons. There are no Skyshards in these dungeons and sometimes you will receive a skill point for completing the quest after defeating the boss.

Solo/Duo Dungeons - These are the torch icon dungeons on the maps. Enemies are usually in packs of 1-2 and sometimes 3 but never more than that. There is always a Skyshard and a final boss in these dungeons. Achievements are earned by defeating the boss; but no skill points are given. There are six of these per zone. Quests may or may exist related to the dungeons as only about half of them have quests associated with them. Multiple players can exist simultaneously in these dungeons.

Public Dungeons - These dungeons are also represented by a torch icon; but they differ from the solo/duo dungeons due to the density of mobs, usually packs of 4-6 instead of 1-2. These dungeons also contain several bosses, almost always 5 or more bosses per public dungeon. One boss is always part of a Group Challenge Achievement that will reward a skill point upon completion (although half of these dungeons are bugged in this regard. There are also two other achievements to be earned in each of these dungeons, typically one for defeating any 3 of the bosses and another for defeating all of them. There is only one Public Dungeon per zone and they also contain a Skyshard. There are always 1-2 quests associated with these dungeons. Multiple players can exist in these dungeons as well.

Group Dungeons - These are the four player Undaunted dungeons that are instanced to your group of 1-4. There is only one of these dungeons per zone and they are represented by a torch icon with a plus sign (+) next to it. These dungeons usually contain four or more very difficult bosses and the mob density can be very high, sometimes reaching 8 or more. There is always a quest associated with these dungeons which reward Undaunted skill line XP and a skill point. They do not contain a Skyshard but one can be found nearby in many cases. You can also visit the Group Dungeons in the other factions. You just need to talk to members of the Undaunted who will unlock their locations for you which you and your group can teleport to any time.
    Edited by LonePirate on May 13, 2014 1:48PM
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭
    it can be possible for Tank, Templar lvl 25 Heavy Armor magic build S&S, well boss killed me, but i manage to take half of half bosses HP down, make HP bar in to 4 pieces & take out 1 piece, then u know *** much i took out of the boss (i took as much as small as the one piece is, 3 pieces remain), just wanted to try, & i Have lvl 10 armor what i crafted with my other char, so for higher lvl silver pledge solo should be possible, it was dung in the big tree in dominion, i think the dung is called elden hollow
    Edited by Sugram22 on March 1, 2016 12:54PM
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I soloed almost all normal dungeons around lvl 30-something on magicka nb, so its possible.
    Though 4-man dungeons will always be scaled to your level, so its not possible to outlevel them unless you invite a low-level character and promote him/her to leader. Keep in mind that any 4-man dungeon has minimal level (for example, you can downscale Banished cells to lvl 12, but not Tempest Island).
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭
    I soloed almost all normal dungeons around lvl 30-something on magicka nb, so its possible.
    Though 4-man dungeons will always be scaled to your level, so its not possible to outlevel them unless you invite a low-level character and promote him/her to leader. Keep in mind that any 4-man dungeon has minimal level (for example, you can downscale Banished cells to lvl 12, but not Tempest Island).

magica NB has better survival then other classes, specially if u stack a lot of point to Quick recovery, harder for others, but vet1+ possible
    Edited by Sugram22 on March 1, 2016 6:40PM
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sugram22 wrote: »

magica NB has better survival then other classes, specially if u stack a lot of point to Quick recovery, harder for others, but vet1+ possible

Actually at vet levels its much easier on sorcs because of shield and pets, since vet mobs and bosses do way more damage and can oneshot. For pre-vet nb is better because the main spammable attack is very cheap, gives a nice self-heal, and the damage is much better than pet sorc's.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I soloed all group dungeons up to crypt of hearts(then i got bored of it) on a heavy armor orc DK starting at level 12. So it's definitely possible.

The trick was stacking health regeneration(5 piece orgnum's scales, orc racial, regen potion) and using brawler(for trash packs) and wrecking blow(for bosses).
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭

Actually at vet levels its much easier on sorcs because of shield and pets, since vet mobs and bosses do way more damage and can oneshot. For pre-vet nb is better because the main spammable attack is very cheap, gives a nice self-heal, and the damage is much better than pet sorc's.

