Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Class choice dilemma!

Clarebear
Clarebear
✭✭
Ok I have been playing around some with all 4 classes none past level 9 yet they all have pluses and minuses that I like. I am wondering what class people think has the most versatility via class skills…I mean they are all versatile but some seem more close range focused like a Dragonknight while a Sorcerer has more range but lacks and decent heal….

Do any of the classes have an easier time doing multiple builds for multiple rolls over any other. Also if I want to DPS at Vetran ranks is any class more likely taken than others? Forgot to mention I like in groups to play ranged but Solo I like to mix it up from range and get up close. Generally like 2 hand weapons and Bows but also like magic.
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBH I think you can make just about any build work if you are looking for what makes you happy. If you are looking to min/max things some classes do have some specific synergies to consider.
      DK
      • DPS, Tank
      • best fire based class
      • great/"best" class AoE,
      • "best" AoE CC
      • Chain ability (anti ranged pull)
      • 1 of 2 classes with ultimate reduction abilitiy
      Templar
      • Very versatile- DPS,Heals (STA and HP), Tank
      • some fire, mostly magic based
      • More heals than any other class,
      • "best" of the 2 classes with external heals.
      • gap closer abilitiy
      • arguably best burst DPS
      • inexpensive AoE ultimate
      Sorcerer
      • Very versatile - DPS,CC,Pets
      • Some Shock/lightning, rest Magic based damage
      • 1 of 2 classes with ultimate reduction ability
      • Best magic reductions/magicka management.
      • Best class mobility
      • Great Dps.
      • Only pet class
      NB
      • DPS, Heal
      • only other class with external heals beside Templar
      • Only class with in combat stealth
      • bonuses to damage while stealth/behind
      • lots of stun abilities
      • inexpensive single target ultimates

I don't know as much about DK and NB so please add anything I missed...
      VR2 Ataxia - [NA] Veteran Dominion Sorcerer [Auriel's Bow]
      PvP, PvE, Crafting, and General Shenanigans
      >:) Sorcery and Mayhem online since 1999 >:)
      Current PvP Class/Supernatural Census
    • xande93
      xande93
      To be honest, there's little reason why you can't just mix and match - for example, a sorcerer can use a bow or a destruction staff with ranged magic skills to back them up or if you prefer getting in close you can equip daggers or a sword and use defensive skills like mage armour. It's entirely up to you how you play each class, the class abilities only play as much of a role in your playstyle as you would want them to. I wouldn't say that any one class is more versatile than the next, you can make pretty much anything work.
    • MorHawk
      MorHawk
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Short, oversimplified (and fairly subjective) answer - sorc's the most versatile class, closely followed by DK.
      Observant wrote: »
      I can count to potato.
      another topic that cant see past its own farts.
      WWJLHD?
    • 7788b14_ESO
      7788b14_ESO
      ✭✭✭
      MorHawk wrote: »
      Short, oversimplified (and fairly subjective) answer - sorc's the most versatile class, closely followed by DK.

Agreed
    • NovaMarx
      NovaMarx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      MorHawk wrote: »

Agreed

Double agreed.

My main is DK, but I am starting to prefer Sorc as it as more possibilities - for example focusing solely on mage skills, or my personal favorite: a battlemage.
      "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
      - M'aiq the Liar
    • Stx
      Stx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      If you are talking about just questing pre-50, then any class can do anything really. But for veteran content and competitive pvp, certain classes like Nightblade are forced into only a few niche roles to remain viable. If you are looking for a versatile class I would recommend Sorcerer, and DK is also versatile, only because they are so overpowered. But I have to imagine DK will be getting nerfed sometime soon.
    • Clarebear
      Clarebear
      ✭✭
      Thanks I have kinda come to similar conclusion thinking I may roll a Sorc and not look back just have to decide race debating between Breton and Dunmer in case I want to go Vampire.
    • LadyChaos
      LadyChaos
      ✭✭✭✭
      Clarebear wrote: »
      Thanks I have kinda come to similar conclusion thinking I may roll a Sorc and not look back just have to decide race debating between Breton and Dunmer in case I want to go Vampire.

For me race tie was weighted in weather or not I every planned to take advantage of the dual wield bonus of Dunmer or the caster oriented bonuses of Breton. If planning vamp I would definitely have gone Dunmer myself.
      VR2 Ataxia - [NA] Veteran Dominion Sorcerer [Auriel's Bow]
      PvP, PvE, Crafting, and General Shenanigans
      >:) Sorcery and Mayhem online since 1999 >:)
      Current PvP Class/Supernatural Census
    • 7788b14_ESO
      7788b14_ESO
      ✭✭✭
      I've played with every class and like someone said in another thread that asked this question, sorc can do everything, tank, dps, heal, pets, you name it. And add vamp to that and you won't regret it. This game really favors casters.