Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Make over kit - Cash shop - Make it happen!

caleb.badrulzamannrb18_ESO
Hello ZoS,

Apology if the entry is in the wrong section.

Please make available to us make-over kits in the cash shop. I really wouldn't mind buying that as Im almost v10 (not going to reroll) but wanted to change the toon's appearance. Vanity Items.

I'm sure general players wouldn't mind and even welcome this move.

Thanks.

• Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, please.
    And in general I would like to see many more things (cosmetics) for purchase.
    Like costumes and such
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do hope considering how this is a sub/month game , they will avoid adding such thing to a cash shop. They should add a normal version to ingame currency , where you can change your looks, and , if they want it so , they might add a paid on for faction/class change.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • matthewameluxenub17_ESO
    ^
    That, sir or ma'am, is not the definition of capitalism ;)

If people are willing to pay for it, there will be a cost. Sub-fee or not.

I wouldn't mind seeing this in the game. Preferably not under a cash-shop option. I'm pretty happy with the guy I made, but I'd love the option to be there.
  • knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    well if they do a shop might as well sell every thing.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please make available to us make-over kits in the cash shop.
    What 'cash shop'?

This is a subscription game there is NO PLACE for MT in here.
    Edited by KerinKor on April 23, 2014 10:53AM
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^

I wouldn't mind seeing this in the game. Preferably not under a cash-shop option. I'm pretty happy with the guy I made, but I'd love the option to be there.

Yeap , it kind of is.

They must think of how to make the most money , not just how to get sales in the cash shop. Make a cash shop too agressive , and people might quit over it , saying this and that should be ingame for currency.

They must balance which would give them the most , which does not mean just adding things in the cash shop because some will pay for it.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    How about no. We shouldn't have to pay anything more when we already have subcribtion fee. That is what it is for after all. You either have subscibtion fee but all the content free for players to obtain one way or another or you drop out the subscribtion fee and open up a cash shop. Not both.
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    No cash shop but please a Change appearance and paint cloth
    Or motifs for that
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You guys can say "no cash shop" all you want, but I bought an in game horse for real world cash. That's a cash shop. So it's already there, and I can see no harm in them selling cosmetics through the _cash shop_ they have already implemented.
    ^

Yeap , it kind of is.

They must think of how to make the most money , not just how to get sales in the cash shop. Make a cash shop too agressive , and people might quit over it , saying this and that should be ingame for currency.

They must balance which would give them the most , which does not mean just adding things in the cash shop because some will pay for it.

Certainly, but for all the people that love to claim that microtransitions and DLC's are somehow immoral and/or not effective, they are ignoring the factual numbers. It works. Things like a 15.00 palomino shouldn't exist, but it does because not only do people purchase it, but those who don't are not bothered enough by it to take their money elsewhere.

You are correct that there is a balance, but trust me when I tell you that sub-fee + microtransitions will be tolerated by the masses. I don't like it, but I fall into that same group I just described: Things like the palomino are not driving me away. So Zeni gets their extra money and still keep me as a customer.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^

Yeap , it kind of is.

Certainly, but for all the people that love to claim that microtransitions and DLC's are somehow immoral and/or not effective, they are ignoring the factual numbers. It works. Things like a 15.00 palomino shouldn't exist, but it does because not only do people purchase it, but those who don't are not bothered enough by it to take their money elsewhere.

You are correct that there is a balance, but trust me when I tell you that sub-fee + microtransitions will be tolerated by the masses. I don't like it, but I fall into that same group I just described: Things like the palomino are not driving me away. So Zeni gets their extra money and still keep me as a customer.

Im not saying the shop itself wont be accepted , im saying that depending on what they sell on said shop , it could back fire.

The most obvius thing , that probably will never happen , is selling boosters , that could make the game considered P2W. If they did that , im quite sure for an example it would make a major cut in the subs the month after.

But that is an extreme example i dont believe they would apply , still , something like the make up kit instead of a "barber shop" could cut in the subs, even if not by much at first, im quite sure they will consider how much each said could give them.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Sanspoof
    Sanspoof
    ✭✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »
    You guys can say "no cash shop" all you want, but I bought an in game horse for real world cash. That's a cash shop. So it's already there, and I can see no harm in them selling cosmetics through the _cash shop_ they have already implemented.
    Horses like the palomino already exist in the game though, it's not like the only way to acquire a horse is by spending real money.

Anyway, I'd like in-game a barber shop.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen the effect of a cash shop added to a game that already has a purchase cost, expansions cost, and subscription fees. And as ludicrous as EQ2 has become with this, even they don't make you pay for character re-customization.

I have no interest in seeing that on ESO.

The one exception being special services, such as character slots, or name changes. These should cost extra.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 23, 2014 11:35AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭

Just because you are a whale doesn't mean that it is justified for companies to be greedy and try to take away customers money trough dirty marketing tactics. I will support no company that is excessively greedy and neither will many other players.
  • Sydänyö
    Sydänyö
    Soul Shriven
    Sarenia wrote: »
    The one exception being special services, such as character slots, or name changes. These should cost extra.

I take it you agree that a makeover is just as much a special service as a name change?

• Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    The day they put in cash shops for cosmetic reasons is the day I quit this game. I did not subscribe to a P2P game to deal with something that F2P games have. A horse was already pushing it for me, but this? No.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I take it you agree that a makeover is just as much a special service as a name change?
    No, I don't.
    I've seen the effect of a cash shop added to a game that already has a purchase cost, expansions cost, and subscription fees. And as ludicrous as EQ2 has become with this, even they don't make you pay for character re-customization.
    The concept of making people pay for such a rudimentary function boggles my mind. I can't recall a single subscription game that has done this. None that I've played, at any rate.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    ^

Yeap , it kind of is.

It still is immoral. Yes, the consumer has only for themselves to blame for allowing that to happen but it also is immoral. You don't go around in 3rd world countries, charging from clean water and then thinking that it isn't immoral just because it sells well.

And to be honest, you both forgot the most important factor that determines whether or not that kind of excessive greediness will work and that is the fact that if the game is good enough to get players obsessed over it.

WoW at it's time was exceptionally good but even it had to eventually turn to F2P cash shop model and based on many reviews and conversations here in the forums, it seems that ESO is on the edge of many players not subscribing further, not alone allowing yet another paygate for the game.

I think that the additional paygate would be incredibly bold and risky move from ZoS, at least for the time being if they want to keep players playing their game and maintain subscirbtion fee.
    Edited by BETAOPTICS on April 23, 2014 11:41AM
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭

No, I don't.
    The concept of making people pay for such a rudimentary function boggles my mind. I can't recall a single subscription game that has done this. None that I've played, at any rate.

Star Wars Galaxies....There was an entire profession JUST for this. They were called Image Designers.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kyosji wrote: »

No, I don't.

Star Wars Galaxies....There was an entire profession JUST for this. They were called Image Designers.
    And they charged in-game currency, I imagine.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't spew cash shop requests in a game that has a monthly fee; we pay this to unlock the whole game, not to pay for parts on top of that.

ESO should have an in-game barber shop instead, like WoW and Everquest 2 do. Heck, EQ2 has been F2P for years, and it's got an in-game barber.
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Kyosji wrote: »

No, I don't.

And they charged in-game currency, I imagine.

Since it was the player doing it, they can charge what they want, or do it for free. That was the beauty of Star Wars Galaxies. It was so realistic to real world that you never even had to fight anything in the game. You could be a builder, a doctor, a dancer, a musician, whatever you really wanted.
    BETAOPTICS wrote: »
    It still is immoral. Yes, the consumer has only for themselves to blame for allowing that to happen but it also is immoral.

Irrelevant. Although I could have probably used better wording. Numbers don't care about morals, and the numbers are there.

Getting off-topic now, but the big-picture point was that paying a sub-fee somehow equates to an addition of cash-shop items as an impossibility, due to whatever reasoning you wish to give. Nox mentioned the balance, which is true. I'm pretty sure most companies have figured out at this point that pay-to-win (or at least blatantly obvious p2w) cash-shop items are a no-go.

