Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Unarmed Skill tree

genericroleplayer92
Just as the title says, I'm suggesting a set of skills for players who prefer to beat their foes up with nothing but their own bare hands. Will anyone provide any differential opinions to this?
  • Roost.12eb17_ESO
    Roost.12eb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I would love to see that as well.
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think the unarmed tree is ***. How in the hell do you expect fists to do as much damage as a sword or mace?

If it were a thing, I would hope the damage it did was NOT competitive. That just defies logic.
  • Sanspoof
    Sanspoof
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the exact same thing as I was watching some guy fighting a mudcrab in his underwear with his bare fists. Such an epic fight! It's a shame this playstyle isn't more elaborate.
  • Thunder
    Thunder
    ✭✭✭
    How in the hell do you expect fists to do as much damage as a sword or mace?

It's a long standing RPG mechanic that's not as unrealistic as it might seem at first glance. Typically the bare fisted fighters in MMOs are monks, like that old school TV series Kung Fu starring David Carradine. Their power comes from their speed and accuracy, allowing them to make devastating blows to vital areas of the body.

I wouldn't be opposed to an unarmed class in ESO, but there's plenty of time for that in upcoming years and expansions, just don't make it a panda bear!
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    to steal class titles from other jobs, Monk and Pugilist, yeah i'd love to see an unarmed tree brought in, nothing quite like beating your opponent down 1 on 1 with your bare knuckles, gloating/bragging rights right there especially if you pull it off in PvP lol, +1 for unarmed skill tree, mind you i'd like to see some brass knuckles/knuckledusters in there too.
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • Mailmann
    Mailmann
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the idea of adding a new Fist Weapons weapon class along with an unarmed combat style. I would love to see some knuckledusters or even some claws in ESO. Additionally, even though these weapon types aren't really found in the games, they are mentioned in the lore.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be opposed to this.

To add credence to punching armor and somehow doing damage, there could be fist weapons and/or skills that magically augment fist attacks.
    Mailmann wrote: »
    I really like the idea of adding a new Fist Weapons weapon class along with an unarmed combat style. I would love to see some knuckledusters or even some claws in ESO.
    I would _kill_ to have some vicious claws on my Bosmer. <3
    Edited by Sarenia on April 22, 2014 6:31AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    If they introduce fist weapons then it's ok, but not bare knuckle boxing style... that's silly.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Hexxagone
    Hexxagone
    ✭✭
    Badass Unarmed Nord Viking?
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hexxagone wrote: »
    Dumbazz Unarmed Nord Viking?

Edited by Abigail on April 22, 2014 7:38AM
  • genericroleplayer92
    Abigail wrote: »
    Hexxagone wrote: »
    Dumbazz Unarmed Nord Viking?

Thats very mature, *Abigail*
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think the unarmed tree is ***. How in the hell do you expect fists to do as much damage as a sword or mace?

If it were a thing, I would hope the damage it did was NOT competitive. That just defies logic.

In a game that is about a fantasy world, features classical fantasy features such as magic and this guy is talking about logic and realism. Right.

Anyways, why not. I don't see the necessary reason personally but what harm would it do, after all unarmed play appeals to some and it has been features in normal TES games for long time.
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    For people new to ES, Unarmed has always been a skill line and a damn fun one at that. I would love to see it added but without 'fist weapons' as this goes against even the meaning of the word unarmed. Perhaps add 'boxing gloves' as a disguise late in the game or something. See no reason why it was not included tbf.
    "Neither a 'Borrower nor a Lender' be."
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
    Please check out Enchanting Alchemy - A Progression Guild
  • Indii
    Indii
    It seems like there would be room for an Unarmed skill line. I mean ultimately I expect the game will expand in that direction at some point. But it would still need a 'weapon' slotted.

Fighting gloves or brass knuckles seem like the logical choice.

This 'invisible' weapon would need to take up 2 slots though. Otherwise you'd run into conflicts with the dual wield and shield skill lines.
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree, you would not ever NEED a weapon slotted for it as in previous ES they were unarmed but you could receive gauntlets with unarmed skills on them. It may seem logical to have them but it would go against the nature of previous games and it just would not be the same. If you are above level 15 I would suggest equipping a weapon in one set and nothing in the other..... MAGIC, you now have an invisible weapon slot and if you equip a weapon/shield then you are no longer unarmed.
    "Neither a 'Borrower nor a Lender' be."
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
    Please check out Enchanting Alchemy - A Progression Guild
  • Squishy
    Squishy
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about this myself, as for the underwear wearing character fighting mudcrabs, it was very likely myself a while back, as I was checking how useless light armors were for protection. Armor vs nothing kind of comparison.

I then went on, and completely removed everything, including weapons, still to test things out.

Turns out, you can fist fight, and yes, your dps will be low. However, your class skills will work just fine, provided they do not require a specific weapon equipped.

I was more thinking of a crowd control class, with low DPS, but incredibly powerful CC's (able to bypass some boss' immunity). A bit like tai-chi, redirect the foe's power, to CC them, without actually harming them much.

One thing I feel is a missed opportunity in ESO, aside from the fact we actually have separated classes, rather than the ability to pick and mix, is the lack of pure CC with slight DOT or HOT. There are some, but they're usually target oriented, and quite short in duration (to the exception of some ultimates, but those are well... ultimates :) ).

One could wear layers on his fists (on the weapon slot), under the armor, so not always visible (can be hidden like the helmet?), magical items, allowing you to infuse some mental damage as you touch (purely melee based, Only 1.5m range, for some abilities requiring you to grab the enemy, otherwise, 0.9 m range for all other abilities).

Those fists layers (did not think of a name sorry), would imbue you with the ability to mentally confuse enemies ( a new kind of CC, neither snare, nor immobilized), so it could be applied onto some bosses (otherwise, this class is entirely useless for bosses). One could say, this would be the same as what Phoenix did in Knights of the zodiac, some 30 years ago or so. It would plunge the enemies (for roleplay/explanation only) into some sort of trance for a while, terrorizing the person, within its mind, sort of like an illusion. For those familiar with the defunct COH, a bit like the mind controller class.

The animation, to be a lot more badass feel, could be based on some complex pinpoint strikes (Like fist of the north star, but, slower ^_^). ( for reference is you somehow never heard of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokuto_no_Ken ).

The attacks would be based on both magicka and stamina. Magicka for damage, stamina for duration.

So when a skill/strike is made, it's level, and magicka cost, define the base damage (most skills would be either DOT or HOT), with the typical weapon bonus. Then your amount of stamina, would decide how long the skills will go for. All skills, would be channeled (which movement allowed), consuming stamina. Not all would be interruptible (or shield bash will just you know...)

The hand layers would be a two hand weapon, otherwise, it might just be weird (shield or 1h sword in one hand.. etc).

Like the staves, this could branch out to either DPS/CC/Heal/tank, depending on the fist layer you wear.

The fist layers, would be a new profession to craft, requiring both clothier materials, and essence runes. Since it is only a layer, I'd say both ressources in low amount (like 2 cloth, and 1 essence rune = both fist layers crafted).
    "In 2014, a possible bot was sent to coldharbour by a military GM for a crime she didn't commit. This argonian promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Ebonheart underground. Today, still wanted by the developers she survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a bot problem, if no one else can bite you, and if you can find her....maybe you can hire The SQUISHY."
  • gimmethecreepsb14_ESO
    Considering it's been a longstanding FACT that many Khajiit actually prefer fighting bare-handed, I wouldn't be opposed to an unarmed skill tree. My only question is how unarmed attacks (not the skills, the actual punches) would scale with level without some sort of "glove" equipped. I know previous ES games were LITERALLY unarmed, but they were also LITERALLY a 1 player game, so you could LITERALLY make characters that were LITERALLY unkillable godmode beasts too. So I mean I'd be interested to see an unarmed style of combat.
  • Sortis
    Sortis
    ✭✭
    Considering it's been a longstanding FACT that many Khajiit actually prefer fighting bare-handed, I wouldn't be opposed to an unarmed skill tree. My only question is how unarmed attacks (not the skills, the actual punches) would scale with level without some sort of "glove" equipped. I know previous ES games were LITERALLY unarmed, but they were also LITERALLY a 1 player game, so you could LITERALLY make characters that were LITERALLY unkillable godmode beasts too. So I mean I'd be interested to see an unarmed style of combat.

I think fist-wraps that an outfitter could make would be a good answer to this. You will still be "unarmed" yet have a weapon to equip/craft/enchant. I feel it would please all parties involved.

Also the Khajiit are practicing one of many of their martial art forms at the Temple of Two Moons Dance, on Khenarthi's Roost. They call it "Riddle'Thar" and the teacher even calls out forms like "waning crescent". They all seem to have moon themed names. It's very interesting, check it out some time.

I sincerely hope they put the Unarmed skill in the game. As someone who played a Monk in TES 3 and 4 it's definitely my class of choice. I was pretty letdown with Skyrim's decision to exclude it. Maybe TES VI will bring it back or TESO.

One shield is priceless, but two shields makes you look stupid.-Old Orc Saying

• stjobe
    stjobe
    ✭✭
    I'm having a lot of fun with Olaf the Mad Pugilist (my Nord DK that hasn't ever used a weapon), but it kind of sucks that there's nothing but light/heavy attacks that do piddly damage (even though certain DK abilities increase the damage, it's still very much less than with a weapon).

Having an Unarmed Skill tree would make things so much easier, even more fun, and perhaps even viable at later levels!

Here's what such an Unarmed skill tree could look like:

Active Abilities
    A2: Kick. A kick attack doing X physical damage
    A4: Flurry. A flurry of six punches doing X physical damage
    A14: Sweep. You sweep the legs of your opponent, knocking them down for X seconds
    A20: Flying kick. You jump to and kick an enemy up to 22 m away
    A38: Focus. Your unarmed attacks do X/Y more damage for Z seconds

Passive Abilities
    P5: Fists of Steel. Increases damage when unarmed by X/Y
    P10: Rigourous Training. Reduces the cost of unarmed abilities by X/Y
    P17: Lightning Reflexes. Increases dodge chance when unarmed by X/Y
    P30: Conditioning. Decreases damage taken by X/Y
    P41: Deflect Arrows. Blocks X/Y damage from projectiles

As for missing out on weapon enchants I see two possible solutions:
    1. Either make the unarmed abilities inherently better than weapon attacks to make up the difference,
    2. or (preferably) have unarmed "weapons" e.g. hand wraps that you can enchant.
  • Captain8504
    Captain8504
    ✭✭✭
    Know the thread is old but had to bump anyways lol I'm also interested in a bare hand brawler lol