Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Will PC/MAC users be able to play with xbox one and/or ps 4 users?

moxsapphire_ESO
moxsapphire_ESO
✭✭✭
Topic
Feel free to close/let die once answered with an official source, if one exists
  • epoling
    epoling
    ✭✭✭✭
    this has already been answered quite a few times. No - each platform will be on it's own servers. There won't be cross play between them.
  • Hyperventilate
    Hyperventilate
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. PC and Mac are the only ones that will share servers, PS4 & Xbone will have their own servers.
  • moxsapphire_ESO
    moxsapphire_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    so why can a Mac and PC play together [different operating systems] ?

Where has this been answered in an official, non-speculative source?
  • scruffycavetroll
    scruffycavetroll
    ✭✭✭

they've already said that each console will have its own megaserver and PC/macs will be separate.

accept it, or don't believe us and keep waiting for cross platform play.

Edited by scruffycavetroll on April 22, 2014 7:30PM
  • thesawolfb14_ESO
    Edited by thesawolfb14_ESO on April 22, 2014 8:01PM
    Name: Wolf-in-Shadows
    HA HA.. made you look! Just my game vitals below ---
    Alliance: Aldmeri Dominion
    Race: Bosmer (VR-1) / Werewolf (10 - max)
    Class: Nightblade
    Campaign: Dawnbreaker
    Guilds:
    • Is Not Lost (personal)
    • The Lost Ones (friend's personal bank)
    • Trade Masters (trade)
    • Incognito Merchants (trade)
    • empty
    Question Reality : Find Your Own Truth!
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭

Because Sony (and Microsoft) will not allow players from the other console on their networks. If it were ONLY on PS4 then Sony probably would have allowed PC players to interact with the console players (as they did with FFXIV). But there is NO WAY that Microsoft and Sony would allow all the players together. Remember that the consoles use their own proprietary networks. Personally I think that they should allow the PS4 to connect to the regular megaserver (Sony would probably allow that since they did for FFXIV)...but that would probably be seen as "unfair" to the XB1 since Microsoft would NOT allow it.
    Edited by Saerydoth on April 22, 2014 7:59PM
  • moxsapphire_ESO
    moxsapphire_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Is the game peer-peer? Are clients communicating with clients?
  • Valethar
    Valethar
    ✭✭✭✭

Mostly due to Microsoft and Sony not playing well with others.

They like to cite 'quality assurance' reasons for keeping themselves apart from the rest of the world, but it really just boils down to the fact that they can't charge people on other platforms to play on theirs. PC players aren't going to pay for XBox and Play Station network access when they don't own the console. Likewise, most XB or PS players aren't going to pay for another account on a platform they don't own.

If Sony and Microsoft allowed people to play on those networks without paying, they'd face an immediate backlash and their customers would demand free access as well.

Microsoft owns both Windows and the Xbox, yet very few games have ever been cross platform between them. Despite the Xbone VP saying he's 'looking at more cross platform play' don't believe it until it happens.

PCs and Macs are essentially the same thing. The only real difference these days is the OS. Most of the underlying hardware is the same.

In the end, it's not about hardware or software, peer to peer or communications, it's about how much money Sony and Microsoft can extort from people.
    Resistance is not futile! Say no to the Greed Collective™. Boycott Crown Crates.
  • codyyoungnub18_ESO
    Saerydoth wrote: »

Because Sony (and Microsoft) will not allow players from the other console on their networks. If it were ONLY on PS4 then Sony probably would have allowed PC players to interact with the console players (as they did with FFXIV). But there is NO WAY that Microsoft and Sony would allow all the players together. Remember that the consoles use their own proprietary networks. Personally I think that they should allow the PS4 to connect to the regular megaserver (Sony would probably allow that since they did for FFXIV)...but that would probably be seen as "unfair" to the XB1 since Microsoft would NOT allow it.

Lol, that's interesting. But my XB1 connects to the internet just fine, browser takes me wherever I want to go. My Vudu, Netflix apps download quick, twitch is wide open just like a PC, whereas Sony's twitch is not. Sonypony lets rumble bro :)
  • Dunhilda
    Dunhilda
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, you know what that means? NO bots on console
  • jpsgamingb14_ESO
    jpsgamingb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Console versions won't be as populated imo.

Sigh

To bad zenimax didn't follow final fantasy xiv in what they do with cross platform play especially with how good it is on ps4 now. I can log out on my pc and go log back in on my ps4 and continue where I left off if I feel like chilling on the couch.
  • Cleofis
    Cleofis
    I really don't get why they can't play nice. They did for FFXI (PS2, PC and 360 all on the same servers).
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Console versions won't be as populated imo.

Sigh

To bad zenimax didn't follow final fantasy xiv in what they do with cross platform play especially with how good it is on ps4 now. I can log out on my pc and go log back in on my ps4 and continue where I left off if I feel like chilling on the couch.

It wasn't Zenimax's decision. They didn't decide "we don't want to allow this, we really want to have separate servers for each version". It was Sony/Microsoft's decision that forced Zenimax to go this route.
  • Valethar
    Valethar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cleofis wrote: »
    I really don't get why they can't play nice. They did for FFXI (PS2, PC and 360 all on the same servers).

Probably because they got a cut of the sales. I highly doubt it was altruism on their part.
    Resistance is not futile! Say no to the Greed Collective™. Boycott Crown Crates.