Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Naming our Crafted Weapons/Armors

taylorwilenskiub17_ESO
Hello everyone,

Firstly, I apologize if this idea has been put forth already--then again, I do not as I think this is an incredible idea that all players would get behind on.

I believe it would bring many of us a great deal of enjoyment in having the ability to assign names to the weapons and armors we craft throughout our adventures in Tamriel. I have recently started powering through the Game of Thrones series and in one of the episodes it is mentioned that "All Legendary blades have a name". This got me thinking and made me realize that I would absolutely love having the ability to name a blade I personally crafted.

Doing this would be easy to implement and it would also add another layer of uniqueness and individualism to the game. In order to make this viable, re-naming should only be allowed to be implemented on crafted items from basic crafting stations around the world. Meaning that loot drop items would not be able to be re-named and armor/weapon sets crafted at unique crafting stations would not be able to be re-named.

I think this is a simple, yet interesting addition that should and could be added to the game. It would allow players to add-on to their own character's lore.

What are your thoughts on this?
  • ArgonianAssassin
    ArgonianAssassin
    ✭✭✭✭
    It'd be nice but how do you prevent people from crafting weapons/armor and naming them after end game items and trying to pass them off as such?
    "It is okay to fear the night, even the bravest warriors are filled with fright, at the sight of the might of Sithis' fang, let the blood be washed away by the rain, let the stains forever remain, another life taken in Sithis' name, another soul for the void. All hail our Dread Father and his consort, the Night Mother." -Stalks-His-Prey
  • taylorwilenskiub17_ESO
    It'd be nice but how do you prevent people from crafting weapons/armor and naming them after end game items and trying to pass them off as such?

Zenimax could simply make it so players couldn't name their personally crafted items after items that already exist as set pieces / loot drops.
  • SCSA
    SCSA
    ✭✭
    Agreed, but only on legendaries.
  • LadyInTheWater
    LadyInTheWater
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 50/50 on this.

I believe it would add an exciting amount of immersion being able to name my crafted legendary sword.

The only downsides to this, for me:

1) Half the swords in the game being some variant of Night-Blood-Death-Shadow-Flame-Dragon etc...

2) The other half being named SwagHammer, YoloBlade, HashtagPwnYoo, or NoobSlayer

Both of which would kill the joy right out the gate for me.
    The moment you call someone stupid, or try to display your opinion as "fact", you lose all credibility.
  • taylorwilenskiub17_ESO
    I'm 50/50 on this.

I believe it would add an exciting amount of immersion being able to name my crafted legendary sword.

1) Half the swords in the game being some variant of Night-Blood-Death-Shadow-Flame-Dragon etc...

2) The other half being named SwagHammer, YoloBlade, HashtagPwnYoo, or NoobSlayer

While I know that there will be some stupid names like that, you wouldn't be forced to wield them--nor would you be able to loot them. The only way you'd have to see the name is if you asked for such a weapon or seeing people show it off in chat and I don't see the latter being any more irritating that zone chat already is.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love this feature, but as mentioned above there are issues with people using poor choices of names for their crafted gear.

I'd definitely have a dunmer greatsword named "the Soul Reaver" though.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could make the CRAFTED BY more plain, but yes I loathe the idea of seeing trade spam for daggers name POOSTABBER or A$$REAPER...
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • lupusrex
    lupusrex
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with @LadyInTheWater‌ mostly on this. Ridiculously epic and just plain ridiculous names would abound. You would only need a stopwatch to determine how long it took between implementation and seeing your first "Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker" in zone chat. It wouldn't be much more than an annoyance though.

I could also see people getting confused at seeing something like that listed in chat and asking around where it dropped from.

On the other hand, you could name your crafted stuff in Skyrim. I thought that was pretty neat.

