The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

pvpeeved

Crumpy
Crumpy
✭✭✭✭
I really want to pvp in this game but I'm finding it really hard to like it.

It takes me ages to reach a battle and then when I get killed I have to respawn miles back again.

It's more running than fighting and I'm really disappointed with it (it's worse than GW2).

Any advice for a (wannabe) eso pvp'er?
I lyke not this quill.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Not done any PvP, but I would suggest either being sneaky and picking off the odd straggler, or getting your self in a well organised group.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get a horsie. Use transition stones, they work like PVE shrines and can be found in keeps controlled by your alliance. Using them will allow you to fast port between distant areas. Keep resources cannot be under enemy control to use it. When you you stone, you will see Cyrodiil map, with keeps connected by green lines. If there is connection between your keep and others, you just have to L click keep icon to port there.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grouping up keeps you alive, a horse gets you there faster, transit shrines work as do forward camps.

Cyrodiil is a big place. The other factions have to deal with this as well, which means if you pay attention, you know where their support lines are at any given time which can yield a tidy sum of alliance points for you ...
    ;-)
  • Hakoke
    Hakoke
    ✭✭
    I actually spent quite a bit of time there today. As for getting around, a horse makes all the difference, I think I didn't spend more than a few minutes traveling to reach a battle at any time.

As long as the supply lines are intact it works great, but if they aren't it can be a pain the farther back from the front you have to spawn.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Admit it, this thread was just an excuse to use "pvpeeved" as a title. :P
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I tried it once on a guest campaign thingy.

The scenery is gorgeous. But it is DEAD. And... EMPTY. Aside from keep battles[which I could not for the life of me, figure out or locate] the exploration and travel is dead.

Things got interesting when I finally found some action and came across a size-able Giant camp. Got intense with my two other friends taking them on and surviving. But after that exhilarating battle... it went back to being empty for another 10 minutes before finding a small pack of wolves... a mile later...

I don't care if they need to tone down the absurd 200 Vs 200 battles, this is ridiculous. Exploring Cyrodiil as of now, is a massive snooze-fest. It needs to have wild-life.

And where are the Minotaurs? Cyrodiil is practically their homeland. In-fact, it's their place of origin if you take the Songs of Pelinal into account.
    Edited by Lord_Hev on April 28, 2014 3:59AM
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For PvP its an very good idea to be in an organized group, for one you use soul gems to resurrect each other, for the second you should be able to have an common goal/ leadership.
    And yes an horse is nice, also select an pretty well populated campaign.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I shall persevere!
    I lyke not this quill.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Hev wrote: »

The scenery is gorgeous. But it is DEAD. And... EMPTY. Aside from keep battles[which I could not for the life of me, figure out or locate] the exploration and travel is dead.

Things got interesting when I finally found some action and came across a size-able Giant camp. Got intense with my two other friends taking them on and surviving. But after that exhilarating battle... it went back to being empty for another 10 minutes before finding a small pack of wolves... a mile later...

I don't care if they need to tone down the absurd 200 Vs 200 battles, this is ridiculous. Exploring Cyrodiil as of now, is a massive snooze-fest. It needs to have wild-life.

And where are the Minotaurs? Cyrodiil is practically their homeland. In-fact, it's their place of origin if you take the Songs of Pelinal into account.

It is a PVP area, not a place to run around and enjoy the views, even if those are amazing. Less wildlife has its own reasons, and it is on purpose, as players here are NOT to fight NPCs. You have all other regions in Tamriel to find NPCs to fight.
    And saying ''I don't care if they need to tone down the absurd 200 Vs 200 battles, this is ridiculous.'' just shows you are another pve player which want every area for himself, without even thinking what others want.
    Cyrodiil is great as it is, dont like it, just dont enter it. Or do, and be ready to get killed any second.

• Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are no minotaurs in elder scrolls.
  • mark2472
    mark2472
    ✭✭✭

There were in Oblivion, and Arena I think...
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mark2472 wrote: »

there were no minotaurs in oblivion. Are you thinking of trolls?
  • mark2472
    mark2472
    ✭✭✭

No, minotaurs...
    http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Minotaur
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, minotaurs...

