Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Several questions about Sorcerer and their Ults!

Vizjerie
Vizjerie
My apologies if this seems demanding answers but I figured since I am asking so many things, its easier for everyone if i just list them out. Thanks!

1. Are Staff light and heavy attacks consider physical or magical? Do they benefit from Magicka or Stamina? and would Medium armors Dexterity help with staff attacks critical strike chance?

2. Regarding the question above, what about when a staff's attack has been replaced with Overcharge. Does it become magic damage that scales with Magicka? Does Medium armor still effect it? if it did to begin with.

3. If Overcharge simply increases the damage of any weapon your holding by 9% and replaces it as a range bolt or close aoe. Would a Sorcerer with no Destruction Staff abilities in his/her build benefit more from Overcharge if he/she wielded a 2h weapon, as they simply have the highest damage per swing. (this of course, is under the assumption that Overcharge takes its damage from Stamina rather than Magicka).

4. When Overcharge is activated, the Sorcerer gets a new and third action bar thats exclusive to that toggle. If for example, I have an ability that is ONLY in that toggled action bar, when I turn in a quest would I get exp on that ability?

Thanks for reading! Would really appreciate any help.
  • Pyles
    Pyles
    Soul Shriven
    1. Magical i think . Heavy/light attacks of weapons are ALL stamina/weapon damage. For staves they use spell crit though. So would not benefit from medium armor/weapon crit. Light armor for spell crit. The active skills for staves are all magicka/spell damage/spell crit based.

2. I believe Overload, while weilding any weapon becomes a spell damage/magicka scaled attack using spell crit. No to the medium per above.

3. I'm fairly sure Overload uses spell damage as its base. When its morphed it gains 9% over the base Overload for both morphs. If my theory was correct Overload damage with a 2h would be quite low, since the spell damage would be derived by magicka and the skill rank alone (no staff). Guessing on that point though.

4. You would gain skill experience in which ever skills you have active at the time of xp gain.
    Edited by Pyles on May 7, 2014 8:10PM
  • Vizjerie
    Vizjerie
    Pyles wrote: »
    1. Magical i think . Heavy/light attacks of weapons are all stamina/weapon damage. For staves they use spell crit though. So would not benefit from medium armor/weapon crit. Light armor for spell crit. The active skills for staves are all magicka/spell damage/spell crit based.

2. I believe Overload, while weilding any weapon becomes a spell damage/magicka scaled attack using spell crit. No to the medium per above.

3. I'm fairly sure Overload uses spell damage as its base. When its morphed it gains 9% over the base Overload for both morphs. If my theory was correct Overload damage with a 2h would be quite low, since the spell damage would be derived by magicka and the skill rank alone (no staff). Guessing on that point though.

4. You would gain skill experience in which ever skills you have active at the time of xp gain.

Thank you!!

2 follow up questions,

1. If the Overload ability utilizes the staff's damage as its base, does the Destruction Staff tree's passives apply to each attack with Overload while wielding a staff?

2. Is Overload Magic damage or Shock?
  • Nukeyak
    Nukeyak
    ✭✭
    I'd like to know if overcharge indeed works much worse with a 2h weapon vs with a staff. Any insights on this or overcharge in general would be helpful.
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pyles wrote: »
    1. Magical i think . Heavy/light attacks of weapons are all stamina/weapon damage. For staves they use spell crit though. So would not benefit from medium armor/weapon crit. Light armor for spell crit. The active skills for staves are all magicka/spell damage/spell crit based.

1. All correct except that weapon damage affects staff active abilities, not spell damage.
    2. Yup
    3. Spell damage in character sheet increases with a staff equipped compared to a melee weapon? I do not believe this is true. Spell damage is level based outside of some jewelry enchants.
    4. Correctamundo
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Pyles
    Pyles
    Soul Shriven
    Cheers for the clarification even if point 1 was what i said. Added some accent/bold to my post above to clarify.

Yeah on testing #3 i was wrong on. Equipping a staff adds to weapon damage like all other weapons.

So.. Ignore my theory of weapon choice affecting Overload damage - it does not matter.

As for passives triggered i'd have to test it more.
    Edited by Pyles on May 7, 2014 8:27PM