I guess I'm on the fence. :|
    Martial Keen-Eye ~ Templar Healer/Archer ~ Daggerfall Covenant

"I ain't done nothin'."
  • taylorwilenskiub17_ESO
    lupusrex wrote: »
    I'm with @LadyInTheWater‌ mostly on this. Ridiculously epic and just plain ridiculous names would abound. You would only need a stopwatch to determine how long it took between implementation and seeing your first "Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker" in zone chat. It wouldn't be much more than an annoyance though.

I could also see people getting confused at seeing something like that listed in chat and asking around where it dropped from.

On the other hand, you could name your crafted stuff in Skyrim. I thought that was pretty neat.

I guess I'm on the fence. :|

Underneath the description of crafted items it says "crafted by [player" so that would lessen any potential confusion that may arise with regards to wondering where a particular item dropped.
  • lupusrex
    lupusrex
    ✭✭✭
    Underneath the description of crafted items it says "crafted by [player" so that would lessen any potential confusion that may arise with regards to wondering where a particular item dropped.

I'm aware, but these are the same humans who ask for answers that can be found in their quest logs or who fail to notice that the items they want to buy or sell are bound. Not everyone is a thorough reader.
    Martial Keen-Eye ~ Templar Healer/Archer ~ Daggerfall Covenant

"I ain't done nothin'."
  • taylorwilenskiub17_ESO
    lupusrex wrote: »

I'm aware, but these are the same humans who ask for answers that can be found in their quest logs or who fail to notice that the items they want to buy or sell are bound. Not everyone is a thorough reader.

Well, in all honesty...those players deserve whatever misfortune happens to them as they brought it upon themselves.
  • Veshal
    Veshal
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I like the naming process for completely changing the name. However I think it would be cool to have access to use a bracket [ToV] for a guild tag or [Veshal] with a separate color animation. I think this is a small addition that doesn't completely open up an opportunity for dumb names and also should require skill points to unlock. I think if this would happen it should be rewarded to the crafters who take their gameplay seriously.

Just my opinion.
    Veshal of Elderblade
  • Sleepydan
    Sleepydan
    ✭✭✭
    SwagHammer?

Genius
  • UnexpectedSalad
    I'd love it, honestly. Because I know myself and some other people would throw some cool names on there, nothing too fancy, nothing too stupid.

But you know there is going to be names like what everyone else has listed above. And I don't really know how you're supposed to avoid people doing that kind of thing.

A cool idea, many would like it, but I don't think it's needed or really going to happen.

Maybe you can name some of your crafted weapons, but have them soulbound? unable to trade them, and spam the link to them in chat? I don't know, that'd be as far as I would take it as an MMO dev.

I don't know if you guys have heard of it, but there is an MMO called Mortal Online, you're able to do exactly what the OP suggests. And there is a name tag associated with the weapons name "made by Joe Bloggs" etc. Can't remember all the deets, but I didn't see any crazy names then.

But different sized community, different level of maturity, things I suppose you need to take into account before implementing something like that.
  • Wolfpack12c
    I love this idea and dota 2 had the greatest way of solving this...
    (this item has been renamed) in the top right corner under the bound or unbound area
  • Hellorush
    Hellorush
    ✭✭
    I think that is enough to create addon, which will change the appearance/name of the item just for you. You may look at your named blade, be happy with your immersion and such crap and it won't harm the gameplay of others

Also a helpful Advice how to "name" your item for now and show it to the others:
    Go link the dull item like "Sword of Frost". Copy the link from the chat string and paste it into Word document. Then edit the name of the item in Word as you wish, copy what you've got and paste it back into game's chat. You can even change the color of the bracketed name. Won't tell you how thou, because colored advertisement text makes everybody's eyes bleed and we don't need another person showing off in rainbow colors.

So people in chat will see bracketed [Mighty Sword of BlahBlahBlah] and it surely get their attention. But when clicking on that link in-game (the link still works if you didn't messed with anything but name) you see only the old version of the item. But that is something already. Far easier to sell "Staff of InstaKills and OneShots" then "Lightning Staff of Dullness". I guarantee it.
    Edited by Hellorush on April 23, 2014 3:11PM
  • tengri
    tengri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Because we the ppl are stupid and will abuse something like that left and right.
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! I've always wanted to craft my very own Sword Of A Thousand Truths.

