The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

WTB ignore for forums

• Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Its funny how the word troll gets used and is generally used to describe anyone who disagrees with you. So people who ask for ignore buttons generally are asking to not read anyone elses opinion. Very closed minded imho.

Agreed, it's blindingly simple ti ignore someone on a forum. All you need to do is stop reading it if it doesn't interest you .
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can go to 4chan or reddit for that

And here is the reason some of us want an ignore button.
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure I'm for this one. Silencing an opposing viewpoint is never a good thing IMO as it does nothing for the discussion. Proper debate and understanding requires empathy ..the ability to discern where your opponent is coming from in their views. By ignoring an opponent in a forum debate, you are essentially dismissing their argument out of hand.

"The day you think you know everything is the day no one can teach you anything"

Offensive posts, trolls and vulgar miscreants can already be dealt with via the flag post function.
    "I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can go to 4chan or reddit for that

And here is the reason some of us want an ignore button.

Because someone gave you a location for great off topic havens? Classy.
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Reddit and 4chan are "havens" now?

The cesspit of the internet and you are asking people to go there?

I wouldn't send people I don't like to those sites let alone people I dwell on a forum with.
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Reddit and 4chan are "havens" now?

The cesspit of the internet and you are asking people to go there?

I wouldn't send people I don't like to those sites let alone people I dwell on a forum with.

And thats what we dont want here with off topic forums, see the relevant correlation?
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And thats what we dont want here with off topic forums, see the relevant correlation?

There is a huge difference between general discussion and off topic.

At the moment, new player help is being filled with topics that would be better served in a general discussion section. Not many of them are helpful to new players.

And even if there was an off topic section, is it difficult for you to just not open it up if it offends you so very much?
  • Singular
    Singular
    ✭✭✭✭
    And please no general forum, I dont want to see a million posts that have zero to do with ESO.

Don't worry, Ragnar! Even if they implement a general forum, no one can force you to read it.

Stay strong.
    War, give me war, give me war.
  • Singular
    Singular
    ✭✭✭✭
    We agree it's needed. It's something we're working on getting added, @spawn10459.

I would like the ability to block mail from some people. I don't necessarily want to block reading their comments on the forums, but I would like to prevent them from sending me annoying, useless and cowardly messages.
  • Singular
    Singular
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greydog wrote: »
    I'm not so sure I'm for this one. Silencing an opposing viewpoint is never a good thing IMO as it does nothing for the discussion. Proper debate and understanding requires empathy ..the ability to discern where your opponent is coming from in their views. By ignoring an opponent in a forum debate, you are essentially dismissing their argument out of hand.

"The day you think you know everything is the day no one can teach you anything"

Offensive posts, trolls and vulgar miscreants can already be dealt with via the flag post function.

It's not for silencing opposing viewpoints, it's for silencing meaningless posts from those whose only goal is to hinder meaningful discussions.
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    Singular wrote: »

It's not for silencing opposing viewpoints, it's for silencing meaningless posts from those whose only goal is to hinder meaningful discussions.

Yes, but we both know there are those who would use it for that purpose ;)
    We agree it's needed. It's something we're working on getting added, @spawn10459.

I would like the ability to block mail from some people. I don't necessarily want to block reading their comments on the forums, but I would like to prevent them from sending me annoying, useless and cowardly messages.

I can get behind this ..agree +1

"I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • lichmeister
    lichmeister
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mean to imply that one prevents the other from being funded. I merely wanted to make it clear that funding both siphons funding away from one.