On-topic: I doubt that a makeover option would fall under such system. Correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't followed WoW in a LONG time) but it only costs money there if you change race/faction, right? The hair stylist or whatever was in-game.
    ...here in the forums, it seems that ESO is on the edge of many players not subscribing further, not alone allowing yet another paygate for the game.

I think that the additional paygate would be incredibly bold and risky move from ZoS...

I won't disagree it would be a bold move, but to be fair there was flak over TESO right from announcement. It is difficult to say which complaints are actually valid and which fall under the "It isn't TES:VI!" or "Another theme-park MMO ruining another franchise!" complaints, which fall back on sub-fee or microtransactions to try and justify their anger.

• Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add it in, but let me pay with in game gold. I pay every month to play i do not want to be paying for every item from a cash shop!
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    It still is immoral. Yes, the consumer has only for themselves to blame for allowing that to happen but it also is immoral.

Irrelevant. Although I could have probably used better wording. Numbers don't care about morals, and the numbers are there.

Getting off-topic now, but the big-picture point was that paying a sub-fee somehow equates to an addition of cash-shop items as an impossibility, due to whatever reasoning you wish to give. Nox mentioned the balance, which is true. I'm pretty sure most companies have figured out at this point that pay-to-win (or at least blatantly obvious p2w) cash-shop items are a no-go.

On-topic: I doubt that a makeover option would fall under such system. Correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't followed WoW in a LONG time) but it only costs money there if you change race/faction, right? The hair stylist or whatever was in-game.

I am unsure but the additional content such as mounts there costs. And I would not be surprised to see if there or here would be armor visuals make-overs. The thing is that while they are not mandatory, it sill falls into dirty marketing tactics since they know that common MMO players care how they look.

Thus technically speaking it is not forcing someone to buy the content per say but it wages a psychological warfare in your head an depending how much you care for them, you then " force " those players to buy the items or they don't buy them depending on their personality.

That is the idea behind them, it has always been so. Coming from my brother who is part of marketing teams and well knows marketing psychology. But I guess I am spoiled, spoiled in a ways of thinking that the industry and companies need to come back again to the times of more pro-consumer tactics.

To the times where it was about making games to make money and not about making money to make games. To the times where money was earned through good consumer practices and good games and not cheap cash shop milking tactics that are far too common these days. Yet, people willingly accept these because as long as they pull the right strings, people are more than happy to lose all their money.
    Edited by BETAOPTICS on April 23, 2014 12:23PM
  • Phyrdrin
    Phyrdrin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know this example is going to earn me a frown or two, but look at Warcraft. That has a subscription fee yet they have all kinds of services such as race change, faction change, appearance chance, mounts, etc. available in their shop. I apologize, but I couldn't think of any other sub game that I used to play that has this sort of thing aside from AION, which is now F2P.
    "Surprise me. Say something intelligent."
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Just because you are a whale doesn't mean that it is justified for companies to be greedy and try to take away customers money trough dirty marketing tactics. I will support no company that is excessively greedy and neither will many other players.

I don't really get the "whale" thing, but let me clarify: I didn't mean to insist on things being exclusive to the cash shop. I just can see no harm in having one. If the same services are available for in game currency then fine by me.
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope that we don't see much of a "cash shop" in this game. If they do start adding more it should be purely cosmetics. I'm not going to go through that "No tricks, No traps" monkey business again; like when Trion World's RIFT pulled their little stunt around Patch 2.8 with enhancing gear and what not. It screwed over the equalization of crafting amongst the players and threw the in-game economy completely into total chaos
    Edited by Gwarok on April 23, 2014 3:01PM
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• Willow
    Willow
    ✭✭✭
    I would love a make over kit and some costumes in the ESO store. It would be great if you could buy the items in game for a large amount of gold as well so those that do not want to pay for such items with real money can use in game gold

I know vanity items would be something I would not mind paying real cash for.
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget the cash shop, forget even in-game barber/beauty shops (which would be grossly out of place in an Elder Scrolls world). When characters reach level 30 they should receive an automatic in-game message that has a cosmetic re-do token attached. (Tokens are non-transferrable.)

Introducing ANY item whatsoever into a cash shop of some sort is a very slippery slope.