Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Destruction staff heavy attack, can i 'abuse' it?

Krodhameyer
Krodhameyer
Soul Shriven
If i hold down right mouse button, it charges up an attack and releases when the charge is full. But... if i hold it down, and just as it's charging, release, it seems to release a full heavy attack.

Does it? Or does it do more damage if you hold it down for the full time?
  • Andy22
    Andy22
    ✭✭✭
    Install FTC or CombatLog addon and check the numbers yourself, than come back and report your findings!
  • Snweos
    Snweos
    Soul Shriven
    Count's as a partial charge with damage done accordingly. Haven't used a heavy staff for a few weeks now, so it may of changed since then.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What Snweos says. This would be considered a medium attack. Up to a point the longer you hold the power attack the more damage it does. It's working as intended so fire away.
    Edited by Armitas on May 2, 2014 4:05PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same as bow - just a different animation.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Krodhameyer
    Krodhameyer
    Soul Shriven
    Ah good stuff, thanks guys.
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    with my lvl 26 blue staff (62 dmg) I deal
    66 light
    162 heavy
    "medium" - unfinished charges are between 80-120

* which seems kinda high anyway - my VR2 NB with VR2 purple bow deals just about 20% more damage. Oh well, NBs SUCK hard.
    Edited by ArRashid on May 5, 2014 9:23AM
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its still counts as a heavy attack for knocking down off balance enemies, so I suppose it can at least be abused that way.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its still counts as a heavy attack for knocking down off balance enemies, so I suppose it can at least be abused that way.
    you are right, but you didn't notice that unfinished charges knock down for slightly shorter time than full attacks. Paired with additional delay (from longer charging), on single target that means about 0.5-1 sec longer stun

if you stun target for 3 sec and put it off balance, and you knock them down with unfinished heavy attack about 1 sec after, you really just SHORTENED the stun. Off-balance really has slightly longer duration than the swirling stars above mob's head, so charging full heavy attack will still knock target down right as he was about to become mobile again for another second or so till he gets up, so you actually dealt MORE damage and kept mob away from you for LONGER.

"medium" attacks are only worth for knockdown if you had to use some ability(/ies) between off-balance and it's end, and you still want to knock enemy down.