I appreciate you being mature enough to simply disagree politely though. :)

I work in IT and I know how much time, energy, and money it takes to maintain systems like these so I tend to prefer that a game forum group be focused on topics that are constructive. I understand other people will have other ideas though. Best of luck to you!

i would counter that off topic conversations can be very productive. every game i have played in the last 10 plus years has them and it doesn't stop new content from rolling out. it gives all of the subscriber base to have conversations away from the game that may build comraderie. it provides a spot for the moderators to plant conversations that have strayed from an ESO theme. i understand some of us have no interest in participating in off-topic discussions here but the solution to that is easy: set up an off-topic forum and those among us who don't want to see them can simply not visit.

i have no idea what it costs, being as i don't work in IT like yourself, but i would guess it to be an economy of scale issue. they are already maintaining these servers, so what is one more forum category? its not like there will be a ton of extra traffic simply because they added a new category, will there? i am not trying to troll: i really am curious to know! i am a cook and when i am boiling beans (for example) it takes a significant amount of energy to cook them. if i decide one day that i have to prepare another cup or two there is no significant increase to my energy consumption because the stove is already rocking. i dunno if this is a fair analogy or not. Would ZOS need to 'turn on a whole new burner' to handle the extra category?
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doggie wrote: »
    How do you guys manage to get hate mails on PM on the forums?
    I get them all the time. I attempt to be helpful some times i smack those posters who seem to have nothing better to do then troll. but for the most part im as helpful as possible.

IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Singular
    Singular
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes, but we both know there are those who would use it for that purpose ;)

I honestly don't mind if someone blocks me for that reason.

There is no point in arguing with those who lack reason :)

I can get behind this ..agree +1

[/quote]

Totally - make it so Zenmax!
  • Sydänyö
    Sydänyö
    Soul Shriven
    If you do add an ignore function, please either make it so that the entire message is hidden, and not so that there's a banner of something showing whose message it is, or add a class like "Ignored" or something to the <li>-elements of the list that contains the messages, so that we can at least hide the entire element with custom CSS.

Ignore should hide the person fully, and not be like "hey, here the ignored guy is saying something again, you can see him speak, you just can't see what he says."

Also, if your forum developers are really pro, you could add the same "Ignored" -class to quoted posts as well, so we can hide those too. I mean, people quoting a person who's been ignored makes you see his posts, so the whole point of ignoring that person goes out the window.
    Edited by Sydänyö on April 27, 2014 3:15PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do add an ignore function, please either make it so that the entire message is hidden, and not so that there's a banner of something showing whose message it is, or add a class like "Ignored" or something to the <li>-elements of the list that contains the messages, so that we can at least hide the entire element with custom CSS.

Ignore should hide the person fully, and not be like "hey, here the ignored guy is saying something again, you can see him speak, you just can't see what he says."

Also, if your forum developers are really pro, you could add the same "Ignored" -class to quoted posts as well, so we can hide those too. I mean, people quoting a person who's been ignored makes you see his posts, so the whole point of ignoring that person goes out the window.

Right. Except that when you do this, it means that a number of discussions will start to appear delusional, because you'll only see someone talking to themselves, with no way of knowing what the ignored party was saying.

Want an ignore feature for those you deem to be trolls or (more often) "fanboys"? Go for it. But if someone is actually trolling, the mods take action against them.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely agree an ignore function is needed.

I believe empowering people to moderate the forums to their own individual tastes is the way to go. Because whenever a heavy-handed approach done generally by a moderator detached from the context of the conversation is done, injustices frequently occur.
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    Saihung423 wrote: »
    Because, I am sure I may become the most ignored poster in the forums short history

Oh, I think I'll give you a run for your money on that one, my friend.

Hey, this thread was started because of me. So let's all bow down to the master.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, anyone else love that the star ratings on this forum have nothing to do with how many posts you've made but how much people like/support those posts?

really? You believe this thread was started because of something you have mentioned before?

I have seen nothing but insightful comments made by you.
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enteum wrote: »
    Saihung423 wrote: »
    Because, I am sure I may become the most ignored poster in the forums short history

Oh, I think I'll give you a run for your money on that one, my friend.

Hey, this thread was started because of me. So let's all bow down to the master.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, anyone else love that the star ratings on this forum have nothing to do with how many posts you've made but how much people like/support those posts?

really? You believe this thread was started because of something you have mentioned before?

I have seen nothing but insightful comments made by you.

Why, thank you. But I can actually claim responsibility for this thread. The OP was very upset over some comments I made in another thread about utilizing the in-game report feature instead of the forums when it comes to bots.

Don't worry, I'm taking it all in stride, and I'm sure I'll be back on my feet in no time.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Sydänyö
    Sydänyö
    Soul Shriven
    Want an ignore feature for those you deem to be trolls or (more often) "fanboys"? Go for it. But if someone is actually trolling, the mods take action against them.

A forum ignore function isn't meant as a tool to combat behavior that isn't allowed on the forums, and therefore whether mods take action against people isn't relevant to the function at all.

Forum ignore is meant as a tool to be used against people who aren't breaking any rules and who aren't going to be banned from the forums, but who you just wouldn't rather ever see again.
  • Winke
    Winke
    ✭✭✭
    Forum ignore is meant as a tool to be used against people who aren't breaking any rules and who aren't going to be banned from the forums, but who you just wouldn't rather ever see again.

lol love this definition :)

:: Winke::Breton Templar::Merchant::
    ::Koke::Argonian Dragon Knight:: Bard::
    The Obsidian Brotherhood
    "Eldest, that's what I am...he remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside.."
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh. Can honestly say this would be the first forum I've ever used that allowed people to ignore others.

Seems counter-intuitive on a discussion board, but whatever works I guess.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm for it being implemented, but probably wouldn't use it. Seems like it would make discussions seem.. well odd if you couldn't see what one person was posting. Hopefully it works as I've seen it work in other forums where the comment is hidden, but can be seen when clicked on. That way if you need it for context it's there.

Then again if that was the way it worked, skimming past the posts made by the ignored user would work just as well.
    Edited by Lalai on April 28, 2014 12:20AM
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lalai wrote: »
    Seems like it would make discussions seem.. well odd if you couldn't see what one person was posting.
    One possible solution to satisfy this problem is collapsing the posts of blocked persons, rather than outright hiding it. That way the person could choose to uncollapse it and read what they said, if desired.

[beta_group_85b_9]
  • Sydänyö
    Sydänyö
    Soul Shriven
    Sarenia wrote: »
    Lalai wrote: »
    Seems like it would make discussions seem.. well odd if you couldn't see what one person was posting.
    One possible solution to satisfy this problem is collapsing the posts of blocked persons, rather than outright hiding it. That way the person could choose to uncollapse it and read what they said, if desired.

That's how Blizzard does it on WoW's forums, and that's how MMO-Champion does it on their forums as well.

However, that defeats the entire purpose of ignoring someone to begin with. You ignore someone because the fact that they're posting pisses you off, and you'd rather not see them post. However, if the posts are still there, simply collapsed so you can't see the content of the post, then you're not actually, really ignoring them.

I use custom CSS myself to hide ignored posts completely on MMO-Champion's forums, because there's an applicable class in the entire post element, so that it can be hidden quite nicely.

If the forum developers are really skilled, they can make it so that by default ignored posts get collapsed, with a single line stating that this is an ignored post by user X, and a button to open the post so you can see what it says, but also add a feature in the settings with which you can "hide all ignored posts", and that'll then make every ignored post disappear from the forums completely. Mechanically it's a simple thing; make the setting load an extra line of CSS with a display:none; to any ignored post when enabled, and there you go.
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would that work? You could see the thread but not the posts? What if someone comments on something some other "ignored" person said?

What about making the "ignored persons's" posts be in a different color?
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    Huh. Can honestly say this would be the first forum I've ever used that allowed people to ignore others.

Seems counter-intuitive on a discussion board, but whatever works I guess.
    actually i was a mod on a forum that allowed it and i know SOE's forums allows it as well.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    lol i laugh when i check mails to get hate, usually from the same people, not naming names, same people who also flag my comments for no reason, apart from the fact they don't like my opinions, but even then i still would not ignore them as sometimes even they have valid viewpoints.
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    spawn10459 wrote: »
    Please Dev's give us the ability to ignore other people on the forums.

See a name you know you don't like that posts a lot?

Don't read their post. Problem solved....

-First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.