The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Would you like an open world PVP server?

• Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES! I love when pvp burns! Bring on the hardcore pvp lifestyle!
    Well true there would be some problems associated with people whom just want to be A-holes towards others, but the playing field would be even there. The ruleset is hardcore and it's not for everyone. The challenge brings a real sense of accomplishment in my opinion.

I gave the option of basically two No's. A No option for those that personally dont want to PvP but that it should be included for others. I also gave a No option for those whom say ESO should be basically given focus to the majority of PvE players.

If they make a dedicated PvP players the PvE servers would some population and it could be a less lively game world for the rest of us, however there would be less of a phasing issue so maybe that would sorta work itself out.

Of course this all comes down to money. It's easy for us to suggest ideas in game, but the stuff we dont get to see are how well the game and the company who runs it are doing financially. Are they making money or losing money? Or even breaking even?

If this game becomes the next "best thing" I can see them catering to all of our whims for the most part. I guess it's the early quitters that hurt the most. A company needs time to make it's money back and start making a profit on a game, something young people don't really think about. So instead of supporting a work in progress they complain when it's not perfect to their standards on day one.

I bet all of our ideas in some form or fashion will be made reality eventually, but it happens a little at a time over several years. Something that young people need to learn about MMO's in general.
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • roflcopter
    roflcopter
    ✭✭✭
    This is a terrible idea, it should not be an option whatsoever for anyone.
    If this wasn't TES I would vote absolutely yes, but there probably are a lot of people experiencing there first MMO because of the console games. I don't think that they are quite ready for a open world PVP experience.

Also, as I also don't think the gaming society as a whole is mature enough to handle an open world pvp game to know when the right time / not the right time to grief and always will hide behind the guise of RPing as.. or thats just who I am without knowing how it will effect other peoples gaming experience. This is one change unfortunately that would effect the games population.

This game wasn't structured or advertised like Ultima, Mortal, Darkfall and others that were advertised from the get go as an open world PVP world with drawbacks (like losing all of your loot).

If this ever were to be changed to an open world pvp environment what would be the pro's con's of it? If its just pvp, slight stat debuff, or you can't go to cities... Just not worth it imo with all the griefing that would happen. I would love to think that the population would respect other people and not effect or halt progress of other players, I just don't think we are there.
    Xbox One | NA | AD
    GM - OK LOL
    Warden Stuff
    Ex - Trials Core 1 Runner - Left and couldn't be happier
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    @‌roflcopter (gave u an insightful btw)

This game doesent have to be changed to open world pvp, just an addition made or an exclusive server for those like minded players. I'll enjoy this game either way tho, even if an open world server never happens, but it would be pretty neat to have in my opinion. All stuff that is waaay off for now I'm sure, but we can start discussing it now so ZOE has some initial input to do research with.
    Edited by Chryos on May 1, 2014 3:03PM
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • roflcopter
    roflcopter
    ✭✭✭
    Chryos wrote: »
    @‌roflcopter (gave u an insightful btw)

This game doesent have to be changed to open world pvp, just an addition made or an exclusive server for those like minded players. I'll enjoy this game either way tho, even if an open world server never happens, but it would be pretty neat to have in my opinion. All stuff that is waaay off for now I'm sure, but we can start discussing it now so ZOE has some initial input to do research with.

Thanks,

If you read my other posts, I am not against making special circumstances like during the times werewolves and vampires spawn, making players who are vamps or werewolves pvpable and the other way around would bring another level to the game, but bringing it as a whole might not be a good idea.

Giving an option for a server dedicated for it might not be a bad idea.

Xbox One | NA | AD
    GM - OK LOL
    Warden Stuff
    Ex - Trials Core 1 Runner - Left and couldn't be happier
  • Sadae
    Sadae
    ✭✭✭
    PvP will always be dominated by hackers and griefers. Open world PvP would very quickly make most people leave the game. Even the people that "think" they would like this would soon leave once they realize they just can't compete with the cheaters. (And gold buyers to a lesser degree.) The first time they get owned by some level 10 noob using speed hacks (and God knows what else) they'd get their reality check. Then once they discovered that the PvP battlefield is dominated by such people, they'd get frustrated and leave the game too.
  • gcalex5
    gcalex5
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like this would completely detract from the point of cyrodil which gives the little 13 olds there opportunity for there 'gank squads' and then the rest of us the siege warfare we so desperately fiend for like a crack addict.
  • Nidwin
    Nidwin
    ✭✭✭
    No because it won't work, actually it never worked in any game.

R.I.P Mordred, but it was fun for a while.

PvPers always kill their own little world and the reasons have already been posted by others above.

The focus in TESO is already PVE and PvP so, as usual, RvRers are again screwed up and RPers have been granted absolutely nothing again.
    Nidwinqq Templar (healzzz) United Warhammer Vets
    Nidwinqq RR100 Magus till the end, R.I.P. Badlands
  • Huckdabuck
    Huckdabuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil anyone??? It's open world, there are quests to complete there, and you can get ganked if that's to your liking....see Zeni was thinking about you guys when they did that!
    Texashighelf - VR16 Sorcerer EP NA - FILTHY BARBARIAN
    Texasimperial - VR16 Dragonknight EP NA - How do you like your DK?
    Texas'Imperial - VR16 Dragonknight DC NA - How do you like your DK?
    Texas-Imperial - VR16 Templar DC NA - Queue Clogging Lagsploitter
    Texas Highelf - VR16 Sorcerer DC NA - Queue Clogging Lagsploitter
    Texas Imperial - VR16 Nightblade DC NA - Queue Clogging Lagsploitter
    It's a very grey area.
  • Reymas
    Reymas
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love this, in an ideal world, but I'm not sure ESO has the design infrastructure to support it. I feel like a lot of things would have to be tweaked to make this work effectively.

And of course, it would be bot-free.
    Edited by Reymas on May 6, 2014 10:27PM
    Honor, Duty and Piety for Morrowind
  • Gulvar
    Gulvar
    ✭✭
    No. But give the customers a choice.
    I wouldn't even try it but I'm all for people having enjoyable options.
  • AVCN
    AVCN
    ✭✭
    What about limited events? Say, at a given date/time, Eastmarch will be raided by AD forces. Its up for EP folks to set up a defense and for the AD the attack. If one of the factions fail to get enough folks or has poor organization, well, too bad for them. I think lots of non PvP'ers would join and the overall level ballance would be better.
  • UnderKingRhun
    UnderKingRhun
    ✭✭
    i'm all for open world pvp, Sure they could add the option for folk to choose a pvp/non pvp server, many MMos do it. i for one would love "cyrodiil" to spill out across Tamriel, where all cities outposts etc... become keeps basically and are fought over. Again, it would have to be an option, no more no less. that way pvp gets what they want, pve can carry on doing what they do.Hell, open world pvp once you hit vet, will make leveling vet more interesting and most likely less of a chore. From experience though even having that makes no difference. Ppl will still complain about too much too little either way.