Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Constant 1-2 second game freezes

dalgrimar
dalgrimar
✭✭✭
I have since the early acces till now every 30seconds-1minute 1-3second game freezes wich is really extremely annoying.
I have no clue why the game does this.
Maybe it has to do with my pc?
I recently upgradet my gfx card so that shouldnt be a problem.
I got only 8gig ram tho maybe its cuz of that?
I allways listen to Twitch on background while gaming i dont know if that has annything to do with it wich shouldnt cuz i do this for years now and never had anny problems with this..
  • AngelofAwe
    AngelofAwe
    ✭✭✭
    It happens to me too, although not as often as you say... maybe once or twice an hour for me.
    The freezes happen because the CPU suddenly spikes 100% load for a few seconds and then it keeps moving...
    If I'm streaming the game it makes the stream drop as well since the CPU load prevents encoding I suppose.
    Angel of Awe (Aldmeri Dominion EU)
    Imperial DK - VR10
    Aldmeri Trinity/ Crime Syndicate
    Sanguine's beta tester
    Warrior of the Chrysamere campaign
  • pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO
    dalgrimar wrote: »
    I got only 8gig ram tho maybe its cuz of that?

People are spoiled these days. As Bill Gates said back in the day "64kb should be enough for everyone" :smiley:

But in reality I don't think that it's your RAM that's causing the issue. As AngelofAwe has pointed out when it happens to him, CPU spikes 100% so it has nothing to do with the RAM per se. In fact I also play with 8 Gb of RAM and on laptop on high settings and haven't encountered your issues. Actually, I think that the game's engine is one of the better optimized compared to the most of the games I've seen in recent years.

My best guess would be to pull up your task manager and go through the process list checking for extensive RAM usage and CPU priority numbers lower than that of ESO (low number like 00 means it will be performed ahead of everything else). If one of these processes is ahead of ESO on the list and is power-hungry (say, an antivirus waking up and doing a quick check of file system) then it can cause these freezes and slowing down. Hope that helps!

Tl;dr - Check your process list and see if there is anything with high demand for CPU power and above ESO on priority list. Kill the process if it's not critical.

Edited by pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO on April 19, 2014 9:27AM
    "Do you want the book or not? Then go whack some people with Wabbajack!!"
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    8Gb is the maximum amount you can use anyway. I have 16 Gb but that's only for non gaming related purposes.

I have a good gaming pc and still get these freezes; just something that will hopefully improve over time.
  • gazzboydeb17_ESO
    I have exactly the same problem although for me it only seems to happen in major cities like Vulkhel Guard or Skywatch when there are a lot of players running around. Last night I switched the graphics from High to Medium and it seemed to help. Although I shouldn't have to do this because I run all my other games on high graphics and they run perfectly. I'm sure they will address this issue soon though. I have faith :)
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its not your memory. Its a known issue that's lessened since beta but still not gone. As the above poster stated, what happens is your cpu will go to 100% for the duration. I have found that lowering the textures to med lessens it but doesn't make it go away completely.
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with @gazzboydeb17_ESO. There has been quite a bit more than the usual amount of "hiccups" since the patch yesterday.
    Edited by Gwarok on April 19, 2014 9:46AM
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    This has started for me too. Just after the last patch along with the infinite loading screen when zoning into an instance.

I never had these problems before the last patch.
  • merfpmerfinton
    merfpmerfinton
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/61051/2-3-second-freezes/p1

I had the same problem. I used the fix from the thread above and it hasn't happened since.

Basically you need to go to

or if you are on EU server /liveeu
    File: UserSettings.txt

Search: SET RequestedNumThreads "-1" and change it to: SET RequestedNumThreads "0"
    Edited by merfpmerfinton on April 19, 2014 11:11AM
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/61051/2-3-second-freezes/p1

I had the same problem. I used the fix from the thread above and it hasn't happened since.

Basically you need to go to

or if you are on EU server /liveeu
    File: UserSettings.txt

Search: SET RequestedNumThreads "-1" and change it to: SET RequestedNumThreads "0"

From what I have read in that thread you posted, the line was removed so its no longer valid. Try closing the launcher and then setting ESO.exe to high priority and see if that helps also when I had the freezes, dropping just the textures to med almost completely stopped it and you wont notice that much difference.
  • Vantor
    Vantor
    ✭✭✭
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Open Task Manager, right-click eso.exe and set the priority to "High".

Windows doesn't save this change, so Google for a utility called Prio which makes Windows save the setting for you.