Was that really a wow reference..... or was it? mmmmmmmmm

But really, I'm not buying a weapon named The ***...
  • LadyInTheWater
    LadyInTheWater
    ✭✭✭
    But you know there is going to be names like what everyone else has listed above. And I don't really know how you're supposed to avoid people doing that kind of thing.

I have an idea on how to avoid it...

Don't implement the ability to name crafted items =)
    The moment you call someone stupid, or try to display your opinion as "fact", you lose all credibility.
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    They need to work on the serial numbers on the items, when u craft a new item, the old serial number should be in there so dupes better tracked. Complex problem to fix i know.
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • fennecbuttrwb17_ESO
    Hello everyone,

Firstly, I apologize if this idea has been put forth already--then again, I do not as I think this is an incredible idea that all players would get behind on.

I believe it would bring many of us a great deal of enjoyment in having the ability to assign names to the weapons and armors we craft throughout our adventures in Tamriel. I have recently started powering through the Game of Thrones series and in one of the episodes it is mentioned that "All Legendary blades have a name". This got me thinking and made me realize that I would absolutely love having the ability to name a blade I personally crafted.

Doing this would be easy to implement and it would also add another layer of uniqueness and individualism to the game. In order to make this viable, re-naming should only be allowed to be implemented on crafted items from basic crafting stations around the world. Meaning that loot drop items would not be able to be re-named and armor/weapon sets crafted at unique crafting stations would not be able to be re-named.

I think this is a simple, yet interesting addition that should and could be added to the game. It would allow players to add-on to their own character's lore.

What are your thoughts on this?

You obviously haven't thought it through that much, considering they've tried this on and it has been suggested for many games, and the reason it is never implemented is because people will give their items "offensive" names.
  • cisadanepajsuxrwb17_ESO
    Kinda a cool idea, but i suspect the implementation isnt that simple. Lets hope this gets attention
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There has already been at least one thread about this. I can't imagine a worse use of resources. In that thread, I had made a comment, like others have here, that you would see ridiculous names, inappropriate names, and offensive names. I can imagine the zone chat, item linking spam now.
    Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
  • wrathwizard
    wrathwizard
    Soul Shriven
    But what if you made it so that only legendary items can be named? that may reduce the amount of swaghammers we see being sold in zone chat. Like when you improve a ebony sword to orange quality a box would appear saying "would you like to name your legendary blade?" or something along those lines. I'm all for this idea I think its great. Plus Zenimax could always put some kind of filter on naming items and make sure to ban the use of the words yolo and swag and anything else that could be offensive or stupid.
  • taylorwilenskiub17_ESO
    I think there is a fix for the issue some of you have not wanting to see those ridiculously named weapons. I believe the Devs could implement this if they wanted to:

Only allow players who own the item to see it's changed name; when linked in chat it's default name will show up.
  • Shadrail
    Shadrail
    I agree as well but only on Legendaries.
  • Vanity_Calamity
    Vanity_Calamity
    Soul Shriven
    Meh! What's the fun of having its normal name show up in chat, I want to feel unique!! I want everyone to know I feel unique :P and I would love to embed my blades with markings :3
  • Dark_Striker
    Dark_Striker
    Soul Shriven
    Not only would naming your weapons or armor be awesome, but I would like to see more unique crafting with etches, marks and color variations?
  • ShadoStalk3r
    I'm 50/50 on this.

I completely agreed with the idea of naming weapons until I read your thoughts on the second half. It would ruin the feel of the game to try kill a deadly Daedra boss king and then along comes SwagBoy69 with his HashtagYOLO in for the kill.

Thank you for the laugh, mate.
    PS4 EU Server
    PSN: ShadoStalk3r_
  • FightForWar
    FightForWar
    Soul Shriven
    I was thinking about this the other day to be honest :') I think they should put it in because it would be cool making something then renaming it so it stands out abit :)