The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

vet dungeons utterly overtuned?

• Asava
    Asava
    ✭✭✭
    Now that I'm VR5 I've noticed that the VR1-5 (Tier 1) dungeons are not that hard. Now this is because of two issues that I can see. One is that my con level has gone up since most trash is VR4 and bosses are VR5, even con to me. Two, my gear has gotten better. Instead of rolling into the dungeon in all VR1 gear now I'm wearing VR4-5 gear. Those two changes made pug groups quit a bit less painful. Also knowing the mechanics of the boss fights helped tremendously as well. Running with people that know the encounters means that you can get undaunted and speed run achievements done. Those that don't know them have a learning curve to get past. Though once they get the mechanics it shouldn't be too hard for them. The only thing left for them to do is optimize their builds for group encounters instead of solo questing mode.
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went through my first vet dungeon the other day, 2 other guildies with me and one guy from esohead (apparently). Two night blades, one sorcerer and one Templar. Our pub was vet 3 night blade tank (was really impressive player), our Templar was vet 2 healer and myself and sorcerer were vet 1 players dps. Went through banished cells (apparently easier of the dungeons available) and we had an interesting run. Our toughest fight was definitely the first boss and getting around his permanent ground fire. After about 4-5 wipes we got it down though and moved on. Next boss we picked up the pace a bit and only got wiped 1-2 times. The last boss with his bugged bubbles insta-killing people was a bit tougher. If our tank got insta-gibbed we pretty much re-rolled the fight (or tried rezing). We probably got wiped 7-8 times but got it at the end.

I think the key to our success was competent, level-headed players. Our challenges were definitely bugs and a few of us (myself included) never having run through vet banished cells, so we were not knowing what to expect on the bosses. Our pub was great though, no arguing and we coordinated well, was very pleased for my first vet dungeon.

My biggest disappointment was loot - for the time vested in running the dungeon I got garbage items, and most of them were VR5 white gear or VR5 blue rings. Really game? Such a waste of time, I can get better gear from running around VR1 killing mobs. Such a slap to the face to get VR5 gear period when I'm VR1, they need to sort out the huge differences between VR1 and VR10 - this isn't level 1 - 10 difference, it's like level 1 - 1,000 difference.

Overall dungeon experience was good (especially from all the complaining I hear) but the loot was trash. I can see why they'd be hard though if you roll the dice of fate and get grouped with 3 people who don't know what they're doing, don't communicate or don't work well together.

Most of the time we were laughing when I got one shot by regular mobs, super funny
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • doggie
    doggie
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Spindlecluthc today with a random group, almost did the second boss. Got him to well below 5%.

combatlog_zpsfb33da59.jpg

If I'm doing 350 dps as TANK then the dps can hardly be doing 100 each if we add a 100 on healer too.
  • Malirkeit
    Malirkeit
    Soul Shriven
    I just wanted to say, for the record, that when my group would wipe endlessly on these first VR dungeons, I didn't think, "Man, these dungeons need to be toned down!". But instead I thought, "Man, I must really need to rethink my current spec". And that is what I did. I thought about what my spec was missing that would make me a better tank as far as staying alive as well as what I could do to help my team stay alive.

Spent several hours leveling up new skills and hopped back in the dungeons the next day and we were successful throughout all of them. No one else changed their specs or gained levels in that time. We improved so much just from my spec changing, that I can't imagine how much easier it would be if the other three in my party were to do the same. After that we were able to do all three of the first tier of VR dungeons without any wipes.

Games are meant to be a challenge, that is why we play them. It is up to you how you react to what the game is dishing out at you, and to adjust accordingly. You can't expect to just complain because you aren't succeeding, and have everything made easier so you don't have to put in some level of effort.
    US - VR9 Aldmeri Dominion Imperial Dragonknight
  • rhubbert_ESO
    rhubbert_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Practice makes perfect. My biggest advice is have a templar healer.
    Iris Umbra// Stamina Nightblade // Aldmeri Dominion
  • Malirkeit
    Malirkeit
    Soul Shriven
    Practice makes perfect.

I couldn't agree with you more!
    My biggest advice is have a templar healer.

I couldn't disagree with you more! Its weird how between your two sentences I could have such conflicting thoughts...

My group runs with a Nightblade healer and she does a fantastic job of keeping us healed up as well as dealing a little damage and helps with CC.

It doesn't matter what class your healer is, as long as you have one. After that it really is just about practice. Once you learn when to block, when to run into or out of a mechanic, etc the bosses become easy.
    Edited by Malirkeit on May 13, 2014 5:52PM
    US - VR9 Aldmeri Dominion Imperial Dragonknight
  • Asava
    Asava
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest problem that I see is that people don't group enough to know what their role is supposed to be. Last night I had a healer that kept forgetting to heal for example.
    Edited by Asava on May 13, 2014 10:46PM
  • Xanxarib16_ESO
    hehe learn when to block that's some nice trolling ... you dont need to learn anything just hold block down and you are a godlike tank, be like a turtle and just use instant cast abilities, and everyone will call you the best tank ever its that easy :wink:
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find a group of people that know their role and spec well

Learn the fight mechanics

Get decent gear

Run the easy dungeons first (BC is a joke, in all honesty), then SC, then FG.
    FG requires a fair amount of paying attention to the fights but if you can get past the second boss, you should be fine.
    In SC, you may need to skip the gargoyle boss if your dps is too low, but the rest of it is pretty easy.
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hehe learn when to block that's some nice trolling ... you dont need to learn anything just hold block down and you are a godlike tank, be like a turtle and just use instant cast abilities, and everyone will call you the best tank ever its that easy :wink:

perfect example of 'doing it wrong'
  • Xanxarib16_ESO

perfect example of 'doing it wrong'

thats funny for what's wrong abourt it name one thing that makes not blocking better??? and if you say to get out of red's you can even just stand on those and still nor die. and should maybe only be an exception but then again follow boss mechanic and hold block, best tank ever!

so please enlighten me if im so wrong with turtle tanking! :wink: