Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

[Shadowy Disguise] Used while holding a charged bow attack

Lucani
Lucani
Soul Shriven
I'm just wondering, I've been messing around with NB with a bow, shadow abilities and few siphoning skills here and there. I've noticed that when you charge a bow attack, then use Shadowy Disguise (While holding the Bow attack) the shot fires off, my question is, does anyone know if this adds the 70% crit chance to that held shot, and does it deal the full charged power of the bow attack? Apologies if this doesn't make sense, if you need me to clarify please let me know.
  • Rasha
    Rasha
    I know exactly what you're talking about. Interestingly, any instant/near instant cast ability will do the same thing. I would also like clarification if this is supposed to work or not. For me, sometimes it seems to; other times, not so much
    "Only in the darkness may the light be known, just as only the truly mad can ever be sane. So come Mortals, Demons and Gods, dance with me, and know the madness within!"
    ~self quote
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lucani wrote: »
    ...does anyone know if this adds the 70% crit chance to that held shot, and does it deal the full charged power of the bow attack? ...

My Shadowy Disguise has 100% crit chance added to it.
    If I fully charge my bow, then use shadowy disguise, it will release the shot and I have never seen it not crit. It also immediately cancels the stealth; it is good for ensuring a crit but it burns a lot of magicka.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • steve_skippy_lloyd_ESO
    Best way to crit is simply use marked target, crouch stealth, and snipe. The Shadowy Disguise crit varies or damage meter I use doesn't show it. That is, you open up with Ambush follow it with Veiled Strike does insane opening damage, then hit Shadowy Disguise, Marked Target, Impale can produce a nice crit.

That said, using it with bow does not seem to work, even if you use a Normal to Light attack. And even in Melee it doesn't seem to register 100% of the time as the tool tips says, lucky to register a crit 5% of the time.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Best way to crit is simply use marked target, crouch stealth, and snipe. The Shadowy Disguise crit varies or damage meter I use doesn't show it. That is, you open up with Ambush follow it with Veiled Strike does insane opening damage, then hit Shadowy Disguise, Marked Target, Impale can produce a nice crit.

In all of my testing, I have never been able to make Impale crit under any circumstances.
    I've put in a /bug report about it being broken and unable to crit.

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
  • steve_skippy_lloyd_ESO
    Target has to be below 30% to see significant damage, to even do any decent damage at all really. The highest and rarest crit I have seen was 640 blue (magic) damage in PvP. By rare I mean I have maybe seen a crit with Impale after any combo at all with low hit points, 2 times out of 1000+ uses in PvE and PvP.

The only crits I can see and produce on a constant basis is with bow, and not even using any NB abilities. It is produced from 5 pieces of medium armor and snipe shot. Pretty much if you want to crit something don't bother using NB abilities at all, the definitely do not do what they say.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Target has to be below 30% to see significant damage, to even do any decent damage at all really. The highest and rarest crit I have seen was 640 blue (magic) damage in PvP. By rare I mean I have maybe seen a crit with Impale after any combo at all with low hit points, 2 times out of 1000+ uses in PvE and PvP.

The damage increases when the target is below 30% health due to the execution bonus, but the skill still does not crit.
    I did my tests with over 40% Spell Crit and 69% weapon crit; Impale was the only skill on my bars I could not produce any crits with at all.

• Lucani
    Lucani
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you for the feedback :smile: I've yet to unlock Marked Target but looks like it may be worthy of a skill slot at least.
    Best way to crit is simply use marked target, crouch stealth, and snipe.
    I gave Snipe a try but it only really seems to be an opener then the slot is wasted for the rest of the fight, maybe I'm not using it correctly but the cast-time and damage caused could be replaced by a more versatile skill. (I made a post about my opinion and experience of Snipe and got some nice feedback - http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/776028#Comment_776028).
    That is, you open up with Ambush follow it with Veiled Strike does insane opening damage, then hit Shadowy Disguise, Marked Target, Impale can produce a nice crit.
    When you use Ambush and Veiled Strike, does the Ambush add the stealth effect of Veiled Strike? (Does it's red effect even class as stealth? :neutral_face:) or is it purely for the opening damage? There does seem to be a lot of NB skills that don't achieve what the tooltip says, I hope these get fixed soon as they will lead to more accurate testing and possibly some more interesting builds.

As far as Impale goes, it does poor damage to anything over the 20-30% mark and I've never seen anything to indicate a critical hit! (Though I'm not using any add-ons to say otherwise).
    Samadhi wrote: »
    My Shadowy Disguise has 100% crit chance added to it.
    If I fully charge my bow, then use shadowy disguise, it will release the shot and I have never seen it not crit. It also immediately cancels the stealth; it is good for ensuring a crit but it burns a lot of magicka.
    I agree it does burn a lot of Magicka, its a nice finisher on mobs with a bit of health left in dungeons. and handy to make standard mobs targeting you to stop in their tracks while they notice you just disappeared and reappeared.

Edited by Lucani on May 4, 2014 9:11AM
  • Zabus
    Zabus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully shadowy disguise gets fixed in an upcoming patch. It really sucks that it doesn't guarantee a crit like it's supposed to..
    Zavus - Khajiit Nightblade EP | AR 50
    Zāv - Imperial Templar | AR 24
    Zavbags - Argonian Nightblade EP | AR 19
    Zabus - Redguard Nightblade DC | AR 13
    Negate Three - Breton Sorcerer EP | AR 19