Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Polygon reviews ESO. 6.0

• Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So angry joe and polygon, 2 reviewers i never heard of until now, have given low ratings and both have over 200 comments from the actual people playing beyond the short visit of these reviewers saying that they rated it wrong.

Yeh when 1-2 people review something and give it a 6 then 150+ comments say wtf? Who are you going to believe, the 2 stooges or the 150 people who are playing as the game unfolds?
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Gix
    Gix
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love the review; disagree with most of it, though.
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Polygon hasnt even been around before 2012...they have reviewed what amount of mmo's released since 2012? Plus they recruited that jackass from the escapist....funny guy but he was born to give negative reviews
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• zoetaz1616
    zoetaz1616
    ✭✭
    If I don't like something, I wouldn't be spending time bashing it online or hours complaining as I see people do in game. I would be vapor. I enjoy the game, it's not perfect, but I'm having fun and expect to have more fun. Seacrest out...
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems like the reviewer wants Zenimax to make a square circle and penalizes them for failing to do the logically impossible.
    Edited by Armitas on May 1, 2014 9:26PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • d0e1ow
    d0e1ow
    ✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »
    Its ok d0e1ow im sure someone will share the same feelings as you. Though i must correct you on "theme park" mmo it's a term used for a mmo type that has been done before. though ESO does share some similarity's with other mmos it also has enough difference to count it as non theme park. but its okay i understand your one of those who want to be "cool" so you hate all the games that are out. The fact that you could not even come up with an original name shows how uncreative you are.

This is, perhaps, one of the worst things anyone has ever attempted to insult me about. Allow me to illuminate you.

My name "d0e1ow" is pronounced "Doe-low". No, to you, this obviously appears like gibberish, and that's ok. To me, however, the name carries a great deal of meaning.

The main character of Vladimir Nabokov's novel "Lolita" (Maybe you've heard of it.) is named "Dolores Haze". When I played DotA, I played as "Dolores Haze" for a time, but felt that was too blunt and overt and, as you put it, uncreative. I decided to do a spin on the name Dolores with some gamer 1337-speak instead.

Hence: d0e1ow.

Kindly step off, sir.
    "Her mystery was as essential to her as savagery was to Boethiah or treachery was to Molag Bal. To understand Nocturnal is to negate her, to pull back the curtains cloaking her realm of darkness." - Sigillah Parate "Invocation of Azura"

• Lanatireb17_ESO
    Lanatireb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, its unquestionable that this review is not the most unbiased one.
    Still, the rating for ESO on metacritic (which is, remind you, an AVERAGE of ALL ratings) basically goes down a little bit every day.

Currently, it sits at a whopping 72, which is, for a AAA title, a major disappointment.

It is accompanied in that area by powerhouses like:

Wargame: Red Dragon 74
    User: 8.1
    Life Goes On 74
    User: 6.3
    Banished 73
    User: 8.3
    Cloudbuilt 73
    User: 7.5
    Gigantic Army 73
    User: tbd
    The Elder Scrolls Online 72
    User: 6.1
    10 Second Ninja 71
    User: tbd
    Batman: Arkham Origins - Cold, Cold Heart 71
    User: 6.3
    Thief 70
    User: 5.7

I wont even talk about User Rating, cause that is definitely biased.
    Now, i do understand that people who like this game will not be happy with Polygons review, but an AVERAGE rating of 72 is in no way, shape, or Form explainable by biased reviewers, sorry.
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    demendred wrote: »
    Is this going to turn into one of those pissed off Joe review threads?

"You can't handle the truth!"

• sevcik.miroslaveb17_ESO
    What I do not understand at all is why everybody claims that Skyrim was so much better.

Quests - same only little deeper. Yet repeatable as hell. Interiors - copy paste.
    - Enemies - stupid. War between empire and stormcloaks - stupid. You have a lot of NPCs pretending that they fight. You need kill each enemy yourself. And so on and so on.

I did like skyrim and own legendary edition. ESO is so similar to ES games.
    It does not deserve the hate it gets.

Though if I was part of dev team I would stick with ES first person shooter mechanics instead of leaning to MMO. That was their biggest mistake and that is most likely the killer.

Still I have faith that it will be success in the end. They neez to tweak it and some content so more people may come and try it.
  • Guppet
    Guppet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So angry joe and polygon, 2 reviewers i never heard of until now, have given low ratings and both have over 200 comments from the actual people playing beyond the short visit of these reviewers saying that they rated it wrong.

Yeh when 1-2 people review something and give it a 6 then 150+ comments say wtf? Who are you going to believe, the 2 stooges or the 150 people who are playing as the game unfolds?
    WTF dude, you quoted and replied to yourself. Don't pretend people are agreeing with you, by agreeing with yourself.

That post will make it on to some how not to use forums guides, lol.
  • Genomic
    Genomic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "What I do not understand at all is why everybody claims that Skyrim was so much better."

I feel Skyrim is a vastly superior game to ESO. And the Metacritic scores indicate most feel the same. In fact, type in "Elder Scrolls" in the Metacritic search function and you'll see all ES games and their relative scores. It's quite an eye-opening comparison.
    Edited by Genomic on May 6, 2014 10:06AM
  • bugulu
    bugulu
    ✭✭✭
    I usually take reviews with a pinch of salt.
    You can't base how good a game is with just a mere score.
    Reviews for me is a great tool to get information of a game, the score I don't care about.

So if we look at their latest review, this game is on par or worse than the following games:
    Kinect Sport Rivals
    Lego The Hobbit
    Octodad: The deadliest catch
    Yoshi's New Island
    Olli Olli
    Nidhogg

Basing how good a game is by just looking at the score is stupidity at its best.
    Use reviews as a tool to get information, do not base a games performance by looking at the score.

Oh, they gave Battlefield 4 a score of 4.
    Edited by bugulu on May 6, 2014 10:16AM
  • sevcik.miroslaveb17_ESO
    Oh well if battlefield received 4 point then I guess it is huge success. I would give BF4 1/10 only for graphics. Otherwise it is ultimate piece of garbage. And I idiot pre ordered it including premium. It was my first product from DICE and with all honesty it is also the last:-)

But I agree that looking just for scores is not working well. Nothing can beat personal experience.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    ITT: Overzealous defenders squirm over uncomfortable truths.

If you love the game, the worst thing you can possibly do is pretend it's perfect and take a default position of trying to discredit anyone with criticism. I'm not kidding.
  • scruffycavetroll
    scruffycavetroll
    ✭✭✭
    this game is very good, but does have some pitfalls....every MMO does in the beginning, but this game does have some holes and faults in the core systems, which have a good intention, but fail in practice in an MMO. we do need to be a little more patient, which I don't have in abundance, but want to try to give this game some time.

I only hope that the devs really consider changing some things around and modifying a few of the games core systems such as grouping, and the selling of items....there is a compromise here, i'm not gonna get into it again, but there is a way to keep what they have, and add to it making most people happy, because whatever that statement they released last said, was pretty vague and nondescript.

this game can't be everything to everyone.

MMO fans will need to sacrifice some things, while at the same time hardcore TES fans will also need to sacrifice.

Edited by scruffycavetroll on May 6, 2014 1:27PM
  • Skrumpknuckle
    I was at gamestop on saturday and the employee was actually talking somone out of buying TESO. I kindly walked over and agreed with him.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like how he wants to be by himself in a mmo.

He's right though. As someone who was able to play throughout the small scale Psijic Order beta test, I can tell you that the game was much more enjoyable with fewer people around.

It was more challenging, more immersive, and more Elder Scrolls.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU