Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Wood Elf Height?

Vaerth
Vaerth
✭✭✭✭
For the LORE standpoint, how tall is the average wood elf male?
Edited by Vaerth on April 29, 2014 2:26PM
Pact Bloodwraith
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can change height...make them taller...
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.
  • ElSlayer
    ElSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried to set character's height to the max?
    @d0e1ow: There is no singular thing within a game's little ecosystem that will convince you that you hate the game, hate your life, and hate everyone around you faster than the game's official forums will.

@TaffyIX: Life is too short to get upset by a video game.
  • nidriks
    nidriks
    ✭✭
    They are noted as the smallest race in Tamriel on the ES wiki:

HERE
    Edited by nidriks on April 29, 2014 1:27PM
  • nidriks
    nidriks
    ✭✭
    In fact in most MMOs, and even fantasy fiction, wood elves are generally the shorter of the elven races. In EQ they were shorter than their close cousins the high elves.

I'd guess, biologically, it would be something to do with being a forest people. Forest dwellers are generally smaller than their plane counterparts, i.e. elephants.
  • mips_winnt
    mips_winnt
    ✭✭✭
    Vaerth wrote: »
    My question is, because I found no information on google, is, how tall ARE Wood Elves? How much shorter is a Wood Elf compared to say, a Dark Elf?

Well they're not as short as hobbits that's for sure, I know this because hobbits are puntable while trying to punt a Wood Elf is an exercise in futility, although if you get a holder rumor has it that you can kick field goals with 'em. :smile:
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know I can make them taller with the slider, that was not the question. The question was how tall are they? I guess I should have asked different, from a lore stand point, how tall is the average wood elf?
    Pact Bloodwraith
  • nhisso
    nhisso
    ✭✭✭✭
    No offense, is this your first Elder Scrolls game? I am only asking because Bosmer, or wood elves, are the smallest race in the game (playable race, that is) and always have been. I don't know how their height translates to real world height. But, they are the smallest race in the game, and probably about 5 foot 7 or 5 foot 8 at max height.
  • nhisso
    nhisso
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can't really make comparisons to other races because someone could have a really short dark elf. Alternatively, the shortest created Nord, Orc, or High Elf is probably still taller than the tallest wood elf you can make.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    nhisso wrote: »
    You can't really make comparisons to other races because someone could have a really short dark elf. Alternatively, the shortest created Nord, Orc, or High Elf is probably still taller than the tallest wood elf you can make.

Yea as a shortest high elf player I can tell you I'm pretty much still taller than anyone else I come across (without knowing what their height was set at).
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »

Yea as a shortest high elf player I can tell you I'm pretty much still taller than anyone else I come across (without knowing what their height was set at).

I can vouch for this as well. I was actually kind of surprised I was still taller than everyone given I had the slider all the way down.
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    No offense, is this your first Elder Scrolls game? I am only asking because Bosmer, or wood elves, are the smallest race in the game (playable race, that is) and always have been. I don't know how their height translates to real world height. But, they are the smallest race in the game, and probably about 5 foot 7 or 5 foot 8 at max height.

Yes it is, that is why I am asking for information here lol. No offense taken at all :)

Pact Bloodwraith
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since I am not getting an answer still, I edited the main post. I wanted a simple answer, with a height and it seems I am getting every answer but that.

Pact Bloodwraith
  • trinta
    trinta
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that at least one race can be used to make a short character!
    Every time someone swears, it gets replaced with three asterisks. There's only one three-letter swear word that I know of. I read that in the place of every set of three asterisks. It makes for some amusing sentences.
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol ok well thanks for completely disregarding the question.
    Pact Bloodwraith
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I am not getting an answer still, I edited the main post. I wanted a simple answer, with a height and it seems I am getting every answer but that.

You're asking us for a solid answer on something that may never have been written down. Bosmer are shorter than other races of Tamriel. That is really all we know. Would it make it easier for you if I just said that the average Bosmer male height was 5'4", even if it's just a guess?
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guess Bethseda (sorry if I spelled it wrong) does not give that information about their playable races in any games they have made for the last SEVERAL years? They really never said the average height of a Wood Elf? Or any race for that matter?

