Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

World Skill - Necromancy?

Adamargo
Adamargo
I've been thinking on how Necromancy could potentially be added to ESO, and adding it to the World Skill line might make the most sense.

World skill - Necromancy:
This would be an exclusive skill line and you wouldnt be able to have Vampirism or Lycanthropy as a Necromancer. Just as Werewolves and Vampires are a bit taboo in Tamriel, so is Necromancy.

Ultimate: Raise the Dead
Would raise anywhere from 1-3 skeletal minons from the ground to fight along side you depending on how much ultimate you have built up.

Ability 1: Decay
Would be an AoE+DoT (poison damage) you would place on the ground. AoE+DoT would also apply a snare and weaken armor.

Ability 2: Bone Armor
Would be a self target skill that would increase armor for a few seconds and explode when the duration ends.

Passives 2/2:
1) Additional skeletal minon per passive point spent for Raise the Dead.
2) Inceased Magicka + Health regeneration.
3) Resistance to disease and or poison.
4) Gain additional ultimate per resource spent.
5) Summon a skeletal horse mount with reduced speed/stamina/no storage stats.
6) Once a week ability to initiate other players into Necromancy.

This is just me having some fun in seeing how I and others would build a Necromancy world skill line so feel free to comment on what you would add or change and if Necromancy is something that would add to ESO.

Edited by Adamargo on May 3, 2014 6:03PM
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that Necromancy should be somewhere in the skill lines - even better, maybe as part of a class, or a class all by it self.
    I think it would be great with some more classes in general, and there probably will be more added further down the road.

I reall like how you've given it some proper thought, it really looks like something that could be made possible :wink:
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • Xarko
    Xarko
    ✭✭✭
    It would be cool to see a necromancy line + I agree it should be a "world" line.

I would make skeleton a base skill tho. Morphs would be somethig like a) 2 skeletons b) bone golem/flesh atronach.

Ulti would be corpse explosion - aoe dmg and posion dot in the area+snare. Targeted on dead enemy or your summoned creature.

Rest of your suggestions I like, except skeletal horse. I know we had em in skyrim and what not, but I dont really want to see those in ESO.

Also, Im curious when someone come up with an idea for some "good guys" skill line, so far its only monsters and badguy suggestions ;)
    Edited by Xarko on May 3, 2014 10:38PM
  • ArgonianAssassin
    ArgonianAssassin
    ✭✭✭✭
    My idea from another thread. Also: Why shouldn't a vampire be able to be a Necromancer? Or a werewolf? Vampires always have Thralls around them, and haven't you fought Faolchu?

What I imagine is this:
    Skill 1: Raise Dead: You raise a nearby corpse to fight by your side for 1 minute.
    Morph 1: Risen Squad: You raise multiple nearby corpses, maximum of 3 to fight by your side for 1 minute, risen allies deal 15% reduced damage but enemies are more likely to attack risen allies than you.
    Morph 2: Undying Presence, you raise a nearby corpse to fight by your side for 5 minutes, risen ally increases your damage by 5% for every minute it is active, risen ally explodes on death increasing damage taken by nearby enemies for 4 seconds, activating the ability again sacrifices your Thrall triggering the above effect.

Skill 2: Death's Grip: The dead are risen beneath your enemies feet, grasping their ankles, immobilizing them for 5 seconds. (I imagine an animation of hands popping up out of the ground, holding your target down for the duration of the ability)
    Morph 1: Angry Dead: The dead rise up from beneath your enemy, holding them down immobilizing them for 5 seconds, affected enemies take poison damage for every 0.5 seconds the effect is active.
    Morph 2: Death's Cold Embrace: All enemies within a certain radius are immobilized by the dead for 5 seconds, enemies within the circle take increased frost damage for 10 seconds and are snared 50% for 4 seconds after the effect ends.

For the Ultimate I imagine Lich Form, but I don't know how to make that cool, and good at the same time without making it OP, but what I was writing down involved making all your attacks deal bonus frost damage and causing snares.
    Morph 1, while under the affects of Lich Form, any enemy you strike a killing blow against is instantly raised into your unholy army increasing your time in lich form by 10 seconds and increasing your damage by 100% for 4 seconds.
    Morph 2, You leave behind you a trail of frost, snaring any enemy who walks in it, for every second in the frost path the snare increases by 30%, starting at 30% snare, 1 second 60%, 2 seconds, 90%, 3 seconds, immobilized for 5 seconds, after the affect ends, enemy takes increased frost damage for 4 seconds.

While in Lich Form all active skills are granted the shatter effect, when an enemy is below 25% health and is snared by one of your frost spells target takes 300% increased frost damage. Also lich form turns you undead for the duration of the spell.

And then Similar to how you can only be a werewolf OR vampire, you can only be a Necromancer OR Dawnguard.
    Edited by ArgonianAssassin on May 4, 2014 12:10AM
    "It is okay to fear the night, even the bravest warriors are filled with fright, at the sight of the might of Sithis' fang, let the blood be washed away by the rain, let the stains forever remain, another life taken in Sithis' name, another soul for the void. All hail our Dread Father and his consort, the Night Mother." -Stalks-His-Prey
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel the necromancer should be an actual class whereas the lich skill line should be a world skill line. You can be a vampire necromancer nightblade, or something, but having to choose between a lich / vampire / werewolf seems to be a bit more logical (you can't be one and either of the others at the same time).
    Furthermore what are the drawbacks of being a necromancer if it's a world skill? At least with the lich you're considered undead so the fighter's guild skills deal more damage and whatnot. A secondary debuff can be reduced healing from sources or something.
    All in all I don't think the necromancer skill like should be world and it would make a much better class.. one tree for frost damage another for disease / poison DoTs and the final one for minion summoning.
    Edited by The_Sadist on May 4, 2014 12:45AM
    "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." ― Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
    Tragrim - How do I work this thing?
    Casually stalking the forums
  • Oronell
    Oronell
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting if Lich were a world skill. Imagine if Lich character's suffered from varying degrees of decomposition in stages, this would require the gathering skin from their humanoid kills and the use of the clothing skill line to make disguises out of the human skins. Without a disguise they are kill on sight by all npc guards. Really creepy and it won't be a skill I'll ever take but would be interesting to see others doing it I guess. For those wannabe Buffalo Bill's out there.
    Edited by Oronell on May 5, 2014 5:01PM
  • trooperrabbit_ESO
    My idea from another thread. Also: Why shouldn't a vampire be able to be a Necromancer? Or a werewolf? Vampires always have Thralls around them, and haven't you fought Faolchu?

What I imagine is this:
    Skill 1: Raise Dead: You raise a nearby corpse to fight by your side for 1 minute.
    Morph 1: Risen Squad: You raise multiple nearby corpses, maximum of 3 to fight by your side for 1 minute, risen allies deal 15% reduced damage but enemies are more likely to attack risen allies than you. (Army of the Dead, complete with threat)
    Morph 2: Undying Presence, you raise a nearby corpse to fight by your side for 5 minutes, risen ally increases your damage by 5% for every minute it is active, risen ally explodes on death increasing damage taken by nearby enemies for 4 seconds, activating the ability again sacrifices your Thrall triggering the above effect.

Skill 2: Death's Grip: The dead are risen beneath your enemies feet, grasping their ankles, immobilizing them for 5 seconds. (I imagine an animation of hands popping up out of the ground, holding your target down for the duration of the ability)
    Morph 1: Angry Dead: The dead rise up from beneath your enemy, holding them down immobilizing them for 5 seconds, affected enemies take poison damage for every 0.5 seconds the effect is active.
    Morph 2: Death's Cold Embrace: All enemies within a certain radius are immobilized by the dead for 5 seconds, enemies within the circle take increased frost damage for 10 seconds and are snared 50% for 4 seconds after the effect ends.

For the Ultimate I imagine Lich Form
    all your attacks deal bonus frost damage and causing snares.
    Morph 1, while under the affects of Lich Form, any enemy you strike a killing blow against is instantly raised into your unholy army [of the dead] increasing your time in lich form by 10 seconds and increasing your damage by 100% for 4 seconds.
    Morph 2, You leave behind you a trail [path] of frost, snaring any enemy who walks in it...

While in Lich Form all active skills are granted the shatter effect, when an enemy is below 25% health and is snared by one of your frost spells target takes 300% increased frost damage. Also lich form turns you undead for the duration of the spell.

So, a Death Knight. (I like how you even capitalized "Thrall".)
    Adamargo wrote: »

Ultimate: Raise the Dead
    Would raise anywhere from 1-3 skeletal minons from the ground to fight along side you depending on how much ultimate you have built up. [Army of the Dead]

Ability 1: Decay
    Would be an AoE+DoT (poison damage) you would place on the ground. AoE+DoT would also apply a snare and weaken armor. [Death and Decay]

Ability 2: Bone Armor
    Would be a self target skill that would increase armor for a few seconds and explode when the duration ends.

Passives 2/2:
    4) Gain additional ultimate per resource spent. (Runic?)
    5) Summon a skeletal horse mount with reduced speed/stamina/no storage stats. (OH COME ON!)

(Pls no).

Edited by trooperrabbit_ESO on May 5, 2014 9:05PM
  • WillFey
    WillFey
    I feel you watered it down too much
    if i'm a necromancer (literally a death master) why can I only reanimate with ultimate?

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/107052/necromancer-class-idea#latest
  • Drachdhar
    Drachdhar
    ✭✭✭
    Would love a necromancer class or skill line... Dont agree with all the abilities necessarily though. And surely not with the exclusivity of it, vampire necros are pretty common.
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oronell wrote: »
    It would be interesting if Lich were a world skill. Imagine if Lich character's suffered from varying degrees of decomposition in stages, this would require the gathering skin from their humanoid kills and the use of the clothing skill line to make disguises out of the human skins. Without a disguise they are kill on sight by all npc guards. Really creepy and it won't be a skill I'll ever take but would be interesting to see others doing it I guess. For those wannabe Buffalo Bill's out there.

If you are interested, then please go here and check out a concept we have been working on

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/95491/lich-concept/p1
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really do not care if it is a class or world tree or whatever. And there is no need for there to be a draw back for all world tree options, The sub-races yes, but soul magic has no draw backs, so why should another magic school. If I were to add a non-class Necromancy skill tree, it would be under the world tree and just be a set of necro themed skills and passives. It would not be a sub-race so i would not need to add draw backs.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, Necromancy is still a acceptable line of magick in this time period. Its only later on in the 3rd and 4th era that the practice of necromancy is no longer accepted via the Mages Guild.
  • dr_zed
    dr_zed
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea but you forgot about the weaknesses. You can't add a world skill line without adding some weakness.

I suggest:
    . +50% damage received from cold type damage.
    . -8 mana and stamina regeneration per necromancer skill equiped (if you have one it would be just -8 mana and stam regen, If you have 3 equiped it's -24 mana and stam regen)
    . Skill tracker makes the fighter's guild skills to also affect necros.
    Edited by dr_zed on June 7, 2014 6:59AM
  • Oronell
    Oronell
    ✭✭✭
    Think I'm with @The_Sadist. Necromancy as a class skill and Lich as a World skill. Gives players more options i.e. Death Knights or even "Dragon Priests" (i.e. a Dragonknight Lich) and Vampires that can raise the dead. Again not necessarily my thing but I support it because its interesting and would make the game more dynamic.
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree with the others saying Necromancy should be a new class.

Ideally, I'd prefer necromancy tied with a pure Daedric summoner skill-tree both thrown into one summoner class. With this general "summoner"(or whatever name ZOS wants to call it) class, you can either focus on necromancy or Daedric conjurer. Or, you can mix and match and be both. you know, "play how you want" and all that jazz. The third skill line can focus on offensive. The two summon lines will be well... summoning + CC with their theme.
    Edited by Lord_Hev on June 7, 2014 4:51PM
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, Necromancy is still a acceptable line of magick in this time period. Its only later on in the 3rd and 4th era that the practice of necromancy is no longer accepted via the Mages Guild.

Speaking lore wise. You are wrong.

Necromancy is banned in the Mage's Guild and outlawed in most provinces in this time period. It will not be accepted until after Vanus is dead and no longer in charge of the guild. It will then be legal up until the late 3rd era. When Traven will ban it from the guild again ( this only means it is not allowed in the guild however and is still a legal practice in Cyrodiil.) However afterwords, the guild will dissolve and it stops being illegal in most provinces.
    Edited by Tessitura on June 9, 2014 9:07PM
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are vampire npcs that are also necromancers, so i dont think necromancer skill line should lock either vampire or ww out. It would be better as a guild skill line. Necromancy is after all just another form of magic, just shunned in the current era. In the single player games, speaking more on skyrim tearms since its more recent and you couldnt really be charged with crimes of necromancy, while you cant be ww and vamp at the same you could still practice necromncy on either and i think they should stick to that should the add necromancy at some point.
    Edited by demonlkojipub19_ESO on June 18, 2014 8:52AM