Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Level 28 is 1050 health enough?

jesterstear
jesterstear
✭✭✭
I've got a level 28 elf Templar , sword and board tank who also moonlights as a healer.

I've only got 5 stat points in Magika and Stamina, all the rest are in Health, since about 10 levels ago I read that it's better to put all points into Health and use enchantments to get your other stuff.

My Magika's been creeping up a lot over the last few levels, even though all my gear enchants are for stamina. Not sure where it's coming from , passives, racials?

I'm now about 1050-1100 Health
and about
850 for Stamina and Magika

Shouldn't a tank have significantly more Health than any other stat?

Wondering if I need to respect in order to be balanced for endgame tanking.
  • dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    When you hit VR1 or close to 50 you will naturally want to respec simply to remove skills you never use.
  • Thunder
    Thunder
    ✭✭✭
    I've only got 5 stat points in Magika and Stamina, all the rest are in Health, since about 10 levels ago I read that it's better to put all points into Health and use enchantments to get your other stuff.

The same could be said for anything really. You should put all your points in Magika and gear for health. From what I've seen the game is pretty versatile, allowing you to explore things that match your style of play.

Personally, I strive for avoiding as much damage as possible with battlefield tactics, therefore I don't tend to need a lot of health and subsequently put all my points in magika. I typically quest 3-4 levels above my character level for a little extra challenge, and I get by just fine with base health. If I were to die more often, I'd probably start thinking about more HP, which is what I think the deciding factor really should be for everyone as individuals.

As far as tanking goes, this isn't a spank and tank game like other MMO's. You don't just stand there and soak up abuse while pressing 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4. Obviously as a tank you'll want all the HP you can muster, but with the overcharge factor, it's not like those other games where you just stack stam either.

In the end, and I know this sounds trite, the best way to go is the way you like best. You've gotta find out what works for you.
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    I think the reasoning for using attribute points for health is that each point gives +15 in health but only a +10 for the other two. Indeed I am looking forward to a skill points respec but not looking forward to paying for it.

In terms of Sword and Board skills, I have Ransack, Absorb Magic and Low Cut... the latter two seem situational at best, I thought i'd debuff my opponent as much as possible with them but in practice I haven't got the stamina to spare for that, I also don't have the free quickslots. Maybe if I get to know particular boss fights really well i'll swap them in on a per-boss basis.

I have to try and watch the health bars as well as what the boss is doing as I can heal with Honour the Dead if anyone goes below 50%. Found myself healing so much last night the DPS guys thought I was the main healer.

Then I've got a couple of skills in Undaunted - the first AOE health regen one - and working towards the third one, the agro skill..

And then there's Turn Undead, which is helpful on the trash.

I want plenty of health though, if I do make a mistake while tanking the boss I don't want to be oneshotted by it.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a tank, you want stamina for blocking/interrupting, health for... tanking and magicka if you have self heals and other defensive spells.
    Of course health is a priority, and 1050 health sounds pretty good considering at that level my sorc had something around 600.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    Of course one problem with adjusting my skill bar on a per boss basis, is that this game relies more heavily on muscle memory than LOTRO.

In that game it was a standard 1-2-3-4 on the keyboard then you had various tiers of skills that become available when you block or parry an incoming attack, but those one's i'd mostly click through (apart from the first one in each skill chain, which were bound to a mousebutton to save time). By clicking through it's not really possible to make a mistake, you see the icon before you click it. Long cooldown skills were tucked well out of the way so I couldn't accidentally waste them. You're also bound by the fact each skill takes a second or two to animate, so it's not really a "twitch" game.

ESO I can really mess up though after rejigging my quickbar. Even if I haven't but my hand is slightly out of place, I can empty my mana pool pressing 1 wondering when my character is going to use Ransack when in fact my mispositioned hand was pressing 2 and just cast 4 instant heals when no-one needed healing.

I'm finding it hard enough getting used to weapon swap.

Think a game controller is going to make things better, more ergonomic, less carpal tunnel syndrome, you still need muscle memory but at least you don't have to worry about your hand being misaligned over the keyboard.
  • ChiefofCereal
    Well I'm a DK tank at level 24 with 1137...so maybe get a little more?