Well then, time to close the thread lol.
    Pact Bloodwraith
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it was something ever officially released, it probably would have shown up here (since they're pretty thorough):

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Bosmer
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Tannakaobi on April 29, 2014 3:46PM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lalai wrote: »

I can vouch for this as well. I was actually kind of surprised I was still taller than everyone given I had the slider all the way down.
    By that same token, you're still going to be short as a Bosmmer even with the height slider at max.

Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pointy eared dwarves.
  • trinta
    trinta
    ✭✭✭

Sure thing. Your question had already been covered, and I didn't want anyone to think that the wood elf height was "disappointing" to everyone.
    Every time someone swears, it gets replaced with three asterisks. There's only one three-letter swear word that I know of. I read that in the place of every set of three asterisks. It makes for some amusing sentences.
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    trinta wrote: »

Sure thing. Your question had already been covered, and I didn't want anyone to think that the wood elf height was "disappointing" to everyone.

The question was answered by someone else. No more food left go back under the bridge!

Pact Bloodwraith
  • trinta
    trinta
    ✭✭✭
    trinta wrote: »

The question was answered by someone else. No more food left go back under the bridge!

I think that's what I said?
  • RianaTheBosmer
    RianaTheBosmer
    ✭✭✭
    Lalai wrote: »

Me too, found I was still taller than even NPCs.
  • kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guess Bethseda (sorry if I spelled it wrong) does not give that information about their playable races in any games they have made for the last SEVERAL years? They really never said the average height of a Wood Elf? Or any race for that matter?

Probably because it really isn't that important and they wanted the flexibility to adjust it from game to game, so they didn't set it down in stone. That way lore nuts won't accuse a future game of being wrong just because there is a tall wood elf in it.

As an aside, I am very tall in real life, but I enjoy playing a shorter Bosmer in ESO. I was just telling my wife last night that it provides me with an opportunity to develop empathy for short people when my character can't reach a tall bookshelf because he's too short, or when I have to jump and press "E" repeatedly to try to interact with a quest object that is too high up…

Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO
  • LadyInTheWater
    LadyInTheWater
    ✭✭✭
    They are depressingly short, and should be purged from the Aldmeri Dominion forever.

Long live the Veiled Heritance!!
    The moment you call someone stupid, or try to display your opinion as "fact", you lose all credibility.
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at racial characteristics in the Elder Scrolls wiki shows slightly different heights. In the last 3 ES games the absolute shortest is a Bosmer male who is slightly shorter than a Bosmer female. Nowhere could I actually find the definition of 1.0 which is the base. Khajit, Bretons and sometimes Argonians are almost as short, though there is really little difference in the earlier games which had default heights.
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Races
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering that the medium-height races in this game seem to be at about "normal American heights", we can assume that the average height for Bretons, Redguards, Khajiit, Argonians, Dunmer, and Imperials would be about 5'9". Given that, we could probably assume that Orcs would be slightly above this, Nords above that, and Altmer as the tallest.

On the flip side, if we assume that the height slider for each race gives us about a 6" height difference on either side, that means that a "short" normal race would be about 5'3". If Bosmer at their tallest are about that, that means that their average height would be around 4'9".
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »
    Considering that the medium-height races in this game seem to be at about "normal American heights", we can assume that the average height for Bretons, Redguards, Khajiit, Argonians, Dunmer, and Imperials would be about 5'9". Given that, we could probably assume that Orcs would be slightly above this, Nords above that, and Altmer as the tallest.

On the flip side, if we assume that the height slider for each race gives us about a 6" height difference on either side, that means that a "short" normal race would be about 5'3". If Bosmer at their tallest are about that, that means that their average height would be around 4'9".

Dang! 4'9 might as well make a Wood Elf named Mr. Frodo.

In games and lore I liked (LOTR, D&D, etc) elves were usually a bit smaller than men. But 4'9 is WAY to short for an elf IMO lol.
    Pact Bloodwraith