That cant be correct, I played the hell out of oblivion, found all the spots and never seen a single minotaur.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are minotaurs in Oblivion, one of them had a patrol route near my player house, so 100% they exist. Also there are Minotaur Horns to use for alchemy.

Just google ''minotaur oblivion''...Guess you have missed few areas in your game :)
  • Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember seeing em and beating some of them up in Oblivion's arena.
    I lyke not this quill.
  • Gix
    Gix
    ✭✭✭✭

No, minotaurs...

That cant be correct, I played the hell out of oblivion, found all the spots and never seen a single minotaur.
    Monster list in Oblivion update as you level. If you didn't see them, you were either too low or too high level for them to spawn. Or you're blind as a bat.

With that said, there's plenty of content in Cyrodiil even for those who don't want to do siege battles. Quests, small scale PvP, Anchors as well as small patches of land that have nothing hostile... so that you can PvP without being the unlucky *** that is fighting a player AND a monster. All of these for all sorts of players and all for your benefit.

If you complain about distances, stop dying. Welcome to PvP and keep a sharp eye.
  • Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anchor fights are not pvp though are they
    I lyke not this quill.
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is tons of content other then PvP in Cyrodil, you just have to explore. Having to re spawn back at your home keep is your penalty for death. I think we have forgotten about penalties. You die, you have to run back. Its also part of the large scale PvP strategy. You want to defeat your enemy, widdle their ranks and take what they have. The game was designed that way and it was promoted that way.
  • mips_winnt
    mips_winnt
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    For PvP its an very good idea to be in an organized group.
    Either that or slap on some camo paint and go full commando, it offers the advantage of none of your friends being able to hear screams as you get mugged by an angry group of enemies looking to play "deliverance" on ya. :smile:

• nidriks
    nidriks
    ✭✭
    Find allies to work with, i.e. get a likeminded guild or shout for a group when you enter Cyrodiil.

You will do a lot of running, and there's not a lot of ways to escape it really. Even in a guild.

Getting a horse will definitely help. If you have the money you can buy one from the ESO store. It's £10 in English money. It's not the fastest but it will speed up as you level it with food.

I was in AvA on my own for quite some time yesterday and our enemies were fratically trying to reacquire all the scrolls we took at the weekend. We managed to defend a fort against a lot of opposition, but a number of things made it a trial. This could be concised as cooperation and communication. Things will get better though. It's still early days.

Don't give up.
    Edited by nidriks on April 29, 2014 1:41PM
  • nidriks
    nidriks
    ✭✭
    Also if you're entering at level 10 then, and I'm sorry to say this, but you're going to struggle. You may be boosted to the same level as everyone else, but you still don't have the skills to match. One on one versus a veteran you will likely get slaughtered, unless you are a master at the game.

Sneaking around is very handy and join the mages guild to get the Magelight spell. Keep that up at all times and you see sneaky enemies.

If you do sneak don't have any pet out; even the cosmetic pets. They don't sneak with you and will show you up like a giant bonfire on a hillside at night!

It's best to get with allies and stay safe. Get that group going and communicate.

If people put forward camps up then it will be possible to teleport in to forts under siege, but PUG pvp isn't really the most organised.

The ebst bit of advice I hear from people? Learn as you go. You'll make mistakes, but as long as you learn from them then you're on the right track.
  • nidriks
    nidriks
    ✭✭
    Mortuum wrote: »
    It is a PVP area, not a place to run around and enjoy the views, even if those are amazing. Less wildlife has its own reasons, and it is on purpose, as players here are NOT to fight NPCs. You have all other regions in Tamriel to find NPCs to fight.
    And saying ''I don't care if they need to tone down the absurd 200 Vs 200 battles, this is ridiculous.'' just shows you are another pve player which want every area for himself, without even thinking what others want.
    Cyrodiil is great as it is, dont like it, just dont enter it. Or do, and be ready to get killed any second.

Actually there is a big PvE aspect to Cyrodiil. You can PvE there to your heart's content, if you want to. There's just the added danger of bumping in to someone who wants to kill you. There are dungeons, you know?

To the original poster who was quoted by Mortuum: Cyrodiil is a warzone. A lot of wildlife doesn't tend to stick around when it's likely to get its head blown off.

Look for the big mountain you can climb, and kill the giant at the top. Then head over to the ruined cathedral...it's beautiful.

On this very day my main has quests to pick herbs for a chef and pick something else for someone else...I forget what. There is definitely PvE in Cyrodiil.

• KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is tons of content other then PvP in Cyrodil, you just have to explore
    So, can you go to this zone and NOT be involved in PVP and not be attackable by PCs?
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    So, can you go to this zone and NOT be involved in PVP and not be attackable by PCs?
    No, you can not go to Cyrodiil and turn off PVP...it is the PVP zone, there is pve stuff you can do, but you are still liable to be attacked by players in opposing factions, these are also great areas to stalk other players to gank XD
    Bloodline|RP Guild|Ebonheart Pact
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    mips_winnt wrote: »
    zaria wrote: »
    For PvP its an very good idea to be in an organized group.
    Either that or slap on some camo paint and go full commando, it offers the advantage of none of your friends being able to hear screams as you get mugged by an angry group of enemies looking to play "deliverance" on ya. :smile:

deliverance.jpg
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trouvo wrote: »
    KerinKor wrote: »
    No, you can not go to Cyrodiil and turn off PVP...it is the PVP zone, there is pve stuff you can do, but you are still liable to be attacked by players in opposing factions, these are also great areas to stalk other players to gank XD
    Yup, that's what I feared .. great PVE content unavailable to those that would appreciate it due to players such as you who don't give a rat's ass for it I doubt.
    Edited by KerinKor on April 29, 2014 2:13PM
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    nidriks wrote: »
    Mortuum wrote: »

Actually there is a big PvE aspect to Cyrodiil. You can PvE there to your heart's content, if you want to. There's just the added danger of bumping in to someone who wants to kill you. There are dungeons, you know?

To the original poster who was quoted by Mortuum: Cyrodiil is a warzone. A lot of wildlife doesn't tend to stick around when it's likely to get its head blown off.

Look for the big mountain you can climb, and kill the giant at the top. Then head over to the ruined cathedral...it's beautiful.

On this very day my main has quests to pick herbs for a chef and pick something else for someone else...I forget what. There is definitely PvE in Cyrodiil.

Mate i know there is, i have done all dungeons, skyshards, and most quests. Just as you said, it has added a danger factor of getting killed any second. And i know you can PVE there. My point was tho, maybe i choose wrong words for it, forgive me, english is not my native language, was, that low wild life there is on purpose. Traveling back to battle we dont want 50 NPCs on our way, and enemy faction players hiding in bushes to finish us off with 1 shoot.
    And i agree with you that quests are there, are well written, and fun to do. Just dont expect Zeni to add amount of mobs and animals we have in PVE zones, as that will not happen for reason stated above. It is not PvEvP zone like in some games, it is pure PvP zone.
    OP sorry if it sounded rude or you felt like im trying to tell you to get the f*** out of Cyrodiil, that was not my intention. As @nidriks said, there is alot to do PVE wise, dungeons are fun, and challenging, its just open areas where you wont be able to find many NPCs. Advice:if you want to experience Cyrodill PVE, pick low populated campaign, chances of meeting other players/enemy faction players are really low, close to 0. If you are, by any chance, EU player and part of Daggerfall Convent, i recommend Hopesfire campaign. Map is always blue, and theres no EP/AD at all.
  • demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had a group of PKers pass by me while I was stealthed, and didn't kill me. Even had one of them look my way for a few seconds before moving on.
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Get with a group.

You'll die less and get revived more (so you don't have to respawn.)
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU