Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Wood Elf Height?

• LadyInTheWater
    LadyInTheWater
    ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for the addition of the Chrismer; Santa's Elves.
    The moment you call someone stupid, or try to display your opinion as "fact", you lose all credibility.
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for the addition of the Chrismer; Santa's Elves.

LOL

Pact Bloodwraith
  • Sorpaijen_ESO
    Sorpaijen_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I grabbed screenshots of my characters standing next to Lyris Titanborn ("daughter of giants" and all that)... and while my tall Nord's head MIGHT come up to Lyris's shoulder, my wee wood elf is staring at her belt buckle. :)

I was also amused by the slang some characters use, referring to Wood Elves as "shorties"....
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bosmer males range from 5'4 - 5'9

Bosmer females range from 5'5 - 5'12
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Hev wrote: »

I wanted to say it's just a guestimate, but seeing that it comes from you, I'll ask for a source. I thought absolute numbers were never given.

Btw, 5'12 is 6.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaerth wrote: »
    For the LORE standpoint, how tall is the average wood elf male?
    Funny story ...

Rolled my Wood Elf with the max. possible height, went on to leave the prison playing in 1st person.
    Felt really good about my character and was looking forward to smash some mobs until .... i ran into Lyris ...

Holy mother of awkwardly feeling inadequate moment! The whole time we talked i was looking straight at her belly button.
    :D
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well lol Lyris is the daughter of giants so she is taller than everyone. :) I am a wood elf, maxed height and I am still a hobbit compared to everyone else in the game, LOL.
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Btw, 5'12 is 6.

lol
    Pact Bloodwraith
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    nvm
    Edited by Rosveen on May 1, 2014 12:27PM
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »
    Considering that the medium-height races in this game seem to be at about "normal American heights", we can assume that the average height for Bretons, Redguards, Khajiit, Argonians, Dunmer, and Imperials would be about 5'9". Given that, we could probably assume that Orcs would be slightly above this, Nords above that, and Altmer as the tallest.

On the flip side, if we assume that the height slider for each race gives us about a 6" height difference on either side, that means that a "short" normal race would be about 5'3". If Bosmer at their tallest are about that, that means that their average height would be around 4'9".

Dang! 4'9 might as well make a Wood Elf named Mr. Frodo.

In games and lore I liked (LOTR, D&D, etc) elves were usually a bit smaller than men. But 4'9 is WAY to short for an elf IMO lol.

That's funny, I always thought of Elves as being less than a foot tall.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FCYy5PSTauI/UMQW07XJiVI/AAAAAAAAApc/kTYjvMG3k_8/s1600/elves.jpeg
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    The whole time we talked i was looking straight at her belly button.
    :D

Should have made him a little shorter than you would have been staring at something a little tastier, lol.

Edited by Vaerth on May 6, 2014 7:32PM
    Pact Bloodwraith
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭

Dang! 4'9 might as well make a Wood Elf named Mr. Frodo.

In games and lore I liked (LOTR, D&D, etc) elves were usually a bit smaller than men. But 4'9 is WAY to short for an elf IMO lol.

Elves weren't smaller than men in LOTR. Galadriel was 6'4 ! Though possibly the largest and strongest Men were stronger than Elves by the end of the Third Age.

I wonder how tall my Altmer female is with the height slider maxed? She looks like a willow branch, till you stand her next to a normal size person and realise how strong her arms are..
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    The OP didn't clarify whether he is asking about a European wood elf or an African wood elf so I can't comment on height.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could never plays a race that follows the 'Green Pack'
    Having dinner with them.... you might be eating someone you know and their beer........
    Edited by Natjur on May 6, 2014 11:28PM
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    The OP didn't clarify whether he is asking about a European wood elf or an African wood elf so I can't comment on height.

"it's just a flesh wound" .. ;)

"I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I know is I am a short little fellah.

screen26.jpg
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what you get from not eating your greens :)
    Edited by Natjur on May 7, 2014 1:58AM
  • Sötlimpa
    Sötlimpa
    ✭✭
    I play a medium sized bosmer female, and I'm about the same height as Abnur Tharn=) Boy, does he compensate, or what? ^^
    Also, eyes are about boobie-height when faced with Queen Ayrenn. I feel like I get to admire peoples breastplates a lot lately... Shiny!

It would be a nice help to see how tall you are going to be on the slider. It's difficult to gage height based on lore, and I know I don't really know what I'm doing with the slider. Or at least put a doorway and a table next to the char I'm creating so I know I'm not creating a giant terror or a tiny who can't reach the top shelf without jumping. Seriously, I would have made my bosmer the tallest if I knew I wouldn't be able to reach bags on top of LOW BOOKCASES. It's not very sneaky to jump up hysterichally while spamming E. My thieves guild carreer is so screwed.
    "Riding a guar naked through an Argonian temple."
    -Razum-dar
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I wanted to say it's just a guestimate, but seeing that it comes from you, I'll ask for a source. I thought absolute numbers were never given.

Btw, 5'12 is 6.

Logical inference.

Bosmer females in all TES games have been the same height as Dunmer, Imperial, and Breton males. Taller than most other women of these races.(Except for Dunmer and Imperials whom women are equal in height to the men, Breton and Redguard females are shorter than the men)

Bosmer were shortest in Oblivion(scale of 0.90) For comparison, Altmer and Dremora were 1.010, Orcs at 1.05)

In Skyrim, Bosmer men were greatly increased in height at 0.98, making them taller than Breton and Khajiit females(both at 0.95). Only 2 points shorter than Bosmer females[1.00])
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭

Btw, 5'12 is 6.

Logical inference.

Bosmer females in all TES games have been the same height as Dunmer, Imperial, and Breton males. Taller than most other women of these races.(Except for Dunmer and Imperials whom women are equal in height to the men, Breton and Redguard females are shorter than the men)

Bosmer were shortest in Oblivion(scale of 0.90) For comparison, Altmer and Dremora were 1.010, Orcs at 1.05)

In Skyrim, Bosmer men were greatly increased in height at 0.98, making them taller than Breton and Khajiit females(both at 0.95). Only 2 points shorter than Bosmer females[1.00])

And is ESO does this apply?

Pact Bloodwraith
  • DrunkenDaedra
    Simpley not, you can see khajits as tall as Altmers lol. And i think Slider must be change, it should make more less diffrence about height.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Made another Wood Elf since my last post. This time i made her as small as possible.

I'm not sure if that is reflected in the hitbox but since she is a dedicated PvP character, i figured it may help me avoiding hits and be able to hide better.

She is literally half the size of most of the other players in Cyrodiil.
    :smile:
  • DrunkenDaedra
    Yea small sized characters are more useful in pvp, but this height scale system is kinda disturbing all races ofc shouldnt be same tall but it should be less diffrence if it wont be balanced atleast they should make dunmer more taller as Altmer(because of Khajits!!! :smiley: )
  • kaoticalchemist_ESO
    kaoticalchemist_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    OP, I'm sorry about all the vague ass answers on here. As a fellow RPer trying to find the same answer I'm going to make a REASONABLE guesstimate. I play the shortest Bosmer allowed using the slider So I can give an fairly accurate guess at the height using the average height of a human (Imperial).

Avergae Human Height (Male): 5'-9"

Using this start point I come up to the neck/shoulders of Imperials. Therefore I am assuming the shortest will put my character at about 5'-4" (I have poofy hair in game. So I have an extra few inches added to my height.

Bosmer Male: 5'-4" to 5'-10"
    Bosmer Female: 5'-2" to 5'-8"

Hope this helps!
  • Tiebearion
    Tiebearion
    ✭✭
    My Bosmer is the smallest too(for pvp sneakiness) and I have noticed that my head is just below the bottom of Lyris's Boob when I stand next to her. Therefore I am saying 5 foot is the smallest.
    Glory to the Pact!
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From another thread about this subject: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/158331/from-a-lore-standpoint-how-tall-are-wood-elves-bosmer/p1
    Archer79 wrote: »
    The Bosmer are short for game play purposes. Lore-wise they are not categorized into a definite height/size, in fact only the Altmer,Nords, and Orcs are said to be taller and larger than the other races.
    If you have read the book A dance in Fire, which seems to be the main source for Bosmer culture that influenced ZOS, you will notice the protagonist Decumus Scotti, who is an Imperial, meets a lot of tall and muscular Bosmer throughout his journey to Valenwood. For example:

"Hoy!" came a cry from the wood. A small party of Bosmer emerged from the thicket, clad in leather mail and bearing arms. "Friend or foe?"
    "Neither," growled the convoy head.
    "You must be the Cyrodiils," laughed the leader of the group, a tall skeleton-thin youth with a sharp vulpine face. "We heard you were en route. Evidently, so did our enemies."

"We have an audience with the Silvenar," said Jurus, patiently. This is Lord Decumus Scotti, the Imperial representative."
    One of the guards disappeared down the winding corridor, and returned moments later with a tall, proud Bosmer clad in a loose robe of patchwork leather. He was the Minister of Trade: "The Silvenar wishes to speak with Lord Decumus Scotti alone."

After a short conversation, an even shorter ride to Falinesti's roots by way of the platforms, and a jog to the river bank, Scotti was negotiating transport with a huge fair-haired Bosmer with a face like a pickled carp. He called himself Captain Balfix, but even Scotti with his sheltered life could recognize him for what he was. A retired pirate for hire, a smuggler for certain, and probably much worse. His ship, which had clearly been stolen in the distant past, was a bent old Imperial sloop.

The rest of the story can be found in the imperial-library, if you are interested in Bosmer lore your going to love it:

imperial-library.info/content/dance-fire

So you see the Bosmer can be of any height, and size its just game play decisions that made them short. Personally I have no issues with their height, but not to the standards that ZOS set them up to, because they are really short its actually annoying. Skyrim has the best representation of the Bosmer so far, heck even in Morrowind they were not this short. Oblivion on the other hand treated them like how ESO treats them now, short and annoying, in oppose to scary hunter/assassin/..cannibal?.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • SlachtungFyand
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Races
    These heights are gotten from the creation kit.
    Edited by SlachtungFyand on March 9, 2017 3:55PM
    My name is Truth and I am the most elusive captive in the universe
  • SlachtungFyand
    My name is Truth and I am the most elusive captive in the universe
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Wood Elf is set to the max height and its still very short compared to everything else.
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    I swear every thread I open this morning has been necro'd.
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar