Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Alchemy is a bit deceiptive

• Rapscallion74
    Rapscallion74
    ✭✭✭
    I started an Argonian Nightblade with Alchemy in Mind. He will get 15% boost in effectiveness fro his racial, 20% effectiveness from the Catalyst passive, then 30% increase in duration from Medicinal Use passive. Should be quite significant.
  • Rainingblood
    Rainingblood
    ✭✭✭
    Increased duration pots, and crafted-only potions that can return Stam, magicka and HP at the same time? That's a win in my book.
    Phoebe Anderson
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For your own personal use, yes. But most people just don't bother with potions. As a crafter, I'd actually love to have a market to sell my wares to, y'know.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    For those of you (a minority) who don't see the difference between "pointless" and " a bit deceptive":

- Everybody here "noticed" that pots are for most of them useful and better than npcs' ones.

I was mainly talking about diversity.

But also benefits, return over investment/use, and overall balance with other game features.

Criticism is not love or hate, black or white, take or quit..
    (Also I acknowledged I was low level and was asking for others feedback)

Anyway lots of insightful answers. Thanks

• Rainingblood
    Rainingblood
    ✭✭✭
    From my minimal experience, crafting in general in this game is more of a side-note. Some are more beneficial than others and there will be some people who craft because they are crafters and want to sell their wares. But until ZOS fixes guild stores in Cyrodiil and create a real end-game use for all crafts, then I see the majority of people will craft primarily for themselves and for others as a side-effect.

tl;dr: crafting needs a lot of work, IMO. It has potential, but I never think to myself, "This profession will really be beneficial to me in end-game."

A thread I made about crafting.
    Phoebe Anderson
  • Lox
    Lox
    ✭✭✭
    I am only a lvl 20 toon and I currently have level 20 Alchemy. Using 3 plants I can make a single pot that restores health, magicka and stamina and every one of those is better then than the equivelant individual pot that drops, thats a no brainer as far as I am concerned!
  • Ohioastro
    Ohioastro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Right now the potion market, like the soul gem market, is badly distorted by having dungeon bosses drop stacks of potions and a soul gem per win. Once this is fixed the flood of dropped potions will abate and the use for alchemy will become more obvious. I think that the poor interface for using potions is a bigger issue for alchemy than the utility of the potions themselves. It's a bit of a crime that nirnroot is so useless too - since the invis potions are far too shortlived to be usable in practice.
  • Azzak
    Azzak
    Well it would work far better if the only existing potions were made by players.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Even at low skill levels you can make a simple heath magica potion to use.
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hope at some point the devs focus their attention on the issues with crafting. It was supposed to be a big part of the game and as other have mentioned it has become almost pointless.

It's also nearly impossible with the lack of space, recent bank issues and having to share between all toons.

I would really like to see them create seperate storage for crafting materials. Maybe ones you could upgrade or unlock as you progress a crafting line.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evergnar wrote: »
    I really hope at some point the devs focus their attention on the issues with crafting. It was supposed to be a big part of the game and as other have mentioned it has become almost pointless.

It's also nearly impossible with the lack of space, recent bank issues and having to share between all toons.

I would really like to see them create seperate storage for crafting materials. Maybe ones you could upgrade or unlock as you progress a crafting line.

I've found crafting to be extremely effective and quite enjoyable. The main reason you haven't heard about it being insanely useful in the endgame yet is that the best crafted sets can't be made yet. It is literally impossible for any player to have researched 8 traits on anything by now, so no one can actually craft these sets. In a few weeks, you'll start to see more crafted gear.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grizzbi wrote: »

I won't talk about the inventory management which can be daunting.

Alchemists have it easy. My alchemist mule isn't even half full. :p

Enchanting... that's a mess. And I have sympathy for any provisioner foolish enough to try and stockpile resources.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 21, 2014 5:45PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea alchemy is probably the easiest of them all for inventory, when you count multiple tier mats and research items for clothing, smithing and woodworking.
  • Ashigaru
    Ashigaru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Potion

Now how would that not be sexy? That isnt one of the best ones i can make.
  • Ashigaru
    Ashigaru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    Yea alchemy is probably the easiest of them all for inventory, when you count multiple tier mats and research items for clothing, smithing and woodworking.
    And you would be wrong. you throw in all the little crap they give you at higher lvl like the trophies and such and if you hope to have anything but alchemy in there your screwed.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashigaru wrote: »
    And you would be wrong. you throw in all the little crap they give you at higher lvl like the trophies and such and if you hope to have anything but alchemy in there your screwed.

You aren't supposed to be able to have every crafting skill on one character, but I have no problem keeping provisioning, alchemy, clothier and blacksmithing in my inventory and bank. And no, I haven't thrown out my trophies.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashigaru wrote: »
    Shimond wrote: »

If you're comparing inventory management for crafting professions, alchemy is the easiest. Sorry.

That doesn't mean having tons of alchemy components won't eat up your inventory. It just means it's the lesser of all evils.

Most of us dedicated to crafting are using mules. Personally, I'm doing 4 crafting professions and have like 5 mules. It's the only way to go right now.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 21, 2014 6:02PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    I do both alchemy and provisioning. That's probably why I mentioned that inventory management was "daunting". That said I can believe that other crafts need more thinking when it comes to choose what you keep or what you sell ^^

I did have mules on other mmos. But for some reason, I don't on teso: I feel like it's cheating when it's definitely not. Maybe I should just relax and have a mule to help ;)
    Edited by grizzbi on April 21, 2014 8:11PM
  • Zewks
    Zewks
    ✭✭✭
    They need to make found and bought potions a LOT worse than they currently are. Despite crafted potions being slightly better, its still not enough of a difference to inspire me to make my own.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to make found and bought potions a LOT worse than they currently are. Despite crafted potions being slightly better, its still not enough of a difference to inspire me to make my own.

Can you buy a health/stamina/magicka potion? No. They're plenty powerful.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dropped potions cap at L50, crafted potions cap at V5

So once your in Veteran levels (V1+) Crafted potion are worth it
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    Dropped potions cap at L50, crafted potions cap at V5