Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is 'Resto' Staff Mandatory?

Jeddahwe
Jeddahwe
✭✭✭
Hi,

Well people are posting more and more builds as they play Veteran Rank content and more and more are going with Restoration Staff in one of the weapon slots IF you play caster due to the passive damage increase of your health % and the 10% mana restoration on last tick of a channeled heavy attack.

Simply put the +2% damage increase for every 10% HP you have is huge as it seems.

Thoughts?
Edited by Jeddahwe on April 21, 2014 4:55AM
  • Valmond
    Valmond
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer Destruction Staff because i have Dunmer racials for fire damage, and i find the attacks from destro staff just flow better (for lack of better term).
    I will have resto as a backup for of heals if i don't need to have aoe build for adds on top of single target dps.
  • deathcoyrwb17_ESO
    Generally its not mandatory for Sorcs. The same can be said for Dragon Knights and Nightblade. Their damage output with Destro staff is generally better and its aoes in synergy with class skills allow clearing of mobs faster rather than the dmg increase from resto staff. Most importantly we do not face that much of MP problems, i play NB and never encountered MP issues. At most, we have resto staff for heals but again, each class has their own respective way of self healing making resto staff optional.

Templars on other hand, i see many going resto staff route for the Mana Battery effect. I believe Templars are the only class with dire MP problems and resto staff is technically their lifeline. ZOS also nerfed their restoring spirit passive which basically was their only effective and safe way of recovering MP.
    Edited by deathcoyrwb17_ESO on April 21, 2014 6:01AM
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's more about play style than raw numbers. If your groups work well together then you are happier than if you have mastered a min/max. The game is still young and play styles will evolve. That's why every month has it's own flavor. For example, I bet a lot of these same players didn't do much party healing getting to VR level.

On the other hand, the mana regen, extra healing, and extra damage from the passives in the skill tree are nice to have even before VR.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • Meogi
    Meogi
    It may be quite nice for pugs that all can chip in with some off-heals; in addition, the resto staff single mob dps is not bad at all.
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restro Staff isn't Mandatory. But its VERY nice to have and level in general if your planning on being a Main Healer. It also makes general leveling a breeze due to the fact that simply using Heavy Attack allows you to get back Magicka during combat with a slight healing.

I think what you are seeing mostly is people leveling the staff to be healers later on.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    I refuse to use staffs of any kind, I am an assassin... :)
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Nasuradin_ESO
    Nasuradin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I never really planned to be a main healer with my sorcerer, but I can say even through VR2 stuff, if I encounter something particularly difficult, i swap to my resto staff offhand throw out my clannfear and twilight with magicka regen aura and heal them while they tank for me... though most things with 1-2 shot my twilight matriarch pet if she gets aggro.
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never really planned to be a main healer with my sorcerer, but I can say even through VR2 stuff, if I encounter something particularly difficult, i swap to my resto staff offhand throw out my clannfear and twilight with magicka regen aura and heal them while they tank for me... though most things with 1-2 shot my twilight matriarch pet if she gets aggro.

Have you thought about using the Pet Ward abilitiy to "heal" them in conjunction with the Restro Staff??
  • Nasuradin_ESO
    Nasuradin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »
    Have you thought about using the Pet Ward abilitiy to "heal" them in conjunction with the Restro Staff??

Yes, if there's a particularly hard hitting critter that wastes my clannfear as well in a few hits I'll whip out conjured ward, it also has a nice bonus of stacking with the shield from steadfast ward on resto staff.

edit: (no steadfast ward will not apply to your pets, only you or other players, no conjured ward won't apply to other players only you and your pets, so steadfast ward + conjured ward stacking only happens on you)
    Edited by Nasuradin_ESO on April 21, 2014 9:33AM