Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Gold Spam & Horse Prices

Jeddahwe
Jeddahwe
✭✭✭
I can't help but wounder if all this gold spam (supply and demand) is because people want horses which cost a crazy amount of gold?

What if horse prices dropped including feeding them?
  • Kadigan
    Kadigan
    ✭✭✭
    Horses are very expensive but I believe legitimate players are willing and able to find the gold themselves without resorting to purchasing from gold farmers.
    Daggerfall Covenant: Fork-Stealer, Argonian Dragonknight
    Aldmeri Dominion: Kadigan, Bosmer Nightblade
    Let's be civil, shall we?
  • pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO
    Jeddahwe wrote: »
    I can't help but wounder if all this gold spam (supply and demand) is because people want horses which cost a crazy amount of gold?

What if horse prices dropped including feeding them?

I don't think that it's just horses. Of course, you need a ton of money to buy several horses that you will need - one for questing with all upgrades into inventory slots, one for Cyrodiil with upgrades into speed, so that you can get to places faster (mind you, Cyrodiil is huuuge and traveling takes a lot of time) and maybe more.

Yet, horses are not the only issue. Many people want to level crafting quickly and can't be bothered to gather mats and would prefer to just buy them. Some people would want a vampire bite, going price for which is like ~20k gold or even more at the moment. There is plenty of options where you can spend your gold if you have plenty and some people can't be bothered to collect it properly and they would buy gold from gold spammers.

It's not that hard to collect enough gold to buy a horse. Basically you just need to hold off on buying stuff on early levels(anyway, crafted gear is better), sell all your excess mats, do quests and loot chests and you'll get there in no time.

"Do you want the book or not? Then go whack some people with Wabbajack!!"
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. People will always waste money then want more - it's human nature.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so would a linked trading post (auction house) make earning that gold easier? More customers and all?
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    It's nothing to do with that. Horses are only expensive if you desperately want one at level 3. Gold buyers are overwhelmingly likely to be spending their ill gotten gains on trading.
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    ...going price for which is like ~20k gold or even more at the moment.

Which is down right extortion and damn right I'm calling the kettle black. It's pure greedy exploitation that needs to be put a stop to.
    "But it's RPing!"
    My dark elf ***!!!
    Thankfully there are some out there that are putting a stop to it out of the kindness of their hearts.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/82451/stop-buying-bites-we-will-bite-you-for-free#latest
    Edited by Gwarok on April 19, 2014 9:31AM
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• Lo'ko
    Lo'ko
    Buying something expensive, just means it becomes more valuable to you and makes it feel like more of an achievement when you get it. Gold spammers are just the parasites of the MMO world who feed upon the less-knowledgeable players.
  • YuccaPalm
    YuccaPalm
    ✭✭✭
    Horses are not rly expensive. I had the 43k one under lvl 30. I wish there were other mount models which were more expensive.
    Edited by YuccaPalm on April 19, 2014 12:30PM
  • Frosthawk
    Frosthawk
    ✭✭✭
    @YuccaPalm wrote: »
    Horses are not rly expensive. I had the 43k one under lvl 30. I wish there were other mount models which were more expensive.

Like Senche tigers, sabrecat or "a guar"?
    EU - Adlmeri Dominion
    Sanquin's tester
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't blame the horse, blame the people who support criminals in order to "win" at an online game.
    ----
    Murray?
  • KariTR
    KariTR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It isn't horses; the store sells the cheapest in real money terms, so it would be uber stupid to risk your CC details to a gold-selling sites and a perma-ban just for a horse.

As people have said, those who want to max crafting early (and so will need all the bag and bank storage they can get their hands on) are probably the majority of gold-buyers. Hand in hand with that are PvP focussed players who don't want to craft, but want to have the best gear they can buy for battle.

I can attest to what another poster said about this being the worse game for bots they have seen since L2. Certainly for a subscription MMO anyway. I've seen some FTP PvP MMOs (argh, too many acronyms) that were as bad as this, but never a subbed one since L2.

I'm trying to see the silver lining - aka it speaks some way to the popularity of ESO - but it was bots that forced me from L2 and I don't have the tolerance I had last decade. Plus with no open PvP, it is very hard to counter bots in Tamriel.
    Edited by KariTR on April 19, 2014 1:17PM