just cause that skill u can spam is easy, that's why i said what i said

Sorc With Pets, to large horde & some get close to u & u die, but pets die first i have seen it, it more like u die cause pets die & rest of the horde get on u, 2 pets against world boss (or two) is possible, but u need to heal ur pets or they die, that means with out heal they are useless, but if u heal them the kill is slow, i can kill faster without pets with my sorc, i have 2 sorc's, that's why i don't like pet build much, so pets in this game are pretty pointless, well they can give a edge in 1 VS 1 PVP only, but other then that they are..., that's my experience with pets
    Edited by Sugram22 on March 2, 2016 1:41PM
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorc With Pets, to large horde & some get close to u & u die, but pets die first i have seen it, it more like u die cause pets die & rest of the horde get on u, 2 pets against world boss (or two) is possible, but u need to heal ur pets or they die, that means with out heal they are useless, but if u heal them the kill is slow, i can kill faster without pets with my sorc, i have 2 sorc's, that's why i don't like pet build much, so pets in this game are pretty pointless, well they can give a edge in 1 VS 1 PVP only, but other then that they are..., that's my experience with pets

You haven't seen a good Pet Build in action
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭
    Thelon wrote: »

You haven't seen a good Pet Build in action

lol, i also said that's my experience with pets, i took all passives & stuff, so u can't do any better then i have tried, & i have tried pets meany way, & pets with heal is best, but slow kill as i explained

when i said pets with heal i meant 2 pets & 3 heal skills

also in pvp i have seen meany smart ones that attack u & kill u fast, so in pvp against some1 who knows how to deal with that problem, against some1 like that pets are even more useless then in pve
    Edited by Sugram22 on March 2, 2016 4:25PM
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i took all passives & stuff, so u can't do any better then i have tried

105d17.jpg

**********Click Me for a Real Pet Build**********
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭

105d17.jpg

also my highest lvl is v10 sorc

Edited by Sugram22 on March 2, 2016 7:04PM
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

also my highest lvl is v10 sorc

105kn9.gif
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭

105d17.jpg

Force Pulse are u kidding? the other morph is more useful, even in PVE so don't start with that its for PVP, u have no idea how useful Crushing Shock is in PVE, ur saving ur pets a lot of dam with it cause as long as u spam it enemy can do heavy attacks + at times he gets stun like effect

whats FLEX?

ward only is not enough, u need heal, to heal pets, & what i so from that link wont save u in PVP (VS experienced player), nor in dungeon, i have tried all possible combos, including what u have, not force pulse, that's only thing different, pets get over powered by large horde & die fast

gear names say nothing to me, cause i have never seen them
    Edited by Sugram22 on March 2, 2016 7:07PM
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

105d17.jpg

Force Pulse are u kidding? the other morph is more useful, even in PVE so don't start with that its for PVP, u have no idea how useful Crushing Shock is in PVE, ur saving ur pets a lot of dam with it cause as long as u spam it enemy can do heavy attacks + at times he gets stun like effect

whats FLEX?

ward only is not enough, u need heal, to heal pets, & what i so from that link wont save u in PVP (VS experienced player), nor in dungeon, i have tried all possible combos, including what u have, not force pulse, that's only thing different, pets get over powered by large horde & die fast

Sooo.... When was the last time you soloed a trial boss?

Also, i hope that doesnt mean that you arent gearing.
    Edited by Shunravi on March 2, 2016 8:19PM
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭
    Shunravi wrote: »

105d17.jpg

whats FLEX?

Sooo.... When was the last time you soloed a trial boss?

Also, i hope that doesnt mean that you arent gearing.

my sorc has different gear, what i said is the names of the pieces say nothing to me cause i have never seen them, like whats the use of a for example Conjure Ward skill name to some1 who has not played sorc, cause he doesn't know what it is, same with gear, if u haven't seen it it a different story if he shows hes set like this
    Torugs_Pact.jpg
    with a image like that, i took random picture from internet as a example, i just have seen it in game so i knew what to look for

no i haven't solod group dungeon, well not finished, cause pets die & ward isn't strong enough to solo without pets neither, i mean dps build, against group u need AOE not pets (pets are slow against horde), & for pest u need heal skills, that's the best way, they stay alive longer that way, in dungeon it would take to long that way, with pets, so sorc bad for solo group dungeon, as i said i have tried meany way with pets, BDW i play with set or lvl 10 armor i feel no difference, mobs wont die faster with sets & not slower with lvl 10 armor i wont die faster neither, gear stuff is total joke, its like it doesn't effect u at all, at least not in pve, my point i would try solo group dung with sorc

its just that to lvl one thing i decided to PVE a bit in my lvl 10 training armor, that's how i know
    Edited by Sugram22 on March 2, 2016 9:47PM
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    105zf8.jpg
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭
    105zf8.jpg

oh that's to bad that u don't have any idea...